Sign in to follow this  
Maggot Head

So is it safe to say Jason's grab is fine after the patch?

I like the grab range is longer (to me) and while I do like the new animation grab, it can also be a bad thing if you're trying to grab in a group of counselors or if you're chasing a Vanessa or Tommy and they dodge your grab it's basically a free stun on Jason since the animation is slow. I feel it's progress, but it needs a little more tweaking and maybe make the animation faster and then that might help alot. 

55 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

Do you really think the people testing this game, assuming such people even exist, are at the level of skill where they're following behind a counselor and quickly going into combat stance and blocking as soon as they see the attack animation start? Hell, they probably aren't afforded the opportunity because the people they're chasing, the other play testers, are never going to attack like that to begin with.

i feel like they probably saw these issues but decided to put it out anyway because they probably felt the pressure to meet the one year anniversary deadline. In their minds these  bugs and glitches can be remedied sometime down the road.

It takes some getting used to, but I find it's actually easier to shift grab and I like the extra directional momentum you get with it. That said, the width needs to be looked at.

• Like 1

I do not like the grab. The range doesn't feel that much more significant, the width is so tiny that shift grabbing against any Counselor that is actually dodging is almost impossible. Coming out of a shift and stalk, where they have no idea, yea its ok, but you cant rearlly do anything against Vanessas and chads. 

Body blocking is gone now from my experience. 

Overall, Jasons kill potiential feels really week but the patch actually buffed his defense((no more free hits through the door))

• Like 1

Personally, I like the new grab, feels more smooth than before. Sure it has drawbacks like not being to pivot out of a shift while doing it, but after getting plenty of practice with the offline bots, I got a good idea on how to execute it in quick play matches when I can. I don't always land it, but when I do people die (or I get stabbed in the f***ing neck).

So is it safe to say Jason's grab is fine after the patch?

What is this? The Marathon Man? Hiyoooo! Go look up a clip. You'll enjoy it.

Anyway, yes it is safe. It is definitely different but not enough that my normal course of focus needed to change. I've in fact found it beneficial in straight on shift grabbing from behind. No finesse.

A few misses were taken advantage of, but it still felt par for the course. I haven't yet been in a situation to truly feel the effects of his new vulnerability, but I can tell it'll get bad. It would be nice if they gave us the ability to block in some way. It is a pretty lengthy animation. 

It only hits in a straight line, it needs to be widened and recovery needs to be sped up, its way to slow, if they do those 2 things it’s fine.

On 5/27/2018 at 2:21 PM, damnenchiladas said:

Old grab. New Grab. Can anyone explain to me how the hell to shift grab because I haven't been able to do it for months? I shift all the way up to a counselor to the point of making contact, pull the trigger, and I always come up empty. But yet, I some how managed to get shift grabbed a lot. What am I doing wrong? Is it PS4 and lag? Is it timing? 

When i shift grab i use my sense make them glow red so when i do the shift grab i can seem them real easy makes catching them much easy to do. Try this if this isn't how you play and you will see a bid difference.

On 5/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, LordxSesshomaru said:

I do not like the grab. The range doesn't feel that much more significant, the width is so tiny that shift grabbing against any Counselor that is actually dodging is almost impossible. Coming out of a shift and stalk, where they have no idea, yea its ok, but you cant rearlly do anything against Vanessas and chads. 

Body blocking is gone now from my experience. 

Overall, Jasons kill potiential feels really week but the patch actually buffed his defense((no more free hits through the door))

Yeah, you can’t body block anymore. A counselor, can now easily save their team mate, effortlessly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

A few misses were taken advantage of, but it still felt par for the course. I haven't yet been in a situation to truly feel the effects of his new vulnerability, but I can tell it'll get bad. It would be nice if they gave us the ability to block in some way. It is a pretty lengthy animation. 

Yes it does get bad. It is beneficial in straight on shift grabbing like you said, but really how often does someone have the opportunity for that unless they are up against new players. No experienced player will be running in a straight line to evade Shift. The problem with it is very narrow range, and being very punishable on whiff. 

And even though it looks like it has good reach because of the forward push in the animation, I am pretty sure that has actually been nerfed too. It looks better, but it performs worse in practice. Grabbing off a block is fine of course, so I’d recommend sticking to that mainly.

I stated that the new grab animation was going to be controversial before the update. I guess right.

Your don't just change a core mechanic and expect everyone to like it. 

On 5/27/2018 at 6:18 AM, Jasonlives4ever said:

Yes i experienced this first hand a lot last night. When i tried to go to my blocking stance I either wasn't able to and would get hit first or it would be a delayed response getting into the blocking stance. The controls to block are now clunkier than ever. How the testers could miss this is beyond me.

I know right! I now avoid playing as Jason online due to the horrendous combat stance delays. I lost my mask and everything... new bugs make me even more vulnerable. I’ve dealt with a bug that prevents me from swinging, grabbing, and even running until I activate Shift, so I have to wait for its availability to stop it. All I can do is walk away to try and avoid getting hit... doesn’t work often. Sigh.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:26 AM, Charlie Chainsaw said:

I like it. But I do think the radius needs to be expanded. It’s too narrow. 

You are correct, sir.

• Like 1

I like the straight thrust/stinger and thought that there wasn’t much difference in how it actually performed. Well, I just played a match and Vanessa was the last one. When I was close enough (so it looked) I would grab, miss and she turned and smacked me. Also, I used to be able to swing bait to get the grab, but it missed every time.

Granted, I am not an expert grabber but this was a bit ridiculous. Got to give the player credit, they knew the exact spacing to just stay out of reach and make you pay for it. 

I like it. I find it much easier to intercept kiters who try to make a living out of refilling their stamina off melee attacks. If I'd encounter someone with an epic Swift Attacker perk in the middle of the match after dispatching a few with normal swing times I'd usually get blasted one good time before I'd adjust to the speed. Now I just snatch them up, perk or not. As soon as I see the first frame of their swing I grab and have caught them every time. Results were always mixed with the old grab.

The grab is still awful.  Much prefer being able to grab from the side rather than only from straight ahead.  Still experiencing them basically phasing through my arms and hands.  Going to have to start saving clips I guess, because it is ridiculous in my experience.  Completely random when it will actually work and completely unreliable, basically better off slashing unless they are afk.

Don't understand how anyone could claim to do better with the new grab.  I claim shenanigans.  Proof, tips, whatever??? 

Edited by MaxRenn82
Accidentally underlined

On 5/27/2018 at 7:01 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Had a match in quick play as Jason last night and the grab is pretty bad. Jason can't turn after activating it. He needs to be able to swivel during its animation. Seems like it has a very narrow range as well.

Agree as well, way too narrow.  I'm not trying to snipe a hostage taker, I'm trying to grab someone with a 6 foot mongoloid with huge hands!  ?

After a few rounds with the bots I'm liking it better. I feel like maybe those having trouble don't know that if you hold in r1 while shifting you can navigate better and turn on a dime. Very useful for lining up right for your shift grab. Its especially valuable for shifting indoors and around furniture and such.