Jdt827

Single Player Challenges Review

I’m aware that Single Player is being discussed all over the forum. This thread is intended to keep all of our reviews in one place AND compile suggestions and feeback as well as general discussion around Single Player mode based what we experience post update. Many of us have spent the last several hours playing in SP Challenges and many more will experience it soon. So I encourage everyone to share you reviews and ideas for future updates here. 

My Review - 

First - I’m just grateful we have it. I LOVE being able to play the game as Jason with Stalk in mind. Personally, I believe Multi-Player should have always been the same. I love that counselors don’t know you’re near unless they actually see you and there is no music cue to make them aware. 

What I love:

- Cut Scenes and great atmosphere that feel like you’re making your own little F13 movie. 

- multiple scenarios within each challenge that make them worth revisiting and perfecting. 

- Low stress gameplay - multiplayer created a lot of wasted time with sessions ending, players quitting, trolls, etc... it’s nice to just hold myself accountable for my experience (with fair amount of reliance on no bugs and glitches)

- new kills - I love the variety in new kills and animations. Who can complain about that?

What I don’t love -

- I think they missed a big opportunity to have a mini STORY mode with these 10 challenges. Had they connected the sequences with a linear story that played out like a movie, it would have really elevated the experience.

- the same counselors used a lot. We see Kenny, AJ and others in multiple challenges where some counselors are not at used all. This ties into the missed opportunity for story mode.

How I hope it all evolves down the road 

- I hope we see Single Player become a major focus for the games future. I’d like to see a full on story mode that starts with similar sequences to Broken Down and build up to a big finale like a movie and they all tie together.

- I hope someday we see Single Player as a counselor as well with survival objectives and saving others and things like that. I think the future of Single Player will highly depend on the feedback from all of us so please share your reviews and ideas too!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I feel like longterm a stronger story mode might keep the game alive longer.  I also feel like the multiplayer is due for a little more variety. I also believe some new additions to online play(paranoia mode, new maps with different minigames, escape, and kill objectives) would give the game a shot in the arm and better short term success. There isno sure fire answer but I would love a story mode that culminated in a large jason cinematic kill scene. Bit that is a fuck ton of work on bothsides offline and online

You brought up gripes like the challenges all telling their own story instead one connected one, and leave out actual serious concerns like having to rewatch that cutscene every single time you get spotted.

2 minutes ago, BigShaunPolk said:

I also feel like the multiplayer is due for a little more variety. I also believe some new additions to online play(paranoia mode, new maps with different minigames, escape, and kill objectives) would give the game a shot in the arm and better short term success.

The game doesn't need more content. It needs the content it already has to work properly, something the game has never delivered on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

You brought up gripes like the challenges all telling their own story instead one connected one, and leave out actual serious concerns like having to rewatch that cutscene every single time you get spotted.

The game doesn't need more content. It needs the content it already has to work properly, something the game has never delivered on.

Well that’s why you’re here to voice your opinions. The cut scenes don’t bother me, personally so it wasn’t necessary for my review. 

• Like 1

I HATE how undetected is a skull yet the counselors see you through doors and walls. Ruins the mode almost. So much potential

• Like 3

Chad somehow saw me through a brick wall. AJ spotted me while she was still upstairs even though I was directly beneath downstairs.

• Like 1

I am in love with the challenges. They are the FT13th game experience I’ve wanted for a long time. Multiplayer is the antithesis of what I want to experience, and I think it misrepresents the films to some extent. But, the single player challenges do the franchise more justice. I feel at peace when I play them and always fangirl when a painfully upclose shot of Jason appears and when he reenacts a kill from the films. I can think and act like him in multiplayer, but what lacks is feeling like the threat that he truly is. I’m thankful for this new offline mode. :)

• Like 6

Personally, I enjoy the challenges. They are a welcome contrast to multiplayer and the standard offline bots. It looks like we finally got our wheelchair character.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fair Play said:

Personally, I enjoy the challenges. They are a welcome contrast to multiplayer and the standard offline bots. It looks like we finally got our wheelchair character.

Agree! It’s just very refreshing to have the variety.

I love these single player challenges.  

But it should also grant XP.    

11 hours ago, TheRustedBlade said:

I am in love with the challenges. They are the FT13th game experience I’ve wanted for a long time. Multiplayer is the antithesis of what I want to experience, and I think it misrepresents the films to some extent. But, the single player challenges do the franchise more justice. I feel at peace when I play them and always fangirl when a painfully upclose shot of Jason appears and when he reenacts a kill from the films. I can think and act like him in multiplayer, but what lacks is feeling like the threat that he truly is. I’m thankful for this new offline mode. :)

My thoughts on the challenges, exactly.

• Like 2

I like the challenges, and hope to see more. I don’t play QP anymore so it gives me another option besides the bots. I can’t wait to catch Bugzy in that wheel chair tonight!

Not sure how to prevent Chad from spotting me in the second challenge. No matter where I hide he spots me the moment he enters the cabin. He will even somehow spot me when I'm stalking Jenny way over at the barn.

Also, I'm only on the Strip Poker challenge but A.J. seems to have really made her way through the male members of the cast (Adam, Mitch, Kenny, Chad)!

• Haha 1

AJ being in 6/7 challenges so far while Jenny has been in one and Vanessa is popping up for the first time. ?

As for Chad in the second challenge, try waiting for him to kneel by the fire either in the middle room or the kitchen. The kitchen worked for me, but my friend used the middle room.

• Thanks 1

What I like: 

all the scenarios are highly replayable.

The challenges are challenging.

The voice acting is great.

the special kills are amazing!

What I don’t like:

the cutscenes are unskipable and you cannot pause during them.

Too many of the same counselors were in the challenges. ( A.J and Adam )

Some counselors are hardly in the challenges. ( Mitch and Jenny )

What I would like to see:

more challenges. Maybe one new challenge per large update. Like a Grendel challenge for when Uber Jason and Grendel come out? 

Final thoughts: 

The single player challenges are what I expected. They require some patience and you have to be quick.

My rating:

8/10

10 minutes ago, Pazuzu said:

Not sure how to prevent Chad from spotting me in the second challenge. No matter where I hide he spots me the moment he enters the cabin. He will even somehow spot me when I'm stalking Jenny way over at the barn.

Also, I'm only on the Strip Poker challenge but A.J. seems to have really made her way through the male members of the cast (Adam, Mitch, Kenny, Chad)!

You have to kill Mitch and then kill AJ once she goes outside looking for mitch.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pazuzu said:

Wait in the kitchen for him to kneel by the fire, shift and attack.

• Thanks 1

In one of the challenges cutscene (Strip Poker) was Chad making out with AJ... while ANOTHER AJ watched?

20 minutes ago, Pazuzu said:

After the cut scene, walk into the the middle room and hide all the way in the left corner of the door frame. Wait for Chad to reach the coffee table and walk right behind him and grab him and kill him in the fire place. Then you can quickly walk and get right behind Jenny as she enters the barn and catch her just in time to do the hanging kill. All Done this way, you can do  Tnsll without shifting. Worked perfectly for me. 

• Thanks 1

I'm enjoying it. They already have my money for further challenges DLC. I hope we see challenges from other destinations from the films... Lazarus, Voorhees House etc 

I really think the AI and consequently the experience would benefit from there being differing levels of counselor alertness. Much like the metal gear solid or hitman games. 

I.e. Counselors come to investigate a noise rather than just flee straight away. It becomes a bit predictable shifting/morphing to the exit all the time. This would also allow us to "toy" with the counselors in a well known slasher movie trope "What was that noise? I better go and investigate."

I'm now currently away from my PS4 for a couple of weeks. I was wondering what happens if you just stand there watching them? Does their behaviour just loop? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SDA said:

In one of the challenges cutscene (Strip Poker) was Chad making out with AJ... while ANOTHER AJ watched?

I noticed that too . It kinda reminded me of that scene from Xmen first class with Emma Frost and the Russian General

xmfc22.jpg