wes

Post Engine Update...umm..Update

1 hour ago, WashingtonJones said:

I can't see consoles as nothing but scaled down PCs at this point. There's nothing unique about them besides their underperformance and thier hardware architecture. 

That's why I love the Switch. It's a console that is a new expansion of something, instead of an abbreviation.

The accuracy of mouse and keyboard is no joke either. I'm new to it and I suck at it but I'm already more accurate, out the gate, with a mouse than a joystick.

All I see are restrictions now when I look at a console. 

It's unfortunate that people still want them. 

Either way, everything will come from the cloud eventually so they'll both be obsolete....hopefully sooner than later.

This is getting off-topic, so I'll be blunt about this. The whole console vs PC debate is more complicated than just hardware performance.

For starters, exclusive titles are a thing. When the company From Software announced they were created a spiritual successor of their famous Dark Souls series, their fans were excited, especially since it involved a Victorian setting with the players using guns. Then the fanbase got even more excited when they learned more official information about the game, such as its true name, Bloodborne.

Then said fans discovered that Bloodborne was going to be a PS4 exclusive title; the crushing announcement at that time pretty much speaks for itself. In this case, it doesn't matter if PC performs better than a console because Sony shelled out money for the exclusive rights.

Secondly, the cost of a gaming PC is undoubtly much higher than a console if you want one that plays at high specs. There's also the issue that every few years an upgrade pops up, and while they can normally be ignored for a good number of years eventually you have to upgrade. Which means shelling out even more money, whereas a console can last typically 4-8 years before you need to buy a new one. The current gen (Xbox One, PS4, Switch) sold their consoles well below $400 when calculating tax, and that money isn't even close to buying a half-decent PC gaming computer that runs current gen games unless you plan on playing games that don't require a high end computer to play. So in essence, every time a console owner has to "upgrade" they're not looking at a steep bill, whereas PC owners may have to buy new parts every so often in order to continue enjoying high performance (depends on if you cheaped out on certain hardware pieces when you first built your gaming PC).

Third, hacking is more promenient on PC since you can easily look up as well as modify the coding of a PC game. For console, that's more difficult to do because of the constant patching they go through. The only real time that consoles will become hacker territory is if it's an older gen that no longer receives support, but by that point most fans will have moved on to something better. On the flip side, if you like modding games, PC is the way to go (albeit it can get you into trouble when it comes to certain games in online play rather than offline).

Both have their pros and cons. I don't regret buying a PS4, and honestly I don't really care about graphics/performance either considering I play a lot of indie games to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

*PC Prices and upgrades*

Third, hacking is more promenient on PC since you can easily look up as well as modify the coding of a PC game. For console, that's more difficult to do because of the constant patching they go through. The only real time that consoles will become hacker territory is if it's an older gen that no longer receives support, but by that point most fans will have moved on to something better. On the flip side, if you like modding games, PC is the way to go (albeit it can get you into trouble when it comes to certain games in online play rather than offline).

Both have their pros and cons. I don't regret buying a PS4, and honestly I don't really care about graphics/performance either considering I play a lot of indie games to begin with.

I've been gaming on all platforms since I was about 13...I've just gone where the exclusives I want are. I've owned almost every console made since the SNES, with PCs along the way. I played the original Doom and Quake games on my PC when I was about 10.

You can build a PC and generally get a good 4-5 years out of it before needing major upgrades if you build mid to high tiers (generally just over $1000 on current hardware prices). If you build a "budget" PC, you'll be upgrading that POS constantly. But if you build a high end PC, you can stretch it quite far before you need upgrades. It's obviously more expensive. But it's all about personal preference and how much you're willing to dump into gaming. I just built a new PC recently. My last build was done in 2013 for the BF4 launch. I feel I got my money's worth out of it (approx. $1400 on the 2013 build - i5 3570, GTX 670), having it suite me quite well up until a few weeks ago. I was able to run F13 at 1080p on high settings at 70+fps other than in rain (consoles are a low/mid at a very shaky 30fps). It ran all other PC games I play above 60fps, which is where I set my bar. Not having to play F13 at the painful frames it runs on consoles is worth the price of a gaming PC for me :P But that's just me. I've been all about the frames since the early CS days.

Hacking is basically the only thing that's a true con to PC gaming. But I think everyone should be happy to game wherever they can, as long as they're playing the games they enjoy. The debates are just pointless.

2 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

I can't see consoles as nothing but scaled down PCs at this point. There's nothing unique about them besides their underperformance and thier hardware architecture. 

That's why I love the Switch. It's a console that is a new expansion of something, instead of an abbreviation.

The accuracy of mouse and keyboard is no joke either. I'm new to it and I suck at it but I'm already more accurate, out the gate, with a mouse than a joystick.

All I see are restrictions now when I look at a console. 

It's unfortunate that people still want them. 

Either way, everything will come from the cloud eventually so they'll both be obsolete....hopefully sooner than later.

You really have some deep hatred for  consoles. I used to be a pc gamer but switched to consoles. Not only was I worried I'd turn into some condescending twat toward console owners but I find that they deliver a good all round experience. 

Pc always had problems with poorly optimised games, crashes, having to constantly upgrade hardware, waiting for games that had already been out for ages and when they did come half the time they'd run like shit. Think gta 4 springs to mind, compare what you had to spend to run that at the time on a pc compared to buying a then xbox 360, it was a no brainer. Stop acting like the pc is the pinnacle of gaming experiences. People also enjoy the exclusives for consoles. 

Your main argument seems to be that the graphics and that consoles are holding everything back. Not everybody has a high end pc, so whats the next argument, if consoles theoretically disappeared, that all the cheap charlie pc owners are holding everything back? At this point you're turning on your own master race ?

• Thanks 2

Whoa whoa whoa

Ok I'm sorry 

There's way too many words on the screen right now

EDIT: I just finished reading some of it.

5 hours ago, Trident77 said:

exclusive titles are a thing.

I don't really like video games. I like playing video games, but I don't think there is anything original that I've cared about since Resident Evil. Everything else has just been, sequels, Batman, wrestling or Tiger Woods PGA Tour for the PlayStation 2...I must've been one of the best players in the world in that game. I wish I had online for that to know for sure. I got a par 4 hole-in-one. I was getting double eagles like it was nothing. I actually became a scratch golfer in real life because of that game. No, but I went to the driving range once and was clobbering them with a 6 iron. Anyway, the only exclusive I go for is Mario because he's the best. Mostly Mario Kart. I like Call of Duty; that was after Resident Evil I think. I also like all of the Resident Evil movies.  

Secondly, the cost of a gaming PC is undoubtly much higher than a console if you want one that plays at high specs.

For this one there will be an asterisk in the record book, as Gorilla Monsoon would say. 

Before crypto-currency shot the price of GPUs into outer space (and RAM too); you could build a PC for the same price of a console (not one of those scaled down $199 ones, but the good ones. The $400 - $500 ones) that would still out perform a console and be more than just a giant phone without a screen. You could run real programs on it too. You can customize everything about it. There's no restrictions. And you also had the majority of games running at at least 60fps, which makes a big difference in visuals and playability. The higher the frame rate the lower the latency, the more accurate you can be. If 60fps's latency is too high, Jesus, I wonder how bad 30fps is.      

Right now a PC equivalent to the XBox One X will cost considerably more. But regardless, I'll feel good about spending $1000 on a PC, but the thought of spending $200 on an Xbox or PS always felt like too much of a waste of money. I get so much more value (and power and performance and frame rate) out of my PC.

Third, hacking is more promenient on PC since you can easily look up as well as modify the coding of a PC game.

I have over 1000 hours in F13. That's a lot. I've seen a lot. And I've only seen true 3rd party program using, advantage gaining, hacking ONCE in over one thousand hours of playing this game. 1000. Over 1000. 1034 to be exact. What people see on YouTube are mostly consolidated clips that make it seem like it's a lot more than it is....kinda like the news does.  

3 hours ago, kohagan said:

You really have some deep hatred for  consoles. I used to be a pc gamer but switched to consoles.

I don't hate consoles. I used to love them. I love the Nintendo Switch.

some condescending twat toward console owners

Nah, I'm just trying to wake you guys up.

Pc always had problems with poorly optimised games, crashes, having to constantly upgrade hardware,

You gotta shop smarter. Low to mid tier components can't handle crappy development as well. I'm over 100fps on everything Epic right now. I think that's 4-6 ms of latency. That's silky smooth controls right there. 

Your main argument seems to be that the graphics and that consoles are holding everything back.

No, we got performance accuracy, ultimate customization, multiple highly functional ways of communication....
I don't think consoles are holding everything back, but they held back this game, and I'm sure this isn't the only one. They're weakening the video gaming landscape. It could be a lot stronger if they weren't the focus of so much of a developer's attention. 

Not everybody has a high end pc, so whats the next argument, if consoles theoretically disappeared, that all the cheap charlie pc owners are holding everything back? At this point you're turning on your own master race ?

I read that 8 times and I still don't understand it. I'm gonna answer to what I think you're asking and that answer is: There would be no problem. They could turn their settings down.

TL;DR: WHERE'S THE POST UPDATE PATCH! IT'S ALREADY PAST MID WEEK!!!! (I used the TL;DR to cover my ass. They're probably gonna lock this shit. But if they see this, they might just walk past) 

12 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

Nah, I'm just trying to wake you guys up

Wake up to what? If I didn't already have a high end PC that I mainly use for video editing, you've basically told me I could drop at least $1K so I can play Friday the 13th at 60fps and use a keyboard and mouse. No thanks. If I was in that situation I'd happily take the PS4 version any day. Moreover, I have it on both platforms already, and I still play the PS4 version more.

4 minutes ago, SteveChristy said:

you've basically told me I could drop at least $1K so I can play Friday the 13th at 60fps and use a keyboard and mouse. No thanks. 

There are other games besides F13.

6 minutes ago, SteveChristy said:

Moreover, I have it on both platforms already, and I still play the PS4 version more.

That's cool. It's what you're used to. I know multi millionaires that prefer live in modest homes. 

8 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

There are other games besides F13.

That's cool. It's what you're used to. I know multi millionaires that prefer live in modest homes. 

Yep, I play those too, and my PS4 still gets plenty of exercise.

Lol, somehow I doubt that. But, for the sake of making up shit, I'm a multi-millionaire too, and guess what, I own both, and like each for different reasons, and guess what else? My shit doesn't smell sweeter than anyone else's (neither does yours).

29 minutes ago, SteveChristy said:

Lol, somehow I doubt that. But, for the sake of making up shit,

I'm not making anything up. Late last year I actually had a billionaire over my house. That's the first and only time I met one of those, at least as far as I know.   

35 minutes ago, SteveChristy said:

and guess what else? My shit doesn't smell sweeter than anyone else's (neither does yours).

Right now my shit smells terrible because I've been eating eggs in the morning again. Sometimes it does have a sweet smell and that's the most disgusting. 

10 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

Right now my shit smells terrible because I've been eating eggs in the morning again. Sometimes it does have a sweet smell and that's the most disgusting. 

At least we can agree on something. Mine is reeking of bacon cheeseburger with raw white onions and chili cheese fries.