bewareofbears

Rank System: Improving the Game for Everyone

25 minutes ago, exye said:

So how do you rank a Deborah that fixes a car after arriving to it with all the traps taken, compared to a Tiffany who carried the parts over and took the traps? The xp difference will be great, and the Tiffany technically did more work by running the parts over. I feel like ranking would only benefit fixer counselors, because it’s far easier for them to get xp.

They really need to give out XP on an action by action basis. They also need to do XP for assisting actions (like ferrying a part to the vicinity, within 5m, of where it goes). These kinds of little adjustments would make it so characters could play their roles without needing a fixer to become a higher ranked counselor based on XP averages over X - amount of games.

• Like 2

A ranked system could also be instituted that lets you choose to ignore it, you just want to play a quick QP match have a toggle that you turn on/off. It could unlock at level thirty, discouraging people gaming the system by starting a new account.

The competitive aspect can be an add on, you only have to use it if you choose. It would still sort you to people of similar skill levels but not give all the details that might take the fun out of it. 

19 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

A ranked system could also be instituted that lets you choose to ignore it, you just want to play a quick QP match have a toggle that you turn on/off. It could unlock at level thirty, discouraging people gaming the system by starting a new account.

The competitive aspect can be an add on, you only have to use it if you choose. It would still sort you to people of similar skill levels but not give all the details that might take the fun out of it. 

Yes. You could totally make it participation optional. You choose "NO", well....you may find yourself being a level 20 getting steamrolled by a 100+ Jason with too much free time on their hands.

giphy.gif

Choose "YES" and the game will make an effort to match you with similarly skilled folks.

Here is a second pass that addresses some possible exploits. Any feedback is welcomed.

New Rank System
Goal: To create a new ranking system that is accurate yet simple on the surface.

Rank Points (RP) are awarded to players at the end of each match for successful outcomes. The purpose of Rank Points is to consolidate all of the advanced skill based calculations into one number value that can be easily stored in the database. Rank Points are progressive. You can never lose Rank Points that you have earned during a given season. However, they will be reset upon completion of the season which is detailed below. Rank Points can only be earned in Quick Play. They cannot be earned in Private Matches or while playing in Offline Modes.

Each player has several Rank Point related values that are stored in the database. One set is for all Jasons combined and the other is for all counselors combined. We'll refer to them as Jason Rank and Counselor Rank going forward.

Jason Rank is determined by dividing the Total Rank Points earned by the number of Matches Started in order to obtain the Rank Point Average (RPA). Counselor Rank is determined in the exact same way. Rank Point Average will be used as the basis for determining the appropriate Rank Tier placement. The rank itself will be stored in the database as Current Jason Rank and Current Counselor Rank. Each Current Rank will hold a value between 1 and 10 based on the Rank Tier table listed below.

Rank Tiers
There are ten rank tiers each represented by a roman numeral. They are symbolic of the first 10 Friday the 13th films.The tiers progress from low to high with 1 being the lowest tier and 10 being the highest tier. Each tier indicates where an individual player's Rank Point Average stands in comparison to the rest of the players.

Rank I             Bottom 10% in Rank Point Average
Rank II            Bottom 20%
Rank III           Bottom 30%
Rank IV           Bottom 40%
Rank V            Bottom 50%
Rank VI           Top 50%
Rank VII          Top 40%
Rank VIII         Top 30%
Rank IX           Top 20%
Rank X            Top 10% in Rank Point Average

Rank Tier Progression
Each tier must be unlocked by playing a preset number of matches. This prevents the higher tiers from being immediately accessible while giving a sense of forward progression. It also prevents people from being able to reach the highest tiers with an extremely low number of matches played.

We'll use 10 matches as an example. Completing 10 matches in a new season will unlock Rank II for that player. If your Rank Point Average is still in the bottom 10% of all players, you will remain at Rank I. If your RPA is anywhere above the bottom 10% you will rank up to Rank II. Even if you are in the top 10% in RPA of all players you cannot progress past Rank II because all of the other tiers are still locked. Using this example, Rank 10 will unlock after completing 90 matches.

The number of matches required to unlock each rank can be adjusted to control the pace at which players are able to rank up. It can also be set up to require progressively more completed matches for each new tier. For example: Ranks I, II and III could require 10/15/20 completed matches each to unlock whereas Ranks IV, V and VI could require 25/30/35 completed matches each to unlock.

The Matches Started value is used while determing rank to punish intentional disconnets. The Matches Completed value is used for rank tier progression to prevent disconnects from unlocking new rank tiers.

Rank Tier progress will be checked at 3 different times. At the start of the game upon logging in, upon entering the pre-match lobby and during the post match scoreboard. If a rank change is detected, either a rank up or rank down screen will be displayed after the post match Experience screen. This will function in the same way as the level up screen does currently.

Strength of Lobby / Jason
Strength of Lobby will be used to scale Rank Points based on the ranks of players participating in a match. As a counselor, escaping against a Rank X (highest) Jason will yield more points than escaping against a Rank I (lowest) Jason will.

If you add all of the ranks of the counselors together you'll get the Strength of Lobby value. Seven Rank I counselors will produce a Strength of Lobby value of 7. Whereas seven Rank X counselors will produce a value of 70. The Rank Points awarded at end of the match will be scaled based on the Strength of  Lobby / Jason value.

The formula for Jason is as follows:
(Number of kills) x (Strength of Lobby) = Total Rank Points Earned

Examples:
A Jason player that goes 8/8 in a match with 7 Rank X counselors will earn 560 RP.
A Jason player that goes 8/8 in a match with 7 Rank V counselors will earn 280 RP.
A Jason player that goes 8/8 in a match with 7 Rank I counselors will earn 56 RP.

The formula for Counselors is a follows:
(Survival Points) x (Strength of Jason) = Total Rank Points Earned

Survival Points (SP):
Escaping in the 4 seat car as the driver with 3 passengers = 60 SP
Escaping in the 4 seat car as the driver with 2 passengers = 50 SP
Escaping in the 4 seat car as the driver with 1 passenger = 40 SP
Escaping in the 4 seat car as the driver alone = 30 SP
Escaping in the 4 seat car as a passenger = 30 SP
Escaping in the 2 seat car as the driver with 1 passenger = 40 SP
Escaping in the 2 seat car as the driver alone = 30 SP
Escaping in the 2 seat car as a passenger = 30 SP
Escaping in the boat as the driver with 1 passenger = 50 SP
Escaping in the boat alone = 40 SP
Escaping in the boat as a passenger = 40 SP
Escaping to the police = 30 SP
Surviving the night by timeout = 60 SP
Killing Jason = 60 SP
Escaping or surviving as Tommy = 0 SP

Examples:
A counselor that escapes to the police against a Rank X Jason will earn 300 RP.
A counselor that kills a Rank V Jason will earn 300 RP.
A counselor escapes in the boat alone against a Rank I Jason will earn 40 RP.

Survival Points could also be simplified into a base value for escaping or surviving by any means. This may be necessary if support for specific win condition detection doesn't exist or if it cannot be added.

Matchmaking
Strength of Lobby / Jason data should be used in the Jason selection process to improve the quality of the matchmaking. The goal should to be to avoid extremes in matchmaking such as a Rank X Jason being chosen in a lobby with an otherwise low Strength of Lobby value. Another example is a Rank I Jason being selected to face a group of highly ranked counselors. Both situations lead to gameplay that is generally unsatisifying for everyone involved.

True Rank will be the primary rank value used for matchmaking. It is designed to enhance the quality of early season matchmaking and to make it more difficult for players to intentionally rank down. True Rank is detailed further in the following section.

Seasons and Rank Reset
Seasons are approximately 30 days long. They last from the 13th day of one month to the 13th day of the following month. Ranks will be reset on the 13th day of each month and a new season will begin. All rank related database values will be reset to 0 at the start of each new season. The end of season rank values for each player will be stored in the database as 'Previous Rank'.

Your True Rank is determined by the average of your Previous Rank and your Current Rank.

True Rank = (Previous Rank) + (Current Rank) / 2

Using True Rank will prevent players who were previously Rank X from being matched up against players who were ranked significantly lower when a new season begins. If a player did not participate in the previous season their Previous Rank will default to a value of 1.

*Dead by Daylight also resets their ranks on the 13th of each month. I think it's important to send a message that the 13th belongs to Jason and that we're here to give them a run for their money.

Displaying Ranks
Current Jason Rank and Current Counselor Rank are the database values that will be displayed to other players during a season. A Current Jason Rank value of 2 will be displayed as Rank II. A Current Counselor Rank of 8 will be displayed as Rank VIII.

There are several different options for displaying ranks to players. It may even be a preference to not display them at all.

Option A:
Ranks will be displayed to players in the pregame lobby by adding the appropriate rank numerals to all Jason and counselor portraits. The Top 3 players in overall Rank Points can have their numeral icons replaced with an appropriate colored crown. Gold for first place, silver for second place and bronze for third. This allows players to show off their achievements.

One potential drawback is that this can lead to tunneling specific players because of their rank. It can also lead to dodging players of higher ranks.

Option B:
Ranks will be displayed to players on the postgame scoreboard only by adding the appropriate rank numerals to the Jason or counselor portraits. This can help to prevent tunneling and dodging because ranks aren't displayed until after the game is completed.

Option C:
Rank is displayed to players on their Customize Counselor and Customize Jason screens only. This allows players to see their rank without having it displayed to other players. This removes some of the negative stigma associated with ranking systems, but it also removes some of the benefits.

Option D:
Rank is never displayed to anyone including the player. Using this option the Ranking System would merely be used to improve the quality of the matchmaking within the game. This would help to ensure that players are matched up with other players of similar skill.

Option E:
Allow players to choose whether or not to display their rank to other players. This makes participating the the Ranking System completely optional. The "Display Rank" option would be located in the game settings and be set to off by default. When the option is set to on, ranks can be displayed using any of the options listed above.

Rank Rewards
Adding rewards unique to ranks could help encourage participation in the system. These rewards would be unlocked by attaining certain ranks and only be active if your rank remains at the unlock rank or higher. These rewards would become locked again at the start of each new season.

There's really an endless number of options for rewards of this type so I'll just list a few as examples.

·         Jason Ranks I to IX - Bloody Weapons.

·         Jason Rank X - Special skin with chrome hockey mask.

·         Counselor Ranks I to IX - Film based t-shirts corresponding to rank. Attaining Rank VII would unlock a "Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood" t-shirt.

·         Counselor Rank X - Damaged clothing.

Other Considerations
Betrayals should subtract 1 from the matches started total of the victimized player so they aren't penalized as a result of being run over. You could also add 1 match started for each betrayal to the offending player as a penalty that will hurt their ranking.

Disconnects still count as a match started with no Rank Points being earned so it hurts the ranking of those who disconnect automatically.

It may be necessary to have disconnects, betrayals and suicides count as kills for Jason to prevent a negative impact on RPA. This still needs to be explored further.

Required Database Values

• Jason Matches Started - Incremented by 1 after the in-game Match Starting countdown timer finishes.
  • Jason Matches Completed - Incremented by 1 at the end of the match.
  • Jason Rank Points - Awarded to Jason on the post game Experience screen.
  • Jason Rank Point Average - Average Rank Points earned per match.
  • Current Jason Rank - Currently assigned Rank Tier for the season in progress.
  • Previous Jason Rank - Rank Tier attained at the end of the previous season.
  • True Jason Rank - Average of Current Jason Rank and Previous Jason Rank.
  • Counselor Matches Started - Incremented by 1 after the in-game Match Starting countdown timer finishes.
  • Counselor Matches Completed - Incremented by 1 after the counselor is killed, dies or escapes.
  • Counselor Rank Points - Awarded to Counselors on the post game Experience screen.
  • Counselor Rank Point Average - Average Rank Points earned per match.
  • Current Counselor Rank - Currently assigned Rank Tier for the season in progress.
  • Previous Counselor Rank - Rank Tier attained at the end of the previous season.
  • True Counselor Rank - Average of Current Counselor Rank and Previous Counselor Rank.

Changelist
- Adjusted calculations to function off Rank Point Average per match instead of using Total Rank Points.
- Removed rank point retention since it's no longer applicable now that RPA is being used.
- Added matchmaking info.
- Added a rank tier progression section.
- Added an option for toggling rank visibility to other players.
- Added a previous rank value to the database for more accurate matchmaking.
- Added required database values.
- Added missing survival points value for escaping in the boat as a passenger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gyaaft said:

Other Considerations

One of the possible drawbacks of this proposed system is that it is heavily weighted towards time played. It could actually be considered a positive if you are trying to encourage lots of playtime. There is a certain segment of the player base with limited playtime that probably won't be able to be progress very far as a result.

Changes could be made to have the average RP earned per match calculated versus a preset number of matches played. That would make matches played over this "magic number" less valuable than they would be otherwise. This would allow skilled players with less playtime to attain higher ranks. This is something that needs to be fleshed out further, so it has been omitted for the time being.

First. Thanks for the very well presented idea. Nice job on it.

The underlined portion is what would be most concerning. This is why I'd rather see an average "scoring" based on the last 5-10 matches played as either Jason or a Counselor. The scoring need not be seasonal to reflect the quality of play for a player in their most recent efforts. In fact, most recent efforts are probably the only important thing for effective match making based on skill. If someone takes a long break and gets rusty, those first couple matches will likely tank their rank a bit until they knock off the cobwebs. I do like the unlock ideas for achieving a given rank.

1 hour ago, Alkavian said:

First. Thanks for the very well presented idea. Nice job on it.

The underlined portion is what would be most concerning. This is why I'd rather see an average "scoring" based on the last 5-10 matches played as either Jason or a Counselor. The scoring need not be seasonal to reflect the quality of play for a player in their most recent efforts. In fact, most recent efforts are probably the only important thing for effective match making based on skill. If someone takes a long break and gets rusty, those first couple matches will likely tank their rank a bit until they knock off the cobwebs. I do like the unlock ideas for achieving a given rank.

I'm going to sleep on this and see if the design can be altered to be more inclusive. It's going to be centered on average Rank Points earned per match in some way. I'm just not sure how to balance that against the total number of matches played, because it's going to vary greatly from player to player. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Alk's been on point this entire thread. I'm buying whatever he is selling. 

fce51373-9913-49a7-879e-553852c29f4a.gif

half-baked.gif

• Haha 3

@Slasher_Clone

What would the purpose of opting out be? A ranking system would simply have you play with others of your skill level.

@gyaaft

Lots of great ideas, I have some thinking to do on what you’ve written.

Off the top of my head though, rank should be based on XP. Creating a completely new and separate system, to basically do what XP does, doesn’t make sense to me.

@Alkavian

I prefer a season based system. Rank doesn’t reset to the lowest rank with each new season, it just goes back a couple/few from where you are. If you miss a month, you’re a couple/few ranks back- if you miss six months, you’re back at the lowest rank.

Maintaining rank and re-establishing rank are great motivators to keep players playing.

How would you determine a player's rank? Their survival rate? That isn't necessarily based on their own skill, and personal skill is hard to determine in a game like this. That's not even getting into the fact that all this would accomplish is making it take far longer to find a lobby, causing even more players to leave.

2 hours ago, MichaelMemers said:

How would you determine a player's rank? Their survival rate? That isn't necessarily based on their own skill, and personal skill is hard to determine in a game like this. That's not even getting into the fact that all this would accomplish is making it take far longer to find a lobby, causing even more players to leave.

I disagree that it would make lobbies harder to find. I think it would increase the playerbase and make lobbies easier to find.

I think player rank should be based on match XP.

For the people who have no interest in competition, or who don't want to know. They can toggle it to not see rank or score but still be placed according to whatever score they're earning. I think adding a competitive angle would bring more players but it isn't a concern for some people and they should be able to ignore that part of it. Anyway I think it's a good idea to add ranking. It doesn't need to split the player base if it's designed right.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:06 AM, bewareofbears said:

I know Shifty says he spends about 17 hours a week on the forum so how about spending 20 minutes here and discussing a ranking system.

I spend 17 hours a day on the forum (well, with a forum tab open), 17 hours a week isn't anything. 

As far as features like a ranking system go... I'll read all the stuff you guys post, but I'm not the best person to speak about it. I'm the communications guy, not a game designer. 

14 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

I spend 17 hours a day on the forum (well, with a forum tab open), 17 hours a week isn't anything. 

As far as features like a ranking system go... I'll read all the stuff you guys post, but I'm not the best person to speak about it. I'm the communications guy, not a game designer. 

Ah, I see.

When we have ideas for additions or attempt to bring real change- who should we talk to?

@gyaaft Overall I think you have it pretty well thought out. I do disagree that Tommy should get nothing for surviving though. Maybe you get half points for surviving as Tommy? I do also feel like you need some points awarded for completing objectives and landing hits on Jason. I'm afraid if you only award points for surviving players will be much more selfish and refuse to help their teammates. As to the options for displaying ranks, I think C is the best choice. A and B will probably lead to tunneling, and D will lose alot of what a ranking system hopes to achieve. After all, you can't expect rankings to do much to encourage competition if you can't even see where you rank.

9 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

When we have ideas for additions or attempt to bring real change- who should we talk to?

You post it up on the forums (or reddit works, too), and I pass it along.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ShiftySamurai said:

I really glad to see you interacting with the forum, Thanks for spreading the word of Muffin.

14 minutes ago, ShiftySamurai said:

muffin.jpg

EDIT: CURSES!!! @Slasher_Clone beat me to it by 30 seconds!!!!  ?

• Haha 1

I just finished a second pass on the new rank system that I proposed the other day. The original post has been updated with the changes. There was a major flaw with using Total Rank Points that had to be resolved. Using the old system an 8-person party could farm Rank Points without penalty.

As a result the system has been changed to function using Rank Point Average instead. This also removes the problem of the system being heavily weighted towards time played. It's a much more balanced and inclusive system overall.

Many people suggested using XP as a basis for determining rank so I'll take some time to look into that next. It's kind of sad when a thread about a feature that could really help grow that game gets so little support. Meanwhile, Muffin: The Dog is up to 17 pages and 400 posts.

1 hour ago, gyaaft said:

I just finished a second pass on the new rank system that I proposed the other day. The original post has been updated with the changes. There was a major flaw with using Total Rank Points that had to be resolved. Using the old system an 8-person party could farm Rank Points without penalty.

As a result the system has been changed to function using Rank Point Average instead. This also removes the problem of the system being heavily weighted towards time played. It's a much more balanced and inclusive system overall.

Many people suggested using XP as a basis for determining rank so I'll take some time to look into that next. It's kind of sad when a thread about a feature that could really help grow that game gets so little support. Meanwhile, Muffin: The Dog is up to 17 pages and 400 posts.

Nice tweaks. I think the redesign is far more viable than the initial proposition. Bravo!

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, bewareofbears said:

A previous suggestion by @gyaaft and thoughts by @Alkavian have had me thinking on this:

Friday the 13th needs a rank system...

Why?

The type of content released so far has a predictable lifespan, easily gauged by the Steam count numbers (and very likely supported by Gun/IllFonic’s numbers on their backend). New Jasons, maps, clothing and emotes have not been able to sustain a playerbase on their own. The playerbase will boost after the engine update but will drop as it has after every update. Any thought otherwise is wishful thinking and not supported by the game’s history.

How does a ‘Rank System’ benefit everyone?

• All players, new and old, will be sorted into tiered-ranks as they play the game- ensuring they play with other players of similar skill
  • New players will benefit from playing with new players and not be discouraged by being destroyed by longtime, high level players
  • High level players will be playing against others of the same skill level
  • It will add another incentive to not rage-quit

Imagine playing as a counselor with others inside of your tiered-rank: If you’re a high rank/level player you will be playing with others that know how to play the game and use the appropriate strategies based on whatever the current balance of the game is. If you’re a low rank counselor, the Jason you face will be of similar rank and you likely won’t be destroyed.

As Jason, if you’re just starting out- you won’t run into groups of players capable of calling the cops and killing you within the first few minutes of the game. If you’re experienced, you will be going against a skilled group everytime instead of slaughtering newbies and discouraging these new people from wanting to play the game.

How does a ‘Rank System’ grow the playerbase?

• People are naturally competitive and competitive games maintain players
  • It gives longtime players, who have unlocked everything and reached Level 150, a reason to play
  • It taps into the playerbases of a variety of competitive games
  • During gaps without content, ranking up is a strong incentive to continue playing
  • Playing with similarly skilled players creates an overall better gaming experience for everyone

What kind of ‘Rank System’?

At this time, seasonal tier-based systems (based on match XP) are the most popular. A four to five tier system would be the best option to start with rank resets every “season”. A season defined by Gun/IllFonic. Ranks as Jason and as counselors are separate.

Anyway, I could on but I’ll end it there. I’ve seen @GunMedia_Ben say in the past they don’t want it to be a competitive game. I wouldn’t mind hearing why as well as @ShiftySamurai and @[IllFonic]Courier‘s opinions on this. If not opinions, how about some reasons why you guys don’t think it would be beneficial. I know Shifty says he spends about 17 hours a week on the forum so how about spending 20 minutes here and discussing a ranking system.

Feel free to add input/suggestions.

Edit:

Clearing up some confusion: Rank would be based on your performance in matches and in no way be tied to your overall level. A player’s level is not indicative of skill level. Your level would continue to simply be a means of unlocking Jasons and cosmetics, as it is now.

That is a good Idea , but I don´t want to go in a Lobby where everyone is 150 , 5 Vanessas , 2 Deborahs who are extremely coordinated....Jason is only really balanced because of the stupidity or not knowing how the game works of the most counselors. They would Need to buff Jason in high-Tier then....I don´t this game to become Dead by Daylight , you know? This game favors Jason aswell as counselors unlike DbD.

And isn´t this game to be played casually and not competetively? I really like that about the game...you know....I really don´t want to leave this game and community man....

https://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.kym-cdn.com%2Fphotos%2Fimages%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F413%2F089%2F845.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fknowyourmeme.com%2Fphotos%2F413089-introspective-pug&docid=JHUDIo3C69tATM&tbnid=HGb6C_Lt8A_ljM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiRoJ6vqf3aAhWoNJoKHfaoAI0QMwg9KAAwAA..i&w=650&h=879&bih=964&biw=1920&q=You know man i am sad&ved=0ahUKEwiRoJ6vqf3aAhWoNJoKHfaoAI0QMwg9KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Edited by The Wolf with that Toast

3 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

That is a good Idea , but I don´t want to go in a Lobby where everyone is 150 , 5 Vanessas , 2 Deborahs who are extremely coordinated....Jason is only really balanced because of the stupidity or not knowing how the game works of the most counselors. They would Need to buff Jason in high-Tier then....I don´t this game to become Dead by Daylight , you know? This game favors Jason aswell as counselors unlike DbD.

Level is a meaningless stat. It's mostly indicative of time played and not skill level. In some cases they're related, but that's not always the case. I've seen more than my fair share of mediocre level 150 players. I think you are right though, 5 Vanessas and 2 LaChappas \ Deborahs would probably be the end game meta. You might get an occasional Buggzy for the demask potential. It will remain this way unless there are changes to the usefulness of certain statistics, or nerfs to the counselors that have clear advantages over the rest of the cast under the current system.

3 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

And isn´t this game to be played casually and not competetively? I really like that about the game...you know....I really don´t want to leave this game and community man....

It's a 7 vs 1 asymmetrical survival horror game. It's competitive by it's very nature. The developers can try to ignore that fact all they want, but they'll only end up hurting the game by doing so. We've had some great difficulty retaining players as a direct result of bad matchmaking. New players that really wanted to give this game a fair chance would be quickly dispatched as counselors or humiliated as Jason. After which they'd go play something else and never look back.

Check out Matchmaking section of my proposal. I think that preventing mismatches will go a long way towards helping us retain new players, while making the experience more enjoyable for everyone.

This kinda thing is sorely needed. As is a revamp of the perks system. Hopefully it's something that can even start to think about in the near future if they can get this update out smoothly and patch whatever else will need patching first.

I don't usually care about my rank in anything that I play. But it's nice to have tiers and depth for those who do.

I just hate the current slot machine system for perks. I'd much rather have a REASON to use each perk (to level them up).  Cosmetic unlocks could be handed out even for the lesser-used perks. At least there would be some sort of incentive for completionists out there.

• Like 2