Jump to content
wes

Post Engine Update...umm..Update

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, wes said:

Are you insinuating there have been zero results over the last year the game has been on the market? Seems little hyperbolic, no?

Zero? Absolutely not. If you've been paying attention to my posts at all, you'd see I've always given credit where credit is due. (Removal of roof glitches, removal of other glitch spots, although there's always new ones...removal of door combat. Those are good things I can think of. Haven't fixed much else, honestly. Changed, yes. Fixed, debatable.)

Where you start to lose me is on long standing issues that the community has been extremely vocal about. Everyone in the office had to be well aware of the car rubberband situation. Somehow that got worse with this patch, Wes. Interactions have gotten worse. Driving is significantly worse. Animations are cut in almost half. Sounds drop all over...etc. I know - You know, it's on the list. Ok...Now let's see something done about it.

There's also no way that the stuff like the "Rainbow" effects and vibrating counselors on deaths weren't spotted in QA. Would be rather alarming if that was the case. But it was a matter of rolling with it, or delaying further, I guess. So I see why you guys just decided to ship it anyways. Especially with the anniversary 2 days later.

Trust me, I understand the desire and even need for you guys to release the content you've promised to deliver, and I commend you on that - SP Challenges are actually quite good - But it's really annoying that we can't have a single patch that drops solely to address bugs and other issues. It ALWAYS has to be lumped in with some other CONTENT, which in turn leads to new bugs. So there's never any reprieve from the bugs. We've never even had a period where we could play the game without game-breaking bugs, because there's always new issues being added with every. single. patch.

STOP adding stuff to the game. Iron it out. When the issues are resolved, then resume adding things (hopefully without introducing new issues).

It also wouldn't hurt you guys to add some for of Beta/Test build via Steam. More and more games do it. Let your community do the QA for you...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nowjoshua said:

No sound when locking doors or opening drawers as Victoria. Also I played last night and on my friends screen I was just standing there but on my screeen I was running around and this was after Jason grabbed me. I was far away from him but he still killed me 

This isn't just Victoria, it's for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Truth said:

To be fair, there are MORE bugs now than we had last week... From a pessimistic point of view, that's a step backwards...

This is true. I know this sounds very eye rolly, but it's the bugs you didn't see. The 400+ that were squashed before the update went live. And there are some that physically impossible to predict until the network is heavy. We can run network simulations where we set faux ping at a high rate, with high concurrents, but it's not the same thing as 15K players hitting everything at once. I'm not trying to make excuses, just trying to shed a little light on the process. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wes said:

This is true. I know this sounds very eye rolly, but it's the bugs you didn't see. The 400+ that were squashed before the update went live. And there are some that physically impossible to predict until the network is heavy. We can run network simulations where we set faux ping at a high rate, with high concurrents, but it's not the same thing as 15K players hitting everything at once. I'm not trying to make excuses, just trying to shed a little light on the process. 

Well if we never saw the bugs, why were they more important than the ones we DO see? I understand some of them were probably important, but who the fuck was setting traps IN tents? Did that really need to take priority over other things?

And I'm a little confused with your "15k players hitting everything at once" statement. Aren't console players connecting to each other rather than anything on your side? I truly don't understand how that works, so I can't really argue there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Zero? Absolutely not. If you've been paying attention to my posts at all, you'd see I've always given credit where credit is due.

Where you start to lose me is on long standing issues that the community has been extremely vocal about. Everyone in the office had to be well aware of the car rubberband situation. Somehow that got worse with this patch, Wes. Interactions have gotten worse. Driving is significantly worse. Animations are cut in almost half. Sounds drop all over...etc. I know - You know, it's on the list. Ok...Now let's see something done about it.

There's also no way that the stuff like the "Rainbow" effects and vibrating counselors on deaths weren't spotted in QA. Would be rather alarming if that was the case. But it was a matter of rolling with it, or delaying further, I guess. So I see why you guys just decided to ship it anyways. Especially with the anniversary 2 days later.

Trust me, I understand the desire and even need for you guys to release the content you've promised to deliver, and I commend you on that - SP Challenges are actually quite good - But it's really annoying that we can't have a single patch that drops solely to address bugs and other issues. It ALWAYS has to be lumped in with some other CONTENT, which in turn leads to new bugs. So there's never any reprieve from the bugs. We've never even had a period where we could play the game without game-breaking bugs, because there's always new issues being added with every. single. patch.

STOP adding stuff to the game. Iron it out. When the issues are resolved, then resume adding things (hopefully without introducing new issues).

It also wouldn't hurt you guys to add some for of Beta/Test build via Steam. More and more games do it. Let your community do the QA for you...

Will do my best to address:

Car rubberbanding - Yes this is known. It's a known issue across all UE games. If you're interested in why/how there's a lot of information on the UE forums. Not passing the buck, just saying that we know it's an issue, other UE multiplayer games know it's an issue, and everyone is looking for a fix.

Rainbow FX - We only saw this a couple times during QA. And not at the extreme that it's now showing up in the live build. But engineers worked over the weekend trying to identify the issues. It's tied to our 3rd party dynamic lighting system and the new UE engine update. We've narrowed down the issue. Hoping for fix very soon.

New Content - There have been hotfixes without content, but you are right, the major updates have new content. We want to get new stuff out to players, as there is a big demand for new this, or that. I personally get several tweets a day asking for a new Jason, new map, emotes, clothing, etc. So we're trying to keep everyone happy as much as possible. It's a juggling act, and we do end up dropping a few things on a consistent basis. 

-W

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Truth said:

Well if we never saw the bugs, why were they more important than the ones we DO see? I understand some of them were probably important, but who the fuck was setting traps IN tents? Did that really need to take priority over other things?

 

I think this pretty much sums up the general consensus. 400+ bugs were fixed? I don't remember seeing that many listed in the patch notes. Are the patch notes not a complete list of fixes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hell Toupee said:

Are the patch notes not a complete list of fixes?

They definitely don't list every CHANGE. Fixes, I'm not sure about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please make EXISTING bugs from former updates a priority. The fact that counselors shake or spew rainbow firework blood with the new update are irrelevant when we still have the car rubberband glitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Truth said:

Well if we never saw the bugs, why were they more important than the ones we DO see? I understand some of them were probably important, but who the fuck was setting traps IN tents? Did that really need to take priority over other things?

 

I suspect he meant that there were 400+ bugs introduced during the engine update that we would have seen had they not caught them first.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mawlock said:

This is why I hate pc users. They think because their the "master race" they deserve special treatment. 

Even though we are the superior gaming experience, this is not about that. Consoles cost too much to update frequently but PCs don't. So a lot these bugs and issues can be tested by us in the real world before it reaches the consoles. We'd actually be doing u guys a service.

@wes @ShiftySamurai can we get an answer on this? Is this a possibility? Thanks!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Barbara Ann said:

- Healing is inconsistent, sometimes you have to press the medspray slot 2 or 3 times, and even more, before the heal actually applies.

I've actually died in game from this after eating a trap near the phone box. This is like the car rubber band's sister. 

Hopefully they can sort them out soon. Trying to repair anything almost seems pointless at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wes said:

So we're trying to keep everyone happy as much as possible.

EVERYONE (regardless of what they're specifically asking for) wants the game to be as bug free as possible. THAT SHOULD BE THE PRIORITY. New content is pointless when the game remains a buggy mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Truth said:

Well if we never saw the bugs, why were they more important than the ones we DO see? I understand some of them were probably important, but who the fuck was setting traps IN tents? Did that really need to take priority over other things?

And I'm a little confused with your "15k players hitting everything at once" statement. Aren't console players connecting to each other rather than anything on your side? I truly don't understand how that works, so I can't really argue there.

Bugs you didn't see - I meant there were 400+ bugs that popped up from the engine upgrade that were fixed. Big issues. Game breaking, wholesale crashing, scaling, lighting, art, etc etc. The point I was trying to make was that the engine upgrade was a massive undertaking. It caused a mountain of bugs, that got squashed by the team. But some still slipped through. 

15K players - What I was trying to say is that within QA, we can simulate heavy traffic and traffic with high ping rates. But it's a simulation, it's not the same thing as real people playing. Humans do weird stuff. They boot the game, minimize window or go back to dashboard, load ESPN, unplug controllers, replug in different controller, all while game is either loading or already loaded. They close the game, reopen it, over and over. Then once in game, they do unpredictable behaviors. Or perhaps several in a match have high ping, and they all do unexpected things. Behaviors that we never thought to test against. You think you've seen it all, and then you hear about a bug where if you pick up a med spray, drop it, while simultaneously disarming a trap while holding walk backwards, the player is now able to fly or can now walk through doors, etc, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Truth said:

They definitely don't list every CHANGE. Fixes, I'm not sure about.

No we don't list every single bug that was fixed. It would be a novel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wes said:

Will do my best to address:

Car rubberbanding - Yes this is known. It's a known issue across all UE games. If you're interested in why/how there's a lot of information on the UE forums. Not passing the buck, just saying that we know it's an issue, other UE multiplayer games know it's an issue, and everyone is looking for a fix.

Rainbow FX - We only saw this a couple times during QA. And not at the extreme that it's now showing up in the live build. But engineers worked over the weekend trying to identify the issues. It's tied to our 3rd party dynamic lighting system and the new UE engine update. We've narrowed down the issue. Hoping for fix very soon.

New Content - There have been hotfixes without content, but you are right, the major updates have new content. We want to get new stuff out to players, as there is a big demand for new this, or that. I personally get several tweets a day asking for a new Jason, new map, emotes, clothing, etc. So we're trying to keep everyone happy as much as possible. It's a juggling act, and we do end up dropping a few things on a consistent basis. 

-W

Thanks for the transparent reply. That's why I used to like you so much.

Car rubberbanding - Ok. Weird that it wasn't a problem up until a certain time. But I've seen your tweet re: states and freezing, so I understand why it's happening. Just a real shame that it's had no resolution, and actually got worse. You almost have to abandon the car as an escape option.

Rainbow FX - Understandable. Also not a big deal as it's only a visual glitch, and has no real bearing on gameplay.

New Content - There's been maybe 1 or 2 hotfixes. That's not nearly enough. I also understand wanting to pander to the demands for new content. But that's where real executive decisions become key - and those do land on your shoulders. You have a choice to make - Do you want to pump shallow content into a broken game? Or do you want to do the job right and make the content actually worth getting? Content for a game no one is playing doesn't do a whole lot of good.

I can guarantee this game would have more players if it wasn't for all the game breaking bugs. Savvy, knowledgeable gamers want a functional game. Those people aren't playing because the game is a mess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wes said:

You think you've seen it all, and then you hear about a bug where if you pick up a med spray, drop it, while simultaneously disarming a trap while holding walk backwards, the player is now able to fly or can now walk through doors, etc, etc.

I know what I'm trying later!!!

Thanks for elaborating. Makes a little more sense now.

Also, don't push the rainbow blood fix too hard, I kind of like that one lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wes said:

Will do my best to address:

New Content - There have been hotfixes without content, but you are right, the major updates have new content. We want to get new stuff out to players, as there is a big demand for new this, or that. I personally get several tweets a day asking for a new Jason, new map, emotes, clothing, etc. So we're trying to keep everyone happy as much as possible. It's a juggling act, and we do end up dropping a few things on a consistent basis. 

-W

Speaking of old content.

So whatever happened to this? It would've made sense if he dropped before Part 4 given how far back that was. It seems like he was skipped right over. There was supposed to be a tune both Counselor and Jason could hear, his own stats, his own look, etc?

It would be great if you could confirm he was cancelled or not. Just some sort of information here would be great. There is no shame in admitting he was cancelled if that was the case.

http://www.f13game.com/news/retro-jason-skin-dlc/

UPDATE

We’re going to be removing Retro Jason for a little TLC work. Don’t freak out, it will only be a month or so. We have some plans for this Jason, as we will be adding new music that both the counselor AND Jason hear during gameplay. And trust us, you’ll like the results.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Speaking of old content.

So whatever happened to this? It would've made sense if he dropped before Part 4 given how far back that was. It seems like he was skipped right over. There was supposed to be a tune both Counselor and Jason could hear, his own stats, his own look, etc?

It would be great if you could confirm he was cancelled or not. Just some sort of information here would be great. There is no shame in admitting he was cancelled if that was the case.

http://www.f13game.com/news/retro-jason-skin-dlc/

UPDATE

We’re going to be removing Retro Jason for a little TLC work. Don’t freak out, it will only be a month or so. We have some plans for this Jason, as we will be adding new music that both the counselor AND Jason hear during gameplay. And trust us, you’ll like the results.

Retro Jason is in a weird place in comparison to the rest of the games artstyle, he needs his own intro and explanation as to why he looks like Barney. Show the counselors eating some Mushrooms or doing Acid around the campfire in his opening cutscene along with a saturated retro overlay turning everything blue/purple would be great. Then a big purple Jason cracking backs and chopping off limbs makes sense and turn the game match into an interesting experience vs an out of place meme one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wes will the cone around Jason's swinging ever be widen as previously stated that way Jason can hit multiple counsellors around him? Will you guys ever make it to where Emotes Require Stamina? What about Retro Jason as stated above ?Are you guys planning a Map for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fourkillmaster said:

Retro Jason is in a weird place in comparison to the rest of the games artstyle, he needs his own intro and explanation as to why he looks like Barney. Show the counselors eating some Mushrooms or doing Acid around the campfire in his opening cutscene along with a saturated retro overlay turning everything blue/purple would be great. Then a big purple Jason cracking backs and chopping off limbs makes sense.

Well im not really here to argue whether he deserves a place in the game or not.

1. They added his skin

2. Gave him his own tunes

3. Said he would be his own thing

I'm looking for news here, not a debate about whether he should be in or not. No offenses intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Speaking of old content.

So whatever happened to this? It would've made sense if he dropped before Part 4 given how far back that was. It seems like he was skipped right over. There was supposed to be a tune both Counselor and Jason could hear, his own stats, his own look, etc?

It would be great if you could confirm he was cancelled or not. Just some sort of information here would be great. There is no shame in admitting he was cancelled if that was the case.

http://www.f13game.com/news/retro-jason-skin-dlc/

UPDATE

We’re going to be removing Retro Jason for a little TLC work. Don’t freak out, it will only be a month or so. We have some plans for this Jason, as we will be adding new music that both the counselor AND Jason hear during gameplay. And trust us, you’ll like the results.

I want to answer this question with every fiber of my body. But we have something up our sleeve. It's not directly related to retro jason, but kinda is. It will all make sense in the future. But I don't want to ruin it. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fourkillmaster said:

with a saturated retro overlay turning everything blue/purple would be great. 

As long as only Jason see's it ok, but it's bad enough already because I have to listen to that stupid chase music, if I wanted to play the NES game I'd play it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wes said:

I want to answer this question with every fiber of my body. But we have something up our sleeve. It's not directly related to retro jason, but kinda is. It will all make sense in the future. But I don't want to ruin it. 

Alrighty then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Thanks for the transparent reply. That's why I used to like you so much.

Car rubberbanding - Ok. Weird that it wasn't a problem up until a certain time. But I've seen your tweet re: states and freezing, so I understand why it's happening. Just a real shame that it's had no resolution, and actually got worse. You almost have to abandon the car as an escape option.

Rainbow FX - Understandable. Also not a big deal as it's only a visual glitch, and has no real bearing on gameplay.

New Content - There's been maybe 1 or 2 hotfixes. That's not nearly enough. I also understand wanting to pander to the demands for new content. But that's where real executive decisions become key - and those do land on your shoulders. You have a choice to make - Do you want to pump shallow content into a broken game? Or do you want to do the job right and make the content actually worth getting? Content for a game no one is playing doesn't do a whole lot of good.

I can guarantee this game would have more players if it wasn't for all the game breaking bugs. Savvy, knowledgeable gamers want a functional game. Those people aren't playing because the game is a mess.

Yeah I get what you're saying for sure. We did make the decision on the engine update so we can get dedicated servers in. We went dark from a content perspective for nearly 3 months as we worked on this engine update. While not the same thing you're describing, but there were some "executive decisions" made. There are also intricacies with the license that tie us up too with regards to content. But as you'd expect, I can't really get into the details of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...