HTMLRulezdOOd1

Do people not know to pocket knife traps?

In the selfish scheme of things and against Jasons who grab, sure, tanking traps and keeping knives seems like a good idea.

Then you get a Jason like me.

I trap unusual areas, but important ones. I like to slash and often am a high damage jason, meaning either part 3, 4, or savini. Or maybe I'm part 5 or 6 so I have a bunch more knives so that I can toss one at you between swings.

Your knives are useless if I smack you in the head with a meat cleaver until you drop dead and you can't heal if I'm hitting you.

On the flip side, I work towards the goal of "escape". I will disarm the phone, the cars, whatever that is vital to surviving as a group. Even if there aren't many counselors left, I still disarm the trap with a knife because I don't want jason to land on my head.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daneasaur said:

Your knives are useless if I smack you in the head with a meat cleaver until you drop dead and you can't heal if I'm hitting you.

Your slashes are useless if I simply block and counter stun you. Or even if I don’t happen to block, you still get counter stunned. And trapping random areas? Doesn’t sound like a good Jason to me. 

1 minute ago, Tommy86 said:

Your slashes are useless if I simply block and counter stun you. And trapping random areas? Doesn’t sound like a good Jason to me.

There was a chad who thought that.

He's dead now because he thought I couldn't smack him in the face with a knife after blocking.

2 minutes ago, Daneasaur said:

There was a chad who thought that.

He's dead now because he thought I couldn't smack him in the face with a knife after blocking.

LOL ok then. You blocked or he blocked? If he was blocking then he wouldn’t have taken the knife anyway. Blocked knives don’t do much damage.

• Confused 1

LOL ok then. You blocked or he blocked? If he was blocking then he wouldn’t have taken the knife anyway. Blocked knives don’t do much damage.

I blocked. It's somewhat astounding how so many people think you're just gonna run up to them and let them smack you in the face that they are completely unprepared for their weapon to bounce off or break and Jason to still be standing.

7 minutes ago, Daneasaur said:

I blocked. It's somewhat astounding how so many people think you're just gonna run up to them and let them smack you in the face that they are completely unprepared for their weapon to bounce off or break and Jason to still be standing.

Yes, I posted guides on block + knife and block + grab in the Playbook a while back. There’s a lot of stuff you can do. Knife + Grab as well is good, you throw knife during counselor swing start up then interrupt the animation with grab. So even if they have pocket knife, they’ve still taken 30 damage and received no stam off blocked hit. 

Knife interrupted with Slash is also good for finishing off a counselor, with +Weapon Str Jason that is 60 damage in 1 second. But it is only for finishing off, because if they have a weapon you will get counter stunned for that.

2 hours ago, Whitebabyjoker said:

In Private matches, I use those pocket knives. Mostly because, just like everyone, I play with friends who know what they are doing and we all have a mics.

Right. So you agree that in a match with competent players it's better to use the knives.

Glad we sorted that out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

Your slashes are useless if I simply block and counter stun you. Or even if I don’t happen to block, you still get counter stunned. And trapping random areas? Doesn’t sound like a good Jason to me. 

Kind of amazing how many people do not know that you can block throwing knife attempts. How much damage does a blocked throwing knife deal on a counselor by the way? A lot of times I’ll block when I have a wrench since it is one of the more durable weapons in the game.

9 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Kind of amazing how many people do not know that you can block throwing knife attempts. How much damage does a blocked throwing knife deal on a counselor by the way? A lot of times I’ll block when I have a wrench since it is one of the more durable weapons in the game.

It varies across the counselors, but it takes 7-9 blocked knives (depending on counselor) just to cripple them / deal 50% and that is without Thick Skin. It takes 14-17 blocked knives to kill them / deal 100%. So yeah the damage is negligible really. The downside of blocking knives however is that you lose weapon durability from the knife. The knife can actually break the weapon after enough blocked hits. Dodging them is always best against mid range throws.

All information from here -

Weapon Information from BomberBuddy

It varies across the counselors, but it takes 7-9 blocked knives (depending on counselor) just to cripple them / deal 50% and that is without Thick Skin. It takes 14-17 blocked knives to kill them / deal 100%. So yeah the damage is negligible really. The downside of blocking knives however is that you lose weapon durability from the knife. The knife can actually break the weapon after enough blocked hits. Dodging them is always best against mid range throws.

All information from here -

Weapon Information from BomberBuddy

I do have thick skinned on most of my counselors. Does it really vary across counselors without perks? Because I do remember in the earlier days on the games release, luck did help with not becoming injured as quickly. So Chad could take more more damage than AJ due to his maxed out luck and AJ’s lowest luck of the group. It wouldn’t take much to injure AJ but it would take a little bit more for Chad. Since then I’m pretty sure all counselors take the same amount of damage...do they not? 

9 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

I do have thick skinned on most of my counselors. Does it really vary across counselors without perks? Because I do remember in the earlier days on the games release, luck did help with not becoming injured as quickly. So Chad could take more more damage than AJ due to his maxed out luck and AJ’s lowest luck of the group. It wouldn’t take much to injure AJ but it would take a little bit more for Chad. Since then I’m pretty sure all counselors take the same amount of damage...do they not? 

Damage is the same for all counselors unless they are blocking, that’s when it differs. You are correct Luck used to affect window and trap damage but only in the early days. Luck is tied with how many blocked hits you can take before your weapon breaks however. I believe the testing done by Bomber is accurate.

But in short, you’d have to use majority of a map’s knives just to kill 1 blocking counselor with them. ?

10 hours ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Well it depends on the range...Part 3 and Part 8 have an awful range until the match progresses. I do see your points with stealth and how it is situational and it won’t always help you every single time and I get that, I really do. I’m not gonna beat a dead horse because you’ve heard me say it 1000 times but I just don’t think sense should perfectly outline a counselors’ body unless they are in full fear or Jason has reached rage mode. At the VERY least switching stalk and sense would promote more stealth plays. 

We all have bad rounds...one time I was caught off guard with Part 9 Jason spawning at the toolshed on CL Small and I died within the first 40 seconds. I swear I was two seconds from quitting (I wasn’t the host) then I realized I had a chance to come back as Jarvis. My friend who was playing AJ found THREE knives shockingly enough (this was post January patch by the way). I spawned back as Tommy and we managed to get the kill on a very high level Jason. It was so satisfying to kill a Jason that killed me within the first minute of the game. You just gotta be patient and the game can turn in your favor.

Switching stalk and sense might be a bit of a nerf to Jason... But as I said in another post recently, I may just be too used to how it is now. I am still against nerfing sense... There is probably a better way to do it while still maintaining balance... but coming up with the correct idea and implementing it properly is another matter... No idea or state of the game will make everyone happy, unfortunately.
  They may yet make changes to it, either way it is out of our hands and we shouldn't argue over something we cannot change anyway... but that should still not stop anyone from throwing ideas back and forth. We can all learn from each other and a good idea may spawn a great idea with more eyes to look at it.

Good story of turning an early death into a tale of revenge!! Patience and a clear head make a deadly combination to your opponents.
   I have been caught of guard many times early on... as pretty much all of us have at one point or another... and it still happens. I get caught looking at my map by a stalking Jason from time to time as well... come to think of it... in all the games I have played, I think I have probably died in every way imaginable in this game at least once... except in the cemetery, I have not had that cemetery fence kill done on me yet, at least not that I can remember.
   I just don't take in game deaths personally and I try not to get mad at the game or players (there are some true assholes out there though), but we all have our moments. The Jason player is only doing his job... and sometimes he is very good at it. When I die... I will just try to be sneakier next time.

@Tommy86 I do check the map often as Jason and know how to recognize if a trap is sprung or not... I also use Jason's animations to look at the map... I have to watch for stray boats as well... but there are still times that a disarmed trap can catch me if they are quick about it. When players tank a trap, the only things that save them is bad timing with a morph... or I am fighting four counselors over the car... Whoever is at the tanked trap can wait until I kill those four first.... or if I am chasing the boat... I still need some boat tippings to complete my final badge.
   I have much better luck disarming traps over tanking them... I have found that a great many Jason players either do not check their maps often, or do not know what to look for with the trap icon. But good communication with your team and good timing, tanking a trap right after Jason morphs can save that pocket knife and still get things done. The problem is, unless you are playing with a communicative team... tanking a trap can easily lead to a persistent Jason infestation.

@Alkavian It saddens me to discover that there is no cake... but cinnamon rolls are tasty as well. Is there a pocket knife hidden inside it? I may need it to spring a trap... Jason should never underestimate the sneakiness.

• Like 1

LOL 

Who posted the confused emote on my “blocked knives don’t do much damage” post? ?

They don’t. What is it you are confused about.

I'd rather just tank the traps and heal after that, but if I'm a high repair counselor and there's just one phone trap, I'll waste without a doubt. 

On 5/20/2018 at 6:36 PM, thrawn3054 said:

Not sure how many people are unaware of being able to disarm traps. But alot of people won't because they're desperate to hang on to that knife. To me there's not really a right or wrong answer to the should I disarm traps with my knife question. It's all situational. If I got a knife and the fuse you'd better believe that traps getting popped and cops getting called. In the case of just two of them left it'd depend on how much time was left whether I'd try for the cops or go for surviving the night.

Best comment on this thread.

On 5/20/2018 at 6:05 PM, BrokenGrabJsonOP said:

who would waste pocket knives on traps? not a sane person of course, if you have a spray you just walk over the trap, pocket knives are very valuable and sacred in this game

A person who is sane and doesn't want to tip off jason that he is fixing an objective.

On 3/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, F134Ever86 said:

But then you can't aggro Jason and that's the whole point of the game

Youre not supposed to do that, thats just trolling to be annoying in the game. You're supposed to fix stuff and escape, not taunt an undead killer.

I only waste a Pocket Knife on traps if I'm playing with my buddies trying to kill Jason or in group post or if I'm in a tournament. Honestly though, I never waste them on traps.

@VLK you just have to stand before a trap, crouch down before it, sneak some inches up, then (on PS4) have X pressed

On 5/20/2018 at 4:59 PM, F134Ever86 said:

I had no idea you could do that. I thought only tommy could disarm... 

I once met someone in a lobby that thought Sweater Girl had to be the one to stun Jason to his knees. He refused to believe me and said I wasted the sweater by using it when I had no weapon. There's ignorance and then there's morons. Dude refused to look it up.

14 hours ago, Wolledc said:

@VLK you just have to stand before a trap, crouch down before it, sneak some inches up, then (on PS4) have X pressed

😮 ok, I'll try that as soon as I can, I'm on Xbox though

13 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I once met someone in a lobby that thought Sweater Girl had to be the one to stun Jason to his knees. He refused to believe me and said I wasted the sweater by using it when I had no weapon. There's ignorance and then there's morons. Dude refused to look it up.

Well, what can I say, I play alone most of the time, and until I got the sweater achievement I stopped looking for that particular item on game, I still miss the kill Jason achievement, but as it is unlikely I'll ever get it I'm more focused on the repair stuff achievements right now.