bewareofbears

Rank System: Improving the Game for Everyone

A previous suggestion by @gyaaft and thoughts by @Alkavian have had me thinking on this:

Friday the 13th needs a rank system...

Why?

The type of content released so far has a predictable lifespan, easily gauged by the Steam count numbers (and very likely supported by Gun/IllFonic’s numbers on their backend). New Jasons, maps, clothing and emotes have not been able to sustain a playerbase on their own. The playerbase will boost after the engine update but will drop as it has after every update. Any thought otherwise is wishful thinking and not supported by the game’s history.

How does a ‘Rank System’ benefit everyone?

• All players, new and old, will be sorted into tiered-ranks as they play the game- ensuring they play with other players of similar skill
  • New players will benefit from playing with new players and not be discouraged by being destroyed by longtime, high level players
  • High level players will be playing against others of the same skill level
  • It will add another incentive to not rage-quit

Imagine playing as a counselor with others inside of your tiered-rank: If you’re a high rank/level player you will be playing with others that know how to play the game and use the appropriate strategies based on whatever the current balance of the game is. If you’re a low rank counselor, the Jason you face will be of similar rank and you likely won’t be destroyed.

As Jason, if you’re just starting out- you won’t run into groups of players capable of calling the cops and killing you within the first few minutes of the game. If you’re experienced, you will be going against a skilled group everytime instead of slaughtering newbies and discouraging these new people from wanting to play the game.

How does a ‘Rank System’ grow the playerbase?

• People are naturally competitive and competitive games maintain players
  • It gives longtime players, who have unlocked everything and reached Level 150, a reason to play
  • It taps into the playerbases of a variety of competitive games
  • During gaps without content, ranking up is a strong incentive to continue playing
  • Playing with similarly skilled players creates an overall better gaming experience for everyone

What kind of ‘Rank System’?

At this time, seasonal tier-based systems (based on match XP) are the most popular. A four to five tier system would be the best option to start with rank resets every “season”. A season defined by Gun/IllFonic. Ranks as Jason and as counselors are separate.

Anyway, I could on but I’ll end it there. I’ve seen @GunMedia_Ben say in the past they don’t want it to be a competitive game. I wouldn’t mind hearing why as well as @ShiftySamurai and @[IllFonic]Courier‘s opinions on this. If not opinions, how about some reasons why you guys don’t think it would be beneficial. I know Shifty says he spends about 17 hours a week on the forum so how about spending 20 minutes here and discussing a ranking system.

Feel free to add input/suggestions.

Edit:

Clearing up some confusion: Rank would be based on your performance in matches and in no way be tied to your overall level. A player’s level is not indicative of skill level. Your level would continue to simply be a means of unlocking Jasons and cosmetics, as it is now.

• Like 7

I think would be a good idea though if u notice how it works in dead by daylight(I know people are sick of hearing that on this forum) the lower you got in rank well higher I guess you go down from 20-1 1 being the highest the killers get more toxic or “try hardy” and they’ll use cheap tactics just to rank up I don’t really want that in this game one of the reasons I like this game better than dbd

@bewareofbears I think a ranked system would be a good idea, but it needs to be tied to more than just a players level. With offline bots, and the coming single player challenges it's possible to level all the way to 150 without ever having played PVP. If someone plays too long against the machine before trying to play against a person the barrier for success is so high that most people give up and go back to playing against the machine. 

There would need to be a way of ranking players for their PVP level and not use the level system we have now. 

6 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

A previous suggestion by @gyaaft and thoughts by @Alkavian have had me thinking on this:

Why?

The type of content released so far has a predictable lifespan, easily gauged by the Steam count numbers (and very likely supported by Gun/IllFonic’s numbers on their backend). New Jasons, maps, clothing and emotes have not been able to sustain a playerbase on their own. The playerbase will boost after the engine update but will drop as it has after every update. Any thought otherwise is wishful thinking and not supported by the game’s history.

How does a ‘Rank System’ benefit everyone?

• All players, new and old, will be sorted into tiered-ranks as they play the game- ensuring they play with other players of similar skill
  • New players will benefit from playing with new players and not be discouraged by being destroyed by longtime, high level players
  • High level players will be playing against others of the same skill level
  • It will add another incentive to not rage-quit

Imagine playing as a counselor with others inside of your tiered-rank: If you’re a high rank/level player you will be playing with others that know how to play the game and use the appropriate strategies based on whatever the current balance of the game is. If you’re a low rank counselor, the Jason you face will be of similar rank and you likely won’t be destroyed.

As Jason, if you’re just starting out- you won’t run into groups of players capable of calling the cops and killing you within the first few minutes of the game. If you’re experienced, you will be going against a skilled group everytime instead of slaughtering newbies and discouraging these new people from wanting to play the game.

How does a ‘Rank System’ grow the playerbase?

• People are naturally competitive and competitive games maintain players
  • It gives longtime players, who have unlocked everything and reached Level 150, a reason to play
  • It taps into the playerbases of a variety of competitive games
  • During gaps without content, ranking up is a strong incentive to continue playing
  • Playing with similarly skilled players creates an overall better gaming experience for everyone

At this time, seasonal tier-based systems (based on match XP) are the most popular. A four to five tier system would be the best option to start with rank resets every “season”. A season defined by Gun/IllFonic. Ranks as Jason and as counselors are separate.

Anyway, I could on but I’ll end it there. I’ve seen @GunMedia_Ben say in the past they don’t want it to be a competitive game. I wouldn’t mind hearing why as well as @ShiftySamurai and @[IllFonic]Courier‘s opinions on this. If not opinions, how about some reasons why you guys don’t think it would be beneficial. I know Shifty says he spends about 17 hours a week on the forum so how about spending 20 minutes here and discussing a ranking system.

Feel free to add input/suggestions.

Maybe we could unlock rewards depending on what tier you're in

But first let's make up some tiers!

Victim (Bronze)

Counselor (Silver)

Survivor (Gold)

Final Survivor (Diamond)

Slasher (Amythest)

Grand Slasher (Fire Opal)

Rewards:

Bronze: 1 NEW perk (Poor or Common) + 1000 CP

Silver: 1 NEW perk (Common or Uncommon) + 2000 CP

Gold: 1 NEW perk (Rare or Epic) + 3000 CP + 1 NEW-COMPETITIVE emote

Diamond: 2 NEW perks (Epic or Legendary) + 4000 CP + 1 NEW-COMPETITIVE emote + A competitive-clothing pack option for only 3 counselors + 1 new weaponless Jason Kill

Amythest: 2 NEW-COMPETITIVE perks (Epic or Legendary) + 5000 CP + 2 NEW-COMPETITIVE emotes + A competitive-clothing pack option for only 7 counselors + A new Jason weapon + 1 new weaponless Jason Kill

Grand Slasher: 3 NEW-COMPETITIVE perks (Epic or Legendary) + 6000 CP + 3 NEW-COMPETITIVE emotes + A competitive-clothing pack option for all counselors + A new Jason weapon + 1 new weaponless Jason Kill + A NEW competitive Jason + A new Hero Character (can toggle if you want to play as Tommy or the new hero character)

Note: This is just ideas all put up, if it sounds ridiculous then please let me know! I'm all for having a competitive system w/ rewards because it makes players want to become better at the game and even have serious matches! 

ALSO....

There should be an option to limit the amount of clones available per ranked match. This is to help players not feel frustrated if the lobby is full of Vanessas and Buggzys meaning there's no way to escape with low repair characters. 

@bewareofbears @AdmiralJT @Horror fan @ShiftySamurai @[IllFonic]Courier @GunMedia_Ben What do you guys think of this (Sorry if you guys don't like that I tagged you, I believe this is my 2nd or 3rd time doing it so far lol.)

9 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I would be fine with a rank system based on overall level for counselors, but I would suggest something other than seasonal pure-XP level matching.  To match based on skill, I would suggest matching people by their average XP gained per match basis. That way, as people play (or let themselves get rusty), they will fall into appropriate matching for their actual performance level. They could figure out the average based on the player's last 5 matches for counselors and Jason.

EXAMPLE:

Rank 1 Counselor:  450-550 XP average per match

Rank 2 Counselor:  551-600 XP

Rank 3 Counselor:  601-650 XP

Rank 4 Counselor:  651-700 XP

Rank 5 Counselor:  701-750 XP

Rank 6 Counselor:  751-800 XP

Rank 7 Counselor:  801+ XP

Rank 1 Jason:  up to 1300 XP

Rank 2 Jason:  1301 - 1400 XP

Rank 3 Jason:  1401 - 1500 XP

Rank 4 Jason:  1501- 1600 XP

Rank 5 Jason:  1601-1700 XP

Rank 6 Jason:  1701-1800 XP

Rank 7 Jason:  1801 + XP

Now I'm just throwing numbers at the wall right now, but basically, the running average would fluctuate based on who you were playing against. You may, in fact, be a level 25 running into a level 150. At least you know you are performing on a comparable scale. It would encourage people to get objectives done and use environmental kills more as Jason to keep those averages higher.  High overall level so often does not translate into real quality of play...just time invested playing.

Just a few thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally HATE ranking systems (levels)  in all non rpgs..     And never understood why some people like it.

Also trying to group players up based on ranks to me doesn't make much sense.    Isn't invite only a better solution for setting up a game with 'skilled' players that you want to play with?

For those players who feel like they don't have a reason to play anymore after hitting 150.  I just don't get it.

I mean, I wish i could have started at lvl 150 and not give a shit about leveling anymore.

I have some reservations on there being a ranking system.  For starters, rank/ level may show how long you have been playing, but it's almost never a good measure of skill.  People could create new accounts just for that grind feeling, starting back at 1, yet they know their shit, whereas a level 150 could be one of the worst players you ever saw (and they may genuinely be bad and not just trolling a lobby).  Second, some people, specifically on this forum, have made it clear that they do NOT want this to be competitive and a ranking system really fits if you are aiming for competition.  And third, if the ranking has any influence on matchmaking, on paper it sounds good, but sometimes you may be waiting for prolonged periods just to get matched into a lobby if the ranks weren't within a certain range (ala everyones favorite comparison, DbD, unless they revamped that).  I just want to see how this upcoming patch is before I start asking for revisions and revamps on different aspects of the game.  If Day 1 problems are still around, a ranking system will be one the furthest things on my mind concerning this game.

1 minute ago, HuDawg said:

I personally HATE ranking systems (levels)  in all non rpgs..     And never understood why some people like it.

Also trying to group players up based on ranks to me doesn't make much sense.    Isn't invite only a better solution for setting up a game with 'skilled' players that you want to play with?

For those players who feel like they don't have a reason to play anymore after hitting 150.  I just don't get it.

I mean, I wish i could have started at lvl 150 and not give a shit about leveling anymore.

It's not about getting to play with only skilled players, it's more about lowering the barrier for entry for new players. If people come into the game new and  constantly get wrecked they're less likely to keep playing multiplayer and the numbers will dwindle. If there is a way for people to learn the skills and feel like they are progressing they will be more likely to stick around. As it is now a lot of new people just give up because they get destroyed in the first 3 minutes by a highly skilled group of counselors or a competent Jason.

7 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

It's not about getting to play with only skilled players, it's more about lowering the barrier for entry for new players. If people come into the game new and  constantly get wrecked they're less likely to keep playing multiplayer and the numbers will dwindle. If there is a way for people to learn the skills and feel like they are progressing they will be more likely to stick around. As it is now a lot of new people just give up because they get destroyed in the first 3 minutes by a highly skilled group of counselors or a competent Jason.

And if a high rank players tries to play the game and no other high ranks are on to be matched with?

Or a low rank player tries to play and no other low rank players are to to be matched with?

I mean, i take it easy on low level players anyways.  But at least new players have offline mode nowadays to learn the basics.

7 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

And if a high rank players tries to play the game and no other high ranks are on to be matched with?

Or a low rank player tries to play and no other low rank players are to to be matched with?

I mean, i take it easy on low level players anyways.  But at least new players have offline mode nowadays to learn the basics.

The groupings can be adjusted according to the number of players, if there is only 1 level 1 trying to find a match he gets slotted in with 75s, that is at least better than dropping him in a lobby full of 150s. 

I too take it easy on low level players, but unfortunately very few people do. There are a lot of people that see a level 2 Jason and think "great fresh meat".

It's not much different than the way the salt mines are gonna work. There's nothing wrong with keeping new players away from hardened hit squads that have been collecting Jason heads for a year.

6 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

The groupings can be adjusted according to the number of players, if there is only 1 level 1 trying to find a match he gets slotted in with 75s, that is at least better than dropping him in a lobby full of 150s. 

I too take it easy on low level players, but unfortunately very few people do. There are a lot of people that see a level 2 Jason and think "great fresh meat".

It's not much different than the way the salt mines are gonna work. There's nothing wrong with keeping new players away from hardened hit squads that have been collecting Jason heads for a year.

Well to be honest being lvl 150 doesn't really mean that player is even good.  And some players don't have the correct level.

For me.. im still under level 100.   But i should be lvl 150.  Mainly because 75% of the games i play in end up with host quits.

I dunno man.. I prefer the old skool way of doing it.  No ranks.. let the shit fly, and let people deal with it.

I just don't like ranks.. period.   But thats just my opinion.

33 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Isn't invite only a better solution for setting up a game with 'skilled' players that you want to play with?

Really, we have to be very concerned about ensuring that people are matched with appropriate skill. Not time invested. Private games are fantastic. I prefer them to QP, but I do recognize that huge discrepancies in skill during QP (and private) can create frustration that drives people away from the game we love to play. Our last forum Thursday game resulted in one player going 0/8 as Jason and another player quitting mid-game because they simply could not compete with the weight of skill in the lobby. This happens in QP too. I'm not a huge fan of ranking systems, but sometimes they are necessary to better ensure the quality of life and enjoyability of a game.

27 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

It's not about getting to play with only skilled players, it's more about lowering the barrier for entry for new players.

^This. It is about trying to help without coddling. Let people play and develop skill, while not being kicked in the teeth repeatedly. Frustration kills games as much as poor design/bugs/etc.

16 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

This is a fairly simple solution. Give preference to matching within the same rank and backfill using 1 Rank +/-- the average of the lobby when enough folks of the same rank cannot be located. It works somewhat similar in World of Tanks for example. You can be matched higher or lower, but most games will be in your target range.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HuDawg said:

Well to be honest being lvl 150 doesn't really mean that player is even good.  And some players don't have the correct level.

For me.. im still under level 100.   But i should be lvl 150.  Mainly because 75% of the games i play in end up with host quits.

I dunno man.. I prefer the old skool way of doing it.  No ranks.. let the shit fly, and let people deal with it.

I just don't like ranks.. period.   But thats just my opinion.

That's why the ranking would need to be based on match play and not just the overall level. Some sort of metrics would need to be devised that sorts people based on what they are capable of. There will be those that game the system and drop levels so that they can screw with people but they will not be common enough to worry about.

I personally don't have a problem with the learning curve. I came into this game (like I've come to most every game) late to the party. I don't mind the challenge, but sadly you and I are the minority. If it helps to get new people playing and even bring back people that haven't played in a while than it's a good thing. 

Just now, AdmiralJT said:

I personally don't have a problem with the learning curve. I came into this game (like I've come to most every game) late to the party. I don't mind the challenge, but sadly you and I are the minority. If it helps to get new people playing and even bring back people that haven't played in a while than it's a good thing. 

My thoughts exactly. I've been on since digital launch and sit at 150. The learning curve was quite brutal and that is why I try to share as much info as I can and welcome the sharing of info in the Playbook thread. A rank system may not be my favorite thing, but it could seriously help this game at the moment. Skill-to-skill matching would be desirable. Overall XP to overall XP matching would not facilitate lowering the threshold to accessibility for newbies.

Challenge is good. I'm all for it, but there is a fine balance between challenging and frustrating when it comes to the learning curve. 

Would the rankings even need to be public? If it functioned properly, and went on behind the scenes wouldn't that help to keep the casual aspect going?

@AdmiralJT

Rank would definitely be separate from level. I used level as the only current example we have of potentially skilled players. A rank system would be based solely on how you perform in matches and not associated with your level and offline accomplishments.

@Qcici

Unlocking better perks sounds like a slippery slope but I agree that some form of incentive is a good idea.

@Alkavian

I agree that rank should be based on how players perform in matches. I must have made it sound like it would be solely based on a player’s level. I don’t think a players level always translates to skill and I would rather ranking up be based on something separate from leveling up. Leveling up should stay as is, a means for unlocking cosmetics.

@HuDawg

Cujo is a much better choice for a pic.

Rank systems can benefit casual play. Inviting people is not always an option and rank systems would ensure a better overall gameplay experience with less effort on the player’s end.

@RustInPeace

I recognize there are some people who don’t want a rank system. To them I’d say the game is dying and introducing competitive gameplay and a ranking system would benefit all by increasing the playerbase and contributing to the overall longevity of the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I recognize there are some people who don’t want a rank system. To them I’d say the game is dying and introducing competitive gameplay and a ranking system would benefit all by increasing the playerbase and contributing to the overall longevity of the game.

Well said.

I just noticed that your custom title is "Herpes". ?? Feel the burn. LOL.

Completely unrelated to anyone who knows..... why the hell is it when I shorten a quoted post it keeps adding some random number to the end of the quote? I'm not doing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alkavian said:

Completely unrelated to anyone who knows..... why the hell is it when I shorten a quoted post it keeps adding some random number to the end of the quote? I'm not doing it. 

I saw that and thought maybe you were doing it because you were doing it in a text editor or something and trying to keep them in order.

40 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

I saw that and thought maybe you were doing it because you were doing it in a text editor or something and trying to keep them in order.

LOL. No, I'm seriously just putting my cursor in the quote window, highlighting content that I want to edit out, and deleting it. For some reason it keeps adding a little number 1 or 2 at the end of the quote which I cannot remove. It simply won't let me take it out of the quote. ::shrug:: It never did that before.

EDIT: If I quote the person in their entirety like I just did you, it doesn't post the number.

40 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

I saw that and thought maybe ...

1 minute ago, Alkavian said:

LOL. No, I'm seriously just putting my cursor in the quote window, highlighting content that I want to edit out, and deleting it. For some reason it keeps adding a little number 1 or 2 at the end of the quote which I cannot remove. It simply won't let me take it out of the quote. ::shrug:: It never did that before.

Have you switched or upgraded your browser?

4 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Have you switched or upgraded your browser?

Not that I know of. Wife might have. If I add your edited quote after the fact, there is no issue. See previous post.

Weird.

Anyway, enough on my technical difficulties, I don't want to derail the thread. LOL.

EDIT:  AH HA! I figured it out. My wife is doing college courses trying to finish up her degree, and she installed Grammarly on the computer. It is hijacking my posts and putting some sort of editing tags on what I'm doing. I disabled it for this website. That should fix it.

5 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

EDIT:  AH HA! I figured it out. My wife is doing college courses trying to finish up her degree, and she installed Grammarly on the computer. It is hijacking my posts and putting some sort of editing tags on what I'm doing. I disabled it for this website. That should fix it

Congratulations

1 minute ago, AdmiralJT said:

Congratul

Ah yes. Works perfect now.

So how do you rank a Deborah that fixes a car after arriving to it with all the traps taken, compared to a Tiffany who carried the parts over and took the traps? The xp difference will be great, and the Tiffany technically did more work by running the parts over. I feel like ranking would only benefit fixer counselors, because it’s far easier for them to get xp.