Sign in to follow this  
DialM

Now That Door Combat is Being Removed...

So now that we know the engine update will remove counselors hitting Jason through doors, there's another issue that I think should be addressed: Jason using Combat Stance to break doors. Ever since launch this has bugged me. I don't fault anyone for using it (and why wouldn't you? It's so much faster!), but personally, I think it's ugly and unnecessary. It's clear that it was not intended to be a mechanic because they have a built in, FAR better animation for breaking doors. It's just such an eyesore, and I think it's funny that many of the people defending this mechanic are also advocating for more atmosphere in-game. As for gameplay, the regular animation could be sped up slightly to compensate.

I'll probably get a lot of shit for this, but it annoys me. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, DialM said:

So now that we know the engine update will remove counselors hitting Jason through doors, there's another issue that I think should be addressed: Jason using Combat Stance to break doors. Ever since launch this has bugged me. I don't fault anyone for using it (and why wouldn't you? It's so much faster!), but personally, I think it's ugly and unnecessary. It's clear that it was not intended to be a mechanic because they have a built in, FAR better animation for breaking doors. It's just such an eyesore, and I think it's funny that many of the people defending this mechanic are also advocating for more atmosphere in-game. As for gameplay, the regular animation could be sped up slightly to compensate.

Well, it's not gonna happen cuz' the majority of people here believe that only Jason's weapon should be able to magically clip through doors, which does and doesn't make any sense at the same time. Oh well lol, Illfonic stated that they're removing door combat for counselors but are keeping it for Jason, not changing anytime soon. I don't find it an annoyance unless the Jason has +Destruction, because I can't adjust myself and gain stamina to make a clean escape. 

Finally. A new topic that isn't about those stupid "Jason weapon swapping being unfair poll", "f13 for the switch" or "hitting Jason through doors" topics. I don't like this idea either. Especially when you're playing as a slow counselor looting those cabins with the drawers side-by-side, and 2 bathrooms with 1 without a spray, and Part 4/8/Savini breaking down the door, I'm like: "Why the fuck." Then I get grabbed as I'm opening a window. 

Stupid Jenny! Get your workouts done and become faster ;)

Just now, F134Ever86 said:

Im for removing door break animation and cleaning up CS clipping.

Same, but it won't happen anytime soon. 

6 hours ago, Qcici said:

Illfonic stated that they're removing door combat for counselors but are keeping it for Jason

Link?

What about when Jason hits someone through the door who is mid animation of barricading the door and suddenly the counselor is hit AND the door doesn't get barricaded? Cause I've seen that happen a few times and isn't much fun. Have to take a hit then Jason just opens the door that was in mid barricade animation.

8 hours ago, DialM said:

I think it's funny that many of the people defending this mechanic are also advocating for more atmosphere in-game.

Yea it's called having depth of mind and comprehension; the ability to conceive of two seemingly opposing things coexisting. It's advanced thinking.
And believe me, there's a lot of things funny about the people that play this game. 

CSing doors was fine. An easy fix to the clipping would've been to push Jason slightly off the door during, but no....no subtle fixes here.  If tweaking something is too much work....just rip it out. Like a Barbarian doctor.  

8 hours ago, DialM said:

That is a good Idea....but I think the Animation Looks worse than in Combat Stance. Look how he Twists his arm. It would be sad though , if you couldn´t destroy it so fast anymore. But then , if weapon swapping is out , since the machete is veery fast (well the shears are too , but...who would pick shears over a machete?) , there would be a good reason to only to use the machete. I wouldn´t like if even more ran around with the machete then.

2 hours ago, Truth said:

Link?

Screen_Shot_2018-05-16_at_6.42.59_AM.png

Also, I have a REALLY BIG CONCERN with this update.

If the counselors can't combat through doors, and Jason can;

How exactly did they make it to where counselors can't combat through doors?

They could've NERFED the counselor's hitboxes w/ weapons and made it worse due to hit detection errors. 

28 minutes ago, Qcici said:

Screen_Shot_2018-05-16_at_6.42.59_AM.png

Also, I have a REALLY BIG CONCERN with this update.

How exactly did they make it to where counselors can't combat through doors?

They could've NERFED the counselor's hitboxes w/ weapons and made it worse due to hit detection errors. 

They never said counselors "can't combat through doors but Jason can" they said counselors who were standing to close to doors might take damage.

If you are baracading the door and Jason hits it it will stop the animation and do damage.

This makes perfect sense. If you were trying to lock a door and someone struck it with a fire axe do you think you wouldn't be hurt by this?

that is so true alot of people say its unfair but it make sense lock the door and if a fire axe or a pig splitter or any other weapon they could get hurt you speak the truth

On 5/15/2018 at 10:22 PM, DialM said:

I will still be using combat stance to break down doors and to smash windows after the patch. As ugly and clunky as it is, it's still best way to avoid being stunned or taking unnecessary damage. Jason has recovery frames after the standard door break animation that make him vulnerable. Instead of Jason getting stunned while breaking down doors, he'll just get stunned afterwards instead. I'm going to guess that they made a fix that was specific to doors, so Jason will still be able to be stunned through windows and walls as well.

I would have attached a collision box to the players that extends out in front of them. If that collision box collides with the world, a different weapon idle and attack animation would be used. This attack animation would have a significantly reduced range as to only hit the wall or door in directly in front of the player. It would also fix the weapon clipping issue for Jason. Right now if Jason stands too close to the outside wall of a cabin his weapon clips through the wall. This can blow your cover if you are trying to stalk. There's nothing worse than stalking outside a cabin and hearing a voice ring out from inside saying "I can see your spear clipping through the wall, bro. I know you're out there." /facepalm

I would also use a flag to determine the player status. An 'ON' flag would indicate that a player is indoors, while an 'OFF' flag would indicate being outdoors. You could use that flag to disable damage to Jason (from people with the opposite flag) until the door(s) in question are destroyed. But hey, what do I know? I'm just some dumb-ass on the forums.  

1 hour ago, Qcici said:

Pretty much a non-issue honestly. What counselor would stand right behind the door now if they can't hit him through it? Under normal conditions, the only time you'll risk being hit is if Jason swings to break the door at the same time that you are barricading it. I think that is a fair hit given the counselor's proximity to the door in that moment. Beyond that, I wouldn't worry much.

4 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

The counselor who doesn´t know it got patched. I think they´re will be some People , who will never learn that.

Could Also be the player who is trying to place trap as well. There are a few people that do not set it as soon as they get into a cabin, for some reason

2 minutes ago, Erik13E said:

Could Also be the player who is trying to place trap as well. There are a few people that do not set it as soon as they get into a cabin, for some reason

That´s right. But you can only reach that far with a spear or the Trident , I think. Setting the trap outside the house is actually even better. They less likely see it coming and they will get Problems , destroying the door.

• Like 1

I gotcha. i get rally frustrated using spear Jason, I do not have Sav. so I am not sure how he plays. I think it would be a definit upgrade to revamp combat. to react quicker when a press a botton, sometimes it seems like there is a excrusiating long delay with attacking as either Jason or Counselor when meleeing. Using the Spear for me is an even longer eraction time. And who the hell just does an overhead smash mainly? I wish the main atack would be the thrust or a diagonal slash....

15 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

That´s right. But you can only reach that far with a spear or the Trident , I think. Setting the trap outside the house is actually even better. They less likely see it coming and they will get Problems , destroying the door.

It's a bad idea because you'll catch a counselor in it as often as you catch Jason. 

Just now, AdmiralJT said:

Running from Jason, if you run across the front of the cabin looking for an open window.

Do you hug the walls while Walking around the cabin? Probably not. there a lot of obstacles like chairs near the walls and I don´t see People getting stuck on those. And you get warned early enough , that the door is closed.

1 minute ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Do you hug the walls while Walking around the cabin? Probably not. there a lot of obstacles like chairs near the walls and I don´t see People getting stuck on those. And you get warned early enough , that the door is closed.

Too often I've stepped in someone's trap that was placed outside in the open. If you turn the corner trying to dive in a window your likely to be hugging the wall.

Traps placed outside the door can be side stepped and avoided. They should be placed in the door jam with the door closed and locked. Counselors can't accidentally step in them, and Jason can't sidestep them.

41 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

The counselor who doesn´t know it got patched. I think they´re will be some People , who will never learn that.

Natural selection will handle it I suppose. 😉

3 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Too often I've stepped in someone's trap that was placed outside in the open. If you turn the corner trying to dive in a window your likely to be hugging the wall.

Traps placed outside the door can be side stepped and avoided. They should be placed in the door jam with the door closed and locked. Counselors can't accidentally step in them, and Jason can't sidestep them.

Well , I place them so , that you have to smartly combat stance the door and it can only be avoided with shift.