Jump to content
Cokeyskunk

POLL: Would the Game Improve or Worsen if Jason's Traps were Almost Invisible?

POLL: Would the Game Improve or Worsen if Jason's Traps were Almost Invisible?  

48 members have voted

  1. 1. POLL: Would the Game Improve or Worsen if Jason's Traps were Almost Invisible?

    • Improve
      31
    • Worsen
      17


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Pazuzu said:

If you look at the original post he compares it to walking through a battlefield or small town covered in landmines and IEDs. That sounds a lot larger than say, a car or fuse box. 

 

@Trident77 - would you mind clarifying, Chief?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cokeyskunk This sounds like a really good idea to me.... but how do we disarm a trap if we cannot see it? A prompt of any kind coming up just because you are close to the trap is a bit of a give away to the trap anyway. If you cannot see it, you should not be able to disarm it. 
   As it is now, the leaves are Jason's way of camouflaging the trap... but we all know what they look like. If Jason was alive and living in the woods for twenty years, he would most likely be a very skilled woodsman, hunter, trapper. Having the trap blend in to the ground and making it invisible to the counselors who should not necessarily even suspect there is a trap there makes sense to me.... and of course, Jason knows the trap is there and will step around it, we should not need an animation of him stepping over or around it.

   There should be a chance to detect it when close by.. Should this be based on luck? Repair? Composure? Or perhaps a combination of these stats? A new perk or modification to an existing perk to help detect the trap should be added. Should crouching give a bonus to the chance to detect it? Finding one trap should also give a massive bonus when searching for any traps after that.
    A counselor that has detected the trap should be able to convey to another counselor that a trap is there as well... but how to do this? Perhaps just being close to the counselor that knows the trap is there for a couple seconds while both are near the trap will highlight it for both? Or just being with a counselor that knows the trap is there without any wait time at all should highlight it for the other counselor. Of course players can tell other players that there is a trap there and that player will know to check for it until they discover it... and experienced players will know which objectives are most often trapped and they will use whatever mechanic that helps them to detect the trap when they are in a spot that they think is trapped anyway.
    Once a counselor has detected the trap it should remain visible to them and then they should be able to disarm it normally. Any counselor that sees Jason place a trap would already know it is there and should have it automatically highlighted. You can also hear him laying a trap if you are nearby, this should give a bonus to detecting that specific trap as well.
    This will change play a bit and will be considered a buff to Jason and a nerf to counselors... but does add some realism to the game in my opinion. It may even get a few jump scares if a trap is used somewhere the player does not expect it to be.

    Fear is a hidden mechanic just because very few players would act accordingly... this just makes sense. We all know what the traps look like and do not act accordingly either... why would the counselors have any reason to suspect there is a trap around anything unless they: saw Jason place a trap or saw someone walk into a trap or walked into a trap themselves or have already discovered a trap. Even if this were to be implemented, players will use whatever mechanic is used to detect the traps where they suspect a trap is set. They will still find the traps unless they have a very small chance to detect them and it will only cost a few extra seconds and perhaps a perk slot if they choose to use a perk to help detect traps. Even though there are some complexities to this idea that I have already mentioned (and probably a few I have not thought of) I doubt it would change how people play very much in the end...
    But I like complex systems... it forces people to use their heads or fail miserably when their luck runs dry. This could improve how the game is played by adding some realism to it... but it is still hard to say until we get a chance to play it ourselves. I would play with this system implemented.... more than half the time I end up having to tank traps anyway to finish an objective.... and just because Jason gets a warning when a trap goes off, does not mean he will instantly be on you... If he is nowhere near you and just used morph, he will not be there until he regenerates morph... he could be busy with the battle Chads and unable to morph away due to consistent stuns, and soon, groups of vicious Victorias as well... he could be focused on a boat escaping and really wants that badge... and many other reasons that can happen in game.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

@Trident77 - would you mind clarifying, Chief?

I don't really see what the confusion here is about. I said you crouch walk to find the traps (the button prompt appears when you're near one), and Pazuzu goes on a rant. I also said the average person could also just equip Thick Skinned/Medic then go run around objectives to disarm them if they don't like playing minesweeper, and the dude still acts completely confused.

Honestly though, considering how he berates people as well as hyperbole anything he doesn't like, I lost interest in what he thought a long time ago. He's venting because a Jason buff was suggested, and I'm guessing he's getting angry because not a whole lot of people seem to be agreeing with him considering how the poll currently looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rework scout perk. You are be able to see Jason's traps more clear and be able to disable any trap. (You need a pocket knife or a QTE that depends on Fear level and repair). And include the old bonus ( trap escape bonus). With this, I think people will stop using medic thick skinned sucker punch trinity. A buff to Jason's traps needed as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ahab said:

@Cokeyskunk This sounds like a really good idea to me.... but how do we disarm a trap if we cannot see it? A prompt of any kind coming up just because you are close to the trap is a bit of a give away to the trap anyway. If you cannot see it, you should not be able to disarm it. 
   As it is now, the leaves are Jason's way of camouflaging the trap... but we all know what they look like. If Jason was alive and living in the woods for twenty years, he would most likely be a very skilled woodsman, hunter, trapper. Having the trap blend in to the ground and making it invisible to the counselors who should not necessarily even suspect there is a trap there makes sense to me.... and of course, Jason knows the trap is there and will step around it, we should not need an animation of him stepping over or around it.

   There should be a chance to detect it when close by.. Should this be based on luck? Repair? Composure? Or perhaps a combination of these stats? A new perk or modification to an existing perk to help detect the trap should be added. Should crouching give a bonus to the chance to detect it? Finding one trap should also give a massive bonus when searching for any traps after that.
    A counselor that has detected the trap should be able to convey to another counselor that a trap is there as well... but how to do this? Perhaps just being close to the counselor that knows the trap is there for a couple seconds while both are near the trap will highlight it for both? Or just being with a counselor that knows the trap is there without any wait time at all should highlight it for the other counselor. Of course players can tell other players that there is a trap there and that player will know to check for it until they discover it... and experienced players will know which objectives are most often trapped and they will use whatever mechanic that helps them to detect the trap when they are in a spot that they think is trapped anyway.
    Once a counselor has detected the trap it should remain visible to them and then they should be able to disarm it normally. Any counselor that sees Jason place a trap would already know it is there and should have it automatically highlighted. You can also hear him laying a trap if you are nearby, this should give a bonus to detecting that specific trap as well.
    This will change play a bit and will be considered a buff to Jason and a nerf to counselors... but does add some realism to the game in my opinion. It may even get a few jump scares if a trap is used somewhere the player does not expect it to be.

    Fear is a hidden mechanic just because very few players would act accordingly... this just makes sense. We all know what the traps look like and do not act accordingly either... why would the counselors have any reason to suspect there is a trap around anything unless they: saw Jason place a trap or saw someone walk into a trap or walked into a trap themselves or have already discovered a trap. Even if this were to be implemented, players will use whatever mechanic is used to detect the traps where they suspect a trap is set. They will still find the traps unless they have a very small chance to detect them and it will only cost a few extra seconds and perhaps a perk slot if they choose to use a perk to help detect traps. Even though there are some complexities to this idea that I have already mentioned (and probably a few I have not thought of) I doubt it would change how people play very much in the end...
    But I like complex systems... it forces people to use their heads or fail miserably when their luck runs dry. This could improve how the game is played by adding some realism to it... but it is still hard to say until we get a chance to play it ourselves. I would play with this system implemented.... more than half the time I end up having to tank traps anyway to finish an objective.... and just because Jason gets a warning when a trap goes off, does not mean he will instantly be on you... If he is nowhere near you and just used morph, he will not be there until he regenerates morph... he could be busy with the battle Chads and unable to morph away due to consistent stuns, and soon, groups of vicious Victorias as well... he could be focused on a boat escaping and really wants that badge... and many other reasons that can happen in game.
 

Dude -- you are NUTS! But in a good way!  :D 

I love the way you analyze each possible scenario and work out how they might or might not work. 

Food for thought with this game is highly coveted. (Even if it DID take a long time to read it hearing it in my mind in Boris Karloff's haunting voice. -- a la, "The Monster Mash")

Kudos, sir.

20 hours ago, Gummybish said:

It would actually make the scout perk much more useful. 

 

7 hours ago, The Gunslinger said:

Rework scout perk. You are be able to see Jason's traps more clear and be able to disable any trap. (You need a pocket knife or a QTE that depends on Fear level and repair). And include the old bonus ( trap escape bonus). With this, I think people will stop using medic thick skinned sucker punch trinity. A buff to Jason's traps needed as well.

This is REALLY starting to get interesting -- especially when we bring the rising importance of the Scout perk into play.

If Scout could be amended to allow Jason's traps (within, say, a five-foot radius) glow red -- like Jason's Sense ability, that would add a whole new dynamic to the game. 

Instantly, Scouts would become highly important in a coordinated game. They would also have to keep their Scout abilities secret, lest Jason seeks them out first.

This is really evolving. I like it. :D

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make the traps camo match whatever they are in proximity to in the environment, and for the counselors with the scout perk, make it like the pointman class in Rising Storm 2 Vietnam where you can spot booby traps, like the M82 mine here in the pic, counselors would see the trap in red or something: maxresdefault.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

As it stands, it's PRETTY obvious when Jason lays down a trap for his victims. 

Why is a large pile of leaves better than seeing the trap there? It's supposed to be "hidden" under the leaves, but the leaves are quite prominent.

Suppose the traps were MUCH more difficult to see -- to where they allllllmossst blended into the ground?

I think that would help with immersion. Right now, we're all on the hunt for leaf piles. The counselors in the films wouldn't be. 

They'd just STEP IN THE TRAP!  :blink:

Of course, there are at least two schools of thought on this:

  1. Immersion/Helplessness - Not being able to see the traps Jason lays would make the game a scarier experience, knowing we could get trapped anywhere at any time and have to deal with it as best as we can, just as a counselor would.
  2. Making Jason Too OP - many would argue that the balance already leans too far in Jason's favor, and this would only make matters worse and greatly lessen their chances of escape/survival.

So, what do you think? Improve (make the change) or Worsen (fine as-is)?

A good idea. I want 2x pocketknifes ;)  Other ways of escaping are needed, not invisible traps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

I find placing a trap where the counselors don't expect one is enough to catch them in one. 

Yeah. I have ran into a few of those. Always a WTF moment...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blablabla said:

A good idea. I want 2x pocketknifes ;)  Other ways of escaping are needed, not invisible traps. 

no more pocketknives, the october patch ruined the game with too many knives. Jason needs snare traps and small boards with nails that can be placed indoors (limited to 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redcat345 said:

no more pocketknives, the october patch ruined the game with too many knives. Jason needs snare traps and small boards with nails that can be placed indoors (limited to 2)

If there are invisible traps, it will also be a storm and they will also withdraw it to the initial state.

By the way... https://fridaythe13th.gamepedia.com/Scout   ...and so they will escape from invisible traps :D . With this perk, you can free yourself from the trap faster than you can use Morph xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think they we are used to where mostly everyone places them. Sometimes they are really camouflaged and You can hardly see them, Then they jump out and get ya'. I think they work ok now , not great, but just because it would be nice to have free reign on both sides while using them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the real worlwhen you set a trap they should be invisible. An animal or person that is very familiar with the are should not be able to detect that there is a trap set if it's done properly. 

If they were invisible in the game it make trapping doors, stairs, trails, and other traffic areas more viable. As it is now the only time traps in these areas work are when it's very dark, or you are chasing someone and they don't look ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel it would be a slight improvement in game play.  Not so much for the objectives, people will soon learn to crouch and knife check the spot.

However, as Jason I can be a dick and put them in doorways nearby objectives. I would LOVE for those to be a touch more hidden. But to be fair, most people do not expect those and I get a fair amount of "WTH?!?!"' When I snag someone in one of those. Good times. xD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 12:10 PM, Cokeyskunk said:

As it stands, it's PRETTY obvious when Jason lays down a trap for his victims. 

Why is a large pile of leaves better than seeing the trap there? It's supposed to be "hidden" under the leaves, but the leaves are quite prominent.

Suppose the traps were MUCH more difficult to see -- to where they allllllmossst blended into the ground?

I think that would help with immersion. Right now, we're all on the hunt for leaf piles. The counselors in the films wouldn't be. 

They'd just STEP IN THE TRAP!  :blink:

Of course, there are at least two schools of thought on this:

  1. Immersion/Helplessness - Not being able to see the traps Jason lays would make the game a scarier experience, knowing we could get trapped anywhere at any time and have to deal with it as best as we can, just as a counselor would.
  2. Making Jason Too OP - many would argue that the balance already leans too far in Jason's favor, and this would only make matters worse and greatly lessen their chances of escape/survival.

So, what do you think? Improve (make the change) or Worsen (fine as-is)?

The balance is suppose to weight very heavy for Jason. He is suppose to be feared, and avoided at all cost. I think he needs to be more OP. People get on the game and play as if they are suppose to rip Jason’s balls off and feed them to him. It has gotten so bad on PS4, that no one hardly helps with fixing stuff. They just run for the sweater while two people jump through windows until they die and they kick Jason’s ass and kill him. Jason should be the real bad ass, not Tommy so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 8:12 PM, Gummybish said:

It would actually make the scout perk much more useful. 

I'm still not going to waste my Perk slot for that abomination 

P.S I Voted Worsen because I like the Game as it is now, I don't really want to see any other buffs, Other than if those buffs would actually Make Jason and Counselors a lot more unique. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SmugDoka said:

I'm still not going to waste my Perk slot for that abomination 

I'm cackling. Same tbh. 

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gummybish said:

I'm cackling. Same tbh. 

tenor.gif

Nothing can defeat my Combo of Restful,Marathon and Thick Skinned or Sneaky, Bitches need to be quicker and Have more Stamina, I mean if they are going to camp to have sex, They may as well Have good stamina for it!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cokeyskunk There are those that think I am nuttier than others... But only I realize just how frickin' whacko I really am.
            Thanks.... I too think in the voice of Karloff.... or as his friends called him.... William..... (Boris Karloff was just his stage name). I wonder if Chris Pratt is his grandson... or great grandson... or great, great grandson.
     Karloff rocks..... even 49 years after his death (R.I.P.) and beyond!!!!
                                                                                                             5ad8dbb241cf9_Hehadnoname.jpg.50ddcadf4da3077e48bf1598520ed5e1.jpg
      I had to look up the scout perk after reading more in this thread.... I keep selling that one and forgot what it did exactly. Thanks @blablabla for posting that convenient link.
      Also... I knew a guy years back named Bob Loblaw..... that's not you is it? If you say his name really fast it sounds just like yours... If you say his name three times really fast, people will think you are drunk.

     Scout would be the perfect perk for adding a bonus to a detect traps chance. How many times do we all run into a trap placed somewhere it is not expected simply because we are not thinking to look there.... the camera angle behind both Jason and counselor hides what is in front of you and if you are not looking.... SNAP!!! Looking down in front of you destroys the rest of your field of view. Hard to play this game looking down at the ground in front of you constantly.... just like you will constantly bump into things or people if you walk around looking down constantly in real life. Detecting traps in this way could also put an end to trolls leaving bear traps in sneaky places to trap other counselors.... stepped in a few of those last night for the first time in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ahab said:

@Cokeyskunk There are those that think I am nuttier than others... But only I realize just how frickin' whacko I really am.
            Thanks.... I too think in the voice of Karloff.... or as his friends called him.... William..... (Boris Karloff was just his stage name). I wonder if Chris Pratt is his grandson... or great grandson... or great, great grandson.
     Karloff rocks..... even 49 years after his death (R.I.P.) and beyond!!!!
                                                                                                             5ad8dbb241cf9_Hehadnoname.jpg.50ddcadf4da3077e48bf1598520ed5e1.jpg
      I had to look up the scout perk after reading more in this thread.... I keep selling that one and forgot what it did exactly. Thanks @blablabla for posting that convenient link.
      Also... I knew a guy years back named Bob Loblaw..... that's not you is it? If you say his name really fast it sounds just like yours... If you say his name three times really fast, people will think you are drunk.

     Scout would be the perfect perk for adding a bonus to a detect traps chance. How many times do we all run into a trap placed somewhere it is not expected simply because we are not thinking to look there.... the camera angle behind both Jason and counselor hides what is in front of you and if you are not looking.... SNAP!!! Looking down in front of you destroys the rest of your field of view. Hard to play this game looking down at the ground in front of you constantly.... just like you will constantly bump into things or people if you walk around looking down constantly in real life. Detecting traps in this way could also put an end to trolls leaving bear traps in sneaky places to trap other counselors.... stepped in a few of those last night for the first time in a while.

I just tried to write that there are more interesting things and things that are waiting for your chance. There are many ideas for improving the game / matches. The developers' attention is the most important thing now, because when The Salty Mines appears, hackers / cheats will be a problem. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, blablabla said:

I just tried to write that there are more interesting things and things that are waiting for your chance. There are many ideas for improving the game / matches. The developers' attention is the most important thing now, because when The Salty Mines appears, hackers / cheats will be a problem. :o

    I cannot and will not argue that. Hackers and cheats are already a problem... they may well be a much larger problem after the salt mines are introduced... but there are probably many points about the salt mines we do not yet know, which makes the effect the salt mines will have more unpredictable for us.
    I do not know if players are actually being banned... but I do not doubt that the report section has a great many reports that are mistaking someone for hacking or cheating as well. I see many people in game that scream "Hacker!!" at every little thing they don't like... but hackers and cheats should be reported and hopefully banned.

   @Cokeyskunk I run into this problem often, but in quite a few games just last night I ran into players setting bear traps up for their team mates to unexpectedly stumble into... and many did stumble into them with Jason right behind them. Each time this happened the unlucky player died at the hands of Jason before they could use a med spray. One of them that I talked to thought he was justified doing it because a Jason player inadvertently did step in one (what are the odds?).... I do not see this as a justified tactic when it is costing teammates their lives. This made me think of your trap detection ideas.
   The ability for a counselor to see a counselor bear trap that has been set through their own body or through a wall that they are close to would help to stop this behavior. Being it is a trap set by a team mate, I do not think there should be a chance to detect it, the trap should just be highlighted and visible when the player gets close.... say ten feet away?
   Constantly looking down to be able to see a counselor set trap severely limits your field of view and is far riskier than running into the occasional trap.... yet this is the "advice" the trap setters told me that everybody else should be doing as they should not have to warn their team mates... their team mates should just watch where they are going. Their stupidity was making my brain cry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...