F134Ever86

New Friday the 13th tv show

Could Friday the 13th work on the small screen?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Jason on tv?

• Absolutely
    • No, Have you not learned from the past?

With the cancellation of the latest film and announcement of a childs play tv show, who wants jason on the small screen? I think it would be a great idea because the lore is too expansive for the big screen. Its a good opportunity to tell the origins of crytal lake and explain why jason cant die.  

I would love to see a TV series that takes place between Parts V and VI and shows Tommy's life in an institution. Another season could be about Jason's childhood and everything that leads up to him drowning. 

I would be cool with this if it was a modern, two involved good characters/arcs, and three not just focused on Jason. A modern story set in that universe should be way more expansive than just the camp. 

Develop the town of Forest Green, have a military component that teases Jason X but changes it so it defunded. Allowing you to ignore parts of the movie. Have a sub plot explaining the Necronomicon, and psychics, but don't focus on these parts just include them where needed to flesh out the story. 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:06 AM, deathbat96777 said:

I would love to see a TV series that takes place between Parts V and VI and shows Tommy's life in an institution. Another season could be about Jason's childhood and everything that leads up to him drowning. 

It could also show Trish and Tommy’s relationship in that time period too!

My thoughts for the show: takes place in modern day crystal lake focused on a group of teens, their families and the lives they lead (think riverdale). Some families were born and raised there so they know the history (some more than others) and also a few new groups who know nothing. After getting to know these characters a bit the town decides (but is conflicted) its time to reopen camp crystal lake. The group of teens are introduced to each other when theyre hired to refurbish and run the camp. On the first night after a long day of work (and play) , the group is gathered round the fire when one of the older locals (of native american descent) tells the others about camp blood and how theres more to the story. The lake has had a death curse long before the voorhees murders...Starting around the 1800's when North America was being taken from the natives. Needless to say, a group of white settlers find the lake and will stop at nothing to claim it as their own. They murder the whole tribe and toss their bodies in the lake but not before a shaman curses the land and the settlers. I would have the first season revolve around the teens lives and learning the origins of the crystal lake death curse. No jason or pamela except through stories told round the fire. Towards the end of season 1 we start to  get a sense that jason is around. Season 2 would expand on jasons/pamelas/elias lives and relationship. Expect themes of family, revenge, loss of innocence and betrayal. 

They've tried twice in the last 15 years to get a show off the ground, and as of yet nothing. That should be your answer right there.

There was a tv show but I don't think Jason was in it

• Sad 1

Do a limited run series about the crystal lake area, multiple storylines, about 4 hours or so. Tell a story over a few episodes and make it like 3 slasher movies in one, with storylines that weave in and out of each other. Give us characters we actually care about (along with disposable fodder). And if they get a streaming service, they're given almost free reign.

If they are going to do a TV show that covers events in real time, they should focus on Pamela's story and how she got to Crystal Lake. 

or

They shouldn't bother with trying to put together a singular narrative and use 8 episodes to give us 8 new entries into the series that are spread through out the canon. Meaning, lets see what happen to Chris Higgins on the night she went missing and then lets see what happens after Uber crashes into Earth 2. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 9:38 PM, F134Ever86 said:

With the cancellation of the latest film and announcement of a childs play tv show, who wants jason on the small screen? I think it would be a great idea because the lore is too expansive for the big screen. Its a good opportunity to tell the origins of crytal lake and explain why jason cant die.  

the scream tv show wasnt all too bad and it would be fun to have a tv show for every major slasher character

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, bewareofbears said:

No, thanks. A Crystal Lake teen soap opera is a bad idea.

Thank goodness the F13 show for CW got cancelled. I wouldn't say yes or no to a series, rather that it's a faithful adaptation.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:40 AM, Dogmatic said:

They've tried twice in the last 15 years to get a show off the ground, and as of yet nothing. That should be your answer right there.

Netflix needs to invest in this.

In the past I've been sceptical that they could make it work. But looking at what they've done with TV shows recently I think there are talented writers out there that could pull it off.  Look what they've done with Westworld, a stunning show. Whether a Friday the 13th show would pull in the talent in terms of writers, directors and actors though, I have my doubts.

The biggest hurdle would be how to fill the long stretches of running time in between the stalking and killing. A chunk of that could be used to create sympathetic characters, but what would the detail be exactly?

I think a modern day setting with someone exploring the killings around the Lake in the early 80s (covered in the first four films) that the town tried to cover up could be good ... you could get lots of Easter eggs in there, and even some cameos from the stars of those films.

The best way to do it would be to make an anthology series. Have each season or even every three or four episodes be about a different cast of characters. Maybe have an ongoing meta-narrative about the town of Crystal Lake in the background, with a few returning characters showing up here or there.

I would love to have stuff like the story of Crazy Ralph, the camp showing up in different seasons like winter or fall, the story of Mrs. Voorhees's first rampage, or stuff like that. Kinda like how the F13 comic series have been.

Its possible to pull this off. However I bet it turns out more like Jason Voorhees appearing on Degrassi or Dawson's Creek.

An ongoing tv series, that could potentially go on as long as the ratings are up? No, I don't think that would be a viable idea, because you'll end up with either a really diluted product or something that's going to have to jump the shark real quick to keep people coming back every week. But a mini-series with a particular story to tell, something with a defined beginning-middle-end, a specific number of episodes to do it in, and a careful balance between character development and gory kills? Yeah, I'd definitely be up for that!

Oh man, I was so mad. Back in the day when they announced a Friday the 13th tv series. THEN it turns out to be a Jasonless F13. I was as mad and as disappointed as this no new content ordeal.

Here is an interesting question....could a successful F13 tv series be made 100% from Jason's perspective? I don't mean from first person perspective, it would be shot in third person and rotating shots to see all of Jason and those Voorhees perfect eyes, but the camera would basically always be following Jason?

Doable?

Or even multi character focus, as long as Jason gets the most focus?

On 5/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, bewareofbears said:

Yep.  I think we'd be safer with a new film.  A tv show?  20 years ago I'd be excited by the idea.  Today the idea just terrifies me.

10 hours ago, zmccain said:
  On 5/12/2018 at 11:54 AM, bewareofbears said:

Agreed, which is why I am glad the CW did not pick it up. Starz or another network would have to pick it up to allow gore, nudity , and language, because it seems only pay per view networks would be the only ones willing to show horror without censorship.

I honestly want to see just Jason hacking and slashing and being him....I don't want no teen drama or different story bs.