gyaaft

"We may be going through a rough patch with the Emblem System, but at least we're not Friday the 13th"

I came across an interesting post on the Dead by Daylight subreddit earlier. Tons of people commented so I figured I'd shared it here.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

:rolleyes: Remember "Dead by May?"

7c658d97956f1d4edafa7ba45ba73623.png

Their worst is our best.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is this only on PC or Xbox and PlayStation also?

1 minute ago, BigJay said:

Is this only on PC or Xbox and PlayStation also?

These are PC numbers. Can't say what consoles are like for sure. Could be less, the same..I doubt they do much more than 2000 daily, max.

It's a sad state of affairs. But they're not wrong. Their game gets the attention it needs. I don't love the gameplay. I much prefer F13's variety compared to DbD. But DbD also isn't buggy. It does what it's supposed to do quite well.

Things are gonna get even tougher with Last Year: The Nightmare out in the summer (PC only). If that game turns out to be good (and I've read good things out of PAX about it) this game is in big trouble.

Those plans Ben told us about better start to appear quick...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This game is better but what make the numbers so low is that the game is filled with game breaking mechanics. Dead By Daylight have very limited mechanics so there is less exploit and also trolls ,  Friday The 13th have a lot of it , myself i do it but only on Jason not on counselors and i do NOT BRING A 4 PLAYERS TEAM to troll.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

These are PC numbers. Can't say what consoles are like for sure. Could be less, the same..I doubt they do much more than 2000 daily, max.

It's a sad state of affairs. But they're not wrong. Their game gets the attention it needs. I don't love the gameplay. I much prefer F13's variety compared to DbD. But DbD also isn't buggy. It does what it's supposed to do quite well.

Things are gonna get even tougher with Last Year: The Nightmare out in the summer (PC only). If that game turns out to be good (and I've read good things out of PAX about it) this game is in big trouble.

Those plans Ben told us about better start to appear quick...

Thanks for the clarification. And I do agree with you on this game needing to fix all the bugs in the game so that the game can have a stable player count for years to come. What the developers need to do is they need to try and get out updates at a faster pace if they want to sustain a stable player count. I get that they are a smaller  team but I think more hands need to be on deck when releasing big updates like the upcoming engine update. 

I would love to play Dead By Daylight if their game had the same format as Friday the 13th. Each killer with maybe 6 special kills and 4 special abilities would be better gameplay. And if survivors had multiple ways to escape instead of just fixing generators and opening an exit. But their game does get more attention which is something this game lacks. 

Yeah, if Gun/Illfonic can't release a game changer by the time "Last Year:The Nightmare" comes out this summer, this game will die quicker than expected. I would buy that game if only I had a PC. If the developers of Last Year were to take the same route as Dead By Daylight and release the game on consoles, that would probably be the end of Friday the 13th if Last Year turns out to be good.

25 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

But DbD also isn't buggy. It does what it's supposed to do quite well.

I wouldn't go that far. DbD is the sort of game where major stuff like the trails survivors leave or the sounds they make will not display properly making it difficult to track them. These bugs, when they appear, take months to fix. It should be noted that only bugs that negatively impact killers take forever to fix. If the bug impacts survivors it gets fixed within a few days.

• Like 1

This game dosen't have to out perform Dead by Daylight to be a success. If the Dead by Daylight developers are talking about Friday they feel threatened. I own both games and I can tell from experience Dead by Daylight's community is worse than Friday's by a mile and the game is limited in what you can do in it even if it runs a little better.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

This game dosen't have to out perform Dead by Daylight to be a success.

No, but having more than 500, or hell, 400 players simultaneously worldwide would be pretty nice.

• Like 1

To be frank, if DbD actually went so far as to call out FF13th the Game, it's obvious they see this game as a legitimate threat. FF13th was the third highest selling PS4 game in 2017 for a reason.

FF13th isn't as polished, and does need some changes (e.g. Stealth/Strength being more relevant), but given enough time this game could become something special. It's already a reasonable fun game as it is now, so when the game engine update finally comes I have to wonder what kinds of changes we'll see in the future.

4 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

To be frank, if DbD actually went so far as to call out FF13th the Game, it's obvious they see this game as a legitimate threat. FF13th was the third highest selling PS4 game in 2017 for a reason.

FF13th isn't as polished, and does need some changes (e.g. Stealth/Strength being more relevant), but given enough time this game could become something special. It's already a reasonable fun game as it is now, so when the game engine update finally comes I have to wonder what kinds of changes we'll see in the future.

I think dbd choose pc to highlight because that might be the only platform they have more players. I think f13 has fewer on pc but more console players. 

5 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

if DbD actually went so far as to call out FF13th the Game

They didn't. I doubt the game is even on their radar. DbD is a PC game, and the console ports are half-assed, outsourced garbage meant to get some extra money. Still not as bad as Payday on consoles!

12 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

No, but having more than 500, or hell, 400 players simultaneously worldwide would be pretty nice.

I never have an issue getting into game on PS4. 

• Like 3

Sorry but the PC numbers are in no way a representation of who’s playing the game. This game was dominated by players on the PS4 console once it was released, the Black Friday sale, and Christmas sales. The PC version did not benefit from those as most fans, especially younger and more casual fans, are playing on PS4. 

5 minutes ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

Sorry but the PC numbers are in no way a representation of who’s playing the game. This game was dominated by players on the PS4 console once it was released, the Black Friday sale, and Christmas sales. The PC version did not benefit from those as most fans, especially younger and more casual fans, are playing on PS4. 

The reason it isn't doing well on PC is that it has to compete with DbD which is half the price and superior in the technical sense. The game never had to compete with DbD on consoles because DbD's console ports are half-assed and they launched after F13, instead of being able to dominate and claim the genre for a full year prior like the game managed on PC.

The devs also haven't actually been trying to compete with DbD on PC. Still no free weekend almost a year later, when DbD had one two months after releasing to celebrate the first post-launch killer added to the game, and has probably had around 8 free weekends by now.

23 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

Shots fired.

Shots fired, I repeat shots fired! All units proceed to the forums!

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

:rolleyes: Remember "Dead by May?"

7c658d97956f1d4edafa7ba45ba73623.png

Their worst is our best.

I remember those claims well. They’re cringeworthy now. :lol:

I think most of the blame lies with IllFonic. How IllFonic convinced Gun they had to update the engine to actually fix things is beyond me. Paranoia mode? Likely scrapped because IllFonic couldn’t make it work. Dedicated servers? IllFonic says they can’t add dedicated servers because of the engine they used.

I think Gun gets timelines from IllFonic, make a statement (like Uber Jason coming soon) and then IllFonic can’t live up to their part of the deal. Yes- I definitely think Gun makes terrible calls as well but IllFonic are the developers and what does and doesn’t happen is up to them.

I wonder if we’ll still have to redownload the whole game every time there’s an update.

Unrelated, 5,000 posts... :ph34r:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

One of the worst things they could have did was state that the update was still "weeks away", with no firm completion date in sight.

That's like telling people dying of heat stroke that you'll get them water in a few days.

We needed content or at least bug fixes fairly soon, (I mean how long have we had the damn rubberband car glitch?)

Instead we're looking at 4-5 months for an update. For a game/Devs that is/are already trying people's patience, that is simply too long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, R.J MacReady said:

We needed content or at least bug fixes fairly soon

These devs have never believed in patching even before all this engine update stuff. We get content updates, and those content updates may also have bug fixes. But there are never small updates meant purely to fix bugs. Probably the only multiplayer game I've ever played to be like this.

I imagine they will release the engine update on the 1 year anniversary. If they miss the mark on that, who knows (but that’s probably what they’re aiming for / stressing over :lol:). Everyone thought it would be the 13th of this month, but that proved wrong of course.

I do believe we won’t see dedicated for quite some time though, I think that is a good while away.

EDIT: Realistically though, my intuition tells me they could probably use 2-3 more months on this update considering all the changes that are being implemented. They are most likely rushing to release again which will again result in things being looked over, mistakes being made, more bugs...

Which would be ironic considering one of the reasons for the update is to patch out bugs that otherwise couldn’t be (or something along those lines). When I think of the Illfonic offices, I imagine they are always in a constant state of crisis. :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MichaelMemers said:

These devs have never believed in patching even before all this engine update stuff. We get content updates, and those content updates may also have bug fixes. But there are never small updates meant purely to fix bugs. Probably the only multiplayer game I've ever played to be like this.

Which is sad, the game would be better off for it, and the current player base would probably appreciate it more if they did little bi-weekly or monthly bug fixes. How hard is this?

1 hour ago, bewareofbears said:

@R.J MacReady

Even when it’s done they still have the console certification process and we all know how well that usually goes for them.

You ain't kidding. This is gonna be a long wait, and most people got tired of waiting a while ago.

• Haha 1