Bropollocreed79

The best live music you've seen?

I was lucky enough to see Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphy's last night (which was amazing), and it left me thinking about all the shows I've been to: some were great, and some were utter shite (Kiss' original lineup tour in the early '00's still makes me shudder).

While last night was fantastic (Murphys closed with AC/DC's Dirty Deeds and I proceeded to promptly lose my mind and embarrassed Mrs. Creed to the point of a VERY uncomfortable car ride home)--Ive still seen better.

So, my question to all of you is, what was the best live show you've seen?  Anything goes, no genre is off limits.  Let it rip, and let's have some fun with it!

Slayer and Lamb of God. Those guys get an arena going all out apeshit. Much like Pantera, the energy of the band and the music fuels the crowd as well as guys who never mess up anytime I have ever seen them.

I've seen AC/DC live twice (sqeeeeeee!). Alice Cooper puts on a good show. So does Iron Maiden. Best show still goes to Angus and the gang.

angus-young-snap.jpg

It's a toss up between 3 shows for me - Hollywood Undead, Korn headlining w/ Stone Sour, and Slipknot headlining w/ Marilyn Manson

A hardcore festival that featured dozens of bands and was headlined by Terror

@Bropollocreed79 I saw Dropkick Murphy's years ago opening for Motorhead... both put on a great show... I can't remember what year it was, but it was a while back. I had never heard of Dropkick Murphy's before that, but have been a fan ever since. Had a bit of hearing damage from that show as the guys in Motorhead keep turning it up before and after every tune.
   The Kiss reunion tour was good, but I was disappointed in their performance, maybe I expected to much... but they are still a great band.

There have been many other bands I have seen over the years, some you may not have heard of, but many you would know. It surprises me to say this, but the best live show I have seen to date was Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour... on my birthday that year. I am more of a punker myself, but I still love Pink Floyd and it was one hell of a show!

10 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

I've seen AC/DC live twice (sqeeeeeee!). Alice Cooper puts on a good show. So does Iron Maiden. Best show still goes to Angus and the gang.

angus-young-snap.jpg

I've done AC/DC a few times, they've always been my favorite.  Live, they're pretty tough to top, especially if you were lucky to see them before they all started dying or going to prison.

41 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

Slayer and Lamb of God. Those guys get an arena going all out apeshit. Much like Pantera, the energy of the band and the music fuels the crowd as well as guys who never mess up anytime I have ever seen them.

Pantera live is like a religious experience.

13 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I still love Pink Floyd and it was one hell of a show!

I've had that happen more than once.  Went to an Andrew WK show 15 years ago and accidentally discovered Flogging Molly.  Not quite Pink Floyd, but I can relate to the sentiment.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I never got to see Pantera live, and that is my favorite band. Have seen live footage, but I could only imagine. Iron Maiden in Atlanta a few years back was fantastic as well. Motorhead was fantastic when I saw them as well, and that was about two years before Lemmy passed, but he put on a killer show in his age and health. I think the closest I will ever get to that Pantera show though is Slayer or Lamb of God. Their shows are intense and the rabid fans are a sight to behold.

Rockim Park while I was over in Germany. 2006 if memory serves. Korn comes off the stage and TOOL closes out the night. 

both shows i went to where amazing

Bullet for my Valentine, Lamb of God and Slipknot

In This Moment, Rob Zombie and Korn

I've been to a lot of concerts and shows in my life, but the best live music experience was when I was 5 and my father took me to Carnegie Hall (NYC) to see an orchestra perform the music of John Williams and when they played the Superman theme, I lost my damn mind, and it's still is the most impactful music memory I have. 

I had no concept of music-making then and I could not believe that PEOPLE were making that HUGE sound that I knew so well. I assumed it must've come out of some box or something, but I had no concept of digital then. 

It was incredible. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 4:03 AM, Risinggrave said:

Rockim Park while I was over in Germany. 2006 if memory serves. Korn comes off the stage and TOOL closes out the night. 

That sounds intense.  TOOL to close out is pretty strong for any venue or festival, regardless of one's taste in music.

On 6/3/2018 at 8:32 AM, The Wolf with that Toast said:

my favorite live concert was the Dragonforce Reaching into infinity tour

Nice.

14 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

I've been to a lot of concerts and shows in my life, but the best live music experience was when I was 5 and my father took me to Carnegie Hall (NYC) to see an orchestra perform the music of John Williams and when they played the Superman theme, I lost my damn mind, and it's still is the most impactful music memory I have. 

I had no concept of music-making then and I could not believe that PEOPLE were making that HUGE sound that I knew so well. I assumed it must've come out of some box or something, but I had no concept of digital then. 

It was incredible. 

We're pretty lucky here to have a world-class performance orchestra (Cleveland Orchestra) that has a lot of guest conductors.  I actually got to see John Williams guest-conduct them one time, and being a big Star Wars dork, I was on the verge of tears for most of it.  The Imperial March is absolutely breathtaking when you see it live.

I once saw The Trans Siberian Orchestra, and The Atlanta Symphany Orchestra (being that I am originally from right outside of Atlanta). That was also an amazing experience.

Also Megadeth and Anthrax were killer the last time I saw them. As well as Korn, Tool, Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Children of Bodom. Roger Waters was another great one live.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:44 AM, Bropollocreed79 said:

That sounds intense.  TOOL to close out is pretty strong for any venue or festival, regardless of one's taste in music.

It was great. We got rowdy during Korn and than TOOL came out with it's soft psychedelic stuff. 

The one issue I had was that it was a multistage venue and there was a band or two I had to miss. Well, I also had to navigate a strange city, which is always fun. Thankfully Alice in Chains guided me in the right direction once I got off the train in Nuremberg.

With that, here is the list of bands that played.

Prince ... hands down the best I've seen live and I was lucky to see him multiple times, including his last ever show in the UK.

Madonna, great live performer, but its more of a show with her, like theatre ... but she gives everything and I've always had a great time at her shows.  Foo Fighters, great energy, great songs, always leave everything on the stage. Ditto Coldplay, they always give everything and know how to construct a great show.  Springsteen was superb, lived up to his reputation as a brilliant performer and knows how to mix his popular stuff with his rare stuff just right.  New Order at Brixton couple of years ago will is still in my top five all time shows, blew me away, great remixes of their classics, new stuff sounded great, an unforgettable night.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:38 AM, Ahab said:

@Bropollocreed79 I saw Dropkick Murphy's years ago opening for Motorhead... both put on a great show... I can't remember what year it was, but it was a while back. I had never heard of Dropkick Murphy's before that, but have been a fan ever since. Had a bit of hearing damage from that show as the guys in Motorhead keep turning it up before and after every tune.
   The Kiss reunion tour was good, but I was disappointed in their performance, maybe I expected to much... but they are still a great band.

There have been many other bands I have seen over the years, some you may not have heard of, but many you would know. It surprises me to say this, but the best live show I have seen to date was Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour... on my birthday that year. I am more of a punker myself, but I still love Pink Floyd and it was one hell of a show!

Sadly before my time, but I'm a huge Floyd fan ... would loved to have seen them live. Have seen the 'Pulse' dvd a good few times, and even though Waters wasn't in the line up it looked like a stunning show.

3 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Sadly before my time, but I'm a huge Floyd fan ... would loved to have seen them live. Have seen the 'Pulse' dvd a good few times, and even though Waters wasn't in the line up it looked like a stunning show.

I am a punker at heart... but I love almost all kinds of music. I have to be in the mood to listen to Floyd... otherwise it is so mellow it puts me to sleep. They always put on one hell of a show though. They do have many live shows recorded, but its not the same as being there.

Before I met my wife, the only live music I went to see was my sister's school choir. Since then have only scene Skynyrd. I think they easily outrank the choir.. 😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ahab said:

I am a punker at heart... but I love almost all kinds of music. I have to be in the mood to listen to Floyd... otherwise it is so mellow it puts me to sleep. They always put on one hell of a show though. They do have many live shows recorded, but its not the same as being there.

I know what you mean about being in the right mood.  I find their stuff very melancholy, a little depressing even (apart from a very small number of songs like Coming Back To Life) ... so I have to be in the right head space for it. But when I'm in the right mood, wow! 

Wutang clan. The crowd put their hands up and method man walked on them as he rapped. 

• Like 1

On the rock side, Alice Cooper. On the rap side, a Christian rapper named Tedashii. The dude is like a 300 pound Samoan but he had the energy of an athlete. He jumped around and was hype the entire show and never once got out of breath or missed a beat, his flow was fire and I was thoroughly impressed Worst I've ever seen was Red, which actually used to be one of my favorite bands 

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2018 at 2:23 PM, badassgixxer05 said:

Before I met my wife, the only live music I went to see was my sister's school choir. Since then have only scene Skynyrd. I think they easily outrank the choir.. 😂

Did you see the original group before the fatal plane accident that killed most of them? Apparently footage of the original group is rare, although I did find a video on them on Youtube playing "Free Bird."

Edit: Personally I don't go to many live shows. I did once go to an excision concert though, and that was a blast. There was a point when a robotic raptor went on the stage out of the blue (just because), and the crowd went crazy.

Edited by Trident77

On 6/8/2018 at 6:00 AM, Bigblue2581 said:

Wutang clan. The crowd put their hands up and method man walked on them as he rapped. 

That must have been phenomenal.  I saw DMX once (a LONG time ago, before he went batshit insane), and the energy was incredible.