6 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

dingdingding we have a winner.

Yeah but then what after that??  Let the game die out?  
They have to get on this shit and fix the game or they'll go down in history as being the sole PUBLISHERS (Gun Media)  and DEVELOPERS (Illfonic), the guys that fucked up Friday the 13th for the horror community.  I mean... would YOU want that kind of reputation stuck with you for the rest of your life?  Having to make new games and go through the industry with people STILL making fun of you for messing up one of the first bigger franchises that has been long awaited by MANY excited gamers over a period of almost 30 years... 

I don't know about you guys, but I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that.  And that's how it's going down so far.. people will follow them and be commenting about F13, it doesn't matter how far away they get from this project.  They started it... they gotta live up to the promise unfortunately.

• Like 2

Anyone remember that pre-alpha showcase video they did where Jason was stalking three of the counselors through Higgins? Remember how creepy that felt and how hyped it got all of us? (I'm assuming all of us, anyway...)

THAT is the direction they should go in. Maybe as a new multiplayer mode, I don't know. Just bring back what they originally promised.

• Like 1

I agree with almost everything you said Laphin. With the exception of a speed increase as that would just increase the number of Vanessa’s.  However Fear needs a bigger impact on counsellors and Stamina. Chad with only 1 composure should not be able to battle Jason and troll for half a game.

Stalk needs to be swapped for Sense. That would put a big emphasis on Steath tactics. And Stalk needs to last twice as long once active. Stalk burns out to fast when running and positioning yourself to get the perfect jump scare.

Heres a video of my self waiting in stalk. I wish every game went like this, but my patience paid off and the poor Buggzy player nearly crapped his pants. This should be the norm in my opinion. But with the way the game currently works moments like this are very rare.

Go to 13:14 for the Stalk moment 

• Like 2

@dandop1984  I watched it.. and THAT was fabulous.  See, if I were directing this game, I would watch this and other players' do this.. and be like.. "That's Jason... how can we steer the game in that direction and have players be able to make that occur 80% of the time"  That's me with my Stephen Spielberg hat on...  

How ILLFONIC can sit around for a year.. and not say this to themselves and then work towards it within their mechanics and gameplay.. it makes me pull my fucking hair out dude.  It's almost like they just don't get it.. and THAT realization hurts a lot.  I want to fly over there and just start directing the game myself sometimes. lol. 

• Like 1

I agree with some of what you've said, but I also disagree with quite a bit.

Either way its good to see you criticizing the game for the right reasons instead of praising it for the wrong reasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ker Juice said:

IDK about removing shift grab/slash completely.  Knowing that Jason can come out of nowhere and snatch counselors keeps me on my toes and adds to the suspense.  Also, pulling if off as Jason is not as easy as it once was.  Players are a lot smarter now and zig zag or u-turn when it's anticipated. 

Sure, you can zig zag to avoid a short distance shift that you see coming, but that doesn't mean it's a good design. Watching counselors sprint in awkward patterns to avoid shift looks ridiculous. That's not the way chases unfolded in the films, and it's not the way they should occur in the game. The current stalk+shift+grab combo is especially broken. There's no counter play at all. The only viable strategy to protect yourself is to stay behind closed doors. That's just bad game design.

I was watching @Laphin play Jason last night and what really stood out to me was how stupid the chases looked. The jogging mechanic was largely to blame. Being able to jog in close proximity to Jason while staying safely out of his grab range looks comical. Should jogging ever be a better option than running while in a chase? Instead we'll use the fear mechanic to add a black border around the screen so you can't see shit. 

I could go on for days and comment on every aspect of this game. It's simply not worth the time or effort because the developers have their own personal agendas that will always take precedence over what we as a community want. Unless it's something trivial like the "mean girl trope" that they can toss in to save face. Challenging the core design, even when a valid case is made, will just end up being ignored. That's my experience anyway.

Every system and mechanic in this game needs to be honestly re-evaluated in terms of how it impacts the overall experience. That's a rather large undertaking, but one that I feel is necessary. It's certainly easier to keep adding new content while maintaining the status quo. Which is exactly what's going to happen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Laphin said:

@dandop1984  I watched it.. and THAT was fabulous.  See, if I were directing this game, I would watch this and other players' do this.. and be like.. "That's Jason... how can we steer the game in that direction and have players be able to make that occur 80% of the time"  That's me with my Stephen Spielberg hat on...  

How ILLFONIC can sit around for a year.. and not say this to themselves and then work towards it within their mechanics and gameplay.. it makes me pull my fucking hair out dude.  It's almost like they just don't get it.. and THAT realization hurts a lot.  I want to fly over there and just start directing the game myself sometimes. lol. 

Thanks. I wish Ps4 recorded proximity chat as you should of heard the screams and laughter coming from the Buggzy player. People get pissed when they are shift grabed out of nowhere , but when someone turns a corner or opens a door and Jason is waiting in Stalk, it’s thrilling and genuinely scary, and people want that experience.

• Like 1

@dandop1984   That's another nail you hit, that I've been trying to relay to @illchuck 's team for awhile now.

And this is probably one of the most important things in the game that will win back the playerbase.
AS SOON AS players feel that this is an experience (like an attraction such as Halloween Horror Nights etc).  Once they get what they paid for... which is to HAVE that Jason Voorhees rollercoaster ride... players will come back.   This isn't a game about winning or losing.. sure it's fun to win, but what people REALLY want is the ride.

If Jason kills someone and he scared the shit out of them first... it's met with laughter and enjoyment, and not irritation.  I've worked in horror entertainment long enough to know the PAYOFF people want with this kind of medium and, once again, it hurts to see that Illfonic and Gun Media don't grasp this concept to its fullest understanding.

People want those POPCORN moments in the game.. and that's what the team should be strongly focused on.  Don't be afraid to use jump-scares if it's used artistically and effectively.  The movies had them, they work and if used correct, they aren't cheap.  TELL ME THIS.. has Jason ever once popped out in game, scared someone and they respond, "THAT WAS CHEAP".. no... they are typically excited and laugh and they got WHAT THEY TRULY WANT.. out of the game.. a scare from Jason that felt authentic.  It's as simple as that Illfonic..

"People want to receive the rush they got from the films.. those scares are the payoff"

You can't get that with Jason shift-grabs...  silly chases...  and all the other TL:DR mishaps you guys have made in this game without a clear focus on what players want because you're too reliant seemingly on these silly polls and stat numbers, and "What kind of content releases should we do next"...??  Stop all that silliness, and fix the Jason Experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laphin said:

A lot of people complain on this forum, and I see that a lot of it is based off winning and losing, and no one EVER speaks about the game's experience being bettered FOR THE GAME.. it's always FOR THE PLAYER.    People only throw ideas out on these forums to help themselves selfishly as a player, and as much as it pains me.. the devs read this non-sense and their directions are all skewed.

But that's not all the players' fault.

Granted, the developer team should be able to make confident decisions on their own game without forum help on certain things.  Like Jason hitting through doors...  Illfonic shouldn't need to question a poll on these types of OBVIOUS things that shouldn't be in the game, and should have been hotfixed out of the game 3 days after launch, they run a poll almost a year later on whether they should take such a thing OUT of the game... this would make anyone question their talents as a team, when obvious things like Jason getting hit through a door wasn't meant to BE in the game in the first place, it's not a tactic.. it's a hitbox and animation exploit.

And that brings me to my next point with Jason.  A lot of HOW counselors get away from him.. is based off of some mal-functioned, or crappily implemented mechanic in the game.  Want an example of what I mean?  The way a counselor has to tap free from Jason after a grab.  The counselor has to HOPE that Jason is standing in a closed in area, or is off balanced on the ground so that Jason's kills don't appear, via the game's working mechanics so that the counselor ACCIDENTALLY escapes his grasp..  

Does that not sound broken to you all?  When Jason or a counselor have to rely on an in-game mechanic exploit to 'win'. THAT IS BROKEN.. that's not a good mechanic.  And yet you guys over at Illfonic let this stuff roll around in the game for a year.  Another one is Jason's shift grab... it's loudly "Jason's excuse to catch people"  I guess because you thought that people would have a hard time catching counselors without it...  We can TOTALLY catch counselors without it.. but you haven't implemented STALK correctly yet, encouraging players to play Jason... like Jason.

Once again, it's not the players' fault... it's Illfonic's fault.  The players are only using what YOU, Illfonic, have handed us as players.  Shift grab is there, we're gonna use it.

SHIFT is necessary.  Shift GRAB to kill.. that's not necessary toward getting closer to that "Jason Voorhees" experience. 

SHIFT should be used to set yourself up for a counselor, not to MAKE THE KILL.  That ruins any kind of moment, chase, or suspenseful experience that COULD have been mustered up for that counselor player that Jason chose to kill.

There should be TWO main ways that Jason can kill.. sneaking up and catching someone off guard.  Or giving direct chases.

DIRECT CHASES.  Let's be honest... they feel like crap.  It astounds me how Illfonic hasn't added a "SPEED-UP" timer onto Jason so that when he's dedicated into a chase, he gets faster and faster over 10 second increments so that when you chase someone it doesn't look absolutely ridiculous.  Jason chasing someone down an open road and can't catch up??  Chasing someone around a table and it looks absolutely ridiculous and doesn't FEEL like a chase??  These are the things that Illfonic should have tested for, SEEN.. and been like, "Well this doesn't feel right, we gotta fix it"..  How hard is it to sit in a meeting and go.. "Hey every 10 seconds, we'll speed Jason up a bit if he's in a chase with someone for so much time" and they need to TEST this multiple times until they feel a point in which chases feel more authentic and less, stupid.

This would make the formula for Jason either choosing to stalk up on someone or chase them BOTH more exciting, because they'd both work correctly.

The REASON why people aren't playing your game isn't because of dedicated servers and all this stuff you guys are supposedly keeping STATS on preciously... it's because your mechanics are janky, amateur, and unattended... and Jason is not suspenseful.

I can guarantee right here in the forums that when Jason is created CORRECTLY and you guys work out all these amateurish mechanics and get Jason functioning properly as the force he's SUPPOSED to be in the game, but make it feel organic, balanced, and fun for both Jason and the counselors together.. you'll win back your playerbase.  But it's the right voices you need to listen to.. not those silly stat numbers on a page, they won't win your game back.

That is so true , dude. They just have to listen to the right ones....sadly I can´t give you a like today anymore....

Shift-grab is the only true way to catch someone and that is just wrong in so many ways....Just learning it is hard enough....

Sneaking up on then is very hard especially without shifting. Waiting outside a cabin wastes often too much time and this wasted time can and will counselors use to repair and get sh*t done, and you can only stalk 10 minutes into the game , so yeah.

This game is pretty awesome  , but it can get worse and it can become so , so much mooore..... I have so much hope in this game. This game has so much missed opportunities.

I am gonna say and will say it till it gets fixed.......

MAKE JASON GREAT AGAIN!

52 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

dingdingding we have a winner.

I mean, all of the evidence is there.

46 minutes ago, Laphin said:

They have to get on this shit and fix the game or they'll go down in history as being the sole PUBLISHERS (Gun Media)  and DEVELOPERS (Illfonic), the guys that fucked up Friday the 13th for the horror community.  I mean... would YOU want that kind of reputation stuck with you for the rest of your life?  Having to make new games and go through the industry with people STILL making fun of you for messing up one of the first bigger franchises that has been long awaited by MANY excited gamers over a period of almost 30 years... 

I don't know about you guys, but I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that.  And that's how it's going down so far.. people will follow them and be commenting about F13, it doesn't matter how far away they get from this project.  They started it... they gotta live up to the promise unfortunately.

I honestly don't think they care. If they did then they wouldn't have pushed the meta in this game to become what is has. They would have worked on and fixed things that kept the element it first had. Instead of moving towards the emote dance party that we have now and making Jason the butt of a joke. Seems they have moved more in the dbd fashion of putting the survivors above the killer/Jason players. Let's not forget illfonic has taken a little more liberty than they should have in messing with things Gun wanted in the game for "balancing" and completely disregarding canon and what the publisher's wanted at the time. Honestly feel like they can't wait to be completely done with this game, so they can move on and not have to answer any queations, deal with any criticisms, and not have to support it anymore. They act like they have nothing but contempt for the original fans and players and only want to listen to the cheap, gimmicky content that will bring in new young customers who throw mommy and daddy's money at everything that catches their eyes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

I honestly don't think they care. If they did then they wouldn't have pushed the meta in this game to become what is has. They would have worked on and fixed things that kept the element it first had. Instead of moving towards the emote dance party that we have now and making Jason the butt of a joke. Seems they have moved more in the dbd fashion of putting the survivors above the killer/Jason players. Let's not forget illfonic has taken a little more liberty than they should have in messing with things Gun wanted in the game for "balancing" and completely disregarding canon and what the publisher's wanted at the time. Honestly feel like they can't wait to be completely done with this game, so they can move on and not have to answer any queations, deal with any criticisms, and not have to support it anymore. They act like they have nothing but contempt for the original fans and players and only want to listen to the cheap, gimmicky content that will bring in new young customers who throw mommy and daddy's money at everything that catches their eyes.

They just don´t know either what the Players if These stupid Things gets thrown so often at their head.

The onliest Thing they didn´t listen to , is Savini Jason , which I am very graceful for. We shouldn´t get what we don´t deserve.

13 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

That would be a nasty downfall to the F13 franchise.  I personally wouldn't want that if I were involved in making this game.  The only way they'd be okay with that, is if GUN and ILL were never fans in the first place, fabricated their love for the 'horror genre' and only rode the ball with Sean Cunningham to earn a buck off a game they were just building up to milk a little money from via content releases, slow going at a time.. while never really putting in the effort to fix the game (too much time and money).. they could ride the ball for a nice couple years, and move on.

That would be pretty f'in sad.. but they'd have a lot of angry people following them to hell and back to make sure they never lived it down, that's for sure.

Something tells me they wouldn't make that decision lightly.  The horror community, there are some damn passionate people here.  If I personally directed this game, and stepped into the shoes of creating this.. I wouldn't go into it with that sole goal in mind of just earning a buck, knowing the community would never let me live it down.  That kind of thought is pretty scary, you'd have to be REALLY blinded by money to go down that road.

23 minutes ago, Laphin said:

If Jason kills someone and he scared the shit out of them first... it's met with laughter and enjoyment, and not irritation.  I've worked in horror entertainment long enough to know the PAYOFF people want with this kind of medium and, once again, it hurts to see that Illfonic and Gun Media don't grasp this concept to its fullest understanding.

Yeah I agree Laphin. 

I know Wes has stated many times that if the Game was a movie it starts at reel 4. Jason is killing and we are in the final act of the film.

I always disagreed with that idea, as it’s awfully strange that the game starts with 7 counsellors still alive in the final act of a film. And why would Jason revert back stealth tactics near the end. Such as getting stalk as his last ability.

I think this game actually starts earlier, and Stalk needs to come first, or swap it with Sense. Jason is around, but no one knows where, than as he gets Rage mode that is the final act.

I logged in to pm someone I needed to get ahold of and I see a Laphin thread so I pay attention.  I completely agree with Laphin on this.  There are a few things that would make Jason a real threat and give the game tension.  I won't offer or repeat past suggestions for two reasons.  1) it's all been said (and ignored) before and 2) I just don't care enough anymore to try to help these guys.   But, what I will ask is this.   They put a stumble animation in for counselors.  Why the heck did they not put a fall/scramble animation in?   Seriously, how many victims that were being chased in the movies tripped and fell?   All of them pretty much.  If Jason doesn't gain speed while in a chase, why not put like a 4-10% chance of falling when you stumble in the game?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree largely with your ideas @Laphin

The non consequential emote/Jason being treated like a punchline direction is part of why the whole thing falls apart.

I've never been ok with the timer being on the counselors side either. Doesn't make sense and it gives the speed/stamina types too much of a get out of jail free card. One of the easiest fixes is putting it on Jasons side. You don't survive the time limit, you didn't make it out. That simple.

Trolls will be trolls and they'll fuck off and be pubstars for the 20 minutes they have, but those that want to play will try to escape. Maybe in the final two minutes you allow the counselors to be able to escape by exiting the exits like seen by the bots in singleplayer challenges as a tradeoff regardless if the cops have been called, but otherwise its cops, boat, cars or kill him.

49 minutes ago, Laphin said:

...but what people REALLY want is the ride.

People want those POPCORN moments in the game.. and that's what the team should be strongly focused on.  Don't be afraid to use jump-scares if it's used artistically and effectively.  The movies had them, they work and if used correct, they aren't cheap.  TELL ME THIS.. has Jason ever once popped out in game, scared someone and they respond, "THAT WAS CHEAP".. no... they are typically excited and laugh and they got WHAT THEY TRULY WANT.. out of the game.. a scare from Jason that felt authentic.  It's as simple as that Illfonic..

"People want to receive the rush they got from the films.. those scares are the payoff"

You can't get that with Jason shift-grabs...  silly chases...  and all the other TL:DR mishaps you guys have made in this game without a clear focus on what players want because you're too reliant seemingly on these silly polls and stat numbers, and "What kind of content releases should we do next"...??  Stop all that silliness, and fix the Jason Experience.

I agree with your points, but I also see why Illfonic has chosen the balancing path that they have. In my experience, most of the people I've met playing the game weren't playing it because they loved the films and wanted an experience true to them; they were playing because they wanted a fun multiplayer game. I think that adding in a more stealth-oriented playstyle for Jason would be fun, but something to consider is that many people enjoy the gameplay as it is currently. They enjoy jogging away from Jason and beating the shit out of him, and I think Illfonic is afraid of alienating those people (and it's understandable, given the player count).

IDK, just my thoughts.

1 minute ago, DialM said:

I agree with your points, but I also see why Illfonic has chosen the balancing path that they have. In my experience, most of the people I've met playing the game weren't playing it because they loved the films and wanted an experience true to them; they were playing because they wanted a fun multiplayer game. I think that adding in a more stealth-oriented playstyle for Jason would be fun, but something to consider is that many people enjoy the gameplay as it is currently. They enjoy jogging away from Jason and beating the shit out of him, and I think Illfonic is afraid of alienating those people (and it's understandable, given the player count).

IDK, just my thoughts.

GIVEN THE PLAYER COUNT???

Have you been with the game since launch?  They launched with so many people playing this just on Steam alone, and on Twitch they were #1 for a bit.
People had expectations for the experience.. annnnd.. that experience wasn't met, because the devs didn't focus on strengthening that experience for players, and their focus went in ALL the wrong directions.  It appears to me that they are trying now to implement things like Single Player and cosmetics and emotes to save the game.. but.. again.. (a pull hair moment), these things will only TEMPORARILY get your playerbase back.. once they see shit's still the same... poof goodbye playerbase,  they'll be done with Single Player challenges, and they're back to square one after this upcoming update.

ILLFONIC is under the impression that people left because of there not being dedicated servers and bugs.. well..  that may be part of the reason, but I'll say it and I'm calling it now.  A majority of your players (you Illfonic) left because the experience wasn't there.  Just a wash out repeat and rinse of sloppy mechanics currently still in the game and people are tired of that shit.  I mean.. this is your community speaking and no one's answering.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laphin said:

They have to get on this shit and fix the game or they'll go down in history as being the sole PUBLISHERS (Gun Media)  and DEVELOPERS (Illfonic), the guys that fucked up Friday the 13th for the horror community.  I mean... would YOU want that kind of reputation stuck with you for the rest of your life? how far away they get from this project.  They started it... they gotta live up to the promise unfortunately.

Laphin,I feel you,but they don't give a shit about their reputation. They are still giving presentations on how to make a successful kickstarter campaign..Hitting Jason through doors has been a problem since launch that they are just correcting. They finally are letting us weapon swap but only when you hit level 113.

I don't know why they are so keen on destroying their own creation but they are. The game was funded,sold,and they made their money. It's clear they don't care what happens next no matter how they try to spin it.

2 hours ago, FilthyCasual523 said:

As always, I'm with Laphin on this one. There's too much of a sense of competition in this game. Most of the people playing it don't seem to realize that winning isn't even really the point.

Yes!!! Exactly. Try explaining this to a ten year old. Or an adult who acts like a ten year old.

I don't care how much THEY don't care about the game.  

We do.. some of us have been waiting around 25 years for this.  Are you just gonna let it wash away, and hope you get to live your lifetime long enough to MAYBE see another one?  This is it you guys... if THIS one's never made right, you may never see Jason on screen again.  That's a pretty big deal.  But if this game actually was spun well and the devs put a little more passion not only in the game, but their community.. they could earn WAY more money than the bullshit their earning now with whatever plans they might have for pulling out.. (don't get nasty).

This shit can be flipped for the good, and they could still be star developers.  They just need to get on it man, ..focus better.
Maybe they need to go learn a lot more about how horror entertains people and it will help them approach this all better, go talk to people in the industry and figure out what worked in the movies in terms of not the MATERIAL ITEMS (the story, jason, the characters, setting).. but learn about all the ingredients that make those things work inside the piece.. 

Once they understand that... they'll know how to make Jason work within the game and approach the mechanics with.. 'how can we build things that promote horror' within the mechanics and the way people play.. how can we pull tricks and illusions to give them this experience.  Because in the end.. scaring people is an art (not jump scares) but making someone uncomfortable, and you can give a climactic jump-scare as long as it's executed with style..  how can we put counselor players at un-ease with the other Jason player.

They should have learned a TON over the past year.... I have...  and I'm just a player.  How have they not? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Laphin said:

DIRECT CHASES.  Let's be honest... they feel like crap.  It astounds me how Illfonic hasn't added a "SPEED-UP" timer onto Jason so that when he's dedicated into a chase, he gets faster and faster over 10 second increments so that when you chase someone it doesn't look absolutely ridiculous.  Jason chasing someone down an open road and can't catch up??  Chasing someone around a table and it looks absolutely ridiculous and doesn't FEEL like a chase??  These are the things that Illfonic should have tested for, SEEN.. and been like, "Well this doesn't feel right, we gotta fix it"..  How hard is it to sit in a meeting and go.. "Hey every 10 seconds, we'll speed Jason up a bit if he's in a chase with someone for so much time" and they need to TEST this multiple times until they feel a point in which chases feel more authentic and 

I agree on this 100%

Laphin, you're not really in a position to talk about what is regularly discussed here on the forum - you're never here unless you feel it serves you or you feel like you're not being heard on your other channels...

There's been PLENTY of sensible discussion on how to improve and focus on Jason, being true to the franchise, etc. There's a small but vocal group that go on and on about the frivolous. But for the most part, this place is pretty damn sensible when it comes to "what's right for the game".

Get off your high horse. I agree with how you feel on quite a few things, but you're not the voice you think you are. Settle down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1