Ok , guys , I heard from a lot of People that Jason was scary at Launch. I wasn´t here yet at Launch , so I don´t know.

Now , what made him actually scary? Was it the extremely Long grab range? Was he scary because you didn´t know how he worked? Was there less trolling or something?

I may add a poll sometime , if there will be conflicts or something like that.

Thanks for reading!

If you have an Idea , how to make it scarier , let us know!

Edited by The Wolf with that Toast
Added something

Long grab range definitely made a big difference.

But probably just the fact that it was a new game made it scarier than what it is now.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, malloymk said:

Long grab range definitely made a big difference.

But probably just the fact that it was a new game made it scarier than what it is now.

That and the fact that nobody had a clue how to kill Jason yet. Since that became common knowledge, it's been a pinata party on Jason.  I was killed as Jason for the first time in QP the other day by a Jason hunting party.  It wasn't fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Likely the newness of the experience.  I also wasn't there at launch, however speaking from myself when I started out, when Jason finds me and follows me, I'm dead.  It took maybe a month or two for players and resources to come out to teach how to effectively deal or fight Jason, and since then, any unprepared Jason became a Piñata to knowledgeable players, to the dismay of many scrubby Jasons.

24 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

That and the fact that nobody had a clue how to kill Jason yet. Since that became common knowledge, it's been a pinata party on Jason.  I was killed as Jason for the first time in QP the other day by a Jason hunting party.  It wasn't fun.

Everyone pretty much knew how to kill Jason at launch, it wasn't the secret it was intended to be.

But it was basically the newness to most people. My first match as Jason I slashed everyone because I didn't know which button was the grab button. It also took me about a week to recognize what the propeller looked like.

It has basically gone from "Oh shit Jason is here, what do we do" to "Jason is here, hit him with a bat while I put this battery in". It's like watching the Jason movies themselves, maybe the first time you watched it was a little scary, but by the 13th time you've watched the same movie you are watching it for the kills.

The excitement of the game and the fact that most people playing back then were people that actually wanted to play and immerse themselves into the F13 world. Lobbies weren't full of kids or trolls, they were full of fans of the series.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jason relies on Jump Scares to be 'scary'.

F13th was never really scary.  Not for me anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The game is scary the first few times you play it. However, it's been out for a year now and some of us have played over a thousand rounds. Nothing will continue to be scary after that much exposure, and making tweaks to his play style isn't going to change that.

• Like 1

I dunno, man. I've been playing since launch, and if a skilled Jason manages to stalk and shift grab me, I'm gonna jump out of my seat and scream like a girl haha! That happened a few times while either fixing the phone box or the cars. I stupidly swam to the island in Higgins Haven once, and Jason had stalk on and managed to ambush me in the water on the way back to the mainland after I stole the sweater. Scary shit. But, most of the time now, nah it's not too scary. It can be intense, sure, but not super scary. Like I said, only stalking Jason that lands a good shift grab can be really startling.

Jason was never scary. You can't build up enough immersion in a multiplayer game for it to be scary. Kind of hard to be scared when the squeaker playing Jason is telling you he is going to kill you over the microphone as he splinters the door in while the two twenty somethings in the cabin next door complain about how the Patriots got robbed in the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it wasnt really scary to me, i think if we had 1st person it might be a lil scary but in 3rd it really takes away from it, just think about other games considered to be scary, a large portion are in 1st with limited view, jasons stalk is useless bc you can run forward an 360 ur camera so he'll be spotted an cant really sneak up on you.

• Like 1

A lot of people think it was scary because they probably saw a lot of streamers hamming it up before they bought the game.

Back then it had more tension because nobody knew what to do.

I didn't get to be Jason for quite a good amount of time at launch. Maybe a week? I played a LOT during that week and it was always as a counselor. I had absolutely no idea how Jason worked, what he was capable of, how quick he could move around the map, etc. This made things really tense during each and every playthrough. I got extremely lucky and got very few talking Jason players as well. I guess at that time, every Jason player was trying to make things scary by not talking? I don't know, but it was great. I miss those days. Now it's just trolls, dancing Chads, and quitters.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TestedTwice said:

I didn't get to be Jason for quite a good amount of time at launch. Maybe a week? I played a LOT during that week and it was always as a counselor. I had absolutely no idea how Jason worked, what he was capable of, how quick he could move around the map, etc. This made things really tense during each and every playthrough. I got extremely lucky and got very few talking Jason players as well. I guess at that time, every Jason player was trying to make things scary by not talking? I don't know, but it was great. I miss those days. Now it's just trolls, dancing Chads, and quitters.

I don't talk. It's makes Stalk useful.  

12 minutes ago, TestedTwice said:

I don't talk. It makes Stalk useful.  

29 minutes ago, TestedTwice said:

I definitely prefer to go radio silent over the mic when I'm Jason Voorhees. The man's a mute, he doesn't talk, so why should I talk when the music cue announces me enough as it? Even if I play with my friends in Quick Play matches, I don't speak over the mic when I am Jason. If I'm a counselor, you bet I'll be talking, even if I'm the only one there. As someone who has done some YouTube vidoes and have absolutely no fame for it haha, I am no stranger to being alone in a room talking to myself or to a camera. When I put it that way I sound like a very lonely dude... ?

• Like 1

I think not knowing where anything was, layouts, spawn points, etc made the game a lot more tension filled to start with. Not having a map or walkie talkie and not knowing how the map was laid out early on in the games life really helped ramp up tensions and OH SHIT moments! Even an inexperienced Jason could make you jump and get your adrenaline rushing by popping out of nowhere when we were rookies. lol... that’s why i enjoy new maps so much. When i get one, i prefer doing it with no map or walkie talkie perk to try and recapture a little of that feeling

• Thanks 1

THICK SKIN - Nobody had this perk, if Jason hit you with a knife you were in for a world of hurt, if he trapped the phone you weren't going to run onto unless you had a medspray. He could easily slash you and negate your pocketknives. Nobody knew the meta either, plus he had Mr fantastic grab range and if you were in a cabin with him he'd get you.

On 5/28/2018 at 8:36 AM, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Was he scary because you didn´t know how he worked?

For me, this is probably it. Not really understanding the game and all the mechanics kept you on edge the whole match. Those chases were fucking legit back then. Especially before I realized the difference between his chase music and the regular music that plays.

It was a couple of factors, the main one being that people just weren't good yet, and didn't know the ins and outs of every single aspect of the game. You also NEVER saw the Jason gank squads that roll around in every other lobby. He didn't get stunned from every single melee attack. 

Well , I may add something.

When I started playing (that was around October) , I wasn´t afraid of Jason. Now sometimes I am afraid.........I am not always afraid but when I am , I shit my pants.

7 minutes ago, fourkillmaster said:

THICK SKIN - Nobody had this perk, if Jason hit you with a knife you were in for a world of hurt, if he trapped the phone you weren't going to run onto unless you had a medspray. He could easily slash you and negate your pocketknives. Nobody knew the meta either, plus he had Mr fantastic grab range and if you were in a cabin with him he'd get you.

Lol. Plenty of people had thick skin and it went as high as 60% it I'm not mistaken.

I remember hitting LaChappa 14 times as part 3 Jason before he finally died.

I have said many times and will continue to say Jason should always be in stalk if he’s not visible to the player. That would definitely elevate the fear factor. Imagine climbing out a window and boom! He’s there. Or filling up the car and you don’t get s music cue he’s walking up behind you. This would promote more team work so someone is with you to look out for you and let you know he’s there so you can run. 

• Like 1