hokiehi

Tips for catching a looping counselor

I'm fairly new to the game. I was playing the other night as Jason and cleared the map, but there was a high rated Vanessa basically running circles around rooms in a cabin and this lasted for 4-5 minutes. I eventually killed them when they started trying to take hits at me "ran out of stamina possibly?" but was curious if there was any way to play against this? It was in a cabin so there was no way of setting a trap. almost impossible to hit them with a throwing knife because of the cabin walls. I tried shift but honestly didn't help much. Like i said i eventually got them, but it seems kind of silly for someone to be able to do this for that long. 

I've found you can bait them into coming to you by shifting into something. For example if they are circling a table shift into the table and leave shift on till they come to you.

• Like 4

I personally don't even try that hard until i get stalk.   Pre Stalk to me is just fluff time..break windows or windows, herd counselors a certain direction, set up traps..

Stalk is basically key to catch counselors that are trying to get away.  

Someone looping.  Leave em..   Come back 30 seconds later in stalk and just watch them. Take your time and snag em, use shift if you got them lined up.  Slash/throwing knife to make them slower.

31 minutes ago, hokiehi said:

I'm fairly new to the game. I was playing the other night as Jason and cleared the map, but there was a high rated Vanessa basically running circles around rooms in a cabin and this lasted for 4-5 minutes. I eventually killed them when they started trying to take hits at me "ran out of stamina possibly?" but was curious if there was any way to play against this? It was in a cabin so there was no way of setting a trap. almost impossible to hit them with a throwing knife because of the cabin walls. I tried shift but honestly didn't help much. Like i said i eventually got them, but it seems kind of silly for someone to be able to do this for that long. 

There are a few things you can do.

Try morphing outside then stalk+shift back into the room. This can give you a better angle to grab them.

Leave and collect knives. They won't stay around if they run out of sprays and you're still tagging them with knives. They might even leave that cabin while your gone, giving you a chance to catch them in the open.

My personal favourite is to play dead. Wait till they stun you and do not move. Do not even look around. Keep the camera on them and remain still. %85 of the time they will believe your glitched and come to get a free hit. As soon as they're in range grab them. If they have a knife they'll get away, but that's usually enough to drive them out of the cabin.

I've shared this before but it works more often than it doesn't. Counselors in general aren't that smart.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

I personally don't even try that hard until i get stalk.   Pre Stalk to me is just fluff time..break windows or windows, herd counselors a certain direction, set up traps..

Stalk is basically key to catch counselors that are trying to get away.  

Someone looping.  Leave em..   Come back 30 seconds later in stalk and just watch them. Take your time and snag em, use shift if you got them lined up.  Slash/throwing knife to make them slower.

You're getting wiser, Hu.

This is really all you need to know, @hokiehi

• Thanks 1

Trick them into jumping out a window.

Then you can shift and grab them.

Use your throwing knives to the best of your ability.

6 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

Try morphing outside then stalk+shift back into the room. This can give you a better angle to grab them.

Leave and collect knives. They won't stay around if they run out of sprays and you're still tagging them with knives. They might even leave that cabin while your gone, giving you a chance to catch them in the open.

My personal favourite is to play dead. Wait till they stun you and do not move. Do not even look around. Keep the camera on them and remain still. %85 of the time they will believe your glitched and come to get a free hit. As soon as they're in range grab them. If they have a knife they'll get away, but that's usually enough to drive them out of the cabin.

I've shared this before but it works more often than it doesn't. Counselors in general aren't that smart.

Those Counselors, are not very smart. They take the bait, and for that they deserve to die. 

7 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

I've found you can bait them into coming to you by shifting into something. For example if they are circling a table shift into the table and leave shift on till they come to you.

Even if they don't come to you,  they'll still reveal their escape strategy: climbing out a window/out the door/down the hallway. Then you just remember this next time. 

5 minutes ago, Dead Meme said:

Those Counselors, are not very smart. They take the bait, and for that they deserve to die. 

The majority of counselors are not very smart. It takes very little to outwit them most of the time. The easiest way to do it is do something unexpected.

3 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

The majority of counselors are not very smart. 

Yeah, I guess you're right about that. 

1) Pick Jason 8

2) Trap Fuse Box and Destroy All Doors around any cabins near by.  Ignore Counselors for now.

3) Get Shift then Stalk, profit.

If the counselors see you coming, you're doing it wrong.

Destroy ALL windows. You have to make those players pay for using a window every time. Killing the power helps to raise fear. Fear reduces stamina recharge. When a counselor is going through a window hit them with a knife if they don't jump through it. It will keep them from crawling through it. Then hit them with a knife on the other side. You have to keep those throwing knives stocked. And if you get close enough try a slash or two. The idea is to make the enemy pay for looping you around. If your hear a trap getting set make sure to walk around it or Shift across it. I don't know how many times a counselor has got themselves trying to run out the door by the trap they set. Part 2 Jason is pretty solid for trapping loopers. Break and trap a window or two while giving chase. If you knock those kids into limping around and they don't have a health spray it's goodnight sister. Even if they have a pocket knife.

• Thanks 1

Other tips:

If they are looping around a table you shift toward the table stayiing still in the same position they eventually will run toward you.
If they are looping goin outside the windows and they have sprays you have to bait them a bit. Observe how they loop the houses and then shift accordingly, for example if you see that they go outside a window and stay near there outside ready to jump inside again in case you shift or morph outside,  you just shift toward the exit of the cabin but while shifting you turn back and stay inside and go next to the window. They will jump it and you will find a very sweet gift in front of you. :)

Set a bear trap or 2 at cabin entrance doors or windows. As a counselor I've run circles around Jason using cabins & obstacles. Believe it or not, I tend to run into traps since there is so much running through my mind with shift predictions and keeping an eye on him (watching the ground I step on is the last thing on my mind)

I had a hacking Chad looping around a bookshelf.

He was immune to throwing knives and had 3 pocket knives and 2 med sprays, along with an unbreakable wrench that ALWAYS caused a stun, and attack speed that counselors don't have. To top it off, he had a hacked halloween pajama outfit on him (black with orange ghosts).

After I had done my trapping and such, I killed two counselors, but this dude was ticking me off. So, I chased him. This was amusing as the other players (and him) thought I'd ONLY go after him, but in my anger, I would actually shift over to other counselors who were watching and kill them. I had about 4 dead when the cops arrived and snagged one more. The chad wanted to harass me longer, so I let the tommy and one other escape via the cops, but I kept on the chad. He ran into a cabin and decided to circle a bookcase. As I said, immune to knives, so that wasn't an option. And the close quarters meant Part 8's Axe swing was a no go.

So what did I do? I just power walked after him.

If you just keep going, they WILL stumble due to fear and they WILL eventually drain their stamina and have to take a swing at you to replenish it. But remember what I said about Part 8's swing? Well I'd grabbed him three times already and slashed him until limping, but he got away every time because of knives and med sprays. I kept chasing him, he stumbled, spun around to hit me, and he hit the shelf instead. 

That was the most satisfying Head-Punch I've done the entire time I played this game.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, AdmiralJT said:

hahahahahahahahahaha amazing

@AdmiralJT

Nicely done. I’ve pulled it off a few times myself- they think I’ve glitched or given up. I also liked baiting stunners in by going into combat stance and then just grabbing them as they approach.

Watching that video, Deb stumbles but Jason still can’t grab her. I’m wondering if the new grab animation, with Jason lunging forward, will help in those sorts of scenarios.

1 hour ago, JayDoesGames said:

Good luck catching a no fear looping jenny. Me and my friend do it all the time. Now that's a challenge.

And they say Jenny Myers is useless. Until they took a ride on the Jenny go round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

Watching that video, Deb stumbles but Jason still can’t grab her. I’m wondering if the new grab animation, with Jason lunging forward, will help in those sorts of scenarios.

I'm not convinced that that new animation is gonna do much in the way for how grab works. It looks cool when the counselor is standing still, but we haven't seen what it looks like when chasing someone. 

• Like 1

There is a lot of great advice in here.  I want to add sometimes it's best not to knock down walls right away, when in Rage Mode.  It makes it easier for cunning counselors to loop early on.  The flip side is it makes it harder for you to shift inside & it's easier to lose sight of them, but the trade off of them burning more stamina by having to go around walls is worth it (IMO).      

On 5/2/2018 at 11:43 AM, AdmiralJT said:

Pretty cool and funny video, your final strategy was very smart. But look, did you notice how you wasted 2 minutes with a single counselor?  And you already let 4 of them escape in a car. That wasn't a good Jason match by any means, sorry.

My advice while dealing with loopers: let them run like idiots alone and look for other counselors to kill. I'd say 95% of the loopers won't fix anything, won't focus in any objective (car, boat, phone), so you rather go kill the counselors who are trying to fix objectives first and deal with the loopers later on.

And when the time comes and you have to kill the loopers, do as a lot of people say: break a lot of windows, doors, generators and try to catch them with shift (if they go outside and get caught in open field at some point) or stalk + shift (inside houses).

18 minutes ago, AJViolet said:

Pretty cool and funny video, your final strategy was very smart. But look, did you notice how you wasted 2 minutes with a single counselor?  And you already let 4 of them escape in a car. That wasn't a good Jason match by any means, sorry.

Yeah I had 4 get away in the 4 seater at Crystal lake small, it happens. 

What does it matter how much time you spend with a counselor when there's only 2 left with 15 minutes on the clock?

Unless you're flat out trash, don't fake glitch; actual glitches happen often enough that there needs to be a sort of gentleman's understanding, or else Jason would spend 1/3 of his matches stuck outside houses full of counselors with doors he couldn't bust through. Use skill, not the standardly occurring issue of battle-locked Jason.