Crispen_Glover

Should the F13 license have gone to a AAA dev?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and play it almost everyday, plus the attention to detail and fan service in the game is an F13 fans wet dream. So I am really grateful to Gun and IllFonic.  But when I see the constant bugs and glitches, and still no dedicated servers almost A YEAR after release I cant help but imagine what this game would be if it had the budget, polish, and manpower of a AAA studio. 

At the same time however I can easily see how a big developer would fuck up the game with stuff like loot boxes and micro-transactions. So in that sense I'm even more grateful that the people at Gun and ill give us so much shit for free.  

• Like 1

No AAA dev would make a game like this in the first place. They'd do something completely different with the IP, or ignore it entirely. That's the more likely outcome.

• Like 5

Would a AAA studio WANT to develop an F13 game? Licensed IP games from AAA studios are such a mixed bag of quality, and for every Alien Isolation, there's also a Colonial Marines.

I think an indie studio was the correct way to go, since the series started out as a small project and was always given a shoestring budget.

• Like 3

Would it have been better? Yeah probably. But there weren’t any AAA companies looking to make this type of game at the time. I’m hoping things change and we see more big-budget asymmetrical games in the future.

1 minute ago, Thatguyinktown said:

Would a AAA studio WANT to develop an F13 game? Licensed IP games from AAA studios are such a mixed bag of quality, and for every Alien Isolation, there's also a Colonial Marines.

I think an indie studio was the correct way to go, since the series started out as a small project and was always given a shoestring budget.

It's not just the issue of making a licensed game. It's the idea of an asymmetrical multiplayer game like this, you don't see this sort of thing from big developers and publishers and won't until they've become enough of a trend that they feel comfortable copying that trend. The AAA industry generally doesn't do interesting games like these, they play it safe.

I hope a triple A dev notices that there's a niche market for asymmetrical horror games. F13, DbD, and white noise are great but they're shallow and plagued with issues.

• Like 2

Just now, lHeartBreakerl said:

I hope a triple A dev notices that there's a niche market for asymmetrical horror games. F13, DbD, and white noise are great but they're shallow and plagued with issues.

It won't happen until enough of these games succeed. The days of AAA innovation are long over.  You have to blaze the trail before they'll walk it.

1 minute ago, MichaelMemers said:

It won't happen until enough of these games succeed. The days of AAA innovation are long over.  You have to blaze the trail before they'll walk it.

Which reminds me, I can't wait for COD battle royale, battlefield royale, paladins battlegrounds, red dead royale, etc.

Why is everyone yelling "DEDICATED SERVERS" from the roof tops? Does your internet suck that bad? Your connection issues are not going to be totally fixed by dedicated servers. What we really need, is the game to automatically switch to another host when a host quits. You have game data from at least three other players in the lobby. I play on a solid 340MBps down and 25MBps up connection. We need the game to pass to another player in the lobby when the host quits, not dedicated servers.

• Like 1

Just now, kepps-66 said:

Why is everyone yelling "DEDICATED SERVERS" from the roof tops? Does your internet suck that bad? Your connection issues are not going to be totally fixed by dedicated servers. What we really need, is the game to automatically switch to another host when a host quits. You have game data from at least three other players in the lobby. I play on a solid 340MBps down and 25MBps up connection. We need the game to pass to another player in the lobby when the host quits, not dedicated servers.

Host migration < dedicated servers

Not in this case. it is more like host migration>dedicated servers. You are talking about a very small dev team. They cost of dedicated servers would nearly bankrupt them.

Everyone keeps thumping how great an AAA developer would've been if they made this game.

And all I can think of is the lootbox system EA developed. And how likely it would've made it into this game. And how much more whiny teenerboppers would be playing this game if they knew someone like EA made it.

Edit: Also, all the new Jasons/Counselors/Map would likely not be free DLC.

Edited by Trident77
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Crispen_Glover said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and play it almost everyday, plus the attention to detail and fan service in the game is an F13 fans wet dream. So I am really grateful to Gun and IllFonic.  But when I see the constant bugs and glitches, and still no dedicated servers almost A YEAR after release I cant help but imagine what this game would be if it had the budget, polish, and manpower of a AAA studio. 

At the same time however I can easily see how a big developer would fuck up the game with stuff like loot boxes and micro-transactions. So in that sense I'm even more grateful that the people at Gun and ill give us so much shit for free.  

If this game were created by a AAA studio... it would be facing shutdown constantly. While the F13 franchise has a devoted fan base... it does not have the fan base to make or maintain a AAA studio. And as far as AAA studios go - there are MANY that have had in-game glitches and bugs from the get-go that are still present. I played an NCSoft game that still had many bugs/issues after 8 years. I think what has been created is great and am grateful that Gun/Illfonic took on this game. Is the game perfect.. Nope. Is it playable and fun... yes. I look forward to what is coming for this game and have patience and understanding instead of hyperbole and vitriol which it seems a few outspoken people thrive on. 

So back in the day (late 90s) I used to host a Half-Life/Day of Defeat/Counter-Strike server. Also people and clans use to rent servers. Gun needs to give us a host install and I will build a host box asap.

25 minutes ago, Crispen_Glover said:

If a AAA dev team developed F13 your feedback wouldn't mean shit! They would run the game in the ground and you would have to pay $$$ for all the DLC that you have mostly gotten for free. The game probably would only be made for your $$$ and not true to the series.

• Like 1

Just now, GrandMoff said:

So back in the day (late 90s) I used to host a Half-Life/Day of Defeat/Counter-Strike server. Also people and clans use to rent servers. Gun needs to give us a host install and I will build a host box asap.

Now that would be a good option to dedicated servers. I use to do the same thing back in the day for Q3:Arena for PC. If they released some sort of install to host on, I too, would have a box built by the end of the day!!

16 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Everyone keeps thumping how great an AAA developer would've been if they made this game.

And all I can think of is the lootbox system EA developed. And how likely it would've made it into this game. And how much more whiny teenerboppers would be playing this game if they knew someone like EA made it.

I agree, when Star Trek Online came out Atari published thengame. Atari was basically a small indie publisher who happen to own the legendary name Atari. At the onset there was a monthly subscription and no content was gated from  subscribers and every item could be earned in game.

After the game was successful Atari sold it to the Chinese company PWE and they made it F2P added lockboxes and all the other things Asian gamers love. Had PWE started the game it would have been lootboxes and costume packs from day 1 and never would have built the loyal fanbase it still has today even after the change.

Edited by AdmiralJT

Indie Devs = Craft Beer

Indie Devs = Try to please the consumer

AAA Devs= Bud light

AAA Devs = Try to please the share holder

• Like 1

AAA developers are all about creating content they think will sell millions of copies.

They won't touch something they think won't be financially profitable.

Friday The 13th: The Game is an indie game.

It runs like everything is underwater. Slow and choppy. Full of bugs.

Kane Hodder refusing to run as Jason during his career makes everything feel painfully slower.

I understand though. Must be really hard trying to keep your balance while running in platform boots. ? 

4 minutes ago, GrandMoff said:

Indie Devs = Craft Beer

Indie Devs = Try to please the consumer

AAA Devs= Bud light

AAA Devs = Try to please the share holder

I understand this, I just wish there was some happy middle where we get the care and soul of an indie dev but the shine and production value of a Triple A dev.

Wow obviously non of you whippersnappers had to live through Rainbow Six PC 1998. The game was unplayable. Not the current version of unplayable "it's buggy, sometimes I get killed and I don't wana, whaaaa!" The game was literally unplayable on like 80% of computers system, wouldn't even load or if it did crash right after opening splash screen. We tried everything to get it to run. Changed drivers and g-cards and edited *.ini files, we just wanted to play. A patch wasn't released for months. 

Now look at Ubisoft and Red Storm Entertainment.

So the game isn't perfect nothing ever is. Just get out there and try to have some fun.

There may have been some more polish, maybe faster updates. Yet the soul, attention to detail and micro-transactions wouldn't be good things.

Far as im aware. Sean Cunningham only offered the license to Gun because they were one of the few who offered a multiplayer affair.

The rest apparently wanted singleplayer like F13 NES or some variant of it.

• Like 1

AAA Dev = game would've been $60 and every added Jason, counselor and stage would've been $5 and $10 respectively. Better perks would've been in lootboxes. Maybe some of the weapons. The main benefit would've been servers.

• Like 2