I have been playing this game since the holidays and I have never been fan of the Shift ability, most specifically how vital it is to Jason and how annoying it is as a councillor.

As a councillor, Jason is able to shift from well outside the range where he emits the static effect, so he can just grab you out of shift without you ever getting any warning or way to avoid the kill other than being constantly sprinting in zig zag all game long.

As for Jason, what Jasons are the best? Usually Part 6 and Savini will come up top in most people's list with Part 9 still very good despite his low traps. This is maiinly due to how strong their Shift is. While Jasons with weak shifts, such as part 7, part 2 and, to a lesser extend, part 4, all struggle to catch up to councillor and will usually struggle much more.

I do admit, I am very salty, as I have just gotten shift grabbed quite a few games in a row, so this could be just be whining from recent failures, but I feel like Shiift should be reworked and the rest of Jason's kit buffed to compensate. I WANT a strong scary Jason, but shift just does not gives me the thrill of being chased by a crazed killed, instead, I die from a Shift started outside Static range and never really got to see him before hearing my character's head being punched off. 

What are your opinions on Jason's Shift ability? Fair and balance, or needs tweaking? If anyone has any tip on dealing with shifting Jasons, I would be happy to hear it.

Usually your camera will zoom in when he shifts at you even in stalk outside static range. Overall I think shift is pretty fair. Shift is arguably the most important ability and I don't see what you can change to make it less so.

• Thanks 1

Iearn how to juke Shift. @Alkavian has a perfect diagram for avoiding Shift and it's pinned. As far as the various Jasons go if you can juke Shift a Jason with a plus Shift will be at the mercy of all the weaknesses he has to make up for the plus Shift. I see Part 6 get the shit knocked out of him on a regular basis and his Morph is trash. The last time I played a Savini player he quit on us after I juked the hell out of his plus Shift. And part 9 is vulnerable to escape attempts if being juked. Just remember that a good Jason is attempting to get in front of you so breaking left or right and zigzaging is your best bet. Against parts 6, 9 and Savini I am never out in the open for very long. An indoor encounter with those Jason's turns their fast and long lasting Shift into a liability. These Jasons want you to be out in the open running around so they can use that advantage they pay for in weaknesses in everything else to great effect. 

11 hours ago, Max536 said:

If anyone has any tip on dealing with shifting Jasons, I would be happy to hear it.

Avoiding Shift-Grab.

There are a couple diagrams and articles on the 1st page of the playbook. The first bit starts after the links list. Hope it will help you.

~Alk

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Avoiding Shift-Grab.

There are a couple diagrams and articles on the 1st page of the playbook. The first bit starts after the links list. Hope it will help you.

~Alk

It already has, lol.

Knowing is half the battle.

• Thanks 1

He needs it, otherwise without it and grab itself, he has nothing.

Counselors are faster and have superior melee.

7 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

He needs it, otherwise without it and grab itself, he has nothing.

Counselors are faster and have superior melee.

That is the problem I have. Jason should not be so dependant on shift grabs, it feels boring to use and boring to play against. I am all for buffing the rest of his kit.

What if Shift was change to have a very short cooldown (like 1/3 of what it is now), but simply not allowing him to shift ON a councillor (like a 3-5 meter from them)? It would allow him to basically stick on them forever and force them to hide in a cabin or fight back?

16 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Iearn how to juke Shift.

I can juke shift if I see it coming or iif I get the static warning, but Jason can easily shfit out of range of the Static and his Music so you get no warning or even know Jason is nearby, that is what gets me.

2 hours ago, Max536 said:

That is the problem I have. Jason should not be so dependant on shift grabs, it feels boring to use and boring to play against. I am all for buffing the rest of his kit.

What if Shift was change to have a very short cooldown (like 1/3 of what it is now), but simply not allowing him to shift ON a councillor (like a 3-5 meter from them)? It would allow him to basically stick on them forever and force them to hide in a cabin or fight back?

Only shifting to 3-5 meters away from a counselor basically neuters Jason, even with infinite shift. It can take a long time to run a counselor to no stamina. I can run Jason back and forth across ANY map as it is now with Mitch... and he will be not much more then 5 meters behind me the entire way, sometimes a bit closer. There are many players in the game that are way better at evading Jason then I am. What you are suggesting is basically a free win for almost every counselor in almost every game.... unless they are new to the game, and how is that fair to the new players if they are the only ones dying? And remember, most of the players you see in game are far from new to the game.
   Jason actually needs a chance to catch the counselors who are all faster than he is. Throwing knives are an option... but they can take a long time to gather. In this time, players will be completing objectives without interference and gathering med sprays and pocket knives. Good players are very hard to hit with knives and if you cannot close the gap before they use a med spray, the knives were a complete waste of time.
   Stalk is also an option... but without the ability to shift in and grab a counselor, getting a kill with stalk is very situational. 
   Morph? In the nearly 400 games I have played as Jason I have only morphed within grab range of a counselor 3 times.
   I actually like a challenge. If this game was that easy to escape from Jason, there would be no challenge. You need a possibility of losing for there to be a challenge. Find someone who would want to play Jason after a nerf like that. There is no game if no one wants to play Jason... it would just be counselors having a dance party.
   Having no warning that Jason is shifting towards you is part of the game... the Jason player was probably using stalk. Shift grabs are part of the game, and Jason players miss with them often enough anyway. Dying is also part of the game, it happens to all of us a lot, even the best players die often enough... and that is the point... in a horror survival game... not everyone will survive in every game. Sometimes no one will survive... sometimes almost everyone will survive.... and sometimes the counselors will even kill Jason.
   The Jason player also needs a fair chance to be able to kill everyone in a lobby. Jason is supposed to be overpowered in this game, it is 7 vs 1 with a time limit. Expect him from any direction at any time, unless your team mates tell you he is chasing them on the other side of the map, then you are safe... for now. Communication is a huge help.
   If you keep close to friends, they may be able to save you from the shift grab, but not every time either.
   Keep practicing, you will get better at every aspect of the game.... but no matter how good you get, expect to die often as a counselor... but that does not mean we have to make it easy on Jason either.

The best Jason is a matter of opinion and how you want to play. I use part 4 and part 7 Jason... I have not played a different one in some time. The -traps gives only three traps and makes objective control a challenge. By only trapping the phone, I have got a lot of practice at chasing the car and am pretty good at it now... but no one is perfect and sometimes I miss. Sometimes I lose 4 counselors when I miss, but them's the breaks.

I’m pretty sure OP is talking about the deadly stalk-shift-grab. You can’t really avoid it that’s why it’s so deadly. One second your’re getting ready to close a door and the next you’re in Jason’s grab, no warning. Few people do it anymore as most amateur Jason’s spam abilities as they load instead of giving a real fright from strategy and surprise. 

10 hours ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

I’m pretty sure OP is talking about the deadly stalk-shift-grab. You can’t really avoid it that’s why it’s so deadly. One second your’re getting ready to close a door and the next you’re in Jason’s grab, no warning. Few people do it anymore as most amateur Jason’s spam abilities as they load instead of giving a real fright from strategy and surprise. 

That is what bothers me. Also, he does not even need Stalk. Shift from a long enough distance and there won't be any warning queue he is shifting.

58 minutes ago, Max536 said:

Also, he does not even need Stalk.

NO 

Stalk is my friend 

11 minutes ago, T.W said:

NO 

Stalk is my friend 

Hell ya..  The party don't start till Stalk kicks in.

1 minute ago, HuDawg said:

Hell ya..  The party don't start till Stalk kicks in.

That's right sometimes I wait till I get stalk before I start the hunt

Image result for let's get this party started movies gif

Shift is how Jason can keep up with fleeing counselors. If anything I would suggest Jason have tighter shift controls to allow for better maneuverability indoors. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 4:39 PM, Max536 said:

What if Shift was change to have a very short cooldown (like 1/3 of what it is now), but simply not allowing him to shift ON a councillor (like a 3-5 meter from them)

While I don't rely on shifting as much as I used to, I still find it to be one of the most fun aspects to Jason. Shift-grabs are the tastiest of treats......but Stalk-grabs are more nutritious :JasonPt7: 

If they were to change Shifting to how you would like it, they would have to make a lot of changes to the counselors too. It would effectively become a different game.

36 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

If anything I would suggest Jason have tighter shift controls to allow for better maneuverability indoors. 

He already does, if you're using a controller.

When you shift, hold R1/RB. Then, if you hold back on the left joystick he'll stay still or move side to side. Once you get a feel for it and incorporate the right joystick you'll be able to make tight and controlled turns.

18 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

While I don't rely on shifting as much as I used to, I still find it to be one of the most fun aspects to Jason. Shift-grabs are the tastiest of treats......but Stalk-grabs are more nutritious :JasonPt7: 

If they were to change Shifting to how you would like it, they would have to make a lot of changes to the counselors too. It would effectively become a different game.

When you shift, hold R1/RB. Then, if you hold back on the left joystick he'll stay still or move side to side. Once you get a feel for it and incorporate the right joystick you'll be able to make tight and controlled turns.

Didnt know that, thanks!:JasonPt9:

Yeah, I am against anything that nerfs Jason.

23 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

Thanks for that bit of control info. Did not know that one.