Crispen_Glover

Should the F13 license have gone to a AAA dev?

13 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

@TheHansonGoons

I’m really disappointed @ShiftySamurai and the others couldn’t be bothered to do the 5 questions a week thread. Seriously, how fucking hard is it to answer 5 questions every week? I haven’t been calling the folks at Gun or IllFonic out on it and I probably should have. Seriously, five questions- if they can’t be bothered do that then I view it as a complete lack of respect for the community in general.

Well, they are a very small but passionate group. When they are tryin to push out updates, fixes, and game content, I doubt the forums are left with much of any of their time. Try to hit Shifty up on Twitter. Him, Wes, and Friday13thegame is a lot more active there. Most people hit them up on Twitter anyways. 

On 4/22/2018 at 2:38 PM, SirMang said:

Every game has dropoff within the first couple months.

People buy the game, play it, and don't like it or it doesn't match their expectations for whatever reason and they simply stop playing it.

AAA games aren't immune to that effect, look at games like Destiny 2 and the mass exodus and that was the 2nd highest selling title of 2017.  So a AAA company wouldn't have kept the playerbase engaged for longer, in fact most AAA developers ability to communicate with the playerbase is somewhere between outright lying to nonexistent. 

SirMang is spot on here. Triple A money dosen't translate to a triple A game most of the time. 

On 4/22/2018 at 12:38 PM, SirMang said:

Every game has dropoff within the first couple months.

People buy the game, play it, and don't like it or it doesn't match their expectations for whatever reason and they simply stop playing it.

AAA games aren't immune to that effect, look at games like Destiny 2 and the mass exodus and that was the 2nd highest selling title of 2017.  So a AAA company wouldn't have kept the playerbase engaged for longer, in fact most AAA developers ability to communicate with the playerbase is somewhere between outright lying to nonexistent. 

Unfortunately using Destiny 2 is a bad example.  It had a mass exodus because of how bad they messed up the game and how many times they got caught using bad practices.  It wasn't the normal drop off most games see.  

Not every AAA MP game has a drop off either. There are still plenty that play those games months after.  Overwatch is a prime example of that.  Games do have a drop off but when the drop off happens and how bad it is will either tell the tale if it's a good game or a bad game.  

F13's drop off = bad game.  

1 hour ago, Corkenstein said:

Unfortunately using Destiny 2 is a bad example.  It had a mass exodus because of how bad they messed up the game and how many times they got caught using bad practices.  It wasn't the normal drop off most games see.  

Not every AAA MP game has a drop off either. There are still plenty that play those games months after.  Overwatch is a prime example of that.  Games do have a drop off but when the drop off happens and how bad it is will either tell the tale if it's a good game or a bad game.  

Fallout 4 had a huge dropoff of players in 3 months. Star Wars Battlefront - the first one - had a massive dropoff.  The Division.  Watchdogs.  Street Fighter V.  Evolve.  Fallout 4 is a prime example of a game that is good that still had massive player dropoff quickly. 

Overwatch there is no way to know how many players are actively playing as Blizzard doesn't announce actual player totals anymore...and hasn't since WoW had a massive player dropoff.   They just announce how many units are sold.  

Meanwhile, this game is now almost a year old and people are complaining that on PC the game has lost like 80% of its playerbase in that time?  That's normal.  For basically every title.  

Oddly enough people buy other games.  They get their enjoyment out of a title and move on to something else.  

2 hours ago, Corkenstein said:

I don't believe a game is indicated as bad just because of a drop off. Same with movies, just because the 2nd weekend has a large drop off doesn't suddenly mean its a bad film. There's other factors to consider. 

53 minutes ago, SirMang said:

Fallout 4 had a huge dropoff of players in 3 months. Star Wars Battlefront - the first one - had a massive dropoff.  The Division.  Watchdogs.  Street Fighter V.  Evolve.  Fallout 4 is a prime example of a game that is good that still had massive player dropoff quickly. 

Overwatch there is no way to know how many players are actively playing as Blizzard doesn't announce actual player totals anymore...and hasn't since WoW had a massive player dropoff.   They just announce how many units are sold.  

Meanwhile, this game is now almost a year old and people are complaining that on PC the game has lost like 80% of its playerbase in that time?  That's normal.  For basically every title.  

Oddly enough people buy other games.  They get their enjoyment out of a title and move on to something else.  

F4 and WatchDogs were single player only experiences.  Its standard for their drop off to be quick and big no matter how successful the game is.  

The Division was pretty bad on release. It's only now that it is getting better and seeing a resurgence.  BF1 was bad on release as well.  Same with Street Fighter and Evolve.  Players didn't really click with any of those games.  

Overwatch did release its numbers last year in Oct. and it continues to grow despite being almost two years old. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/overwatch-player-count-continues-to-soar-game-hits-35m-users-w509080

F13s drop off was significant and big within its first month.  It only sees some resurgence when a patch releases and then the drop off is bad again losing more and more players every time.  This just wasn't over a years time.  They lost a lot of people on release right out the gate. 

39 minutes ago, kohagan said:

I don't believe a game is indicated as bad just because of a drop off. Same with movies, just because the 2nd weekend has a large drop off doesn't suddenly mean its a bad film. There's other factors to consider. 

It's usually a good sign to indicate how bad something is.  If within a month your player base drops significantly for an MP game, it means something is seriously wrong.  You are supposed to see a growth in player base, not a decrease on release.  

Movies are one and done.  You cant compare them to MP games that have replayability.  

7 minutes ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

@Cokeyskunk this isn't a bad game. I have played worse in my lifetime. If there was a drop off due to any issue it would be the host leaving constantly.

Question. Cokeyskunk hasn't actually replied to this thread at all, who are you referring to?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Question. Cokeyskunk hasn't actually replied to this thread at all, who are you referring to?

Your right I fucked up. I will change it.

6 minutes ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Your right I fucked up. I will change it.

Oh, I noticed the edit. Can't you just backspace out the tag? I think it won't cancel out notifying Cokeyskunk, but at least you let an "edit post" sign on the post so everyone knows you changed who you were referring to.

Just now, Trident77 said:

Oh, I noticed the edit. Can't you just backspace out the tag? I think it won't cancel out notifying Cokeyskunk, but at least you let an "edit post" sign on the post so everyone knows you changed who you were referring to.

No it won't erase the tag. Thanks for catching it. It's 04:24 here in Texas and I am at work. Feeling a bit tired at the end my fifty hour work week right now.

18 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

@Cokeyskunkhis isn't a bad game. I have played worse in my lifetime. If there was a drop off due to any issue it would be the host leaving constantly.

Edit: I ment @Corkenstein anyone know how to get rid of Skunk's tag let me know.

Uh. Yeah, I guess I could just-- delete my account. That should handle it . . . 

• Like 1

What's AAA? Atheist Alcoholics Annonymous? "Nothing, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

• Haha 1

On April 21, 2018 at 9:16 PM, thatdudescott said:

This is the route I wish they would take with Nightmare on Elm Street. 

Would love to see this done. Like Until Dawn. 

On 4/20/2018 at 1:15 PM, MichaelMemers said:

No AAA dev would make a game like this in the first place. They'd do something completely different with the IP, or ignore it entirely. That's the more likely outcome.

While we may have had dedicated servers, we would have been charged much more for even less than we got. I have little doubt that single player would have had to have to have been bought, virtual cabin would need to have been bought, anything other than Part 3 Jason would need to be bought, weapon swapping would be bought, same with extra counselors, any alternate outfits, etc.

They would not have had Kane doing mocap. They would not have had the pamela/tommy tapes. They would not have been period accurate and you can bet your ass they would have included shit like the harlem shake and dabbing in the mocaps.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Daneasaur said:

While we may have had dedicated servers, we would have been charged much more for even less than we got. I have little doubt that single player would have had to have to have been bought, virtual cabin would need to have been bought, anything other than Part 3 Jason would need to be bought, weapon swapping would be bought, same with extra counselors, any alternate outfits, etc.

They would not have had Kane doing mocap. They would not have had the pamela/tommy tapes. They would not have been period accurate and you can bet your ass they would have included shit like the harlem shake and dabbing in the mocaps.

You are insane thinking every piece would have been separate DLC.

1)bigger companies would NOT have put out a game with only one game mode. 

2) they would have made a single player story. Not just bots and challenges. They would have put challenges in the actual story. Probably had awesome cut scenes where it plays like a movie too, not just unskippable intros, but the entire story arc plays like a movie based off how you play. Also, would probably have a counselor story mode, as well qs Jason story mode.

3) what they actually would have charged for are new Jasons and maps - which isnt an issue at all if you look at DbD. We want new killers and maps, no one would mind paying for that. Games wont survive off sales of kill packs, clothes and emotes. Besides, there are a limited amount of Jasons and maps, but they could keep making kill packs and charging for those. Why not keep those unlocked by level progressing specific Jasons and making $10 Jason and map DLCs? I would much rather have to pay for that.

4) things like costumes, dances could have been unlocked, if they were in the game. Which so leads me to:

5) a more practical level progression system. Things like badges would have earned perks instead od cheesy RNG where few people get the perks to the level they want. I have over 38 DaYS in game and still dont have epic or legendary perks I want. Know much CP that is and time wasted rolling perks? Its a fucking stupid level progression system.

6) dedicated servers off the bat

7) more frequent and solid patches and balance updates. Not like the months we spent where it was Counselor Carnage at Camp.

? you say likeness to the films and period, but have you noticed every other 80s thing that is trending? Not like its actually unique at all here. Stranger Things, every synth album made for the past 5 years, Kung Fury, every cheap slasher movie trying to be like 80s era, Mixtape Massacre the board game, etc. 80s retro is the trend and it doesn't a marketing genius to put laser script or use the F13 logo.  

On this same note, the main cabins of maps are great, but every other part of the map is recycled assets and leaves little character to each map. AAA devs would have larger art departments to where each place feels different.

9) not a small team of sensitive devs that ban people for speaking how they feel. Instead they ban their own community and sweep the criticism away on threee different social platforms. Seems shady as hell.

10) bigger fanbase reached to help create more custom game variants. This would also be possible because a bigger company would think of more private match options to make the game more interesting. Example, turn on or off mini map item locations. A very simple toggle they could never do but improves PM for a lot of players. How about turning off proximity or chase music? How about setting up options for escapes on a map? Bunch of shit that could personalize this game for groups that was either never considered, or they didnt care enough. Even though those ideas have been repetitive themes across social platforms.

11) Bigger QA testing team would have prevented a) QP being broken for 3 months on Xbox, 2 months elsewhere. B)phone fuse falling into the ground for how long. I wont go into all the other bugs/glitches, some that are day one bugs we still have. Point is, they wouldnt be there over a year later.

12) benefit of this small, passionate team making this is supposed to be intimate interactions with the company. Considering they dont engage anyone or answer most basic questions, cant keep up on community sections on their own webpage; we may as well have had Hideo Kojima make this game. At least he would have put in terrifying ambience, body traps and other creepy things or jump scares.

13. Better lawyers to have known about the rights off the bat. Any issues with Horror Inc, or Victor Miller could have been ironed out. They wouldnt have ran into a dead game a year in. Also better CEOs to have decided to push out content instead of an upgrade that could have came later. Instead they pushed an upgrade that, other than a grab animation, it broke the game more and became the last straw for a lot of players. 

14. Why do I get more news on their next project than their current one "that they are still working on"? This is a fan theory I heard the other day, but what if paranoia mode was what they took to work with Team Bloober? Some say Team Bloober already had a game going, Gun just purchased the rights to it. 

Overall, a AAA team would have been a better way to go in my opinion. They wouldnt have lost nearly as many of the 1.8 million players in the first couple months, they would have retained more players for longer with better game options and updates. Also, the greatest Kickstarter campaign would not have let so many people feeling swindled. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

You are insane thinking every piece would have been separate DLC.

1)bigger companies would NOT have put out a game with only one game mode. 

2) they would have made a single player story. Not just bots and challenges. They would have put challenges in the actual story. Probably had awesome cut scenes where it plays like a movie too. Just just unskippable intros, but the entire story arc plays like a movie based off how you play. Also, would probably have a counselor story mode, as well qs Jason story mode.

3) what they actually would have charged for are new Jasons and maps - which isnt an issue at all if you look at DbD. We want new killers and maps, no one would mind paying for that. Games wont survive off sales of kill packs, clothes and emotes. Besides, there are a limited amount of Jasons and maps, but they could keep making kill packs and charging for those. Why not keep those unlocked by level progressing specific Jasons and making $10 Jason and map DLCs? I would much rather have to pay for that.

4) things like costumes, dances could have been unlocked, if they were in the game. Which so leads me to:

5) a more practical level progression system. Things like badges would have earned perks instead od cheesy RNG where few people get the perks to the level they want. I have over 38 DaYS in game and still dont have epic or legendary perks I want. Know much CP that is and time wasted rolling perks? Its a fucking stupid level progression system.

6) dedicated servers off the bat

7) more frequent and solid patches and balance updates. Not like the months we spent where it was Counselor Carnage at Camp.

? you say likeness to the films and period, but have you noticed every other 80s thing that is trending? Not like its actually unique at all here. Stranger Things, every synth album made for the past 5 years, Kung Fury, every cheap slasher movie trying to be like 80s era, Mixtape Massacre the board game, etc. 80s retro is the trend and it doesn't a marketing genius to put laser script or use the F13 logo.  

On this same note, the main cabins of maps are great, but every other part of the map is recycled assets and leaves little character to each map. AAA devs would have larger art departments to where each place feels different.

9) not a small team of sensitive devs that ban people for speaking how they feel. Instead they ban their own community and sweep the criticism away on threee different social platforms. Seems shady as hell.

10) bigger fanbase reached to help create more custom game variants. This would also be possible because a bigger company would think of more private match options to make the game more interesting. Example, turn on or off mini map item locations. A very simple toggle they could never do but improves PM for a lot of players. How about turning off proximity or chase music? How about setting up options for escapes on a map? Bunch of shit that could personalize this game for groups that was either never considered, or they didnt care enough. Even though those ideas have been repetitive themes across social platforms.

11) Bigger QA testing team would have prevented a) QP being broken for 3 months on Xbox, 2 months elsewhere. B)phone fuse falling into the ground for how long. I wont go into all the other bugs/glitches, some that are day one bugs we still have. Point is, they wouldnt be there over a year later.

12) benefit of this small, passionate team making this is supposed to be intimate interactions with the company. Considering they dont engage anyone or answer most basic questions, cant keep up on community sections on their own webpage; we may as well have had Hideo Kojima make this game. At least he would have put in terrifying ambience, body traps and other creepy things or jump scares.

13. Better lawyers to have known about the rights off the bat. Any issues with Horror Inc, or Victor Miller could have been ironed out. They wouldnt have ran into a dead game a year in. Also better CEOs to have decided to push out content instead of an upgrade that could have came later. Instead they pushed an upgrade that, other than a grab animation, it broke the game more and became the last straw for a lot of players. 

14. Why do I get more news on their next project than their current one "that they are still working on"? This is a fan theory I heard the other day, but what if paranoia mode was what they took to work with Team Bloober? Some say Team Bloober already had a game going, Gun just purchased the rights to it. 

Overall, a AAA team would have been a better way to go in my opinion. They wouldnt have lost nearly as many of the 1.8 million players in the first couple months, they would have retained more players for longer with better game options and updates. Also, the greatest Kickstarter campaign would not have let so many people feeling swindled. 

Ouch, but I think I would have to agree with most said here..

1 minute ago, TheHansonGoons said:

3) what they actually would have charged for are new Jasons and maps - which isnt an issue at all if you look at DbD.

wanna add to that, if any teams like rockstar for example made this with a big budget they would have likely took the time out of their days to give the jasons actual personality and shit as well. such as pt2-4 being about counselor sized with a normal average body shape like in the movies and with their own kinda walk style animations and gameplay style for example. in this game the main  difference between pt2 and 9 jasons is literally just some minor strengths and weaknesses, in the end they all look and play the same as a huge 7 foot bodybuilder with more mass than brainpower and a fetish to grab people by the neck and then very slowly lift them up before killing them

i would have gladly paid for those jasons if they actually changed up the gameplay a little bit and actually looked and played more accurate to the movies theyre in

• Like 1

Over a decade ago when The Warriors and Manhunt came out, I was sure Rockstar was going to do a F13 game. I wanted them to do so very badly. They are the type of developer to hit something like this out of the park.

Then again, GUN deserves a million points of credit for aligning all of the real names behind the movies and making the maps and characters as authentic as they did.

Only The Warriors by Rockstar comes close for a movie game to sheer authenticity as F13 does.

10 hours ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Only The Warriors by Rockstar comes close for a movie game to sheer authenticity as F13 does.

Wrong:

5 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Wrong:

Haha.  That game held the title back in the PS1 days.  Not anymore.

We need a new-gen remake of this.  And Manhunt too.

• Haha 1