Hugh D Paul

Friday The 13th: The Answer To Quitting Counselors

Friday The 13th: The Answer To Quitting Counselors

We all know how it feels to get lucky enough to be selected to play as Jason. It’s a rare and exciting experience that doesn’t happen every match. However some of us, myself included, like to get a perfect score when playing as the masked assailant. In my opinion, there’s nothing as fufilling as getting an 8/8 on a Jason match. It’s an achievement that simply isn’t easy to do. However, with the counselors consistently leaving the match right as it begins, getting an 8/8 is more about finding the players before they quit, and less about stopping their road to escape. This is a problem for Jason, as it provides the killer with less XP and a less impressive score, and provides the counselors with less time to prepare for attack, as less counselors in the game means less targets for Jason to hunt. That is why I have come up with a solution to both of these problems.

It’s important to note that the main issue here lies within the fact that when a counselor quits, they “die” on their own, rewarding Jason no XP, and no way to claim a perfect score. This problem also gives counselors less time to escape, as there are less available counselors to kill. These issues can be solved in a variety of different ways, each with their own set of pros and cons. They are listed below.

The first solution to this problem is to change Jason’s score to the correct number of counselors alive and available to kill. Although this plan would not affect the counselors that have escaped. This would mean that when a counselor quits, gets team-killed, or commits suicide, they would be removed from Jason’s kill score, changing a 7/8 to a 7/7. I think this is a convenient way to give Jason his deserved score, as well as completely eliminate the incentive for counselors to leave/suicide to troll the Jason player. However, this plan wouldn’t really affect the counselor’s timing issue, or Jason’s lost XP. Which is why there is another, more extensive option to resolve this and problem.

The second solution (and probably the better one) is to change the way that the counselors react to quitting. As of now, when a counselor leaves the game, they “die” and leave behind any items they were carrying. This is what causes Jason to receive an imperfect score. However, what I am suggesting is that instead of “dying” and forgoing any XP Jason would receive, they just stay exactly where they were when they quit, allowing Jason to easily walk up and kill them. This would allow Jason to receive the XP he deserves, allow counselors to receive the extra time they might need to escape, and finally put an end to any kind of trolling done to Jason. As you can see, this plan would improve gameplay for Jason’s players, and increase the effectiveness of being a good Jason.

Now before we reach the end of this post, there are a couple of other things I would like to discuss. First of all, how do we deal with counselors committing suicide? While we could keep the adjustment to Jason’s score, there is a much simpler way to deal with this: take suicide out of the game. Once a counselor starts limping, there’s little to no chance of surviving unless they find a health spray. So I say that we just let them limp. They can jump out of a second story window five times without dying, or walk in three consecutive counselor traps, but when Jason comes to kill them they’ll have nowhere to hide. And if they quit, they would stay in the game giving Jason the kill anyway. This would completely wreck troll’s power over Jason and provide him with an inevitable way to kill counselors. Want to survive? Here’s a thought: try to escape. Otherwise, the killer will get you. Secondly, how do we deal with team-killers? This has been a question that the developers have gone over, worked on, and for the most part fixed. But there are still a few issues. While team-killing with actual weapons has been disabled, the car can still be used to murder other counselors, with a -1,000 negative XP punishment. While I agree with these adjustments, I feel like when a counselor is team-killed, Jason’s score should exclud the victim, just like it would for a suicide of quitting counselor. Last but not least, I would like to discuss the Salt Mines. In the upcoming update, the developers decided to add in a new matchmaking section, forcing players with too much “salt” to enter into the mines. Basically, al the quitters are forced into one lobby. Now while this decision is a good one, I personally feel like this plan will also handle the effects of suicide and team-killing, while simultaneously stopping trolls and quitters.

So as you can see, this plan (if put into action) should stop trolls from ruining people’s games, end suicide and team-killing, and give Jason’s the chance to get that perfect score. Thank you all for reading this and please leave any comments or questions below. 

Having a counselor who quits not instantly die and instead just stands there would create yet another problem. Imagine the following scenario person has both sets of keys and the fuse on them and quits or loses connection. They aren't dead so nobody can take the keys or fuse from them til Jason kills them.

Have you not been following along?

The salt mines were created to deal with people quitting before they die. Give it a week and see if things haven't changed. 

@gamerx42z I agree that the phone box fuse and keys could be an issue. However, if the quitting counselor dropped all items and then was immobile it would be fixed.

29 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Have you not been following along?

The salt mines were created to deal with people quitting before they die. Give it a week and see if things haven't changed. 

Suiciding then quitting will be the new quitting. Saltmines will do nothing but make good players have to sit through matches with hackers, trolls, mic spammers, etc. 

Just now, Hugh D Paul said:

@AdmiralJT As I said in my post, the Salt Mines will help with this issue, but I believe it will occur even with the new mines.

Of course it will, but if they work as intended it'll be a lot less.

The mines just came out today wait and see what happens before preaching the same doom and gloom we've heard for a year.

@AdmiralJT I had actually made this post a while ago; just hadn’t released it yet. And I’m not preaching some conspiracy theory, this is an issue that I’ve been dealing with for a while. Hopefully the Salt Mines will make things better.