Dolemite

Impressions of the New Patch/Engine

1 hour ago, Dolemite said:

After putting in a little time with the much-anticipated new update, I have come up with the following Impressions, and no particular order:

-the update to the graphics with the new engine is interesting, especially when it comes to the lighting. Overall I think things are a little too dark now, but it's still a nice visual upgrade.

-performance seems to be vastly improved, at least on lower end machines like mine. frame rate is higher and more stable, and I was even able to bump up the resolution I normally play at with no noticeable effect on performance.

-perhaps my favorite Improvement so far: at the moment I'm playing the game on a lower-end laptop, and as a result I have to play it on lower resolution settings. With the previous engine, when you bumped down the resolution, the text, map, and icons were all barely legible. However, with this new update, all of the text, icons, maps, and anything else of that nature is suddenly nice and crisp and easily identifiable. This is a huge deal.

-bot AI is ridiculous now. As others have pointed out, they always instantly fix the phone box and call the police before you can even morph to the fuse box. The second the cops arrive they all instantly drop what they're doing and run full speed for the exit. Whereas before I used to always wipe out all of the counselors easily, now I'm lucky if I get three or four of them. they just swarm me at the exit.

-the game is crashing WAY more often than it used to

-the new grab is absolutely useless. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that you don't even notice there's a difference, making it a wasted effort.

-the music cue that plays when you grab somebody gets old really, really, REALLY fast. It's 100% not needed and should be absolutely removed with the next update.

-issues with music not playing when it should.

-annoying that a lot of bugs that nobody even knew where there were fixed, but major issues people have been complaining about for months haven't been touched. The issue with the camera getting stuck on the ground on a random part of the map instead of being behind your character is still a thing.

-melee combat seems to be improved with Jason. The swing is indeed closer to the ground to hit crouching opponents and the attacks are faster overall.

-The "feel" of the controls is different. Not sure if that's good or bad, but it's taking some getting used to.

I'll post more impressions as I continue to play. Overall it's a cool update, although it does seem buggier than it was before.

I think the new grab was only to stop Jason from doing a 180 grabs and is now more accurate. I mean you could spin around with the old grab and the radius would be increased like in Chivalry Medieval warfare.

Also i'm okay if the bots are actually hard, wheres the challenge in the old version.

Does anybody have any issues with breaking windows? Now that Jason's weapon swings lower, it hits below the window 90% of the time. You're usually forced to use the shitty window-breaking animation now.

Major bot glitch discovered. Shelly was standing next to the bed when I, as Jason, walked into the room. He didn't react at all, but was making scared noises as if he was hiding under the bed. I couldn't grab him or hit him, so I went to the bed he was next to and started hitting the kill prompt, but all that did was turn his flashlight on and off over and over. Yes I, as Jason, was turning Shelly's flashlight on and off by hitting the bed kill prompt. Oh boy.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TestedTwice said:

Does anybody have any issues with breaking windows? Now that Jason's weapon swings lower, it hits below the window 90% of the time. You're usually forced to use the shitty window-breaking animation now.

Yes I noticed this, also if it's a sideways opening window you have to stand on the right side of it to get the prompt, if you're Infront of the left half of the window it won't give the prompt.

3 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Yes I noticed this, also if it's a sideways opening window you have to stand on the right side of it to get the prompt, if you're Infront of the left half of the window it won't give the prompt.

Play testers were hard at work, I see.

7 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

Play testers were hard at work, I see.

Yeah, it's great work if you can get it.

1 hour ago, Ste_Wolf said:

In the kill animations the counselors are vibrating really fast. Anyone else besides me experience that?

Yes.

On 5/24/2018 at 11:49 PM, TestedTwice said:

You're absolutely right, window-breaking is totally broken now. 

So as not to be continuously negative, I do really have to say how impressed I am with the overall performance boost the new engine has brought. When the game isn't crashing, it's playing smooth as butter.

• Like 1

I'm loving everything about the update! The game runs so smooth now (even with rain)! Good job Gun and Illfonic! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

My honest, initial impressions so far. On Xbox One. Single Player Challenges are great. It’s what I’ve been waiting for in this game. And I really appreciate them being included. Despite not being able to earn XP in them. That being said.... this game looks terrible now. Visually and sound wise. It’s never been so bad. Textures don’t load. Things disappear and reappear constantly. Draw distance is shit now. Jason’s hands and head randomly glow. Rainbow blood. Items floating. Chad looks like total shit in the opening cut scene now. He somehow has dark brown hair, no facial features or eyebrows. Audio cuts in and out. Or missing altogether now. There’s never been this many bugs or glitches. They should have just released Single Player Challenges and left the engine alone. Because this update set this game back to pre-Alpha quality. 

• Like 1

Mine. Not loving it.

About a game into it my wife asked me to mow the lawn. I said, "c'mon I've been waiting for this update. I'll mow tomorrow."

Five games later. One of the games I literally couldn't interact with anything. No doors. No hiding spots. No windows. No weapons. Stuck in a cabin for about 7 minutes. Yay.

A game which I posted where another player was glitched hopping up and down and going invisible and stunning Jason repeatedly. 

And a game where I played Jason. It's clunky. Not fun. And not sour grapes because I got merc'd. It was just boring. The grab sucks but I'm sure anyone that sticks around will get used to it. What was really lame as Jason is the delay with throwing knives. Good grief.

It's not a smooth game. Which it wasn't before, but it seems worse. I figured with the new engine things would run smooth, but the controls are slower. It's too dark (I know. Turn up the gamma).

After the 5th game I said, "I'm gonna go mow the lawn". 

And what's sad is that I enjoyed doing that more than playing this game.

That said, those are my gripes. If you like the update, cool. 

I love the new grab, it makes people have to... actually be good. I was just chased by a 150 that thought he was going to force grab me out of a bad shift a dozen times in a row. Sorry bud those days are over. This is vindication for the people that cried everyone needs to ...”git good” but now themselves don’t want to and expect to force grab everyone in 5 minutes like it used to be. 

Not addressing the “rubberband” glitch is very disappointing, probably the most tbh. I was actually just in a match where I not only experienced this glitch but was permanently stuck outside the car no matter how far I ran, I was saved by multiple counselors around me tho until the game let me go I guess smh

Not having been online, my single-player impression is... they really need to do something about the rainbow glitter blood on Pinehurst. And the stinger when grabbing someone with a pocket knife is delayed sometimes.

I put into the mindset beforehand that the patch was probably going to introduce new bugs of some sort. I mean, with something as major as an engine update you just know something was going to happen. That being said, overall I do like the new patch. The game runs really smooth on PS4, so I'm not sure if other people complaining about the game in that retrospect are having issues on the Xbox/PC version.

As for people complaining about it being too dark...it's a horror survival game. In dark settings you're supposed to have difficulties seeing your entire environment. It makes you paranoid, something that really sets the mood for a horror survival game, and therefore either makes you ultra cautious or more reckless. If you really have problems with the dark, then use a flashlight. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, Ste_Wolf said:

In the kill animations the counselors are vibrating really fast. Anyone else besides me experience that?

YES! Glad to know it's not only me. I'm on ps4 and almost every DLC kill for pig splitter and (especially) machete seem to send the counselors into violent seizure.  

I think the glitchy and buggy can fixed when they get dedicated server perfectly and update it or not because the game still under developed

Where’s Part 7 fall in the rankings now that he got his reworks? More viable, I hope?

2 minutes ago, Tailypo said:

Where’s Part 7 fall in the rankings now that he got his reworks? More viable, I hope?

He's either still the worst Jason or maybe he's better than part 4. It's hard to judge. He's definitely still not anywhere near high tier, since his only major strength is weapon strength, he can't run and he has fewer traps. But it's still a massive buff either way.

1 hour ago, Dolemite said:

Major bot glitch discovered. Shelly was standing next to the bed when I, as Jason, walked into the room. He didn't react at all, but was making scared noises as if he was hiding under the bed. I couldn't grab him or hit him, so I went to the bed he was next to and started hitting the kill prompt, but all that did was turn his flashlight on and off over and over. Yes I, as Jason, was turning Shelly's flashlight on and off by hitting the bed kill prompt. Oh boy.

Yeah that one existed before the update

They fixed a lot but this is a whole new engine... there are going to be hiccups (which there are tons!), however I totally expected there to be tons of new issues due to the fact they moved an entire game to a newer engine. These will be much easier to hot-patch out with the current engine. I don't know why anybody would expect a patch of this type to be perfect on day one. 

I can already see they've hot-patched issues.  I was on in the first 15 mins after it went live, and bots literally stood in one spot without moving for 2 rounds, then it was fixed. 

They'll fix major issues fast. I have faith in their ability and dedication.

However, I loved this glitch. Headless Chad escapes... priceless?

I don't think the lack of patches have had anything to do with the engine. I think they just don't want to spend money on pushing updates to consoles.

1 hour ago, IronKnight55 said:

I'm loving everything about the update! The game runs so smooth now (even with rain)! Good job Gun and Illfonic! ?

Starting to think this must be Ben's troll account...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Is the default thumbstick sensitivity higher now? I haven't played in 2 months but it seems more sensitive 

Just recorded the car ''rubber band'' bug as Tommy Jarvis.

Xbox One S.

1. Jason stops car.

2. I get out and run as Tommy Jarvis.

3. I start taking damage and Jason is standing at the car swinging at nothing.

4. I die and Jason was nowhere near me. Seriously WTF.

Months of waiting for a patch and seeing several bugs and texture issues.

A friend watching me said I was ''frozen'' in place at the car.