Crispen_Glover

Should the F13 license have gone to a AAA dev?

A AAA title would have turned the emotes into lootboxes where you'd pay 1.99 or 2.99 for the chance to get one of them.

A AAA title would have released this game even more broken with promises to fix it along the way.

A AAA title would have made the environment even brighter because they need to show off their fancy graphics. 

A AAA title would have forced you to pay for the Shelly, Fox, Jason IV, Roy DLC packs. 

And most likely a AAA company would have never even produced this game to begin with.

Be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrenchFriedPotaters said:

What's an AAA Dev?

AAA or Triple A means big budget, first and foremost. Games have big developement studios and even bigger publishers.

I agree that would have never been made in a Triple A environment, so I think a small studio despite its shortcomings is still the best we could ever hope for.

I don't think a AAA company would necessarily have run the IP through the mud- Creative Assembly kept Alien: Isolation very authentic to the movies. Too bad none of them seem interested in multiplayer horror games :( I think it'd sell well, but what do I know

If anything, this game has proven it's that Jason doesn't work well in asymmetrical multiplayer, because he's either "too strong," or "too weak." You can't please both sides of the fanbase who think that the game is unbalanced. Friday the 13th, and other horror titles, would have worked better as a story-driven horror game in the vein of Until Dawn.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackWidowofLaPorte said:

a story-driven horror game in the vein of Until Dawn.

This is the route I wish they would take with Nightmare on Elm Street. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlackWidowofLaPorte said:

If anything, this game has proven it's that Jason doesn't work well in asymmetrical multiplayer, because he's either "too strong," or "too weak." You can't please both sides of the fanbase who think that the game is unbalanced. Friday the 13th, and other horror titles, would have worked better as a story-driven horror game in the vein of Until Dawn.

I disagree, for the faults it may have, conceptually F13 the game is kinda genius. Take each slasher archetype character and have them play against someone playing as the killer. Its elegant in its simplicity and has made for some of my funnest gaming moments in recent history. Also I hated until dawn.

• Thanks 1

No,  because it would have been made with money instead of love like this game was.  All they care about are making games that they KNOW will make money like COD and shit.  I mean yeah they updates and bug fixes would come a hell of a lot faster but overall the game would not be the same, it would be some generic garbage they spent maybe a month making.  I am glad we have indie studies like IllFonic that can give us games like this.

• Like 2

No, unless you want it to turn out like the tons of other games, with all the bugs comes more artistic freedom. this game has gotten 1000x more gameplay than almost all my games and is on top of the few i used to be hooked on. Bugs i mean seriously, they aren't that bad, the only real bad ones are the lobby killing ones like players dashboarding and connectivity timeouts. aside from all that i don't really mind letting them work with it, in fact some can be quite funny. leave it to the guys with the vision please not a corporation with nothing but the bottom line. big devs would probably turn their back on it once they milked it for all the cash they could. this way its an evolving game with people who actually care about it. you can see this in the maps. the detail and attention to being pretty damn movie accurate

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlackWidowofLaPorte said:

Friday the 13th, and other horror titles, would have worked better as a story-driven horror game in the vein of Until Dawn.

Thank you! I’ve thought this since this game was announced. 

No. This is a great game with excellent design. Say what you will about hosting issues but I doubt EA or Ubisoft or WB would have offered us the same experience without a buttload of dlc or lootboxes. 

Yes, I’d rather have a big studio with real developers instead of what we have now.

The devs are a joke, they tease all the changes and upcoming new content yet all we saw was a short rather scripted scene.

I want regular updates and communication.

Epic Games for example has over 45 million players yet they have the time to reply to people’s post on Reddit or actually implement a feature into a mode that is criticized by the players.

Here a thread will be locked if enough people go against the devs way of thinking.

By the looks of it this game won’t last long anyways with less than 2 thousand active players on Steam lmfao.

• Thanks 1

I am really surprised no one has mentioned how many hundred thousand players were lost in the first 3 months.

This game sold nearly 2million copies in the first few months. How many of those people quit because of bullshit like game crashes and dashboarding every 2 or 3 games? Phone fuses dropping in the ground if a counselor died with it?  There were so many game breaking glitches and bugs in the first few months and a lot of people saw this game as unplayable or a joke. You fought the game more than you fought players. 

Had a AAA devloper had it, they could have kept a solid playerbase for longer. Updates would have passed certification and Xbox users wouldnt have had to wait extra time for their game to be playable. Not to mention updates would be released more frequently. Hell even DbD gets one every week or two. Also, dedicated servers or host migration would have been implemented initially. 

However, there are reasons why its great indie has it. Wes, Randy and Ron's passion for the movies and devotion to implementing moments, art, characters, etc from the films. The bigger reason, free added content. AAA devs would charge for each new Jason or map. 

Some have argued AAA devs dont listen, and to them I say look at the life cycle of Star Wars Battlefront 2. It was the epitome of lootcrate, p2w, and at launch they got rid of paying for loot crates. Now they have gotten rid of loot crates altogether, though they will come back containing only cosmetic things and emotes. They revamped the entire progression system to be meaningful from what hero, character, ship you play as. 

If these devs truly listened to us(not just read but do what they want) then they would revamp the level progression system to be more relevant to the player and less about RNG as @AldermachXI, private matches would have customizable games with toggle options so players can make their own game types, and the devs would once a week answer 5 questions as @Brigadius and @bewareofbears both suggested, and the entire community agreed. All developers, AAA and indie, listen. We give them jobs by purchasing and playing their games. Its their actions and reactions to the feedback that define them.

They dont even keep up on the community section of their own website so how are we supposed to think they care about the community at all?? Where are the challenges?

• Like 4

@TheHansonGoons, I couldn't agree more.

I've asked repeatedly for them to post the announcements that haven't been posted. Wet Chad and the emotes/single player skulls. Why wouldn't they realize that if the announcement isn't good enough to post to the forum, than it probably isn't a good announcement. The funny part is that if written up right, the skull/emote announcement probably would have been ok. They keep setting themselves up to fail, first we get good communication and videos, but as the weeks rolled on we got less and less communication, and then gifs. I'm just ranting I know but seriously, am I the only one who thinks this is their own fault? 

Edit

I'm not at the point of frustration that some people have gotten to but I do think they need to realize just how important a community can be to long term game life. This community exists despite itself. 

I would also say I'm impressed by some members as of late, it's not the hive of scum and villainy it first appears.

• Thanks 1

If you see the passion in these folks — and I’m sure you do — then you’ll probably agree that Gun and Illfonic was the way to go.

The trouble with AAA games to me is they’re not always AAA in my view. I grow tired of the “formula” that every AAA game tends to follow. They’re not experiences as much as they are products. Their production values are undeniable, but many — if not most — of them come from a mold created by years of the same watered-down mechanics and concepts.

While no one is a fan of bugs, I can’t imagine F13 being done by a team who doesn’t care about the subject matter. The last thing I want is for F13 to play like Call of Duty. Given the choice between a buggy game made for fans BY fans, and a bug-free game shaped by shareholders and focus groups, I’ll happily embrace the connection timeouts and Jason’s stun lock.

Every game has dropoff within the first couple months.

People buy the game, play it, and don't like it or it doesn't match their expectations for whatever reason and they simply stop playing it.

AAA games aren't immune to that effect, look at games like Destiny 2 and the mass exodus and that was the 2nd highest selling title of 2017.  So a AAA company wouldn't have kept the playerbase engaged for longer, in fact most AAA developers ability to communicate with the playerbase is somewhere between outright lying to nonexistent. 

For a long time, Games based around movies franchises which are usually developed by AA developers have had a reputation for being outright terrible due to being quick cheap cash grabs. There are a few diamonds in the vast mounds of shit, alien isolation being a recent example. 

What I like about friday the 13th is it came from people who are fans of the movies, it shows. I'm not too sure something like f13th would've been given the same love if handed over to a AA company. 

The aesthetic value of the game is nice.   The rest of it is subpar to SUCKS.  From the controls to the choppiness of  the gameplay to the hosts etc. to the incessant hit detection issues (Cant tell you how many times Ive swung completely THROUGH Jason with no registering ) .   Aesthetic value is only one aspect of a game.  Gameplay is even more important. .  .  So in that sense, yea someone else getting a hold of the game would have been better choice.  I would sell the rights off to someone that can fix these things.  After a year, the current developers have already shown they aren't capable.     Theres no excuse to be having these types of a issues ONE YEAR after the fact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Asymmetrical horror is nothing new. Have you heard of a small title called Dying Light?  It’s still making quite a bit of money, and has an absolutely AWESOME single player experience.

If we were talking about a AAA studio that gave us the EXACT same game we have now, but the issues were fixed, then yes, most would probably go with a AAA studio. That’s just common sense. 

But, a AAA studio wouldn’t make THIS game, they’d ignore the source material, and make a game based on their own vision of what kind of game would sell to the masses. And, based on their focus groups, they’d make a zombie game with the F13 license on it. 

This is the most contradictory post ever. Dude, make a point or dont say anything

• Confused 1

@TheHansonGoons

I’m really disappointed @ShiftySamurai and the others couldn’t be bothered to do the 5 questions a week thread. Seriously, how fucking hard is it to answer 5 questions every week? I haven’t been calling the folks at Gun or IllFonic out on it and I probably should have. Seriously, five questions- if they can’t be bothered do that then I view it as a complete lack of respect for the community in general.

• Like 1