Elias Voorhees

Cobra Kai TV Show

Shocked and dismayed at the lack of a Cobra Kai thread here. C'mon guys, this is a retro 80's nostalgia fest! Karate Kid is just as much a part of the 80's as Friday the 13th. Anyhoo, guess I should provide a little more info for those unaware...

Cobra Kai is a web (YouTube Red) television series based on the Karate Kid movie series from the 80's. Set 34 years after the original movie, the television show follows Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) and Danny LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) as they rekindle their old rivalry. First two episodes are available free on YouTube right now, and although you need YouTube Red to watch the other eight episodes, a free trial is available.

And oh boy is this show just so much goddamn fun! I absolutely loved it! It might not be super high quality or anything, but it's done well and with heart. Loved how Johnny was so un-PC and kind of asshole like in a way you just don't see anymore in tv and movies. I think they did an amazing job with this, it so easily could have been a total disaster but it's far from it. It's respectful of the legacy, it's entertaining and it's damn funny. So, anyone else watch? Or is it just me?

• Thanks 1

@Elias Voorhees, I just watched the first episode, and it's really good. You can tell the guys that made it are fans and love the source material. I'm gonna pay for the YouTube red to watch the rest of it.

Favourite line in the episode,

"Great, another immigrant"

"We're from Reseda"

Loved it. Watched all ten episodes over last weekend. Going to watch it again.

Excitedly optimistic about a season 2 and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdmiralJT said:

@Elias Voorhees, I just watched the first episode, and it's really good. You can tell the guys that made it are fans and love the source material. I'm gonna pay for the YouTube red to watch the rest of it.

Favourite line in the episode,

"Great, another immigrant"

"We're from Reseda"

Use the free trial, it's honestly worth it. I didn't think they could even make shows like this anymore. Feels like such a throwback, yet it totally works as an engaging story for now. And the humor is just great, Johnny is a very funny and sympathetic character. :)

1 hour ago, ShiftySamurai said:

I honestly didn't think they could recreate the excitement of The Karate Kid (the tournament and build-up), but holy crap, they've gone and done it! And in a way that absolutely works for 2018. It's impressive. Sure, it might not be as polished as something like Westworld, and the acting might not be Emmy worthy, but hell, I'll take something warm and entertaining over that "worthy", and self aggrandizing kinda crap any time. :p

Also, I wanna try and avoid any major spoilers for folks who've yet to see it. So, I hope people keep that in mind and respect other forum members who might not have seen all the episodes.

THERE ARE NO SPOILERS IN THIS THIS DOJO!... YES SENSEI!

Side note - I hope those Hollywood phoneys take note, people want well told, enjoyable stories in their tv and movies. What they don't want is for writers/producers/directors to use tv and movies as a platform for their own personal political agendas. Hell, I'd take He-Man giving an end of episode motivational speech over that crap any day of the week. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

So far, this is the only thing you've posted that I firmly believe and agree with.

Cobra Kai was fucking awesome. It's fresh and new without sacrificing the original story of Daniel Larusso. It pays respect to the original movies, the original cast and the morality of the original story.........but also gives us more insight Johnny's life and a general interest in his life. The lessons he's learned (and still learning).

Can't wait for Season 2 and hope they flashback to scenes (lessons) from the 2nd and 3rd films.

(And hopefully they forget all about that shit movie they made with Hillary Swank)

4 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

And hopefully they forget all about that shit movie they made with Hillary Swank)

Thanks asshole, I had forgot about that movie until you had to go and bring it up. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Thanks asshole, I had forgot about that movie until you had to go and bring it up. 

I could've mentioned almost any other Hillary Swank movie and gotten the same response.

Jus sayin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

I could've mentioned almost any other Hillary Swank movie and gotten the same response.

Jus sayin

Tru dat

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

(And hopefully they forget all about that shit movie they made with Hillary Swank)

My problem with "The Next Karate Kid" is the lack of Danielson, They mention him little to none if I remember.Btw,,i find the remake(2010) far more enjoyable than "The Next Karate Kid."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Gloved One said:

My problem with "The Next Karate Kid" is the lack of Danielson, They mention him little to none if I remember.Btw,,i find the remake(2010) far more enjoyable than "The Next Karate Kid."

I hate Jaden Smith more than Hillary Swank but concur. The "re-imagining" was far better than "that Hillary Swank movie".

• Thanks 1

I would rather see a live action Robotech series complete with 80's hairstyles, clothes and technology they had in the Macross saga. Cobra Kai is ok im sure Chad watches it.

Watched all the episodes.

Bit of a mixed bag. The nostalgia plays well enough. However im not 100 percent on board with the more humorous approach the show takes, because the films really didn't play much for humor. I mean there was charm sure, but the humor wasn't overly used. My guess is with Pat Morita long dead, they probably wanted to try a different approach, or it could be something they chose without any side factor. For what it is, I think it works well enough. I do think based on the ending to the first season that it might run out of steam fast and go from something mostly grounded in a believable reality to just being a show relying solely on nostalgia to tells its story. Hopefully not.

For instance. I see no reason why Ali would even make sense coming back into the story. If they want this thing to continue to be grounded in a plausible reality. She's moved on with life (like real life) and she's likely never thought about Lawrence or Larusso again. So no need for her to come back. Same thing with Barnes. He has no potential as a character to me. Chosen makes no sense either considering Miyagi is dead, Sato is likely dead and it just doesn't make sense that he would think about or give a shit about Daniel. I expect Terry Silver will probably come back into the fold. Like I said though, your taking a chance of going overboard from plausibility to trying too hard.

^ I get your concerns. But, considering how bad this could have been, you gotta give some props to the writers. I have no idea if this can sustain multiple seasons or not. But I'm gonna stay optimistic and hope the writers can pull it out of the bag again. ;)

Of course Chad watches this show, been in plenty of matches where Chad struck first, struck hard and showed no mercy. :D

Not like it wasn't a given, but confirmation is confirmation...

I am considering paying for YouTube Red JUST for this series, as my family and I love it.

Are there any tributes to Mr. Miyagi in the show? It's too bad Pat Morita passed away. I know he would have returned for it.

2 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I am considering paying for YouTube Red JUST for this series, as my family and I love it.

Are there any tributes to Mr. Miyagi in the show? It's too bad Pat Morita passed away. I know he would have returned for it.

You can use the 7 day free trial of YouTube Red to watch the entire series. And yes, Mr Miyagi is very warmly and respectfully referenced in the show. Won't say any more than that. ;)

Season 2 confirmed? YES SENSEI! :D

• Like 1

I think it's a great show! I sat down and watched the whole season in a day lol. Pretty psyched for the next season!

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 6:42 PM, ShiftySamurai said:

Me and my wife and kids loved it I even choked up on episode 5! Man they delivered what I expected to be a flop! 

18 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

Not like it wasn't a given, but confirmation is confirmation...

You just made my day. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elias Voorhees said:

You can use the 7 day free trial of YouTube Red to watch the entire series. And yes, Mr Miyagi is very warmly and respectfully referenced in the show. Won't say any more than that. ;)

Season 2 confirmed? YES SENSEI! :D

Yeah, sure I can watch Season 1 for free, but what happens when Season 2 hits??

3 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Commit the 8th deadly sin and... Insert credit card information. I am planning on getting the free trial to watch this series, but if I like it, and season 2 drops... Well then, lets get to sinnin' 

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Cokeyskunk said:

You got like a whole year, so get to saving now! :p