Jump to content
megaweenieman

Still too many pocket knives

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

What is the point in using your knife when you can easily tank the trap. You don’t even know how many times I’ve eaten the trap as Tiffany then had Deb fix the box and I body block the fuse box so Jason can’t destroy it, and if Jason tries grabbing me then I still have my knife to use...that is more than enough time for Deb to make the call the the police. It’s smart strategy to tank the trap and have your knife at the ready for protecting the fuse box. It gets and objective done and I wouldn’t call it “selfish”

   It depends on the Jason player. I have no problem getting through groups in front of the fuse box.... body blocking included. Sometimes another simple strategy can be employed by Jason... go for the caller. Personally, I destroy every door in the phone house and every window, while taking note of the location of the phone in the house in each match. I also gather any knives that happen to be there while waiting for shift to charge. Most Jason players seem to fight over the fuse box and when counselors are in groups, it is very rare some one is with the caller to protect them... an easy swirly kill in the toilet beside the phone as I have previously took out the bathroom door.... so body blocking is easy countered.
   Plus.. I never try a grab kill at the fuse box for reasons of countering the strategy you use... a lot of other people try the same thing and grab kills can take too long.. gotta smash that box after all.
   I can only remember one time that body blocking did work against me and the cops were called, but the player that did it died in front of the fuse box... along with several other players that were trying to fight me. Although the fights over the fuse box can sometimes get the cops called, against a Jason player that is skilled at fighting groups... it can cost four or more counselors to do it. I recommend stealth... its not just a stat in the game, it is also an effective strategy that can be used by anybody playing any counselor, some just make more sound pings than others.
   If the cops are called while I am Jason, it will be because someone used their knife on my trap almost every time. Never underestimate the sneakiness. There are of course a few mitigating circumstances.....
   Sometimes I have bad timing and hear the trap going off just as I finish morphing somewhere else.... these things can happen to the best of us.
   If there is a car escaping and only a few players left when the trap on the fuse box is set off, I will go for the car. Particularly if I already know it is the four seater... there is a risk of half the lobby escaping in that car... this is a calculated risk... so... this can be a free phone call for players that tanked a trap. But if shift has just been used, going for the car is counter productive... to the fuse box then!
   If I am going for a boat that is escaping... then you will get a free call to the police or car escape.... it is my only remaining badge for Jason.

   Personally, if I have a knife at all, it will get used on a trap at an objective, unless I get grabbed by the big guy before I can use it on one. If I find the fuse box and no one is around, the trap gets silently dealt with whether I have the fuse or not. I will then inform everyone I can as to where the fuse box is and that the trap has been dealt with... of course, I am careful that Jason does not hear me say it. You would be surprised how often this works if you and the person with the fuse can both be careful and keep Jason unaware of your strategy.
   I will always go for the fuse box as a counselor unless I run into another repair part while searching, then my focus will shift to that instead. I prefer boat escapes when I can get them, but calling the cops can lead to anyone and everyone escaping, not just a couple of other players that happen to be close to you. After putting in a part, my focus shifts back to the fuse box. Any time I see the fuse on the map, it becomes my new focus... I will try to save a knife for the trap at the fuse box if I have one until it is dealt with... if I have two, or the greatest of rarities... 3 pocket knives, I will still use them on traps unless I get grabbed first. When playing with someone else who is willing to take care of the trap at the fuse box, I can feel free to use mine on any trap I need to. I never use pocket knives to confront Jason as I will only attack him when absolutely necessary... or if some one really, really wants to try and kill Jason... but I still want the cops called (if possible) before the attempt on the big guy's unlife. Sometimes though, I get grabbed and my precious pocket knife is taken away from me... forcing me to tank traps after that, but first I have to lose the big guy.
   In those games when I have no pocket knives... I ask others if they have one and are willing to use it before considering tanking a trap.... unless I want to distract Jason from someone else.

   The number of pocket knives in game right now is fine.... and if more people used them on traps and just stayed away from Jason instead of getting in his face, there would be a lot more survivors in every game that is played. Jasons with -traps would be extremely difficult to play if more knives were used on traps, but not impossible and I would still be using part 4 and part 7 Jason over the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It only seems like there aren't enough pocket knives because speed-looting, open-door-leaving douchebags are usually hoarding two or three each while guys who are trying to complete objectives for the team are searching for parts.

These speed-looters also usually pick up the fuse and have no intention of doing anything with it.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DorianRo said:

Its not necessary IMO 

Ok. If you think it's wise to announce to Jason that you're at a certain objective, be my guest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gtdjlocker311 said:

It only seems like there aren't enough pocket knives because speed-looting, open-door-leaving douchebags are usually hoarding two or three each while guys who are trying to complete objectives for the team are searching for parts.

These speed-looters also usually pick up the fuse and have no intention of doing anything with it.

Most of the speed looters are little kids in QP, they leave doors open, never get parts, they just try troll Jason and quit when they are killed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NytmereZ said:

Most of the speed looters are little kids in QP, they leave doors open, never get parts, they just try troll Jason and quit when they are killed.

Yep, and most are such crappy players they still get killed quickly even with all the pocket knives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THE real question is who thinks calling Jarvis is too easy lol plus why does the phone still work when the power is off lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nowjoshua said:

THE real question is who thinks calling Jarvis is too easy lol plus why does the phone still work when the power is off lol 

Phones don't require power...

Kids these days...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

Phones don't require power...

Kids these days...

Technically they don't have giant fuses either

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Phones don't require power...

Kids these days...

Now they do. My phone is through the cable company, so it doesn't work when the power is out. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 4-5 pocket knives on a map, using them on traps isn’t optimal use. Maybe if there is only 1 trap at an objective, and you can 100% guarantee a perfect fix (even if re-rolling you might fail 1 check), but if there are 2 how likely are you to have that 2nd knife? You’ll have to tank 1 anyway. Not to mention if there’s 3 traps.

In a coordinated team however, there’s just no point. Split pushing objectives, among other strategies makes it unnecessary to use knives on traps at all, especially given that there’s much more spray on the map particularly with Medic. Everyone’s better off keeping their PK for a 2nd life.

PS: Even if a trap has been silently disarmed, it will still show as triggered on Jason’s map. All he has do it is periodically check it to see whether progress has been made on any obj.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

This is definitely a good veteran topic though.

When do you eat the trap? And when do you disarm it?

I definitely eat traps. But most of the time it's never risky at all. I'll either do it as soon as he Morphs away from the fuse box or cars at the start of the round - with or without the fuse/parts. I just wanna burn his trap. It's a good strategy too. Only Part 2 can really counter it.

Otherwise I typically only eat traps if there's a group around and I know being grabbed won't matter because someone will knock me loose if I do.

I see players try to eat traps and repair things when it's down to 3 counselors and two of them are hiding under beds...People seem to think they'll have time before Jason shows up. It never ends well.

Eating traps definitely works better if you do it before Jason has Morphed to all objectives. After that 2 minute or so mark it becomes more dangerous.

It's also quite the "wtf" moment for Jason when his traps get eaten so quickly after he places them too. Do you go back to objective A or do you go trap C before they get that done too? 

I usually do the exact same thing. I usually play with a small group in QP and whenever theyre Jason they always know when a trap gets set off its usually me. Ive gotten into the habit of utilizing hiding spots early, which a lot of people dont. Very few people realie that if youre in a hiding spot before Jason uses sense, he wont see the cabin light up (This of course changes when he has Rage). I LOVE spawning at long cabins with a bathroom when an objective is near. Just leave a window open and lock the doors, then hide until Jason shows up to trap, and morphs away. After that just eat the traps and either run, or hide in the same spot to drive him crazy :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game is not fine right now, but too many pocketknives is not the problem atm with this game IMO. seem about right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThePunkPirate said:

I usually do the exact same thing. I usually play with a small group in QP and whenever theyre Jason they always know when a trap gets set off its usually me. Ive gotten into the habit of utilizing hiding spots early, which a lot of people dont. Very few people realie that if youre in a hiding spot before Jason uses sense, he wont see the cabin light up (This of course changes when he has Rage). I LOVE spawning at long cabins with a bathroom when an objective is near. Just leave a window open and lock the doors, then hide until Jason shows up to trap, and morphs away. After that just eat the traps and either run, or hide in the same spot to drive him crazy :D 

Exactly how it's done.

There's a time to eat traps, and there's a time to disarm them silently.

If there's less than 4 counselors left alive, tanking at an objective only leads to Jason being on you in short order. Splitting Jason on objectives (via eating traps) is extremely rare in Quick Play. Shit...communication of any form is rare in Quick Play. 

But hey, I only use pocket knives to disarm traps and survive on a regular basis...What do I know? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

But hey, I only use pocket knives to disarm traps and survive on a regular basis...What do I know? 

Not much tbh. 4 counselors is plenty to get an objective completed without silent disarm. Split pushing doesn’t require extreme coordination...simply knowledge that one objective is already being pushed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nowjoshua said:

THE real question is who thinks calling Jarvis is too easy lol plus why does the phone still work when the power is off lol 

   Calling Jarvis can be hard... sometimes. When the power has been knocked out, it can sometimes be hard to find it and get it fixed and call Tommy before Jason knocks out the power again. I have seen many Jason players that have an obsession with knocking out the power... this can often lead to Tommy not being called at all. On the other hand, sometimes the power box is on the house with the radio, making it much easier to get done.

   Phone lines and power lines are two different things.

@Vaderspupil You are correct... Now they do... if you have your phone package through the cable company. Back in the 80's when this game is set... they did not. My ex thought it was a good idea to get our phone through the cable company a few years back, right up until we had a blackout.... then, she finally agreed it was a bad idea. Many phone modems have batteries now though, but I am not sure how long your phone would work when a blackout occurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Not much tbh. 4 counselors is plenty to get an objective completed without silent disarm. Split pushing doesn’t require extreme coordination...simply knowledge that one objective is already being pushed. 

If you say so.

I don't just pull these experiences out of my ass. I've played the game plenty. I know when I'm 1 of 4 counselors left, and I'm alone at one of the cars and I'm able to disarm a trap, repair the car, and leave, it's wise to do it. If I step in the trap like a dumbass (and for no reason other than to hang onto a pocket knife I likely won't need?), Jason is coming right over and my chance to start the car is gone.

In Private Matches with people I'm communicating with, yeah, it's a whole different story. But it would be stupid to tank a trap when you can easily and silently escape. There's no "if" when it comes to perfect repairs when you're using someone like Deb, either. So there's zero risk when you disarm with a pocket knife. Tank it and you're telling Jason "OVER HERE!"

If you really think that's smart to do with 4 counselors remaining in QUICK PLAY - I can't help you. You're hopeless.

(lmao...I just realized this dummy is from Australia. Yeah...I'm sure QP on Aus Servers (only on PS4, no less) and Offline Bots gives you a good sample pool of what gameplay is like :lol: It all makes sense now. Say no more. We're not even playing the same game. Come talk to me when you've played in some real servers.)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

If you say so.

I don't just pull these experiences out of my ass. I've played the game plenty. I know when I'm 1 of 4 counselors left, and I'm alone at one of the cars and I'm able to disarm a trap, repair the car, and leave, it's wise to do it. If I step in the trap like a dumbass (and for no reason other than to hang onto a pocket knife I likely won't need?), Jason is coming right over and my chance to start the car is gone.

In Private Matches with people I'm communicating with, yeah, it's a whole different story. But it would be stupid to tank a trap when you can easily and silently escape. There's no "if" when it comes to perfect repairs when you're using someone like Deb, either. So there's zero risk when you disarm with a pocket knife. Tank it and you're telling Jason "OVER HERE!"

If you really think that's smart to do with 4 counselors remaining in QUICK PLAY - I can't help you. You're hopeless.

Ive tanked plenty of  times and have escaped before .I find it better to use the knife personally against Jason as you have to get past the repairing state without messing up also .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Gloved One said:

Ive tanked plenty of  times and have escaped before .I find it better to use the knife personally against Jason as you have to get past the repairing state without messing up also .

 

It's easy to repair without messing up when you use Deb. 2-3 BIG zones.

Scenario 1: You're 1 of 4 counselors left. At the car - Driver door is trapped, TANK the trap, Jason shows up, grabs you, burns your pocket knife...then what? You're just delaying the inevitable...

Scenario 2: Still 1 of 4. Still at the car - Driver door is trapped, disarm silently using pocket knife, perfect repair because I don't use dumb counselors, start the car (already better than Scenario 1, now), Jason Morphs, maybe a good Morph, maybe bad. If good, juke and escape, or if a bad Morph, honk the horn trolling Jason, and again, escape.

Scenario 2 is better in every single way.

Scenario 1 works in a perfect world where Jason is constantly distracted. But tanking a trap when there's only a few counselors left will lead to your death 9 times out of 10.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

It's easy to repair without messing up when you use Deb. 2-3 BIG zones.

Scenario 1: You're 1 of 4 counselors left. At the car - Driver door is trapped, TANK the trap, Jason shows up, grabs you, burns your pocket knife...then what? You're just delaying the inevitable...

Scenario 2: Still 1 of 4. Still at the car - Driver door is trapped, disarm silently using pocket knife, perfect repair because I don't use dumb counselors, start the car (already better than Scenario 1, now), Jason Morphs, maybe a good Morph, maybe bad. If good, juke and escape, or if a bad Morph, honk the horn trolling Jason, and again, escape.

Scenario 2 is better in every single way.

Scenario 1 works in a perfect world where Jason is constantly distracted. But tanking a trap when there's only a few counselors left will lead to your death 9 times out of 10.

A Med spray really changes Scenario One up ,even with the likes of someone like Lachapa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the winter update how many pocket knives would normally spawn? I like it how it is now and I'm just curious if that's how many there were prior. I honestly don't remember people complaining about pocket knives prior to the nerf with multi traps, so maybe the issue you're having is with Jason and not counselors and their pocket knives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

If you really think that's smart to do with 4 counselors remaining in QUICK PLAY - I can't help you. You're hopeless.

Maybe if there is only 1 trap at an objective, and you can 100% guarantee a perfect fix. Did you read that part in my other post? Or are you selectively ignoring parts? 

Unless of course you are just hoarding 2-3 pocket knives to waste them all on traps, and even then Jason may just show up anyway or notice his traps are showing up disarmed on the map.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Gloved One said:

A Med spray really changes Scenario One up ,even with the likes of someone like Lachapa.

No. It really doesn't. Thick Skinned negates the need for a spray since you can tank a trap without going into a limp state anyways...

It doesn't change the fact that Jason is now on your ass and your pocket knife will prolong your life maybe a minute or two.

@Tommy86 - I'm obviously talking about a scenario late game, where there's only 1 trap between you and the objective (which is often the case). If there's multiple traps, you're better off just avoiding it than trying to tank one. It's not likely that EVERY objective will have multiple traps (unless you're against J2). So just go try another objective, or at that point, commit to surviving the full 20 minutes.

Tanking traps late game is only effective if there's others around to help you. It's a last ditch effort. If you're alone, it's just asking for death. Jason shows up and chases you until he eventually gets you - bye bye knife - grabs you again, you're dead. That pocket knife does absolutely DICK to help you escape when you call Jason over to the one objective that might save you. He's not gonna leave it. You're not getting another shot at it.

Here's another scenario...3 Counselors left. Cars are out of the picture for whatever reason (already gone, dick locked parts in inaccessible rooms, etc)...2 traps on the fuse box. Someone tanks the trap - You really think they're getting the repair done and calling the cops, even if all 3 counselors are there to help? Let alone surviving until the cops show up? Unlikely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely find one. Probably 1/4 matches I’ll find a knife and feel incredibly lucky. Item dispersion is still a problem as the same people frequently find 2, sometimes in the same cabin still smh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

(lmao...I just realized this dummy is from Australia. Yeah...I'm sure QP on Aus Servers (only on PS4, no less) and Offline Bots gives you a good sample pool of what gameplay is like :lol: It all makes sense now. Say no more. We're not even playing the same game. Come talk to me when you've played in some real servers.)

Just when I think you can’t sink any lower...

Who says I play nothing but QP? How do you know what Australian players are like? How do you know what my friends play like? 

Of course it’s always the same, baseless BS from you. Contradictory no less since you clearly admit your huge QP sample pool is full of bad players, which you just love to base your experience on.

Knowledge of the game and strategy does not require huge sample size. Only requires playing against good players to see what works and what doesn’t. If it works against skilled high level it will most certainly work against everyone else.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

No. It really doesn't. Thick Skinned negates the need for a spray since you can tank a trap without going into a limp state anyways...

It doesn't change the fact that Jason is now on your ass and your pocket knife will prolong your life maybe a minute or two.Unlikely.

 

Never used Thick Skin and never will as Lachapa.I use the pocket knife with the Start up car faster perk on and escape possibly with Jason on me .I fully agree on Scenario three though .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...