ResolutionBlaze

What I's It With Sex And Horror?

It seems every horror film, EVERY SINGLE ONE I KNOW contains lots or some amount of sex.

For Friday The 13th it makes sense to me: Counselors had sex and neglected Jason Voorheese. Thus Pamela Voorhees kills the sex crazed teens to keep the camp closed and for revenge. But it looks like it's just a common theme in slasher films.

And I don't have a political problem against it, they can do what they want with their movies (personal is a different story) but I'm genuinely curious. It seems to always be teens and always be parties. Is that just the clichè?

They are attempting to appeal to the audience. Sex always sells and in slashers they are trying to create a bond between the audience and the characters. there is not a ton of time for character development in these movies so they include stereotypical tropes so that you can more easily identify with at least one character. When you bond with a character it makes it that much more devastating when that character is killed. These are my thoughts anyways.

• Like 1

They are attempting to appeal to the audience. Sex always sells and in slashers they are trying to create a bond between the audience and the characters. there is not a ton of time for character development in these movies so they include stereotypical tropes so that you can more easily identify with at least one character. When you bond with a character it makes it that much more devastating when that character is killed. These are my thoughts anyways.

Well idk sex ever being used as a way to bond with the audience. I mean, yeah "sex sells" but I don't want it if it's poor writing, especially when it's not centered around sex.

Sex as a means for writing (at least to me) should be used to bring characters close or create a plot device... cheating, pregnancy, thinges of that nature. But for the audience? Not sure if that is how it works. You go to a horror movie for the slasher bits not sex. And characters can develop in many different ways. The way characters act toward each other tells more than a sex scene.

Sex scenes are just that; a sex scene. It doesn't do anything extra and should not be a crutch to develop characters with despite the small amount of time.

Hell, in F13th part 3, I already had enough of an idea about the characters. The problem is what you said; the time frame. Which is why I think continuity is important. Otherwise it becomes routine: teens go around get development through quick snappy development. Which is fine, but not for every film. There would always be a final girl, which means you'll be guessing who will die by the beginning of the movie, which can take out the tension when you're watching and you know half these people won't survive.

Not sure if things have changed with slashers now because I have zero slasher experience. I'm just talking about what I've seen from what fans have said and what I have seen.

Sorry, I got a little scatter brained in my ramblings lol. There are people that hold that as a personality trait like the "fun" drinking, having casual fling types. It's certainly not applicable for everyone but it can be related to within a teen audience.

Writing in slasher films is much to be desired to be blunt. Which is why I think such tactics are used in terms of looking for someone for everyone. The focus on those movies is the gore and the kills and is why the larger audience goes to see it so their focus is not largely on deep interactions with characters or a compelling storyline.

Sex sells as we have established so in addition it's also a marketing tool utilized to make the film reach further. The world is a little different these days but teenage boys are going to be a fan of boobs in any movie whether it's good or not.

I just feel it's sort of more like a primal instincts movie death / sex / survival and it's a formula that is largely recycled.

Is it necessary to the movies plot? No, but it's been the formula used for so many years.

I suggest reading : « Men, women and chainsaws : gender in the modern horror film ».

Really interesting book exploring the role of the Final girl and the slasher vilain, and the author explains that slasher vilains are often gonna be sexually incapable or have disturbed visions of sexuality, think Jason the momma's boy, Freddy the child molester, Leather face in part 2 when his «chainsaw» «malfunctions» or the anonymous caller from the original Black Christmas who gets off on making terrorizing phone calls.

My take on that was that the vilains are incapable of connecting because of their sexual inability, which is why we see the characters youre supposed to root for connect through sexuality. The filmmakers are making the killers more alien and scary by contrasting what's normal with what's abnormal. The killer is jealous and wants to punish them and substitutes sexuality with violent acts.

Plus on a biological level, it's the two big things in life that get the heart pumping and adrenaline going.

If you're aiming at that teenage audience, racing on hormones, even more so.

I suppose a lot of it had to do with the fact that I didn't grow up during the times of those films where those things could represent the teenage norm easier.

I never did drugs or drank alcohol or partied. I never cared much about sex. I never was too disobedient to my parents... even as a legal adult those things still reign true.

Hell, not even a big slasher fan. I only know about these slashers because they are popular icons. Never seen any slasher films except F13th part 3.

So I guess I myself simply cannot relate. And if everyone here is as old as they claim or most are then it would be very different.

I suggest reading : « Men, women and chainsaws : gender in the modern horror film ».

Really interesting book exploring the role of the Final girl and the slasher vilain, and the author explains that slasher vilains are often gonna be sexually incapable or have disturbed visions of sexuality, think Jason the momma's boy, Freddy the child molester, Leather face in part 2 when his «chainsaw» «malfunctions» or the anonymous caller from the original Black Christmas who gets off on making terrorizing phone calls.

My take on that was that the vilains are incapable of connecting because of their sexual inability, which is why we see the characters youre supposed to root for connect through sexuality. The filmmakers are making the killers more alien and scary by contrasting what's normal with what's abnormal. The killer is jealous and wants to punish them and substitutes sexuality with violent acts.

It's not that my problem is that many of those films would seem pretty routine... And I don't like routine or clichè writing at all.

This is painfully simple. They're exploitation films. Lowest common denominator. It's been that way since the 1920s. This is because fear and lust are the two strongest drives we humans have. Simple as that. Why are they so often young people? Two reasons. They're trying to appeal to young audiences, and because young people are hot. It's kind of disappointingly simple really. Some horror movies do it with more meaning, like Hellraiser, but in general, it's exploitation.

• Like 1

It's not that my problem is that many of those films would seem pretty routine... And I don't like routine or clichè writing at all.

I agree that the sexually disturbed/impotent killer is a trope but to me it's not bad writing. If the examples i gave were too cliché you also have Norman Bates whose sexually incapable and kills the women he's attracted to while adopting the persona of his mom, and he kills his victim when she's naked in the shower, or Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs who kills women to wear their skin because he wants to be a woman or Angela from Sleepaway camp whose actually a boy (two movies that I love but that are kinda transphobic, looking back on them now xd)

Sexuality is the ONE thing that everyone has in common, so to set them apart from «us», horror movie killers are sexually confused/disturbed/incapable to make them inhuman.

Just my read on it

I agree that the sexually disturbed/impotent killer is a trope but to me it's not bad writing. If the examples i gave were too cliché you also have Norman Bates whose sexually incapable and kills the women he's attracted to while adopting the persona of his mom, and he kills his victim when she's naked in the shower, or Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs who kills women to wear their skin because he wants to be a woman or Angela from Sleepaway camp whose actually a boy (two movies that I love but that are kinda transphobic, looking back on them now xd)

Sexuality is the ONE thing that everyone has in common, so to set them apart from «us», horror movie killers are sexually confused/disturbed/incapable to make them inhuman.

Just my read on it

Whoa sir. SoTL isn't transphobic at all. Dr. Lecter makes a POINT of explaining that Buffalo Bill isn't actually transgender. His actions are more in line with the psychology of Ed Gein. Sleepaway camp... yeah. That one's a little transphobic.

Whoa sir. SoTL isn't transphobic at all. Dr. Lecter makes a POINT of explaining that Buffalo Bill isn't actually transgender. His actions are more in line with the psychology of Ed Gein. Sleepaway camp... yeah. That one's a little transphobic.

Sleepaway Camp isn't transphobic. The killer doesn't kill because they're trans, they kill because they are bullied and it mixes with their childhood trauma. The film is a reverse tale on what trans people go through. Instead of being forced by a parental figure to fit into the gender role coinciding with their sex, the relative forces the opposite. 

Sleepaway Camp II and III on the other hand... may be a bit phobic. 

• Like 1

Just my read on it

What about asexuality?

They're not inhuman.

I get what you're saying though.

Sex and fear are linked. Being afraid triggers sexual excitement, or at least opens the door for it to more easily happen. It's a survival instinct buried in your DNA. If you and your tribe are afraid you might not make it to the next day, you would A: Want to make the best of the time you had, and B: Would want to procreate so your genes don't die out. You don't even have to consciously make those decisions, evolution has made them for you. When you are afraid, you want to bone. Have you ever intentionally left the door to your room unlocked while you were having sex or masturbating? Of course you have. You're just dying to have someone catch you and make your blood boil for an instant.

A Zoo tried a program where they had 3 kinds of animals alternate between 3 different enclosures: Hogs, Apes, and Tigers. They send in the hogs first, then swap in the apes, then swap in the tigers, and they would all smell the scent of the other animals. Guess what? The lowest on the food chain, the hogs, procreated first. They could smell danger all around them and made sure there were more hogs for the future. Eventually the apes and then tigers procreated. It's nature, man.

Have you ever intentionally left the door to your room unlocked while you were having sex or masturbating? Of course you have. You're just dying to have someone catch you and make your blood boil for an instant.

I must say that I have not. Not disagreeing with the rest of what you said. That's all fact. I'm not saying, just saying.

Sex and fear are linked. Being afraid triggers sexual excitement, or at least opens the door for it to more easily happen. It's a survival instinct buried in your DNA. If you and your tribe are afraid you might not make it to the next day, you would A: Want to make the best of the time you had, and B: Would want to procreate so your genes don't die out. You don't even have to consciously make those decisions, evolution has made them for you. When you are afraid, you want to bone. Have you ever intentionally left the door to your room unlocked while you were having sex or masturbating? Of course you have. You're just dying to have someone catch you and make your blood boil for an instant.

A Zoo tried a program where they had 3 kinds of animals alternate between 3 different enclosures: Hogs, Apes, and Tigers. They send in the hogs first, then swap in the apes, then swap in the tigers, and they would all smell the scent of the other animals. Guess what? The lowest on the food chain, the hogs, procreated first. They could smell danger all around them and made sure there were more hogs for the future. Eventually the apes and then tigers procreated. It's nature, man.

The problem I have with this is that we are far from average animals. No, I dont leave the door open and I don't want someone to catch me. Though that may do on my views of sanctity in sex between two people. Not something to be shared between more than one person. SURE there may be a certain rush or thrill that comes with that but it's like speeding down a highway at full speed while doing heroine.

Hell, even in the film, you don't see people banging right after a serial killer murders all their friends. It always happens before. That's because we humans are beyond simply average animals. Sure we have instinct, but we also have logic, morality, rationality, so on.

We don't get sexual attraction or lust from fear. At least it wouldnt be so cut and dry. I don't believe for a second that sex and fear are intimately tied as you suggest, that after I just escape from a danger I want to just do it with someone. Maybe in small instances, if the danger or scare was not actually a real threat, but no, not in the case of humans.

As humans, we have different priorities simply because of logic. We don't procreate while in danger because it'd be irrational to do so because we aren't endangered.

The problem I have with this is that we are far from average animals. No, I dont leave the door open and I don't want someone to catch me. Though that may do on my views of sanctity in sex between two people. Not something to be shared between more than one person. SURE there may be a certain rush or thrill that comes with that but it's like speeding down a highway at full speed while doing heroine.

Hell, even in the film, you don't see people banging right after a serial killer murders all their friends. It always happens before. That's because we humans are beyond simply average animals. Sure we have instinct, but we also have logic, morality, rationality, so on.

We don't get sexual attraction or lust from fear. At least it wouldnt be so cut and dry. I don't believe for a second that sex and fear are intimately tied as you suggest, that after I just escape from a danger I want to just do it with someone. Maybe in small instances, if the danger or scare was not actually a real threat, but no, not in the case of humans.

As humans, we have different priorities simply because of logic. We don't procreate while in danger because it'd be irrational to do so because we aren't endangered.

You completely missed his point. It doesn't matter how logical you are, you still have these feelings. Horror is trying to tap into these feelings. Personally, I stand by my statement. It's because most horror is exploitation. Simple as that.

• Like 1

You completely missed his point. It doesn't matter how logical you are, you still have these feelings. Horror is trying to tap into these feelings. Personally, I stand by my statement. It's because most horror is exploitation. Simple as that.

Feelings and instincts aren't the same thing though.

Feelings are far more complex than instincts. In fact, instincts can be molded more by feelings than vise versa.

Though I understand what you two are saying

Slasher films are about debauchary. Almost anything goes. Now Horror in general...theres a ton of horror films that dont have anything to do with sex.

Feelings and instincts aren't the same thing though.

Feelings are far more complex than instincts. In fact, instincts can be molded more by feelings than vise versa.

Though I understand what you two are saying

Evolutionary psychology says otherwise. Almost EVERYTHING you feel is based on instinct.

I disagree about sex being part of horror movies purely for exploitation.

Of course, the sex scene, the slutty characters, etc... are all exploitation, or fan service, however sex is a huge part of horror even in the parts of the movie that aren't exploitation.

Why is the Final girl in horror movies often (not always) the «Virgin»? Why is the killer often sexually deviant/immature?

I think writing off the sexual aspect of horror movies and slashers in particular as purely exploitation is oversimplifying it a bit..

Why is the Final girl in horror movies often (not always) the «Virgin»? Why is the killer often sexually deviant/immature?

It's not even often. Let's list virginal final girls. Laurie Strode.................................. Tina?