The80s

How will choosing our character work for multiplayer?

When entering a game (multiplayer) do we choose the character we want to play as prior to entering? But then what if two or three other people choose the same character? Will each and every game have seven different counselors + Jason? Or is there a chance that you can enter a game where three or four different people are playing as the same counselor? How are we guaranteed to get the character we want?

How does the game decide who will be Jason and when? Once selected, how does the player choose which Jason they'll be?

Or do we get no choice and just enter the first available game and the game itself will randomly assign us a character based on a lottery; first come/first serve? If this is the case, prior to entering the game, I wonder if we'll put in order from 1 to 7 our preference of the order of which counselors we prefer to play as, so when the game randomly assigns it to us, it will take into account our preferences?

When entering a game (multiplayer) do we choose the character we want to play as prior to entering? But then what if two or three other people choose the same character? Will each and every game have seven different counselors + Jason? Or is there a chance that you can enter a game where three or four different people are playing as the same counselor? How are we guaranteed to get the character we want?

How does the game decide who will be Jason and when? Once selected, how does the player choose which Jason they'll be?

Or do we get no choice and just enter the first available game and the game itself will randomly assign us a character based on a lottery; first come/first serve? If this is the case, prior to entering the game, I wonder if we'll put in order from 1 to 7 our preference of the order of which counselors we prefer to play as, so when the game randomly assigns it to us, it will take into account our preferences?

You can have as many of the same character as we want. The game is supposedly balanced in a way that makes a one character team a bad idea. As for Jason, that's something only the Devs know for sure right now.

Dang, that's kind of a bummer. Hopefully at least each character will have at least 7 different attires so if the same character is chosen more than once, at least they'll all be dressed differently. Having multiple people running around with the same character and the same attire would be pretty lame. I would almost rather have a lottery system so everyone plays a different character every time. 

But since it's basically where you can choose whatever you want, I wonder if we'll be able to see what others having chosen prior to entering the game so we can decide if we want to be the same as someone else, or someone different. 

In a interview I believe they said prior in joining a game you pick a Jason and a counselor and you chance to play Jason depends on how recently you've played him... I think.

Yeah we can play the same counselor. Yes we can change clothes. But...it is a likelyhood some people will end up looking the same in a match unless the devs put in a code to prevent it.

Randy said that they want to give players the freedom of being able to choose whoever we want, so yes, everyone can literally pick the same Counselor to play as in a match. But because a situation like that would make for a horribly balanced match, we would be able to work out on our own which combinations do and do not work. I can appreciate the devs' thinking in this case, but I personally don't like the idea. Because some people will just pick the same character every single match without any regards to the balance to their team (like in Overwatch). The only way around this would be to play in a private match with your friends, so you can coordinate and reach an agreement on who to play as.

Jason will be decided in a match based on how well each player performs on him. So, if you do really well as Jason, your chances of being selected as him are increased. This is to decrease the likeliness of troll Jasons just walking around in circles doing nothing. I hope that in private matches, you can create a lobby where you start as Jason.

As for the character selection screen, when you join a lobby you will be prompted to choose both the Counselor and the Jason you want to play as, but you won't know who you are until the match starts.

I think players will ultimately choose counselors (eventually) based on what gives them the fastest chance to win a match. Plain and simple.

Certain counselors will become neglected, because they won't be optimal for completing a match. Plain and simple. That's just the common gamer equating to spamming the best weapon to win a game or the best tiered fighter to win a match. Just a common thing in gaming. Casual players or even veterans will choose the easiest path to victory. Now more competitive players will probably view using the weaker counselors more challenging or just prefer them more. They will DEFINITELY be in the minority though.

People will be upset if players choose counselors that aren't very good. Even if the player playing them is great, because it effects the whole team. They will get crap for not playing as the best ones. I can see a lot of ugliness as a result of that. That's where re balancing the game comes in and re balancing the counselors.

Which is probably why if lobbies are created. It might be worthwhile to make the counselors choice based or RANDOM based. Make it optional. Choice based for casual play. Random based for competitive play.

I think players will ultimately choose counselors (eventually) based on what gives them the fastest chance to win a match. Plain and simple.

Certain counselors will become neglected, because they won't be optimal for completing a match. Plain and simple. That's just the common gamer equating to spamming the best weapon to win a game or the best tiered fighter to win a match. Just a common thing in gaming. Casual players or even veterans will choose the easiest path to victory. Now more competitive players will probably view using the weaker counselors more challenging or just prefer them more. They will DEFINITELY be in the minority though.

People will be upset if players choose counselors that aren't very good. Even if the player playing them is great, because it effects the whole team. They will get crap for not playing as the best ones. I can see a lot of ugliness as a result of that. That's where re balancing the game comes in and re balancing the counselors.

Which is probably why if lobbies are created. It might be worthwhile to make the counselors choice based or RANDOM based. Make it optional. Choice based for casual play. Random based for competitive play.

I don't think that will be true, considering every Counselor brings and takes something from the team. No one Counselor will be better overall than the rest. Like how the Bookish Girl will be good at sneaking around and making repairs, but she won't be the best person to stand against Jason in combat. Or the Jock may be able to deal some damage to Jason, but he won't be good at hiding or making repairs. It's all give and take. It just comes down to what you want to accomplish in the match, so pick a character to suit your needs.

Also, there's certainly no easy path to victory when Jason is involved. You're not guaranteed to win based solely on the character you pick.

• Like 2

OMG! That is something I dislike, why am I forced to play as Jason in a chance system when I don't wanna be him, well oh well, Lol.

Thought it would be you can pick to be anyone you wanna be every time! Lol. Cause really majority of pre-orders are people

who are gonna more likely play as Jason, why need me? Lol. Anyways I'm good to deal with this if they give me a counselor every time.

I'm gonna try with Jason but hopefully that doesn't equate me to be him so much if I'm THAT good, Lol.

• Like 1

OMG! That is something I dislike, why am I forced to play as Jason in a chance system when I don't wanna be him, well oh well, Lol.

Thought it would be you can pick to be anyone you wanna be every time! Lol. Cause really majority of pre-orders are people

who are gonna more likely play as Jason, why need me? Lol. Anyways I'm good to deal with this if they give me a counselor every time.

I'm gonna try with Jason but hopefully that doesn't equate me to be him so much if I'm THAT good, Lol.

Me too. I'm wondering how big of a problem quitting out of the game since they didn't get to play as Jason/Counselor will be.

• Like 2

Me too. I'm wondering how big of a problem quitting out of the game since they didn't get to play as Jason/Counselor will be.

Yeah. I think part of the reason behind making it so that you wouldn't know until the match starts was to prevent people from quitting. I think the logic was "Oh, I didn't get who I wanted but the match has already started so I guess I'll just play it out." I kind of see thinking behind that. I mean, it would be more annoying to keep quitting until you get who you want to play as (which could take a few tries) than it would be to just play the match and try your luck next time.

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a problem with people quitting a lot in random matches.

Yeah. I think part of the reason behind making it so that you wouldn't know until the match starts was to prevent people from quitting. I think the logic was "Oh, I didn't get who I wanted but the match has already started so I guess I'll just play it out." I kind of see thinking behind that. I mean, it would be more annoying to keep quitting until you get who you want to play as (which could take a few tries) than it would be to just play the match and try your luck next time.

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a problem with people quitting a lot in random matches.

Yeah but another problem we might see is people who want to play as Jason spawning as a counselor and just running around making noise so Jason finds them easily and kills them.

• Like 1

I think if you do quit after a certain point, it should count against your W/L record.

Yeah but another problem we might see is people who want to play as Jason spawning as a counselor and just running around making noise so Jason finds them easily and kills them.

Yeah, but that'll just be their problem. Unless they decide to run around making noise near other Counselors so Jason will find both of them. Griefers are always an issue in online games.

I think if you do quit after a certain point, it should count against your W/L record.

Yeah, the devs said that quitting a match too often will hurt your chances of being selected as Jason, because they obviously don't want a match where the Jason player might quit out.

• Like 1

Yeah, but that'll just be their problem. Unless they decide to run around making noise near other Counselors so Jason will find both of them. Griefers are always an issue in online games.

Yeah, the devs said that quitting a match too often will hurt your chances of being selected as Jason, because they obviously don't want a match where the Jason player might quit out.

I wonder if the really good players who always try their hardest will be given the chance to play as Jason a lot more often? Like maybe for every two or three times they're a counselor they'll get to be Jason again? Hopefully you don't have to do seven rounds as a counselor before getting to be Jason again. 

It sounds that way, though there's no set data yet. A lot of this is still theory.

They're certainly working hard to make the counsellors fun to play as, to avert as much of the 'only want to be Jason' factor as possible.

Being able to play as Jason in single-layer and against bots, should make the counselor experience more unique and interesting - thus neutralising the Jason factor you speak of, making it more balanced.

None if us actually now how the selection system really works,it hasnt been fully revealed. So with all the speculative whines we should probably shut up about it. "Ohhh i dont like this.. Ohhh i dont like that." we dont even know anything really yet. I think by GUN trying to be transparent really does more to fuel the idiots more than anything.

None if us actually now how the selection system really works,it hasnt been fully revealed. So with all the speculative whines we should probably shut up about it. "Ohhh i dont like this.. Ohhh i dont like that." we dont even know anything really yet. I think by GUN trying to be transparent really does more to fuel the idiots more than anything.

Well we aren't completely without info on the subject either, as they did say you will pick your Jason and your counselor at which point a Jason will be picked based on multiple factors, like when did you last play as Jason and how good of a Jason you are. That's the part I'm not sure about. Does it mean if you play Jason the way he acts in the films will you have a higher chance of getting to play him? Or is it more like if you wipe whole groups you have a higher chance? We have the idea, just not all the details.

I'm not speculating, I'm going off what I've heard the devs actually say. Unless they've completely overhauled the old selection system in the past month, I'm confident in repeating what they said as truth.

@BlackWidow I wasnt really directing the comment to you per se. Everything you have said has been accurate. I dont think its wrong to let selection of Jason be performance based. Jason is a vital role, and nobody wants a terribly played Jason. Im talking about people complaining about it already without playing it or seeing how its actually going to work out. Playing Jason should be almost a reward for playing well. But also accessible for people who are not naturally great gamers as well.

@BlackWidow I wasnt really directing the comment to you per se. Everything you have said has been accurate. I dont think its wrong to let selection of Jason be performance based. Jason is a vital role, and nobody wants a terribly played Jason. Im talking about people complaining about it already without playing it or seeing how its actually going to work out. Playing Jason should be almost a reward for playing well. But also accessible for people who are not naturally great gamers as well.

Ah, my mistake. And I completely agree with what you're saying. We should give the system a try before we reach a conclusion and start complaining.

Honestly still the chance system wasn't something anyone expected.

Peoples minds are blown now. It's like I play Jason but doesn't mean I want to be him.

It's sorta a restrictive system that is in place. I'm thinking this relates to Dead by daylight and

how hard it looks for survivor players to find a killer. An possibly if F13 the game had the same

selection system in place like them, people I GUESS would be complaining about not finding a killer

as well in a good time span. It's like I don't wanna suck being on any side, but I want to play as

what I wanna play as. The most thing that would suck would be if I'm good as Jason an not a

counselor, like WTF! An if the chance system is so gosh darn true I'll be playing more of a character

I rather not play as for right now, it would get tiring and boring if you get Jason or vice versa 10 rounds!

When you just wanted to alternate. For me I agree and disagree, Politely. I agree in a balanced multi-player gaming

perspective way, so you can get a Jason and counselor every round just do a chance system an you'll get one regardless.

No buts about it, an a rating system to boot to see if they are allowed to be this character again or not in due time.

Disagree in a interest stand point, feeling like you do better in a game with a character you like to play as an love

to experience in the moment or something long term as. Needing that form of connection to the game without it being

severed from something you didn't have interest of doing within the game itself in the first place at this or any given time.

Honestly I'm fine but not fine with this theory that sounds almost concrete to me. I want the game to be balance at

the same time something about a character you have a connection to I hate when that tie is severed at any moment.

I know all of this sounds dramatic as hell, lmao, but just stating an opinion that I can't see to just not say a loud.

(I also feel like if they didn't put so much effort in to counselors wardrobes/looks I wouldn't be screaming to wanting

to play as them so badly, and just see how they are like in the environment. All these different characters it's like I wonder

if they will have descriptions/short back-stories about them.)

Honestly still the chance system wasn't something anyone expected.

Peoples minds are blown now. It's like I play Jason but doesn't mean I want to be him.

It's sorta a restrictive system that is in place. I'm thinking this relates to Dead by daylight and

how hard it looks for survivor players to find a killer. An possibly if F13 the game had the same

selection system in place like them, people I GUESS would be complaining about not finding a killer

as well in a good time span. It's like I don't wanna suck being on any side, but I want to play as

what I wanna play as. The most thing that would suck would be if I'm good as Jason an not a

counselor, like WTF! An if the chance system is so gosh darn true I'll be playing more of a character

I rather not play as for right now, it would get tiring and boring if you get Jason or vice versa 10 rounds!

When you just wanted to alternate. For me I agree and disagree, Politely. I agree in a balanced multi-player gaming

perspective way, so you can get a Jason and counselor every round just do a chance system an you'll get one regardless.

No buts about it, an a rating system to boot to see if they are allowed to be this character again or not in due time.

Disagree in a interest stand point, feeling like you do better in a game with a character you like to play as an love

to experience in the moment or something long term as. Needing that form of connection to the game without it being

severed from something you didn't have interest of doing within the game itself in the first place at this or any given time.

Honestly I'm fine but not fine with this theory that sounds almost concrete to me. I want the game to be balance at

the same time something about a character you have a connection to I hate when that tie is severed at any moment.

I know all of this sounds dramatic as hell, lmao, but just stating an opinion that I can't see to just not say a loud.

(I also feel like if they didn't put so much effort in to counselors wardrobes/looks I wouldn't be screaming to wanting

to play as them so badly, and just see how they are like in the environment. All these different characters it's like I wonder

if they will have descriptions/short back-stories about them.)

Maybe we can choose to opt out of being Jason if we don't want to play as him and then it can randomly select someone that did want to play as Jason.