Sign in to follow this  
BeautyNumber2

Is Tunneling the New Trolling?

On 1/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, Fair Play said:

Taking a car out of camp by oneself, even though others helped and there were open seats in said car. (If it's for the "Chad Is a D***" accomplishment, that is understandable. If the same person does it match after match, that's a different story)

I got that achievement by accident. Had fixed the boat and was waiting for any of the other players to come and fetch a ride, but it didn't look like anyone was interested.                                                      But back to tunneling. It's only a problem when it only happens to you. Kind of like finding a player at the start of a match and hear them complain about always being the first to die. 

6 hours ago, aurllcooljay said:

I got that achievement by accident. Had fixed the boat and was waiting for any of the other players to come and fetch a ride, but it didn't look like anyone was interested.                                                      But back to tunneling. It's only a problem when it only happens to you. Kind of like finding a player at the start of a match and hear them complain about always being the first to die. 

If it happens match after match, I'd agree it might be a problem. But the one who is tunneled should ask, "What have I done to lead to someone tunneling just me?"

Tunneling is normally bad strategy very early in the round. Your time is much better spent laying traps and securing objectives than it is chasing the bunny girl you found 10 seconds into the match. Chasing me might get you a kill, but how much have my teammates accomplished that you may have been able to prevent if you hadn't focused exclusively on me?

If you steal the sweater, that's a different story. Everything else gets abandoned until you are dead and no amount of flashing lights and dancing are going to get me to divert my attention until I've made you a corpse.

Sometimes the Jason is just focused. By focusing on one person, you exhaust their stamina, supplies and likely health. Personally, my kill order is as follows...

1.) Tommy Jarvis 
2.) Female Counselors (Highest priority is the one with my sweater if they got it)
3.) 5+ Repair counselors
4.) Everyone else

I would argue that tunneling is an intelligent way to play. Especially if you are chasing a high stamina character. It’s a bit unintelligent to spend a little time chasing someone, decreasing their stamina and resources just to morph away and let them regain stamina and find new weapons and supplies. I definitely tunnel as Jason because I can say first hand if I’m chasing Vanessa, who seemingly always has a pocketknife somehow, and maybe other things like spray and firecrackers. During a chase, these things will be used on me as Jason. I WANT to deplete those resources and I don’t want to give her another opportunity to stack back up. Of course there are times when I have to move on (phone box is being tinkerer with, I hear someone spilling gas, etc...) but yes, tunneling is a smart way to play. However, I do hate when it’s only happening because Jason is purposefully coming after you because the other players are his friends. That makes for a shitty session. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jdt827 said:

I would argue that tunneling is an intelligent way to play. Especially if you are chasing a high stamina character. It’s a bit unintelligent to spend a little time chasing someone, decreasing their stamina and resources just to morph away and let them regain stamina and find new weapons and supplies. I definitely tunnel as Jason because I can say first hand if I’m chasing Vanessa, who seemingly always has a pocketknife somehow, and maybe other things like spray and firecrackers. During a chase, these things will be used on me as Jason. I WANT to deplete those resources and I don’t want to give her another opportunity to stack back up. Of course there are times when I have to move on (phone box is being tinkerer with, I hear someone spilling gas, etc...) but yes, tunneling is a smart way to play. However, I do hate when it’s only happening because Jason is purposefully coming after you because the other players are his friends. That makes for a shitty session. 

Tunneling is definitely NOT a smart way to play before you have at least gained shift. You’re just wasting time.  I wouldn’t even really recommend it until rage kicks in or there is only one or two people left to kill. I give each counselor my undivided attention until my morph regenerates, and if I feel like I’m getting somewhere then I’ll keep at them. If it feels like a fruitless endeavor then I move on. The only other reason to stick around is if an objective is in danger. 

6 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

My kill order is.........

Everyone breathing. #1

And..........that about covers it. 

So right! No doubt, as long as that body is still living. I'm trying to remedy that. Don't care who it is.

FHere's the dilemma though: pretend the round just started. You go to the phone-box and lay traps, then start breaking doors/windows/power-boxes while waiting for Morph to recharge. When it does, you move on to one of the cars but as soon as you get there, the phone trap goes off. You race back over as fast as possible (if your on Pinehurst HAHA, have fun with that) and see a counselor off in the distance.

What do you do? If you leave, they might make the repair and call the cops. If you DON'T leave, the other counselors might manage to get the car started.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:19 AM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

FHere's the dilemma though: pretend the round just started. You go to the phone-box and lay traps, then start breaking doors/windows/power-boxes while waiting for Morph to recharge. When it does, you move on to one of the cars but as soon as you get there, the phone trap goes off. You race back over as fast as possible (if your on Pinehurst HAHA, have fun with that) and see a counselor off in the distance.

What do you do? If you leave, they might make the repair and call the cops. If you DON'T leave, the other counselors might manage to get the car started.

In this case there is nothing left to do but wait for your morph to refresh. Lay traps at the car, smash a few doors, then morph back to the phone house and shift after the counselor running away (after sensing for others near the phone house). Or, if they’re too far away for shift to be worth it, take the time to do a more thorough job of smashing doors and windows before morphing in their direction.

If it is Pinehurst I wouldn’t worry too much about the car getting started, particularly so soon in the match. Those parts are usually too scattered for quick repairs. 

If it's on Pinehurst, you have to use some situational awareness. Unless the phone house is at the very north of the map, it's extremely unlikely that a counselor has been able to find the fuse and get it to the phone house that quickly. Occam's Razor tells us that it is more likely said counselor is tanking the trap to clear it for later, and also to keep you preoccupied while parts are being put in the car/boat. 

Playing Jason well is about analyzing situations and predicting counselor behavior... and that only comes from experience. Sometimes it's right to tunnel. Sometimes it isn't. You'll only learn to differentiate that through trial and error.

The new trolling is simply playing Vanessa with stamina perks and running around a broken section of map. By broken section I mean infinite loops, Higgins staircase, the big tables, even some of the cabins if you break any walls. 

Playing as Savini or any slow Jason, you can’t speed walk and catch them. You can’t shift around accurately if the corners have uneven geometry, you get stuck or over shoot the grab at weird angles. The smaller and tighter the loop the more shift is useless. 

The Higgins stair case is by far the worst offending piece of geometry that you are forced to circle. You should be able to walk under it but can’t anymore, for whatever reason there’s an invisible hit box in there. 

@mattshotcha, not sure if you’re aware that the game has inadvertently added an infinite loop but I’d really like it to go away. I don’t particularly feel like I’ve been out played by the person exploiting infinite loops, I feel like the game has out played Jason. 

Fixes for infinite loops

1. Make Jason faster - this will mess up the balance but at this point the balance is shot. A slow increase over the length of the chase or just a straight buff.

2. Make fear actually do something

- add VHS static if they stay right near Jason or don’t break line of sight. 

- have Counselors have a chance to fall after being at max fear for too long. 

3. Give Jason the ability to always move at max speed. As a slow Jason why would I ever want to slow walk, his lumber is slow enough. 

(I’m tempted to remap my controller so it isn’t under R3 anymore, anyone else do this and find a good layout to use?)

2 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

The new trolling is simply playing Vanessa with stamina perks and running around a broken section of map. By broken section I mean infinite loops, Higgins staircase, the big tables, even some of the cabins if you break any walls. 

Playing as Savini or any slow Jason, you can’t speed walk and catch them. You can’t shift around accurately if the corners have uneven geometry, you get stuck or over shoot the grab at weird angles. The smaller and tighter the loop the more shift is useless. 

The Higgins stair case is by far the worst offending piece of geometry that you are forced to circle. You should be able to walk under it but can’t anymore, for whatever reason there’s an invisible hit box in there. 

@mattshotcha, not sure if you’re aware that the game has inadvertently added an infinite loop but I’d really like it to go away. I don’t particularly feel like I’ve been out played by the person exploiting infinite loops, I feel like the game has out played Jason. 

Fixes for infinite loops

1. Make Jason faster - this will mess up the balance but at this point the balance is shot. A slow increase over the length of the chase or just a straight buff.

3. Give Jason the ability to always move at max speed. As a slow Jason why would I ever want to slow walk, his lumber is slow enough. 

(I’m tempted to remap my controller so it isn’t under R3 anymore, anyone else do this and find a good layout to use?)

I’d like them to fix the problems with animation locks. If Jason can’t hit or grab somebody jumping out of a window or getting out of the car until the animation ends, then counselors shouldn’t be able to hit Jason mid animation sequence while he is grabbing a knife or destroying a power box. Fair is fair. 

I get tunneled quite a bit, but its for good reason. I try to make Jasons match hell. Tanking traps, hitting objectives and saving who ever I can. Jason's life is a lot easier when im dead. Has to make me dead first though, so can easily ruin his whole match anyways by chasing me the whole match while others get shit done. 😀

In a match with halfway decent counselors, dilemmas like these should happen from time to time. I go for whatever option leads to more kills.

23 hours ago, Shadesofjoe said:

Playing Jason well is about analyzing situations and predicting counselor behavior... and that only comes from experience. Sometimes it's right to tunnel. Sometimes it isn't. You'll only learn to differentiate that through trial and error.

This is some wisdom right here.

5 hours ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

I’d like them to fix the problems with animation locks. If Jason can’t hit or grab somebody jumping out of a window or getting out of the car until the animation ends, then counselors shouldn’t be able to hit Jason mid animation sequence while he is grabbing a knife or destroying a power box. Fair is fair. 

I have to agree with you on that one.

4 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I get tunneled quite a bit, but its for good reason. I try to make Jasons match hell. Tanking traps, hitting objectives and saving who ever I can. Jason's life is a lot easier when im dead. Has to make me dead first though, so can easily ruin his whole match anyways by chasing me the whole match while others get shit done. 😀

I like your mentality.

8 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

The Higgins stair case is by far the worst offending piece of geometry that you are forced to circle. You should be able to walk under it but can’t anymore, for whatever reason there’s an invisible hit box in there. . 

Fixes for infinite loops

The Higgins staircase is an extremely strong loop spot. I once saw a Vanessa loop Jason for about five minutes on that one spot.

I agree with all except the falling if in high fear for too long. It seems like decent idea but I think only counselors with composure between 1-5 would be susceptible to falling. Counselors with high composure take a while to get into high fear but takes them FOREVER to get back to a normal state. It would be weird to see Jenny and Mitch just flopping to the ground when Jason has morphed away due to their fear still being high. I just don’t know how that idea would work. Things such as how often they fall, how long they stay on the ground, how composure works, etc...would have to come into play.

47 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

The Higgins staircase is an extremely strong loop spot. I once saw a Vanessa loop Jason for about five minutes on that one spot.

I agree with all except the falling if in high fear for too long. It seems like decent idea but I think only counselors with composure between 1-5 would be susceptible to falling. Counselors with high composure take a while to get into high fear but takes them FOREVER to get back to a normal state. It would be weird to see Jenny and Mitch just flopping to the ground when Jason has morphed away due to their fear still being high. I just don’t know how that idea would work. Things such as how often they fall, how long they stay on the ground, how composure works, etc...would have to come into play.

I’d be fine with it only happening to composure 5 or below, slower Counselors can’t loop effectively.

8 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I’d be fine with it only happening to composure 5 or below, slower Counselors can’t loop effectively.

I don’t know about that, I’ve seen some pretty good Jenny/Victoria players who can endlessly loop and know when to stun to get stamina back, including myself. It’s not too hard. Of course it’ll be harder than with Tiffany or Vanessa but it’s not impossible especially if the player knows how to loop.