I know a lot of us have different opinions on movies/comics/actors/directors connected with our favorite masked killer...

So let's hear em!  ;)

Let us share in a healthy debate about what we liked or loved or disliked or utterly hated about the FT13th series! No bashing or actor/director shaming or nasty behavior, please!

Are you a Kane-Hodder-as-Jason fan? Or did you prefer another actor's portrayal?

Who was your favorite director? Why?

Got a favorite movie that stands out in the series? What makes it better than the rest?

I wanna know, folks! Let's discuss!! QzggWKI.jpg

NO idea why it is better than the rest, but it is... theres something about it... also the Hockey Mask just looks awesome!

favorite part would be Jason Lives with Part 7 and 8 being a close second and third. I see those three as kind of its own trilogy inside the franchise really.
Kane is definitly the best Jason there ever was, when he came to the franchise, he gave the character something that previous actors didnt. Jason suddenly had a personality and something really primal and predatory instead of only being "the killer" of the show. know what i mean?!

apart from the movies i didnt get into other media though, no comics, books or anything, its straight up the movies for me.

and I liked them all! Jason goes to Hell was just bonkers (not enough actual jason though), Jason X totally over the top in some kind of awesome ridicolousness, even the remake (well the Killer Cut of that one) was great i think. LEAST favorite would definitly be part 5 simply cause its just not Jason.

I have to agree about Part 5. While the cinematography was alright and the effects were good for it's time period, it just wasn't Jason! And even early on in the movie you could easily tell something just felt off.

Kane is definitely the top Jason in my book, followed closely by Derek Mears. I think he followed really closely in Kane's footsteps for the reboot and brought that same vicious spark to the character.

I also really have to give props to Ken Kirzinger, though. I mean, for what it was, FvJ was good. Were there some things that could have been much better? Absolutely. But there were also a lot of good scenes and special effects that I really enjoyed, and Ken did his best within the limits set by Ronny Yu. And of course Robert Englund is the ONLY Freddy in my opinion, so of course he was spot-on within the entire movie.

They did what they could, you know? They tried to make a decent crossover and while it may not go down in horror movie history, it's still good in its own right. 

I definitely have to say that it ranks higher on the scale as far as JGTH is concerned. I REALLY didn't enjoy that installment, despite the fact that Jason had a grand total of like, 5 minutes on-screen. It just wasn't a hit with me. :/

NO idea why it is better than the rest, but it is... theres something about it... also the Hockey Mask just looks awesome!

favorite part would be Jason Lives with Part 7 and 8 being a close second and third. I see those three as kind of its own trilogy inside the franchise really.

Kane is definitly the best Jason there ever was, when he came to the franchise, he gave the character something that previous actors didnt. Jason suddenly had a personality and something really primal and predatory instead of only being "the killer" of the show. know what i mean?!

apart from the movies i didnt get into other media though, no comics, books or anything, its straight up the movies for me.

and I liked them all! Jason goes to Hell was just bonkers (not enough actual jason though), Jason X totally over the top in some kind of awesome ridicolousness, even the remake (well the Killer Cut of that one) was great i think. LEAST favorite would definitly be part 5 simply cause its just not Jason.

I respectfully disagree I say Ted White is the Best Jason because while I will totally admit Kane Hodder helped cement the legacy of the character, Ted White helped the Character come full circle in part 4 where he truly became the Jason we all know and love because before that he was Kid Jason, Hill billy Jason and I guess "Thug" Jason would be the most appropriate title for him in part 3. However truly didn't become the unstoppable monster until part 4 where he was just straight up "A Man on a Mission" killing everyone in the fastest most gruesome ways possible I mean crushes a dudes face in the shower, pins George Mcfly's hand with a corkscrew then meat cleaver's him in the face and let's not forget my favorite kill in the film where he cuts a dude's throat with a bone saw then snaps his neck half decapitating him in the process. Not to mention The Final Chapter was the best film in my opinion of the franchise 

Kane Hodder's film's on the other hand were with the exception of part 7 were all pretty crappy I mean Jason X spat on the legacy of the franchise while Jason Takes Manhattan was a massive let down and should have been called Jason Takes a Cruise because manhattan was basically an after thought in the film and Jason Goes To Hell was garbage because A. Jason is not a Demon B. Jason wasn't in the film till the last 5 minutes and C. since when did Pamela have a daughter didn't she say Jason was her only child? only thing I give it credit for it setting up the possibility of an Evil Dead Crossover but that just opens up a new can of worms because Nancy was watching Evil Dead 2 in Nightmare on Elm Street. Kane Hodder did a great job as Jason but he was given Shit to work with and a polished turd is still a turd

Taking nothing away from the others that portrayed Jason Voorhees , they all did a great job , had their own style and brought something to the character . Now with that being said there are really only 3 main reasons I put Kane up as top on the list . 

1st . He brought more expression through movement to Jason , in my opinion , than any of the other actors . Whether it is a slow turn , a sudden glance , a brutal looking wresting match or one of the many incredible , sometimes record breaking , stunts he performed .

2nd . He loves the character and way more than people think . He loves the character so much that he has the guts to speak up , say well how about I do this scene this way , because this is what I think Jason would do . Even a step further past that , he is willing to put it all on the line and say no I don't think Jason would do that in an industry where one no can lead to never playing that part again .

3rd  . His respect for the fans , the franchise and the genre . He is always willing to go that extra mile for what makes a scene better , to say hello , sign something or take a picture . 

Now , for me it is hard to talk about him , because it sounds like I am a suck up , which is crap , but honestly , the dude is a hero and Horror needs more people like him .

• Like 2

My favorite Jason is definitely KANE HODDER

My favorite film is FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 7: NEW BLOOD

My favorite director is JOHN CARL BUECHLER

Because he had such a great vision for this film It would have been way better had the MPAA not raped his film. For example....kills aside, this is what BUECHLER had in mind for John Shepard...

part7_BTS_john_Sheppard2.jpg 

but what we got was

friday-the-13th-part-vii-the-new-blood-1

• Like 2

My favorite Jason is definitely KANE HODDER

My favorite film is FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 7: NEW BLOOD

My favorite director is JOHN CARL BUECHLER

Because he had such a great vision for this film It would have been way better had the MPAA not raped his film. For example....kills aside, this is what BUECHLER had in mind for John Shepard...

part7_BTS_john_Sheppard2.jpg 

but what we got was

friday-the-13th-part-vii-the-new-blood-1

For a dead guy who's been in a lake for 10 some odd years he's looking pretty good LOL

• Like 1

Favorite film is Part 3, mainly because Chris Higgins was by far my favorite Final Girl and had (what felt like) the longest cat-and-mouse scene with Jason.  Sure Tina (Part 7) had some crazy psychic powers, but it felt almost comic book-ish at times.  And yes, Ginny (Part 2) did have that whole outsmart Jason with his mother's sweater trick,  but she wasn't nearly as physical as Chris.  Also, that was the movie he got his hockey mask in.  And he was still human-ish, before he became zombie Jason (Parts 6-8), Aliens-esqe Jason (Part 9) or cyber space Jason (Part 10).

Chris+Higgins+01.jpg

• Like 1

For a dead guy who's been in a lake for 10 some odd years he's looking pretty good LI KNOW RIGHT

I know right?  lol

I would say my favorite movie is Part 6, from the fancy laser scope pistol to Jason getting shot with a paintball gun, there are many little scenes that stick with me more than any other in the series.  

Part 3 would be next.  Shelly is probably my favorite character in the series, not just cause he "gave" Jason the mask. He was just the most normal person, most relatable in the series.

As far as the reboot, I liked it for the most part.  Jason running was different and lessened the fear factor a little.  Jason shooting a bow was a horrible decision.

That being said, I enjoy the Friday the 13th films, there are campy fun flicks with over-the-top kills.  However,

Fear wise Jason has got nothing on my favorite masked killed Michael Myers, sorry.

My favorite Friday film is definitely Jason Lives. It is the perfect book end to the Tommy Jarvis saga and aimed the franchise in the right direction to continue making films. Although it is campy in places, it has so many memorable scenes. The opening and the ending being the highlights. The film also have my favorite portrayal of Jason from a design and acting standpoint. I know everyone loves Kane, but CJ brought a shark like quality to the character that always creeped me out a little more. It was too bad they didn't bring him back, but of course Kane did a fantastic job.

With that said, Joseph Zito is my favorite director from the Franchise. He brought a great sense of rawness to practical effects in The Final Chapter and elevated the scare factor of Jason in the film. If you have not seen his previous film "The Prowler," I would suggest you check that out as well. 

I have a few debatable views on the franchise as well. I belong to that small group of Friday fans that enjoys A New Beginning. Yes, the ending is a let down and confusing, but the rest of the film is filled with unique kills and fun characters. I mean where else are you going to find lines like "Damn Enchiladas!" and "Snow flurries up your nose...budaludeeeeee" Following Tommy's story is interesting and the film serves as sort of a 90 minute prologue to Jason Lives. Where it falls short is that it does not do a very good job of making the audience feel like Tommy could be the killer, which was supposed to be the point. The ending is no ones favorite, but for years I could not tell who was on those spikes when the killer was revealed. So yeah, not a perfect film by any stretch but not a complete waste of time either. 

My least favorite films in the series are Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy vs Jason, and F13th 2009. My feeling is that since New Line became involved in the series nothing has been right. Say what you want about Jason Takes Manhattan, but that is the last film to capture Jason in a way that worked really well. 

JGTH is pretty obvious. Jason is not in the film for a majority of the time. When he is, the costume is one of the worst in the series. The melty, bloated look doesn't do it for me at all. I will give credit to Adam Marcus for trying something new. His opening scene is actually spot on Friday, but after that it simple dives bombs into chaos. The film does have a few decent kills and good acting, but overall it's one of the least re-watchable for me. 

FvJ is another head shaker. Although I am happy the film finally got made, I just did not like the direction Ronny Yu took with Jason making him a dopey, sympathetic puppy dog. Any edge that Jason had before this film was simply washed away by this decision. At not point in the film is Jason scary. This film was the second to feature Jason in a jacket, but the first to make it a noticeable oversize frankenstein coat. How this has become the most recognizable version of Jason I will never know, but it simply makes me sad. 

F132009, the franchises opportunity to reset the story and PD dropped the ball. Again, it starts with Jason. For the first time I ever i walked out of the theater saying he looked better with the sack than he did with the mask. Much of the storytelling was uninteresting and just about all of the character were unappealing. Lots of repetitive kills and a major underuse of Jason running. The only time I felt any heart beat in the film was when Jason ran out of the shed and threw the axe at Lawrence. The opening was OK, but features the worst telling of the Crystal Lake Legend in the franchise. Overall, the entire film felt like a by the numbers retelling of the first 4 films, left more questions than it did answers, and told us nothing new about Crystal Lake or the Voorhees family. 

Jason X is not on my worst list because it's the only film in the new line catalogue that fits the "so bad it's good" category. Same goes for Manhattan. Both of those films scrapped the bottom of the barrel in budget so what they were able to produce is pretty great when you take that into consideration. Not a fan of the Jason X look per say, but at least the Jacket wasn't an oversized mess. 

I'll leave it here for now. I could go on about this stuff forever. 

My favorite Friday film is definitely Jason Lives. It is the perfect book end to the Tommy Jarvis saga and aimed the franchise in the right direction to continue making films. Although it is campy in places, it has so many memorable scenes. The opening and the ending being the highlights. The film also have my favorite portrayal of Jason from a design and acting standpoint. I know everyone loves Kane, but CJ brought a shark like quality to the character that always creeped me out a little more. It was too bad they didn't bring him back, but of course Kane did a fantastic job.

With that said, Joseph Zito is my favorite director from the Franchise. He brought a great sense of rawness to practical effects in The Final Chapter and elevated the scare factor of Jason in the film. If you have not seen his previous film "The Prowler," I would suggest you check that out as well. 

I have a few debatable views on the franchise as well. I belong to that small group of Friday fans that enjoys A New Beginning. Yes, the ending is a let down and confusing, but the rest of the film is filled with unique kills and fun characters. I mean where else are you going to find lines like "Damn Enchiladas!" and "Snow flurries up your nose...budaludeeeeee" Following Tommy's story is interesting and the film serves as sort of a 90 minute prologue to Jason Lives. Where it falls short is that it does not do a very good job of making the audience feel like Tommy could be the killer, which was supposed to be the point. The ending is no ones favorite, but for years I could not tell who was on those spikes when the killer was revealed. So yeah, not a perfect film by any stretch but not a complete waste of time either. 

My least favorite films in the series are Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy vs Jason, and F13th 2009. My feeling is that since New Line became involved in the series nothing has been right. Say what you want about Jason Takes Manhattan, but that is the last film to capture Jason in a way that worked really well. 

JGTH is pretty obvious. Jason is not in the film for a majority of the time. When he is, the costume is one of the worst in the series. The melty, bloated look doesn't do it for me at all. I will give credit to Adam Marcus for trying something new. His opening scene is actually spot on Friday, but after that it simple dives bombs into chaos. The film does have a few decent kills and good acting, but overall it's one of the least re-watchable for me. 

FvJ is another head shaker. Although I am happy the film finally got made, I just did not like the direction Ronny Yu took with Jason making him a dopey, sympathetic puppy dog. Any edge that Jason had before this film was simply washed away by this decision. At not point in the film is Jason scary. This film was the second to feature Jason in a jacket, but the first to make it a noticeable oversize frankenstein coat. How this has become the most recognizable version of Jason I will never know, but it simply makes me sad. 

F132009, the franchises opportunity to reset the story and PD dropped the ball. Again, it starts with Jason. For the first time I ever i walked out of the theater saying he looked better with the sack than he did with the mask. Much of the storytelling was uninteresting and just about all of the character were unappealing. Lots of repetitive kills and a major underuse of Jason running. The only time I felt any heart beat in the film was when Jason ran out of the shed and threw the axe at Lawrence. The opening was OK, but features the worst telling of the Crystal Lake Legend in the franchise. Overall, the entire film felt like a by the numbers retelling of the first 4 films, left more questions than it did answers, and told us nothing new about Crystal Lake or the Voorhees family. 

Jason X is not on my worst list because it's the only film in the new line catalogue that fits the "so bad it's good" category. Same goes for Manhattan. Both of those films scrapped the bottom of the barrel in budget so what they were able to produce is pretty great when you take that into consideration. Not a fan of the Jason X look per say, but at least the Jacket wasn't an oversized mess. 

I'll leave it here for now. I could go on about this stuff forever. 

I actually agree with you on Friday The 13th Part 5 people give it crap all the time but it's actually when you think about it a really good entry to the series I mean it has some truly memorable characters, great kills, some of the best nudity in the series and it even was a nice callback to the 1st film in the series by having the killer be a parent seeking revenge for the death of their child  

Finally some others that enjoy Part 5 its always been one of my favourites. I think it gets so much hate just because its a copy cat killer and not the real Jason. To me its got some of the best characters of the franchise, it works a bit as a comedy as well as a horror movie.

"Who the fuck are you and what the fuck do you want?" "that's one fucking ugly man that goes there" "You dumb?" some of ethels best lines in part 5

• Like 1

"Who the fuck are you and what the fuck do you want?" "that's one fucking ugly man that goes there" "You dumb?" some of ethels best lines in part 5

You big dildo! Shut up and eat your slop!

The scene with Violet dancing to "His Eyes" was the most 80s scene to ever 80s in a slasher movie.  I mean a New Wave looking chick acting all New Wave distant and detached listening to New Wave music, completely oblivious to the masked killer.  That makes Part 5 worth it alone!

Wow, this might be the biggest collection of New Beginning Fans that I have ever seen. lol

Theory: What if a lot of people actually love part 5 but are afraid to say so because they wouldn't be viewed as cool Friday the 13th fans? :ph34r:  Also Demon was just F@#KING AWESOME wish he got more screen time

• Like 4

All i can say is at least Friday the 13th have a copy cat killer for part 5, where as the Halloween series made a terrible sequel when they took away Michael Myers.

• Like 2

Here are my Top 5 favorite films to watch. Criticism and praise is welcome! :)

Top 5 Favorites Of The Friday the 13th Franchise

1. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
The definitive Friday movie, period. This film took everything that made the original 1980 film tense and suspenseful as well as how Part 3 introduced Jason as a pure iconic slasher and improved upon those elements 100 percent. Character development in a Friday the 13th film is often overlooked, but The Final Chapter by far had the most interesting and sympathetic people in all of the series. Tom Savini even improved upon his effects and creativity in the death scenes for the fourth film.

The ending of this film is indeed the most chaotic, suspenseful and non-confusing out of the original five films in the series. Let’s face it, dream sequences were all of the rage in the beginning of the franchise and to have a straightforward conclusion to a story was an endearing proposition.

2. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday
I am sure the pure fact this movie is number two on my list will indeed leave many dumbfounded. No, I am not some poor lost soul who knows nothing about the franchise, I just like a little creativity in my horror films. The opening of this film features the definitive and signature stalk and chase scene in the film series. It incorporates everything we have seen throughout the Friday movies, almost in the form of parody, but executed to awesome perfection.

The rest of the film is an orgy of mixing different sub-genres within the horror realm to expand the mythology of the Voorhees family and the curse on Crystal Lake. K.N.B. effects delivers the gory goodness with the best practical special effects to date. Tom Savini would be proud. If more people could overlook the fact that the physical presence of Jason is absent from most of the film, this Friday the 13th entry would fare better in the minds of the fans as the most original movie of the series since the original 1980 film.

3. Friday the 13th (1980)
The complete opposite end of the spectrum from JGTH, this 35 year old independent gem is indeed the film that started it all. The whodunit aspect of the movie is one of major selling points within the story as well as the great characters and dialogue. The lurking presence of the unseen killer increases the sense of fear and paranoia that is felt by the film viewer and the creative death sequences orchestrated by Tom Savini are the icing on top of the cake.

Time has dated some aspects of the film, but there is no denying that this film ushered in a new era of horror film in the 1980′s and still, in my mind, is the gold standard of the slasher genre from that era.

4. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
Why would I have Jason Goes To Hell and A New Beginning ranked higher than Part 2 and Part 3? Well, simply put, I like entertaining characters with my death scenes. The fifth installment goes back to the whodunit aspect of story telling that made the original 1980 such a success. Since the MPAA helped destroy many of the awesome kills in the film, something is needed to make the film stand on it’s feet. What we have in Part 5 is the greatest assembly of 1980′s era stereotypes and new wave personas ever collected in a Friday the 13th film and possibly the slasher genre.

I personally could care less if Jason was not in this film as that’s not what was originally intended by the franchise creators anyways. I enjoy the fact that the producers decided to try a new angle on their film series by incorporating all of the elements of past films as well as a continuing story line and character from a previous film. It is my belief that if the kills were not heavily trimmed down and the ridiculous multiple dream sequence ending was eliminated, that this film would be looked at in a much better light.

5. Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood
Yes, I do have Part 5, Part 7 and Jason Goes To Hell in my Top 5. I did do that! Purely and simply, The New Blood would have been ranked higher in my list if the characters in the film were not so annoying and cookie cutter. If the characters were half as enjoyable to watch as the people in Part 5 or The Final Chapter, and if the ending wasn't such a let down, this might be #3 or maybe even #2 on my list. That being said, I enjoyed the recycled 'The Final Chapter' story of the party house next door to the family house. Jason picking off teens at a secluded party is always a big plus!

John Buechler’s Jason design is top notch and his special effects and kill sequences are stellar, even though the viewer did not get to see their unedited glory until recently. The added telekinesis angle to combat a now zombified Jason is welcome and having Dr. Crews as the true villain in the film is a perfect balance to Jason’s destructive habits.

• Like 1

5. Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood

Yes, I do have Part 5, Part 7 and Jason Goes To Hell in my Top 5. I did do that! Purely and simply, The New Blood would have been ranked higher in my list if the characters in the film were not so annoying and cookie cutter. If the characters were half as enjoyable to watch as the people in Part 5 or The Final Chapter, and if the ending wasn't such a let down, this might be #3 or maybe even #2 on my list. That being said, I enjoyed the recycled 'The Final Chapter' story of the party house next door to the family house. Jason picking off teens at a secluded party is always a big plus!

John Buechler’s Jason design is top notch and his special effects and kill sequences are stellar, even though the viewer did not get to see their unedited glory until recently. The added telekinesis angle to combat a now zombified Jason is welcome and having Dr. Crews as the true villain in the film is a perfect balance to Jason’s destructive habits.

I always regret putting the New Blood at the bottom of my list, but I have a hard time watching this film. No questions the gore and effects are top notch, but the whole Carrie vs. Jason undertone never sat well with me. The kids in the film are uninteresting which also hurt it's replay factor. 

There are a few good scenes, and Jason looks great, but I wish that design existed in a better story. 

• Like 2

Theory: What if a lot of people actually love part 5 but are afraid to say so because they wouldn't be viewed as cool Friday the 13th fans? :ph34r:  Also Demon was just F@#KING AWESOME wish he got more screen time

What ARE cool Friday the 13th fans anyways? I love Part 5!! Let it be known!  Demon was the man. Oohhhh baby, ooooooh baby!

• Like 1

Cool friday fans are those that like the franchise and pledged to get the game made :)

• Like 1