Grammar  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Does bad grammar on the forums bother you?

I've noticed a number of "grammar police" on the forum. Feel free to throw in your two cents about grammar.

Indifferent. It bothers me a little bit because I've had a 20,000 word thesis published and I write academically, but not everyone else does. What bothers me is when people leave letters out of already short words, like 'what' is 'wot'. Is it so hard to put the H and A in considering you're already writing the word? Lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That annoys me too @Kodiak

@Fair Play

Grammar isn't a huge deal, but I like to at least be able to understand what the other person is saying. Those paragraph long run on sentences get ridiculous sometimes lol

11 hours ago, Truth said:

That annoys me too @Kodiak

@Fair Play

Grammar isn't a huge deal, but I like to at least be able to understand what the other person is saying. Those paragraph long run on sentences get ridiculous sometimes lol

I've never been a fan of run-on sentences. I do look past the homophones, as people are human and cannot be expected to have perfect grammar.

@Kodiak

Would you happen to have a link to your published thesis?

15 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

Grammars are to be dipped in milk.

Chocolate covered graham crackers are my favorite to dip in milk. Oreo cookies would be my second favorite.

11 hours ago, Fair Play said:

@Kodiak

Would you happen to have a link to your published thesis?

If I did, I'd rather not share it publicly :) It contains my name and the institute at which I studied, so it kinda narrows down who I am to only a few people. I don't like sharing information about myself online because people try to dox with that shit. Plus last time I saw it, it had the words 'RESTRICTED' printed on the front page. It contained sensitive information about where I studied at (an MOD academy partnered with the university) and I'm not sure if it has been modified since as it was part 1 of 3. It was an investigation into the effects of barrel length, choke and cartridge composition on shotgun spread and the other two parts of the study were/are currently being done by other students. 

Nope! I have bad grammar but use it to where it’s not all that noticeable! It never bothered me to read someone’s bad grammar as well.

6 hours ago, Kodiak said:

If I did, I'd rather not share it publicly :) It contains my name and the institute at which I studied, so it kinda narrows down who I am to only a few people.

I always figured your name was Cody Ack.

• Haha 1

I have my limits with bad grammar. If you're arguing with me over something trivial, you better write legibly. Otherwise, I win.

On 5/4/2018 at 4:34 AM, Truth said:

Those paragraph long run on sentences get ridiculous sometimes

This is the thing that bothers me the most. The bad part about that is, some that do it regularly sometimes have a valid point. I'm just not willing to give myself a headache to try and decipher it.

I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes make typos and grammar mistakes. Usually as a result of just rushing through a post. When people continuously do it, it irks me, but I usually don't say much about it. The only exception there is when people are having a disagreement, and one of them pops off with, "Yeah? Well your stupid." I usually giggle a little and then point out the irony of the statement. 

I accidentally voted yes, but in reality, it doesn't bother me too much.

13 hours ago, Kodiak said:

If I did, I'd rather not share it publicly :) It contains my name and the institute at which I studied, so it kinda narrows down who I am to only a few people. I don't like sharing information about myself online because people try to dox with that shit. Plus last time I saw it, it had the words 'RESTRICTED' printed on the front page. It contained sensitive information about where I studied at (an MOD academy partnered with the university) and I'm not sure if it has been modified since as it was part 1 of 3. It was an investigation into the effects of barrel length, choke and cartridge composition on shotgun spread and the other two parts of the study were/are currently being done by other students. 

Holy hell, this would be bedtime reading for me.  That sounds more interesting than 99% of what I read on a daily basis, being an avid hunter--fun fact, I had a "visit" from HR at work on Friday over my self-made name plate at work that reads (Name Redacted) Firearms Enthusiast; Honk Kong Cavaliers.

Apparently, someone felt "unsafe".

On 5/5/2018 at 5:34 AM, Kodiak said:

I thought I'd ask, but no worries. I can relate to the desire to not put oneself out there publicly. It did sound like an intriguing piece of literature.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:52 PM, Flyin_J said:

I have my limits with bad grammar. If you're arguing with me over something trivial, you better write legibly. Otherwise, I win.

I agree with your principals. If one can't argue with decent grammar, I wouldn't take them seriously either.

• Like 1