Dolemite

Every Bot has Multiple Pocket Knives and Firecrackers ARRRGGHH

To start off, I'm NOT one of the people that complained about the AI in single player bot mode. Actually found it a welcome relief from the stressful environment in multiplayer and a good way to practice and brush up on techniques. But with this update, even on normal or easy, bot mode has become possibly even more stressful then multiplayer. I'm in the middle of a bot match right now...I've only killed two people so far, and I have literally eaten 8 pocket knives. 8 pocket knives, with some counselors knifing me twice in a row. I mean, holy shit.

Every bot, and I mean EVERY BOT, has a pocket knife, and some have MULTIPLE pocket knives, in fact. No matter how early I grab ahold of a counselor, they have a pocket knife, leading me to believe that they're actually starting the game off with them as opposed to finding them. Also, every counselor has shit-tons of firecrackers and are constantly using them. I admit that the AI needed a little bit of work, but now it's way, way, way too far in the opposite direction. It's actually worse now than it was in multiplayer mode when that was at its worst in terms of the overkill of defensive weapons.

Other than that, I do have to applaud some of the changes that have been made to the AI of the bots. They are more aggressive now, are better at defense and evading, and are even smart enough to abandon the car as I'm approaching it if it hasn't been started yet! Plus, a lot (not all, but a lot) of the Glitchy Behavior has been eliminated...bots aren't jumping in and out of windows over and over nearly as much now, for example. That's all really good stuff. But the amount and frequency of the pocket knives and firecrackers absolutely MUST be addressed in the next update. It's maddening at the moment.

I like the bots being smarter and more of a challenge, but all the pocketknives and firecrackers are just a cheap and artificial way to make the game "harder."

• Thanks 2

They are starting with all their items, including the fuse they stated this when they announced the upgrades to the bots. It's why they can call the cops before you can gather your knives.

The only way to make AI harder without spending millions on developing it, is to give the bots more hit points, or add a lot more of them. By giving them all a get out of grab free card they have essentially doubled the actual number of bots you have to kill.

They are gonna rename Offline Bots and officially call it "DorianRo Mode".

It's where councilors get unlimited resources and make Jason look like a regular ol' bitch.

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

They are starting with all their items, including the fuse they stated this when they announced the upgrades to the bots. It's why they can call the cops before you can gather your knives.

I had no idea that they actually announced that this was the case...I could have sworn they actually just said that the bots would have better awareness of where the items would be, and would go for them more often, NOT that they would start out with said items already. If true, that's flat-out retarded.

Like I said, other than the knives and firecrackers, I think the bot AI has been finely tuned for this update. Fewer defensive weapons and I think it would be really good. Where is right now is just fucking annoying and it's sucked a lot of the fun out of single player mode.

I've only done a few bot games, but they're not that much harder really. The amount of knives adds a bit of challenge. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

I had no idea that they actually announced that this was the case...I could have sworn they actually just said that the bots would have better awareness of where the items would be, and would go for them more often, NOT that they would start out with said items already. If true, that's flat-out retarded.

Like I said, other than the knives and firecrackers, I think the bot AI has been finely tuned for this update. Fewer defensive weapons and I think it would be really good. Where is right now is just fucking annoying and it's sucked a lot of the fun out of single player mode.

I can't find the exact quote I remember seeing, but in the first part of shifty's post on the new bots, he says they may have a perk that lets them be equipped with  a "defensive" item. That to me reads as they have a firecracker perk for the bots. It stands to reason they gave them a pocket knife perk also. 

5 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

I've only done a few bot games, but they're not that much harder really. The amount of knives adds a bit of challenge. 

They’re not “harder”. Every single one just has pocket knives and firecrackers. The exact same problem that multiplayer had and they fixed because it was indeed a problem. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

I don't mind some of the counselors having a pocket knife or firecrackers, but ALL of the counselors now have pocket knives AND firecrackers. Sometimes you just want to start up single player and kill a few motherfukers without constantly eating multiple knives over and over and over.

I don't mind a little bit of a challenge, but this is purely an artificial (read as: cheap) one.

8 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

I can't find the exact quote I remember seeing, but in the first part of shifty's post on the new bots, he says they may have a perk that lets them be equipped with  a "defensive" item. That to me reads as they have a firecracker perk for the bots. It stands to reason they gave them a pocket knife perk also. 

Some of the counselors having a perk is different than ALL of the counselor starting with defensive items, which appears to be the case. Either that or they're just all scrambling for the all drawers in every single cabin, kind of like how real life players do.  :)

• Thanks 1

@Charlie Chainsaw The addition of the knives make the surprise shift grabs less likely to yield a kill. Making you waste more time on the bot in question. They also do seem a bit smarter. So overall I'd say they are a bit harder. Not much, but enough to make it more enjoyable. For me at least.

@Dolemite I get that. I always thought they were far too easy so this is a welcome change to me. Best advice I can give you is slash them.

@thrawn3054 I've been slashing them every time lately, but I don't wanna! Sometimes I just want to be able to grab a counselor and know and I can pull off a cool kill, especially if I'm experimenting with the various environmental kills that are sometimes difficult to pull off in multiplayer.  :(

@Dolemite The game might not be able to differentiate between modes. I thought you weren't supposed to run into this on easy but maybe it's stuck on hard mode?

I don’t know what yal are bitching about. I just played 3 offline bots matches on hard and the cops weren’t “called immediately” or at all. And no cars were repaired. Tommy was only called one match as well. This game seems to really facilitate disparate experiences. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

I don’t know what yal are bitching about.

Who is this Yal person? I don't know anyone named Yal.

And you're right...I guess we're making it all up. Only your experience matters!

The slashing meta has infected Offline mode. There is huge difference between improving AI behavior and giving them a perk loadout, and straight up giving the bots every crutch possible to make your game less "challenging" and more infuriating.

I wouldn't mind it so much if we could turn Mother's voice off. We have to listen to her 70% more. Get's really tiresome.

Geez, first the bots are too easy, now they have too many pocket knives, firecrackers etc. Some people are never happy. I like the new AI because it takes effort to win, they just don’t all hide in closets anymore. For those who think they repair the phone too quickly, try trapping it first.

The one thing that still bugs me is that still no boats spawn, and playing on a large map with one vehicle is too easy.

1 minute ago, TheRaven said:

Geez, first the bots are too easy, now they have too many pocket knives, firecrackers etc. Some people are never happy. I like the new AI because it takes effort to win, they just don’t all hide in closets anymore. For those who think they repair the phone too quickly, try trapping it first.

As I said dude, I think the AI is actually at a good level right now...like you said, they stopped hiding in closets all the time and actually make some effort to win. Being loaded with pocket knives and firecrackers isn't an AI issue, it's a balance issue, and a cheap one at that.

And yeah, morphing immediately to the fuse box and trapping it helps a great deal.

The fact that the bots all spawn with pocket knives instead them finding them is just stupid and annoying to deal with, it's not fun at all now.

2 hours ago, Dolemite said:

To start off, I'm NOT one of the people that complained about the AI in single player bot mode. Actually found it a welcome relief from the stressful environment in multiplayer and a good way to practice and brush up on techniques. But with this update, even on normal or easy, bot mode has become possibly even more stressful then multiplayer. I'm in the middle of a bot match right now...I've only killed two people so far, and I have literally eaten 8 pocket knives. 8 pocket knives, with some counselors knifing me twice in a row. I mean, holy shit.

Every bot, and I mean EVERY BOT, has a pocket knife, and some have MULTIPLE pocket knives, in fact. No matter how early I grab ahold of a counselor, they have a pocket knife, leading me to believe that they're actually starting the game off with them as opposed to finding them. Also, every counselor has shit-tons of firecrackers and are constantly using them. I admit that the AI needed a little bit of work, but now it's way, way, way too far in the opposite direction. It's actually worse now than it was in multiplayer mode when that was at its worst in terms of the overkill of defensive weapons.

Other than that, I do have to applaud some of the changes that have been made to the AI of the bots. They are more aggressive now, are better at defense and evading, and are even smart enough to abandon the car as I'm approaching it if it hasn't been started yet! Plus, a lot (not all, but a lot) of the Glitchy Behavior has been eliminated...bots aren't jumping in and out of windows over and over nearly as much now, for example. That's all really good stuff. But the amount and frequency of the pocket knives and firecrackers absolutely MUST be addressed in the next update. It's maddening at the moment.

If you put the bots on easy they will be the easy going, easy to kill, farm bots. I like the fact that if you put them on Hard you get what you ask for.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, guitar.zombie said:

Stop bitching.

Thanks for the engaging feedback...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

The fact that the bots all spawn with pocket knives instead them finding them is just stupid and annoying to deal with, it's not fun at all now.

I’ve played a ton of offline bots so far since the update, (I hate playing online MP) it seems to have a percentage of pocket knives per difficulty, with Easy being 25%, Normal being 50%, and Hard being 75%. 

1 minute ago, guitar.zombie said:

:pocketknife:✌️

I was being sarcastic...

By saying you were "engaging" in the discussion , when all you really done. Was posted "Stop bitching".

• Like 1