bewareofbears

Rank System: Improving the Game for Everyone

On 5/6/2018 at 1:07 PM, Alkavian said:

Really, we have to be very concerned about ensuring that people are matched with appropriate skill. Not time invested. Private games are fantastic. I prefer them to QP, but I do recognize that huge discrepancies in skill during QP (and private) can create frustration that drives people away from the game we love to play. Our last forum Thursday game resulted in one player going 0/8 as Jason and another player quitting mid-game because they simply could not compete with the weight of skill in the lobby. This happens in QP too. I'm not a huge fan of ranking systems, but sometimes they are necessary to better ensure the quality of life and enjoyability of a game.

^This. It is about trying to help without coddling. Let people play and develop skill, while not being kicked in the teeth repeatedly. Frustration kills games as much as poor design/bugs/etc.

This is a fairly simple solution. Give preference to matching within the same rank and backfill using 1 Rank +/-- the average of the lobby when enough folks of the same rank cannot be located. It works somewhat similar in World of Tanks for example. You can be matched higher or lower, but most games will be in your target range.

I totally agree with this, on paper the ranking player sounds like a good idea, but how do you define "a good player".  

Jason is easy, it could be how consistent your kill to escape ratio is. Maybe take into account how often you are killed. ( The later is tricky because you can be a competent Jason, but you're gonna still lose to a group of competent counceors.)

Councelors are tricky because this is situational.  For example, i working on objectives but can't escape because either someone has a key item, was too lazy to bother to carry the item to the goal, etc...

It's hard to rank it based on survival because you can escape without actually doing anything to assist with the win.

57 minutes ago, shodan said:

I totally agree with this, on paper the ranking player sounds like a good idea, but how do you define "a good player".  

Average performance over a series of matches is the most effective way to measure "current" skill. It is not so much about defining good players, but where individual people are statistically performing in their recent endeavors and matching them to others who are currently in the same generalized field. The balancing should be Jason to Jason performance and Counselor to Counselor performance. Never Jason to Counselor performance. Apples to Apples so to speak. 

A better Jason will generally score more XP of Max potential XP available. When Jason meets a group that drastically out plays him, his ranking will take a hit if he is less skilled than his previous performance suggested. This might happen when a QP Jason, used to facing disorganized randoms, runs into a highly coordinated group. Taking a hit to their rank is warranted if they can't manage the dynamic shift in gameplay. If they can, it will show they are in fact more skilled, and they will keep that higher skill ranking. Average performance based ranking ensures how you typically perform is reflected versus others. If you game the system, playing only easy sweep lobbies, you'll eventually find yourself forced to play in a meat grinder lobby and get taken down a peg.

• Like 1

Man , if I Play this game I just want to relax , get a nice drink , hear some Music and chill , sometimes I talk with people... I don´t want that someone screams at me because I don´t take it serious. I think this game shouldn´t be taken serious... With These Kind of Emotes.... How could you take a Chad , who practically became a meme , in speedos who grabs his crotch serious?

I just don´t know.....

A ranked system could also be instituted that lets you choose to ignore it, you just want to play a quick QP match have a toggle that you turn on/off. It could unlock at level thirty, discouraging people gaming the system by starting a new account.

The competitive aspect can be an add on, you only have to use it if you choose. It would still sort you to people of similar skill levels but not give all the details that might take the fun out of it. 

Oh man , That would be AWESOME.....but wouldn´t it again split most the playerbase....which is ... you probably know... not very high....?

And then , how many high Level Players would even be in ,,non-competetive´´ mode? Probably not much , so I would probably be pretty overpowered there as Jason..... I could also just Play jumpscarey.... Hey.... that would be just awesome... This should definetely be a Thing!

4 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Oh man , That would be AWESOME.....but wouldn´t it again split most the playerbase....which is ... you probably know... not very high....?

And then , how many high Level Players would even be in ,,non-competetive´´ mode? Probably not much , so I would probably be pretty overpowered there as Jason..... I could also just Play jumpscarey.... Hey.... that would be just awesome... This should definetely be a Thing!

Actually I doubt it would do much splitting. Just defining how someone plays based on their current situational skill average would be a safe play on the developmental side of things. I'm pretty sure most people would be in the same range; or +/- 1 rank of that range. To keep it simple don't think of it as a competitive mode...think of it as performance based match-making. We're not trying to make this a tournament game or an e-sport. The idea is to reduce to barrier to entry for new/returning players and give folks a fighting chance on both sides of the Jason/Counselor line. Personally, I'd be fine with it simply functioning in this manner without any unlocks for rank tiers (though they aren't a bad idea at all).

I want the game to thrive. I want all of us to have fun. I want the overall mood to stay relaxed and casual. I want encourage more people to come play and not be intimidated by the learning curve so much. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alkavian said:

Actually I doubt it would do much splitting. Just defining how someone plays based on their current situational skill average would be a safe play on the developmental side of things. I'm pretty sure most people would be in the same range; or +/- 1 rank of that range. To keep it simple don't think of it as a competitive mode...think of it as performance based match-making. We're not trying to make this a tournament game or an e-sport. The idea is to reduce to barrier to entry for new/returning players and give folks a fighting chance on both sides of the Jason/Counselor line. Personally, I'd be fine with it simply functioning in this manner without any unlocks for rank tiers (though they aren't a bad idea at all).

I want the game to thrive. I want all of us to have fun. I want the overall mood to stay relaxed and casual. I want encourage more people to come play and not be intimidated by the learning curve so much. ?

Cool.

But F13 as a E-Sport.... haha , that´d be funny.... But kinda cool.

This game should of had a rank mode from the start.

F13 has absolutely terrible barebones game modes with no real substance in any of them. There's no longevity to a game or community building without a proper rank feature. It's almost 2019, get with the times. Multiplayer games are not going to grow and keep players in if the players don't have a reason to continue playing and striving for something. Take a look at all the most popular multiplayer online games and you will see what I mean.

No rank mode = most of the hardcore players for your game get bored and eventually move on to another game worth leveling up their skills in.

I didn't read the whole thread but I can say that yeah, this game need some type of rank system. But not the system that Dead By Daylight has. I think first off this game needs put together players from the same level, like put players from 100 and 150 together, and put players from level 1 to 20 together. And apart from that, the rank system. I don't know if a rank system could work in a game that you die so many times. But one thing is for sure, we need found people from our level only, im sick of finding level 4 Tommy's

6 hours ago, Alkavian said:

So much this.

After observing the discussion for awhile Six finishes his beer and says.

No

Why do I say no? Pretty simple. The game isn't designed to be that competitive. It's a casual game and it was designed to be that way. Here is a very good question. If I desired to have a to have a top tier rank why would I choose to play anyone but Vanessa? This game isn't balanced enough to support a rank system either. Nor is it stable enough. I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm saying that implementation in the current game is pointless because of all the issues above. Perhaps if they make a sequel we could have ranking. But the current game really can't support it properly.

If nothing changes- nothing changes.

We’re all comfortable with how things are but if things stay the same, the playerbase will continue to bleed out. We’ve had this game how it is for a year, I think a rank system is a good way to draw new players into the game and keep them. I get that some dislike rankings but I can’t see any real negative to being put into lobbies with people of a similar skill level.

13 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

If nothing changes- nothing changes.

We’re all comfortable with how things are but if things stay the same, the playerbase will continue to bleed out. We’ve had this game how it is for a year, I think a rank system is a good way to draw new players into the game and keep them. I get that some dislike rankings but I can’t see any real negative to being put into lobbies with people of a similar skill level.

As much as ranks and crap don't appeal to me in the slightest, you and the others do make an excellent point. Either way I could live with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I get that some dislike rankings but I can’t see any real negative to being put into lobbies with people of a similar skill level.

The sums up my sentiments nicely. I don't care much for rankings, but it sure couldn't hurt to entice new players and match people up based on their skill for a more enjoyable experience.