Sign in to follow this  
gyaaft

Healing others needs better logic

Credit for this goes to HeriticExile over on reddit for bringing this up, as it's something that we've all experienced. You attempt to heal an injured teammate and end up healing yourself instead. Usually because you took some trivial damage that you forgot about.

This needs to function more intelligently by giving priority to injured (limping state) counselors first.

• Like 4

I agree.

For now, one way to get around this is to just drop a spare Med Spray and let a wounded Counselor pick it up and use it on themselves.

@gyaaft this has been brought up before and was met with a lot of resistance... I personally agree, but it seemed most people just think you fucked up and it's on you for not tracking the damage you've taken. 

We need to be able to choose the target for the heals, sometimes there are people doing stupid things, and I don't want to heal them. But if they are in close proximity to a person I do want to heal, I should be able to choose.

For me it's all about giving control to the players. When you walk up to a limping counselor and press the heal button, the expected result is that the limping counselor will be healed. When this result doesn't occur it leads to player frustration.

Forcing players to mentally track the damage they've taken, especially after an extended period of time, is simply unreasonable. It's just not a good design.

I always feel like an idiot when I heal in front of a injured player. I never remember if I took damage in that moment. Dropping the hairspray in front of Jason is not ideal.

30 minutes ago, gyaaft said:

Forcing players to mentally track the damage they've taken, especially after an extended period of time, is simply unreasonable. It's just not a good design.

It's not even that though. I get hit by another player and become bloodied. I then go through the window that asshole just broke while jumping through and receive damage. I then spend 5 minutes trying to get away from the person before Jason shows up chasing someone who is hurt. I try to heal them (forgetting about that god damned window) and heal myself right in front of the person that REALLY needed it. Now I look like a dick and that person is dead...

This is one of those things that only PROMOTES teamwork. I don't understand why anyone would take issue with this. Maybe make an override in case you are also limping so you would maintain priority, but if you're not limping you don't need the spray.

• Like 1

I agree. If you are limping you should always heal yourself first. The only time healing should prioritize another counselor over yourself is when they are in the limping state and you are not.

2 hours ago, RichWalk9891 said:

I agree.

For now, one way to get around this is to just drop a spare Med Spray and let a wounded Counselor pick it up and use it on themselves.

Yeah this is what I do. I don't even attempt to heal them even if I know I didn't take damage. But then there is always that one guy that is limping and I drop for and he just keeps limping away clueless while I'm yelling in my mic, "No! Stop! Come back and heal! AJ loves you!" ah fuck it die then you bastard... 🤣

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

Yeah this is what I do. I don't even attempt to heal them even if I know I didn't take damage. But then there is always that one guy that is limping and I drop for and he just keeps limping away clueless while I'm yelling in my mic, "No! Stop! Come back and heal! AJ loves you!" ah fuck it die then you bastard... 🤣

Or even worse: the guy behind him sprinting full speed to pick it up...

Dropping it is obviously all we can do about it now. But that also leaves you (and them) more vulnerable.

1 hour ago, Truth said:

It's not even that though. I get hit by another player and become bloodied. I then go through the window that asshole just broke while jumping through and receive damage. I then spend 5 minutes trying to get away from the person before Jason shows up chasing someone who is hurt. I try to heal them (forgetting about that god damned window) and heal myself right in front of the person that REALLY needed it. Now I look like a dick and that person is dead...

This is one of those things that only PROMOTES teamwork. I don't understand why anyone would take issue with this. Maybe make an override in case you are also limping so you would maintain priority, but if you're not limping you don't need the spray.

Just imagine doing this in real life. You ,,accidently´´ healed yourself right in front of a dying guy because you forgot , that you went through a broken window.

3 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Just imagine doing this in real life. You ,,accidently´´ healed yourself right in front of a dying guy because you forgot , that you went through a broken window.

"Oh, you're hurt? Let me help you man!" *spray sound* "oops..."

or

"My bad dude... I know you're bleeding out, but this scratch is really bothering me..."

or

"I thought the spray tip was facing the other way!!"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Truth said:

"Oh, you're hurt? Let me help you man!" *spray sound* "oops..."

or

"My bad dude... I know you're bleeding out, but this scratch is really bothering me..."

or

That last one just killed me.

3 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

That last one just got me so hard.

Damn dude... I was just trying to make you laugh...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Truth said:

Damn dude... I was just trying to make you laugh...

You sure did. Did I accidently say something , that could be interpreted in s dirty way?

14 minutes ago, Truth said:

Ive been known to do that with the hairspray in the early morning hours. Right in the eye...😣

9 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Did I accidently say something , that could be interpreted in s dirty way?

Sure did.

2 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Ive been known to do that with the hairspray in the early morning hours. Right in the eye...😣

At least it's just hairspray... There are plenty of other tips that could be facing the wrong way...

So you actually tried to aim away from you but didn´t saw , that the tip faced in your eye?Just kidding but , ouch.

4 minutes ago, Truth said:

Sure did.

At least it's just hairspray... There are plenty of other tips that could be facing the wrong way...

Oopsie.

I agree with the OP.  I cannot count how many times I have tried to help someone then accidentally sprayed myself. Its usually long after climbing through a broken window or something where I took minimal damage and forgot about it.  It takes longer, but I've gotten to the point if I come across a limping counselor I just drop the first aide spray by them and let them spray themselves.