Gummi

New Grab: Are Jasons overracting?

33 minutes ago, SirMang said:

See this isn't the experience I had.  

Old grab I could get in with shift grab, grab one of two people standing together, turn to body block and get the grab kill.

New grab because of the lengthy clunky animation of grabbing someone, it gives ample time for the friend to knock them out of my grasp AND body blocking no longer works.  No idea if the stinger sound resonates to everyone or just the counselor you grab.  If everyone then Jason is at even more of a disadvantage. 

My advice as a counselor?  Play the buddy system.  Roam in pairs.  Stick together and the Jason will never get a grab kill. 

This is another reason why slasher Jason will be making a comeback and you'll see "murdered" a lot on the final scoreboard. 

This is actually true. I was playing with a buddy, I was Vanessa, he was Jenny, and we stunned him long enough for another Vanessa to get the car fix, start it, and get to us. He stopped the car twice, and grabbed both my friend and the driver twice, however, I was easily able to CS save them. We all got out. This Jason was playing like old Jasons though. Only grabbed. Never slashed. As soon as we got in range, bam, tried to grab. That is the absolute worst tactic you can have. You need to be utterly precise with your grab, otherwise you will miss the counselor and get smacked.

This grab need some practice. You need to play to be good as Jason. I agree with this idea. 

But not if it looks like ridiculous to see Jason trying harder to kill some counselors, don't forget we are in slasher game, not in Tom and Jerry.

With October patch, I managed to kill 7 or 8/8, but it was really painful, ridiculous and not funny.

• Like 1

When Have F13 Players not overreacted to something?

There, That is the Answer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Really... this is truth of it.

The grab animation looks perfect.

The grab range is perfect.

The grab Stinger sound effects are great.  (Some may not like it) but i love horror movie stinger sounds.  

The grab RADIUS is the PROBLEM.  Needs to be as wide as his shoulder width.  (This is the only problem)  

People need to come together on this^.  Stop saying 'You need to learn".. Stop complaining about other random nit picky things.

The grab RADIUS is currently as wide as his head..  Needs to be his shoulders.  A straight rectangle.

I completely agree here. Distance is fine but it is too narrow. A player can be just off centre right next to jason and not get grabbed.

I wonder if people are missing the "You need to aim the grab now" part of the update. The radius might need to be bigger, but not big enough you can grab people if they dodge it jut because the radius is that big. Good ol' "how much is too much?" question. The radius should not compensate for your lack of lunge aiming abilities, yet it seems a lot of people want it to be like that.

The new animation and sound effect are pure awesome but the change really messed up shift grabbing in online matches. I’m certain everything will be back to normal, at least for me, in a few more days of getting used to it. 

I like the new grab. I’m not accustomed to it yet, but I’m getting there. I think it’s not liked because it’s no longer the “auto-win” it once was. 

It’ll take time, as with anything else. 

4 hours ago, Gummi said:

I have talked about this on replies before, but I wanted to put my thoughts on the grab in one singular post.

People are criticizing the new grab, from what I can tell, because of the fact that turning is no longer an option, and because it's unforgiving when it comes to missing it. I think they are forgetting that Counselors have suffered from this ever since the start. The Counselors can not stop a swing, nor can they turn during it's animation. This caused them to get heavily punished if they missed, and by heavily, I mean death. They had to be perfect about their approach, otherwise they would die. 

Jason, however, did not need to care about the way he used his most powerful ability, the grab. In fact, he could and did capitalize in a miss, by baiting the counselor into swinging, dodging said swing, and grabbing them, getting an easy kill. 

Now this is no longer a reality. Both Jason and Counselor need to be perfect about their approach, in order to avoid getting punished if they make a mistake. Of course, the stakes in the Counselor side are higher, since their punishment is getting killed, while Jason's punishment is a few seconds of stun. 

Basically, I am happy with the new grab. However, I have seen that it is quite inconsistent. I have witnessed an AJ walk through Jason's arm in an QP game. But honestly, I'm expecting a buff to the grab in the near future. Not by bringing turning back, fortunately, but probably by increasing the grab area in front of Jason.

In my point of view, Jasons can and should try to get used to the new grab, as it comes with it's own good things, like, for example, making it harder for Counselors who were around the person who got grabbed to get a save (because of the added distance/momentum Jason gets when he grabs someone).

Although it needs a bit of perfecting, the new grab seems like a worthy, interesting and needed addition.

I personally don't have an issue with the new grab. It does, however, take some getting used to. I'm on the fence about the sound music that plays when you grab though. It does get old rather quickly.

5 minutes ago, Ghost Rider Vorhees said:

I personally don't have an issue with the new grab. It does, however, take some getting used to. I'm on the fence about the sound music that plays when you grab though. It does get old rather quickly.

I do think adding an option to turn it on/off would be nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPLhicks31 said:

I completely agree here. Distance is fine but it is too narrow. A player can be just off centre right next to jason and not get grabbed.

Ya... i mean.

I've been testing it as much as i can against bots.  Im bumping into them with my chest and missing grabs.  

People are overreacting, but I don't know if I'm 100% liking the grab today either.

Aesthetically....

The sting can become annoying if it's heard too many times.
It would be nice if they put a timer on it so it only plays after enough time goes by, so you don't have to hear it back to back to back if there's a lot of grabbing to do.  

It would be nice if there were variations relating to proximity of obstacles. If you grab a counselor near a wall, they'll clip through the wall. Grabs in confined spaces could have less or none of the lunge forward animation. Or maybe an auto turn to prevent the clipping.

Functionality....

I don't like canned animations. I don't like the feeling of being locked in. I can't say being able to turn Jason mid-grab ever gave me an advantage, but it felt better. Getting locked in like this reminds me that I'm controlling a bits and bytes video game. It doesn't kill it for me on a Jason/horror vibe, but it does on a "this is not 100% mine" vibe if that makes any sense. It disconnects me from the character.

The radius might need some attention but it's hard to say because I'm too focused/distracted by other things that are bothering me.

The straight ahead is spectacular though. It bridges the forced perceptive gap a little.  

1 minute ago, F134Ever86 said:

One thing ill say about the new grab is that I think the stinger should only play while in stalk.

That’s a really good idea.

They need to add some variations on the Stinger sound. I like that it's there, it just needs to be slightly different each time to cut down on the monotony of hearing it. This is why a lot of devs have different grunting sounds for player characters for actions like jumps and attacks

I don't care if the grab looks cool and powerful. Does it look cool when you grab someone against a wall and see the person clip right through it?

In functionality it's hurts Jason a lot. Twirling grab looks stupid, but it gave Jason more control. And that's what Jason needs. More freedom and less locked animations. Grabbing in group combat now is near suicide. Jason is wide open on any missed grab attempt and walks right into bat swings which counselors now have ample time to punish him.

1 hour ago, Gummi said:

I wonder if people are missing the "You need to aim the grab now" part of the update. The radius might need to be bigger, but not big enough you can grab people if they dodge it jut because the radius is that big. Good ol' "how much is too much?" question. The radius should not compensate for your lack of lunge aiming abilities, yet it seems a lot of people want it to be like that.

As a Jason player the big problem is a good counselor can bob and weave while they run making this new gotta have it on point grab a big disadvantage for Jason thus again gonna scare a lot of people away from wanting to play Jason probably causing regular Jason players to just want to not play when we get to the point nobody want's to play as Jason we no longer have a game.

I've played two matches as Jason since the update and both times it's been a dance party where they don't even try to escape and are just trying to fuck with me. The entire community has sensed the nerf. Jason's block seems less responsive now too, so I can't even reliably walk right up to them and block when they try to attack after realizing I'm not going to grab from far away.

I've only used it in single player, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I think I would prefer if only the counselor heard the musical stinger.  That might give a few jump scares coming out of a shift or something.  I guess I can see how it could be a problem in groups though.

Maybe they should implement a quick grab or something that doesn't quite leave you as open to a riposte. You could use the main grab (the one we have now) for one on one. Maybe it could even do some damage just by itself (even if someone got out) due to the nature of it.

Obviously, I would like to actually play as Jason in multiplayer for a bit, before I go lobbying for any immediate changes.

As someone who loves playing as Jason, I adore this grab. Every grab I've missed has been my fault and I'm completely okay with that. I really like the stinger too. I dunno honestly seems fine to me.

I like the stinger, but it felt like you had to be standing with your arm up their butt all the way to the elbow, for the grab to actually work.  Exaggerating but you get the idea.  There was nothing wrong with the grab before.  Counselors escaped all the time and Jason trolling was still a thing.  It seems now, for the most part, the only ones this new grab benefits are the counselors, so of course that crowd, on average, are gonna LOVE it.  Practicing in the single player challenges it seemed like it was a definite Jason nerf where one was not really needed.  That said it's not all bad, it could be worked with, but in it's current state it's gonna push people back into slash mode or counselor spawn preference; and with all the new emotes, get ready for HEAVY Jason trolling.

I think the lunge part is okay.   Just perhaps if it wasn't a locked animation, where the Jason had control on whether it could be stopped or not.  As it is, it's going to be predictable and yet ANOTHER way for counselors to constantly f*** with and troll Jason.

The radius feels WAY too narrow now.  Playing Jason should be a nice breather from being chased around for hours while playing as a counselor.  Not trying to be an Adderall snorting, FPS tryhard when I play F13, so don't need it to feel like a "sniper shot" scenario every time I try to make a grab.  And before the "get gud" comments roll in, I have played the game almost 40d worht of time, with 3,900 counselor kills, and almost 1,000 deaths as a counselor in that time played, so I'm not some noob.  I can just see where this is going, because it felt pretty evenly balanced before in my opinion.  When you went against a good Jason you KNEW you were in trouble (and you should be), and similarly as Jason, going against a high level counselor meant you were gonna get stunned a lot and have to put on a pretty good chase and get inventive to catch them.  Now I fear it's going to be a Jason-ass-kicking party until a patch arrives.

I rarely post on these forums, but just wanted to share my feelings about the new grab.  And so that it's not all complaining.... THANKS you guys for the single player challenges.  As a life long fan of the franchise, I love all the movie references and work you did on these.  Really fun stuff.

I haven't played all that much yet, but personally, I haven't particularly suffered the grab changes. It still feels sort of the same for me. 

not only that, but its too slow, you cant even shift grab. Im an excellent jason, but because of this slower grab, jason can only grab whats in front of him, which makes it easier for counselors to run to the side and out of the way of his grab, not to mention, the noise, it should be an option in the settings to have it on or off, it gets really annoying after so many pocket knives (not complaining about pocket knive, theyre fine) and how easy they made it to escape his grab

also not only that, but they need to bring back hitting through doors, and weapons like pig splitter, machete, fire axe, they go to far when you combat stance doors, they also nerfed fast-blocking