Ralph_E_Fresh

Why Packanack, Higgins Haven & Pinehurst maps are better received than the Jarvis House and ways to fix it.

It comes down to two problems.

1, The mountains in the Jarvis map.

The mountains in the Javis map make it where you can only walk via the trails to get around the map, unlike packanack, higgins and Pinehurst where there is woods where you can run through.

My suggestion for this problem?

Replace the mountains with the woods, offering more space and easier travel, the same way packanack and Pinehurst work

2. The phone box doesn't spawn at either of the main houses of the Jarvis map.

This is an even bigger problem, probably the main reason this map isnt well received. In packanack, Higgins and Pinehurst the phone box can spawn at the main house, allowing for fun chases and interesting Dynamics. The phone doesn't spawn at either of the main houses, if it did this map would be more dynamic than any of the other maps, because this map is the only map with two main houses and the only one that contains a basement.

My solution?

Have the phone box spawn at the main houses, they can switch it up even, they could have the phone box be on the outside of the house like the other maps, or in the basements.

If they can update the map with those solutions it would be better than any map currently in the game, it would be like the other maps where travel is ease through the woods, and offer variety, similarity to other maps and more challenge by having the phone box spawn at the main houses.

Another thing would be to put locks on all basement doors and to add the basement door back to the vacation house, in other maps you could lock the whole house, this map either doesn't have the basement door or when it did it had no lock.

With these simple fixes the map probably wouldn't even need a small version that's been highly requested.

• Like 6

I just replied to you on a different post but anyway yeah I agree about the phone needing to spawn on the main houses, it’d add a lot more purpose to them.

There’s no backdoor at the vacation house because there are no windows to climb through in this house and if you lock all the doors then no counselor can get inside, unlike the other main houses in the game.

I like the mountains on Jarvis House, we need different terrain instead of just fields of trees on every map. There’s plenty of trails to use as is too.

The main problem I see with Jarvis is the repair parts are so far from the objective it's extremely difficult to complete an objective. The second is that you sometimes get a two seater instead of the four seater. The phone not being at Jarvis or the vacation house is weird but not really a big deal to me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

The main problem I see with Jarvis is the repair parts are so far from the objective it's extremely difficult to complete an objective. The second is that you sometimes get a two seater instead of the four seater. The phone not being at Jarvis or the vacation house is weird but not really a big deal to me.

Your suggestions have to do with making the map more easier, not more enjoyable. 

I completely agree with the mountains part. They are sometimes so difficult to navigate around when you don't have a map yet.

1 minute ago, doitagain said:

Your suggestions have to do with making the map more easier, not more enjoyable. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, but how is moving the phone to the main house more enjoyable? I actually agree with @thrawn3054 with the parts being far away. You're post is why Packanack, Higgins, and Pinehurst are more popular and I honestly think it has more to do with the Parts to Objective distance then Phone location.

I honestly could care less where the phone spawned, it has no affect on me enjoying the game. As an aside, I would say no to the phone box being IN the basement.

• Like 1

I agree about the phone. Even though there are two main houses on Jarvis, I feel like I never spend much time in them, because most of the action on Jarvis takes place on the south of the map - where the objectives tend the spawn.

• Like 1

@doitagain Yes it would be easier. But that's why Jarvis is frustrating, because you can't find the repair parts, and half the time you have to try to survive the night rather then escape. In all honesty, how would you enjoy a map when you just end up frustrated? 

38 minutes ago, MRWood204 said:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but how is moving the phone to the main house more enjoyable? I actually agree with @thrawn3054 with the parts being far away. You're post is why Packanack, Higgins, and Pinehurst are more popular and I honestly think it has more to do with the Parts to Objective distance then Phone location.

I honestly could care less where the phone spawned, it has no affect on me enjoying the game. As an aside, I would say no to the phone box being IN the basement.

Its why packanack, Higgins and Pinehurst maps are better received, having to fix the phone box at a main house is more fun than at an ordinary cabin.

Those times where you have to fix a main phone box then run upstairs call all while running from jason, having the main houses have more importance and using those houses for a good portion  of the gameplay is what's missing from the Jarvis house map.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

Is it more fun because its easier to escape Jason in larger buildings?

Having to fix the phone box and call at a main house while being chased by jason is one of the biggest challenges missing from the Jarvis house map. It offers better chases, rather than repetitive chases at cabins only, this allows more use of main houses.

There are honestly so many things wrong with Jarvis map, and yeah I agree with some of these suggestions here but you guys are just scratching the surface. The map is “harder” but for the wrong reason, which is simply poor design. Above all else, a map should be made to allow for enjoyable gameplay, which Jarvis does not. That is why people don’t play it. 

If they wanted to make the map more challenging, they could of done it in many other, much more exciting ways than they did. Every match on this map is the same boring experience solo running literally across the map east to west, just trying to find a part. You rarely see Jason (until you do and it’s tunnel time) or other counselors so there’s not much player interaction, which also isn’t fun at all. For the most part it’s just an empty drawer simulator with a lot of hiking.

The 2 big houses are really well done but there is rarely any action there, since all the activity is at the 1 phone house people are trying to get going after quickly giving up on any other objectives. The map is honestly a mess. Compared to a good map like Higgins it is a world of difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Jarvis House and Pinehurst are both great examples of game development taking place inside a vacuum.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, gyaaft said:

Jarvis House and Pinehurst are both great examples of game development taking place inside a vacuum.

Yeah Pinehurst shares the same problems but at least the design is more interesting and visually it looks the best out of all the maps IMO. But gameplay wise it is also a chore, and also has problems with item / weapon spawn rate. it would’ve been much better if they simply condensed the map, there are plenty of cool locations to play around in but far too much dead space as it is.

Slow counselors are better off not even moving from their sector, as when they finally get to the next one it will most likely already be looted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Yeah Pinehurst shares the same problems but at least the design is more interesting and visually it looks the best out of all the maps IMO. But gameplay wise it is also a chore, and also has problems with item / weapon spawn rate. it would’ve been much better if they simply condensed the map, there are plenty of cool locations to play around in but far too much dead space as it is.

Slow counselors are better off not even moving from their sector, as when they finally get to the next one it will most likely already be looted.

The items should be more spread out, I think that's the problem with Jarvis and to a lesser extent Pinehurst, is that items are so compacted that it leaves alot of houses with empty drawers and long travels

I like the phone idea. Maybe even make one of the phones that are laying on the tables/whatever be accessible, instead of a green phone on the wall.

Maybe you can also "unlock" the phonebox for all maps, which would be cool too! No key required.

I think there should be different terrains, like.. run-down old cars or whatever. Maybe a blocked-off cliff would be nice.

I would keep the basement doors for the vacation house there, just without a lock. As @doitagain said, you can lock everyone outside and n0body wants that.

11 minutes ago, FrenchFriedPotaters said:

I like the phone idea. Maybe even make one of the phones that are laying on the tables/whatever be accessible, instead of a green phone on the wall.

Maybe you can also "unlock" the phonebox for all maps, which would be cool too! No key required.

I think there should be different terrains, like.. run-down old cars or whatever. Maybe a blocked-off cliff would be nice.

I would keep the basement doors for the vacation house there, just without a lock. As @doitagain said, you can lock everyone outside and n0body wants that.

Make a window to access it if all doors locked like Pinehurst

Just now, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

Make a window to access it if all doors locked like Pinehurst

This is off-topic, but one of the windows at Pinehurst can be accessible even though they're "high" up in the air. If the phonebox spawns at the main house, spawn to it and look to your left. You will see the brown patio and some stairs if you look farther. Then, on the left of the stairs is a window that can be opened, gone through, and even JUMPED through, surprisingly.

I understand why they reduced item spawns a while back, but because of their size, I think Jarvis and Pinehurst should have been exempt from this. I've not found a map or a walkie on more than one occasion on Pinehurst, and even finding a weapon to defend yourself with can be a chore after cabins have been looted in the first few minutes. So, they reduced items because there were too many on the small maps, but doing so completely raped the bigger maps.

1 hour ago, BFizzle said:

I understand why they reduced item spawns a while back, but because of their size, I think Jarvis and Pinehurst should have been exempt from this. I've not found a map or a walkie on more than one occasion on Pinehurst, and even finding a weapon to defend yourself with can be a chore after cabins have been looted in the first few minutes. So, they reduced items because there were too many on the small maps, but doing so completely raped the bigger maps.

They should put the upgrades from the OP, because these issues would also ruin a small version of the map, 

2 hours ago, BFizzle said:

I hate Pinehurst tbh. It get's raided too often when there are like 5 Vanessas, an AJ and a Tiff. Plus one of those occasions where you're playing empty drawer simulator and you find NOTHING, even later in the match. sIgH

I completely agree with you.

29 minutes ago, FrenchFriedPotaters said:

I hate Pinehurst tbh. It get's raided too often when there are like 5 Vanessas, an AJ and a Tiff. Plus one of those occasions where you're playing empty drawer simulator and you find NOTHING, even later in the match. sIgH

I completely agree with you.

They need to fix this, for Jarvis residence and Pinehurst, the thing is it's easy to fix:

For Jarvis House

- Spawn phone at main houses

-Replace mountains with woods

For both Pinehurst and Jarvis House:

-Have items spread out evenly between cabins, to remove the empty draw simulator, also add more items to the bread and butter of the maps... The main houses.

It wouldn't even need one big update, it could be done in this halfway bug fix updates they usually do.

4 hours ago, BFizzle said:

That is because they most likely just applied the item / weapon spawn changes to all maps without even thinking of the implications on Jarvis / Pinehurst. That absolutely sounds like Gunfonic to do something like that.

• Like 1