megaweenieman

So all the DBD comparisons/dev competition

Been playing DBD for about a week. Not sure why people refer to this game as being more organic in terms of development/playability. Here are just a few things I’ve been encountering this week:

1. If the killer quits, the match is over and nothing the survivors did count. Similar to F13, the only difference being that if you’re a survivor in DBD and you rage quit, the game goes on (and the killer gets survivor rage quit points).

2. Teabagging is just as much of a problem in DBD as it is in F13.

3. While F13 currently has loads of bugs, there are some I’ve experienced in DBD including killer hitting survivors through walls, having the survivors body remain on your shoulder when you pick up the survivor and they rage quit, as well as when you are about to put a survivor on a hook to “sacrifice” them, if another survivor stands in your way the game won’t let you perform the action (also giving the survivor you’re carrying more time to “wiggle” out or your grip.

4. Graphically not impressive at all. DBD has some graphics aspects done well and some not so well along with F13.

5. Movement of player is not that great either, you can get stuck in a corner running away due to the camera angle and people do the whole jumping to one side then another of barrier to try to juke you, similar to the going in and out and in and out of windows on F13. 

I don’t think either game is superior to the other honestly!

• Thanks 3

DBD continues to be a source of confusion to me. Nevermind my avid Friday fandom. As a lifelong gamer I cannot fathom why anyone chooses DBD over Friday the 13th. I even saw someone in this forum recently say something to the effect of "Friday has no variety/replay value compared to DBD."

MIND. BLOWN.

Who woulda thought a game about repairing generators could be so much fun. I guess I'm missing something.

4 minutes ago, SteveChristy said:

DBD continues to be a source of confusion to me. Nevermind my avid Friday fandom. As a lifelong gamer I cannot fathom why anyone chooses DBD over Friday the 13th. I even saw someone in this forum recently say something to the effect of "Friday has no variety/replay value compared to DBD."

MIND. BLOWN.

Who woulda thought a game about repairing generators could be so much fun. I guess I'm missing something.

People really just dumber in general nowadays. Most of the more popular games are pretty shallow and don't require much skill. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I still don't understand why people even bother comparing these games. Other than both of them being multiplayer horror survival games where one player is the killer and the rest are survivors, they are literally nothing alike, at all.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JasonLives86 said:

I still don't understand why people even bother comparing these games. Other than both of them being multiplayer horror survival games where one player is the killer and the rest are survivors, they are literally nothing alike, at all.

This is my thought as well. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JasonLives86 said:

Survivors = Both

Famed Killers = Both

Repairing to Escape = Both

Perks = Both (Except Jason doesn’t get any)

Juking = Both 

Clothing Customization = Both

I can see why they are compared. They each have their own uniqueness tho, like character levels to unlock perks in DBD, and variety of escaping in Friday. On top of voice on Friday, and various kills on Friday. I prefer Friday far more, but the games are “similar” to their core.

• Like 1

I am just posting about it because a lot of people do compare them (like some people compar COD vs BF) but more importantly because of the smartass remark a DBD dev said that someone posted a couple days ago on this forum, and it made me curious to finally try it

1 minute ago, AdmiralJT said:

People really just dumber in general nowadays. Most of the more popular games are pretty shallow and don't require much skill. 

I would argue that Dead by Daylight requires significantly more skill than F13. The problem with many of you F13 fanboys is that you are suffering from the big-fish-little-pond effect. You are playing a game with a minuscule player base and completely overestimate your skill level as a result. Dead by Daylight is a competitive game that offers a robust ranking system with a player base 20 times the size of F13's. You paper champions would fold under the pressure of real competition and probably seek out another small pond to dominate rather than try to improve.

If you haven't unlocked the meta perks in Dead by Daylight and put in a significant amount of play time, you have no business commenting on it. I challenge anyone here to reach Rank 1 in Dead by Daylight under the current system. It's a remarkably challenging and rewarding experience. This is coming from someone who put 774 hours into F13.

The only skill required to play Friday the 13th: The Game is patience. Patience to deal with all of the bugs, glitches, hacks, cheaters, teamers, exploiters, quitters and trolls. Keep dominating those hardcore casuals boys! It sure beats being a little fish.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, gyaaft said:

I would argue that Dead by Daylight requires significantly more skill than F13. The problem with many of you F13 fanboys is that you are suffering from the big-fish-little-pond effect. You are playing a game with a minuscule player base and completely overestimate your skill level as a result. Dead by Daylight is a competitive game that offers a robust ranking system with a player base 20 times the size of F13's. You paper champions would fold under the pressure of real competition and probably seek out another small pond to dominate rather than try to improve.

If you haven't unlocked the meta perks in Dead by Daylight and put in a significant amount of play time, you have no business commenting on it. I challenge anyone here to reach Rank 1 in Dead by Daylight under the current system. It's a remarkably challenging and rewarding experience. This is coming from someone who put 774 hours into F13.

The only skill required to play Friday the 13th: The Game is patience. Patience to deal with all of the bugs, glitches, hacks, cheaters, teamers, exploiters, quitters and trolls. Keep dominating those hardcore casuals boys! It sure beats being a little fish.

Never said Friday the 13th wasn't shallow also.

I'm not interested in how complex the leveling system is, the gameplay is repetitive. It's always the same generators and the same hooks, and if your the last one alive it's the same hatch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, thrawn3054 said:

Yes repairing generators,  the ultimate test of ones skills.

This coming from a keyboard warrior who probably hasn't even played the game, let alone accomplished anything meaningful in it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, megaweenieman said:

Been playing DBD for about a week. Not sure why people refer to this game as being more organic in terms of development/playability. Here are just a few things I’ve been encountering this week:

1. If the killer quits, the match is over and nothing the survivors did count. Similar to F13, the only difference being that if you’re a survivor in DBD and you rage quit, the game goes on (and the killer gets survivor rage quit points).

2. Teabagging is just as much of a problem in DBD as it is in F13.

3. While F13 currently has loads of bugs, there are some I’ve experienced in DBD including killer hitting survivors through walls, having the survivors body remain on your shoulder when you pick up the survivor and they rage quit, as well as when you are about to put a survivor on a hook to “sacrifice” them, if another survivor stands in your way the game won’t let you perform the action (also giving the survivor you’re carrying more time to “wiggle” out or your grip.

4. Graphically not impressive at all. DBD has some graphics aspects done well and some not so well along with F13.

5. Movement of player is not that great either, you can get stuck in a corner running away due to the camera angle and people do the whole jumping to one side then another of barrier to try to juke you, similar to the going in and out and in and out of windows on F13. 

I don’t think either game is superior to the other honestly!

If you use the search button you will find a thread already created by @Tattooey about certain things DBD does better and could help improve this game. His list was quite extensive.

35 minutes ago, megaweenieman said:

I am just posting about it because a lot of people do compare them (like some people compar COD vs BF) but more importantly because of the smartass remark a DBD dev said that someone posted a couple days ago on this forum, and it made me curious to finally try it

1. The person that made that quote is a mouthy prick, no need to throw shade when you're on top, sign of a poor winner.

2. They are unfortunately not wrong, the F13 devs need to really step up their game. 

24 minutes ago, gyaaft said:

Didn't think it was possible to fellate a video game, then I saw this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

I’m really trying to like F13 more, but the bugs and glitches aren’t helping. 

-Host quits, players are still given BP

-You don’t have to wait for XP if you die early, just get BP and go. 

-Better planning

Surely DBD lacks cinematic kills, but nothing’s worse than seeing a survivor moried. More unique killers and abilities too, which I find better than 1 killer. Not to mention, all survivors are the same. 

37 minutes ago, R.J MacReady said:

Didn't think it was possible to fellate a video game, then I saw this post.

I'll be the first to say that F13 has more potential for a variety of reasons, but at the present moment it's unfulfilled. The reason I've invested almost 500 hours into DbD is to better understand why they are so successful in comparison to F13. This way I can use that knowledge to help better this game. It bothers me when people discredit Dead by Daylight when they haven't invested any significant time into it.

When you come in here after your 11 hours of playtime and give your professional assessment, how does that help anyone? These knuckleheads that spout off "hooks and generators" and "killers that don't kill" have nothing to offer. The fact of the matter is this, that game is kicking our ass and with good reason. I am willing to invest my time to understand why.

Pro Tip: Come back here after you've invested 500 hours into Dead by Daylight and reached Rank 1. Then give us your professional assessment.

I've put quite a lot of time into Friday and a decent amount of time into Dead by Daylight and I enjoy both games. I think I have a preference for Friday the 13th because of it's charm, gameplay style, and my love of the film series.

My biggest problem with Dead by Daylight is the massive balancing issues it has. The game is so tipped in the survivor's favor that killer is virtually unplayable without using meta perks, killers, and add-ons. The looping and pallet mechanics are absolutely silly and unwarranted and are stupidly survivor sided. That being said, I've always found the power role to be more fascinating and interesting and managed to climb to rank 5 killer.

The reason why I'm giving it a break for the moment is the stress and the unsatisfying nature of the gameplay just drove me nuts. It didn't matter if I 4k'd against a SFW team with flashlights and decisive strike, the next team I fought would be a SWF team with decisive strike. It gave me more stress than Dark Souls, and that is a feat not matched by many games. Until they fix the balance, I'll sit back and play Friday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gyaaft said:

I'll be the first to say that F13 has more potential for a variety of reasons, but at the present moment it's unfulfilled. The reason I've invested almost 500 hours into DbD is to better understand why they are so successful in comparison to F13. This way I can use that knowledge to help better this game. It bothers me when people discredit Dead by Daylight when they haven't invested any significant time into it.

When you come in here after your 11 hours of playtime and give your professional assessment, how does that help anyone? These knuckleheads that spout off "hooks and generators" and "killers that don't kill" have nothing to offer. The fact of the matter is this, that game is kicking our ass and with good reason. I willing to invest my time to understand why.

Pro Tip: Come back here after you've invested 500 hours into Dead by Daylight and reached Rank 1. Then give us your professional assessment.

Gyaaft I understand man I really do, but those folks aren't going to change their minds they are too entrenched in one camp arguing with them online isn't going to make them change. I'd also like to point out they are entitled to their opinions, they don't have to invest a lot of time with something to decide if they like it or not, despite how obnoxiously they vocalize it on here. 

just enjoy both games and if you like one more than the other good, then don't let anybody ruin your enjoyment just ignore them.

9 minutes ago, The_Gray_Ghost_ said:

Gyaaft I understand man I really do, but those folks aren't going to change their minds they are too entrenched in one camp arguing with them online isn't going to make them change. I'd also like to point out they are entitled to their opinions, they don't have to invest a lot of time with something to decide if they like it or not, despite how obnoxiously they vocalize it on here. 

just enjoy both games and if you like one more than the other good, then don't let anybody ruin your enjoyment just ignore them.

Well put. I was actually going to put my 2 cents in. I do agree that you should spend a decent amount of time playing a game to explore everything it has to offer in order to develop an opinion on it, and determine whether you like it or not. You don't have to play it non stop 24/7, unlock everything, and become a rank 1 pro, just to simply determine if you like it or not. And for the record, this is coming from a guy who has been playing Dead by daylight and F13 for nearly a year. I'm nowhere near being a rank 1 in Dead by daylight, but does that mean I can't have a valid opinion about it? No, of course not. That's like saying, I have to eat 5 bowls of a soup I've never tried before...just to see if I like it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JasonLives86 said:

Well put. I was actually going to put my 2 cents in. I do agree that you should spend a decent amount of time playing a game to explore everything it has to offer in order to develop an opinion on it, and determine whether you like it or not. You don't have to play it non stop 24/7, unlock everything, and become a rank 1 pro, just to simply determine if you like it or not. And for the record, this is coming from a guy who has been playing Dead by daylight and F13 for nearly a year. I'm nowhere near being a rank 1 in Dead by daylight, but does that mean I can't have a valid opinion about it? No, of course not.

Being Rank 1 is obviously an exaggeration. People are welcome to have their own opinions. I just find that very few people on this forum have any significant time invested into both games and therefore their opinions are baseless. Simple as that.

2 hours ago, JasonLives86 said:

I would have to agree with this, I just don't see any similarity between the two if you scratch below the surface. At their core they're very different. 

I haven't even played Dead by Daylight, just watched gameplay and read reviews. It looks like it could be fun but I do see it as a more competitive game that would require a time investment I just can't make. Maybe somewhere down the road but it's just not in the cards right now. 

I've always respected DbD for the game that it is. It does a lot of things better than F13. But like @gyaaft said, unless you've put in the work and unlocked the meta perks, you've only scratched the surface and don't really have a proper basis for commenting.

I probably have about 60-80 hours on DbD...I feel like my survivors and killers are extremely bare and I struggle because of it. But I still had plenty of matches where I got the most points with my 1-2 lowly perks compared to experienced survivors with all purple perks and stuff you can tell is valuable to have, or Killer rounds where I've actually sacrificed 3-4 survivors. Earning new and useful perks in that game really IS a rewarding and fun experience. Leveling up in that game actually means something.

It also does the hide and seek game so much better than F13. It's thrilling to be chased and actually have the ability to duck around a corner and evade the killer. Jason's Sense ability ruins any and all stealth play you might want to have in F13. Hiding is only useful in very specific scenarios.

But at the end of the day, I still prefer F13's gameplay when it isn't a glitchy mess. A bug-free game of F13 with smart players would be incredible. The game can really shine when you see the right people playing it together. It's just a shame when the game breaks and ruins the fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here is my unbiased opinion on both...

1. F13 is far better graphically

2. DBD has far less glitches and bugs

3. Both have similar playstyles except that fact that stealth actually matters in DBD opposed to F13.

4. Characters are about the same amount of uniqueness in both but I’d give the edge to F13. I do however like that they gave each character a different voice when getting downed. Meg doesn’t have Claudette’s voice unlike how on F13 all the girls kill animations sound like AJ’s voice.

5. DBD’s presitge system is FAR better in terms of having something to do since you always buy something yet in F13 you get to Level 150 and roll perks and you’ve got nothing left to do

6. F13 has more kill varieties (obviously)

7. Both are similar due to being asymmetrical horror multiplayer

8. DBD is more competitive while F13 is more casual

Both have ups and downs, don’t bash one game to uplift another game.

• Like 1