Sign in to follow this  
Nougat

Strength Affects Stun Duration

Test it for yourself. Using Buggzy and Jenny for the best example. Have Jason press his back up against a wall and stun him with a non-combat stance attack using a wrench with both Buggzy and Jenny. Use a stopwatch and time the stuns for yourself. Use a Jason with no type of changes to their stun resistance.

I always had a feeling this was the case, but always saw people on here preaching about how strength only helps with escaping grabs, getting out of traps and demasking Jason. Glad I could finally get around to testing it to be sure.

I have tested this myself too, but from what I recall, most counselors average 6-7s stun and actually the stun time does go down on consecutive hits for some reason (down to 5s actually). I am still looking into whether a counselor's Fear level (or perhaps weapon durability) is a factor on the duration of the stun. Anyway, Buggzy did indeed average higher than any single counselor, about 8.5s if I remember right. The impression I got is that strength might just have a very high threshold, where low-mid strength will not change stun time (or barely change) but high strength will provide meaningful difference. I'm going to do more tests on it soon for a conclusive result. I do know it has absolutely nothing to do with Luck, another stat which people have claimed influences stun time but none of my results have shown that (AJ vs Chad for example had same stun time, and both are low strength).

Anyway in Buggzy's case it still isn't any kind of saving grace for his stats, since I will take Luck over Strength any day. High Luck / High Str will never exist just as high mobility / high Repair will never exist either (although IMO they should).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nougat said:

Test it for yourself. Using Buggzy and Jenny for the best example. Have Jason press his back up against a wall and stun him with a non-combat stance attack using a wrench with both Buggzy and Jenny. Use a stopwatch and time the stuns for yourself. Use a Jason with no type of changes to their stun resistance.

I always had a feeling this was the case, but always saw people on here preaching about how strength only helps with escaping grabs, getting out of traps and demasking Jason. Glad I could finally get around to testing it to be sure.

Unfortunately Strength isn’t as viable as people make it to be and it isn’t comparable to the Luck stat

To make Strength actually affect combat they need to make it calculate stun chance so that characters like Buggzy get consistent stuns and not have the same frickin stun chance as Deborah like seriously?????

of course buff the Stealth stat first before they do that so that stealth characters can actually play stealthy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Gun needs to actually release a full breakdown of official statistics so we can stop speculating.

I still laugh at the Stealth description and the How to Play section lol

30 minutes ago, NekoJubei said:

I still laugh at the Stealth description and the How to Play section lol

Same. The whole in-game guide is a joke and some of the stat descriptions are just outright wrong. They're still from beta I believe so no wonder. 
I also don't think they will ever release a full official breakdown of stats, and the reason for that is because I know for a fact that withholding info from players has been nothing but deliberate on their behalf. At this point it doesn't make a difference but that's the truth of the matter.

1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

Same. The whole in-game guide is a joke and some of the stat descriptions are just outright wrong. They're still from beta I believe so no wonder. 
I also don't think they will ever release a full official breakdown of stats, and the reason for that is because I know for a fact that withholding info from players has been nothing but deliberate on their behalf. At this point it doesn't make a difference but that's the truth of the matter.

I'm holding out *hope* that along with the new engine will come new transparency on the game's mechanics and maybe even re-working of attributes and perks to make all of them more or less usable.  For as long as they've taken on everything, and as much patience as they have wringed out of their most loyal customers, I would hope that they are committed to improving every aspect of the game.

The weapon's stun stat and sucker punch are the only things that affect the chances of stunning Jason.

Strength does increase or decrease stun time, yes, but the difference seems to be negligible. For example, while Buggzy can stun Jason for longer than Jenny, it still doesn't give him enough time to do something like start the car in Jason's face - Jason will still have time to eat the stun and then pull them out of the car before they can start it. You still need someone to chain stun Jason if you hope to have enough time to start the car in his face. I'm not sure if Heavy Hitter (Epic) might create a long enough stun while using a bat. I doubt though. The difference is likely, again, negligible. 

3 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

If Gun/illfonic did release the info it would be very helpful. But I must say I rather enjoy reading about the research you do on the game. I find your posts, as well as other members who strive to teach the mechanics of the game, incredibly helpful and entertaining. I understand that you are very likely a busy person, but I find the sense of community that your posts inspire on here is a result of them not releasing the info. To cut the flowery language I’m basically say there is a silver lining out of the frustration. 

21 minutes ago, The_Gray_Ghost_ said:

If Gun/illfonic did release the info it would be very helpful. But I must say I rather enjoy reading about the research you do on the game. I find your posts, as well as other members who strive to teach the mechanics of the game, incredibly helpful and entertaining. I understand that you are very likely a busy person, but I find the sense of community that your posts inspire on here is a result of them not releasing the info. To cut the flowery language I’m basically say there is a silver lining out of the frustration. 

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words, I do find enjoyment in figuring out the game but at the same time there are very few people who are actually willing to learn IMO. Which results in an abundant amount of misinformation spread by those who are lacking in knowledge (which makes it 100 times harder to convince players otherwise). There would still be plenty of knowledge to share about the game even with info on mechanics instantly available in-game, personally I do not find it helpful that valuable info is being held back. But most of the game is already figured out now, so new players are certainly in a better position to learn now than day 1 players were.

Whenever discussing stun, I just follow Rydog's calculations from a while back. He did tests with the wrench, and discovered that pretty much everyone had roughly the same amount of chances to stun when using a vanilla build. They weren't perfect: he believed the baseball bat had a 100% chance to stun, but he also stated to take that section with a grain of salt, and it still didn't change how often people were stunning Jason with the wrench.

If Buggzy does indeed get extra stun duration, it might just be Buggzy's 10 strength gives him some sort of secret like how Jenny's 10 composure has the opportunity to go into "No Fear' territory. And even then, if it's just Buggzy this happens to, then he might just be a unique case.

5 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Gun needs to actually release a full breakdown of official statistics so we can stop speculating.

This would helpful.

@Tommy86 Just wanted to thank you for going out of your way to test this and many other aspects of the game. Same goes for anyone else who tests thing.

The time difference is not much. I tested again and timed it based on the very moment Jason begins to turn his head back towards the counselor. Jenny's stun up until that point lasted 4.00 seconds,while Buggzy's last 6.67 seconds. Of course the full time on those stuns lasts about 1 or 2 more second(s), but the easiest way to time it was waiting for Jason to begin to turn his head since that animation takes the same amount of time regardless of strength making the intitial stun last longer.

I have yet to test it with very counselor, since timing it multiple times to be sure about duration takes a while. I will also test if rage effects how long Jason is stunned. Fear does not affect it as far as I can tell, as I hit Jason with Buggzy with full fear and with no fear and they had the same exact stun duration. 

The last two things I will test is if Slugger inadvertantly makes stuns lasts longer, since it buffs damage output, which is a pseudo strength buff and if weapons with higher damage have linger stuns. IF Slugger does make stuns last longer by being an indirect strngth buff, then it would make sense that Heavy Hitter got nerfed. Imagine a 40% Heavy Hitter, a 20% Potent Ranger, and a 15% Slugger bat swing hitting you. The duration would be ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, Nougat said:

@Tommy86 Just wanted to thank you for going out of your way to test this and many other aspects of the game. Same goes for anyone else who tests thing.

No problem, happy to help. :)

It is a topic that needs some closure so I will put some more time towards it for a definite result.

The one that surprised me: how quickly you start the car is a luck based stat, not a repair based one.