Dolemite

Question on Savini Jason's Mask

Hey kids...first of all, I have no idea if this is the right section of the forum for such a question, so if I fucked up, mods please move this to the right place.

That said, I'm currently working on a custom Savini Jason figure using a NECA Jason as a base. Most of Savini's coloring is pretty obvious...grey shirt and pants and lava-looking skin with lots of red, black and yellow. However, I'm getting conflicting info on the correct color for his mask. I've seen people who made custom Savini masks for cosplay and they're all completely black, but on the in-game model it looks more like a gunmetal grey to me...dark, but not actually black. I was wondering if one of the devs or someone in the know - or even anyone just looking to give an opinion - can tell me what color Savini's mask is actually supposed to be before I start painting. Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone is curious, here's an early in-progress shot of what I have so far:

Savini Jason Early.jpg

• Like 1

Cool, yeah to me it looks kind of metallic in a way. But my best advice is this...think about it this way, Jason's mask is made of a vacuform plastic or fiberglass, depending on the mask and movie. Now, if the mask was burned by those blazing fires, in your mind, what do you think that plastic/fiberglass mask would look like? I almost get the feeling that the mask is covered in soot and ash from the fires, so maybe you could go for a slightly matte or powdered finish on the paint.

• Like 1

Great work so far @Dolemite love custom figures! I did some research on savini mask and most images that I found look flat black and the glare off of it gives it that grey appearance, but I agree with you that black may not give it the pop you are looking for so maybe do a flat black / gun metal dry brush over it to give it a charcoal look to it.

good luck !

ps keep posting your progress!

I did a custom hobo Myers from Zombies Halloween 2 using a mezco Halloween 7 inch figure spent 3 days working on it and it was a blast!

17 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Great work so far @Dolemite love custom figures! I did some research on savini mask and most images that I found look flat black and the glare off of it gives it that grey appearance, but I agree with you that black may not give it the pop you are looking for so maybe do a flat black / gun metal dry brush over it to give it a charcoal look to it.

good luck !

ps keep posting your progress!

Thanks for the responses, everyone...and @OCT 31 1978, thanks for the great ideas. I really think your suggestion is the way to go. I'll test out a few paint schemes on some fodder before making a final decision, but yeah, I think doing the mask with a gunmetal or even silver base with a black dry brush over it, or vice versa (black base with gunmetal dry brush) is a good way to go. @JasonLives86's great observation about the mask actually being covered with soot/ash helps to support the idea of that look as well.

And yeah, I'll be sure to post more progress pics. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

@Dolemite, the 1 time I saw his mask knocked off it was under one of the light posts. I spent some time looking at it in the bright light, and one thing I noticed was it it reflected light and looked like black chrome. It wasn't as bright a finish as what's in this picture but it was similar.

92-705253DSD-1.jpg

Interesting, @AdmiralJT. So maybe a black base with silver or grey dry brushing is the way to go after all. Either that, or I can go with a gloss black instead of matte. We shall see!

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Dolemite said:

Hey kids...first of all, I have no idea if this is the right section of the forum for such a question, so if I fucked up, mods please move this to the right place.

That said, I'm currently working on a custom Savini Jason figure using a NECA Jason as a base. Most of Savini's coloring is pretty obvious...grey shirt and pants and lava-looking skin with lots of red, black and yellow. However, I'm getting conflicting info on the correct color for his mask. I've seen people who made custom Savini masks for cosplay and they're all completely black, but on the in-game model it looks more like a gunmetal grey to me...dark, but not actually black. I was wondering if one of the devs or someone in the know - or even anyone just looking to give an opinion - can tell me what color Savini's mask is actually supposed to be before I start painting. Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone is curious, here's an early in-progress shot of what I have so far:

Savini Jason Early.jpg

Dude , I want one so hard. More than I do in-game.

I was impressed , that no one made one yet.

Awesome work!

11 hours ago, Dolemite said:

Interesting, @AdmiralJT. So maybe a black base with silver or grey dry brushing is the way to go after all. Either that, or I can go with a gloss black instead of matte. We shall see!

Thanks.

You might even consider an amalgam of matte and gloss to achieve the mid-gloss effect. Also, you should consider padding the body before clothing him, as Savini Jason looks to be one of the hulkiest (is that a word?) Jasons out there.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Wow, it looks great so far!

For my full sized mask I did a base coat in gloss black and then sponged on matte black with a drop of white in many areas and it gave the effect that you see in game, sometimes shiny, sometimes flat, a little black, and a little gunmetal.  There's significant melting on the left and bottom, causing the chin to be slightly stretched, one of the holes on the left to have expanded, and a chunk to be missing on the left side as well.  Also, add a little bit of material to the ax damage edge to give it a raised melted look.

Here's the image I made for reference (if you need any of the views larger, let me know): KruQXTA.jpg

And my semi-adequate paint skills:

08lTWkR.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadMike said:

Wow, it looks great so far!

For my full sized mask I did a base coat in gloss black and then sponged on matte black with a drop of white in many areas and it gave the effect that you see in game, sometimes shiny, sometimes flat, a little black, and a little gunmetal.  There's significant melting on the left and bottom, causing the chin to be slightly stretched, one of the holes on the left to have expanded, and a chunk to be missing on the left side as well.  Also, add a little bit of material to the ax damage edge to give it a raised melted look.

Here's the image I made for reference (if you need any of the views larger, let me know): KruQXTA.jpg

And my semi-adequate paint skills:

08lTWkR.png

This is actually INCREDIBLY helpful, especially with the wide variety of reference pics! Thank you!

And holy shit, what an amazing custom hock! Really great work...are you doing the whole costume as well, or just the mask?

24 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

This is actually INCREDIBLY helpful, especially with the wide variety of reference pics! Thank you!

And holy shit, what an amazing custom hock! Really great work...are you doing the whole costume as well, or just the mask?

Np!  Those are straight from the game itself, so you can't get more accurate than that.

Thanks so much!  I hadn't thought about taking the Savini beyond the mask (I originally made it and a Part 7 to get signed at a con). I have started a Part 3/4 costume, and I have some stuff for a Part 7, so who knows...

C8gcyjS.jpg

Can't wait to see the figure when it is done!

Been busy so I haven't gotten much work done on this, but tonight I finally painted the mask...@MadMike's reference pics were invaluable. I ended up doing a base coat of gray and then dry brushed flat black over it. I touched up the claw marks with more gray to make them stand out a bit more, and then I did the chevron last with some additional dry brushing over it for weathering. I hope to get more painting done this week.

436971791_SaviniMask001.jpg.164355b8dc512d9ad639c58e6846c420.jpg

6 hours ago, Dolemite said:

Been busy so I haven't gotten much work done on this, but tonight I finally painted the mask...@MadMike's reference pics were invaluable. I ended up doing a base coat of gray and then dry brushed flat black over it. I touched up the claw marks with more gray to make them stand out a bit more, and then I did the chevron last with some additional dry brushing over it for weathering. I hope to get more painting done this week.

Looking awesome!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 12:31 AM, Dolemite said:

Hey that looks great first time I got to see this is today great job!!! 

21 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Hey that looks great first time I got to see this is today great job!!! 

Thanks! Actually, I have some free time tonight and was planning on getting some more work done on this...hopefully I should have some updated shots to share soon.  :)

3 hours ago, Dolemite said:

Did some texture work and painting yesterday...

42501473915_99991b0a8b_b.jpg 

Jesus I wish I had an ounce of artistic talent like that.

3 hours ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Jesus I wish I had an ounce of artistic talent like that.

You have it, dude. It just takes practice and the motivation that comes with working on something that you're really interested in, that's all.

Oh, and thanks! I should have another update soon. :)

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2018 at 12:32 PM, Dolemite said:

Did some texture work and painting yesterday...

42501473915_99991b0a8b_b.jpg 

Looking more and more awesome with every post !!! @Dolemite

• Like 1

Lookin' good, Dole. Much better than my custom work was.

Update. Most of the painting is done. Next step is to use a pin vise to drill small holes in the chest to add some spikey protrusions, then work on the shirt and pitchfork. Last thing will be the chains, and I have to figure out a good way to attach them to the figure solidly. Home stretch.

43124695545_c5909e98f3_o.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolemite said:

Update. Most of the painting is done. Next step is to use a pin vise to drill small holes in the chest to add some spikey protrusions, then work on the shirt and pitchfork. Last thing will be the chains, and I have to figure out a good way to attach them to the figure solidly. Home stretch.

43124695545_c5909e98f3_o.jpg

Great paint apps bro!!! It looks top notch right now and it’s not even finished!! 

Neca would be proud😁

if I can think of a way to help with the chains I will post something later.