megaweenieman

Still too many pocket knives

20 hours ago, Nougat said:

There are 3 pocket knives, 4 when Tommy arrives. I tested it over the span of hours and hours with a group of friends in private. 1 will spawn at a random camp fire, or one of the designated spots that aren't marked on map as a camp fire (example: the boat dock by the main road on Jarvis house). The other 2 pocket knives are found in drawers. The 4th pocket knife spawns in when Tommy Arrives on the scene.

4 pocket knives is not a lot at all, but not too little either. It is balanced. 

Not for nothing but I can confirm many times over that it's 4 + Tommy with knives. Not sure if it's every match or not, but numerous times since the patch I've had 4 + Tommy with knives.

I'm not bitching. Just letting you know.

19 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

Bad strategy unless you know Jason is heavily (chasing car or boat) distracted.

Scenario: Nothing is really going on and you eat a trap, Jason shows up and either kills you or now knows to patrol that objective more attentively - often leading to that objective being ruled out. Double fucked if that objective is really close to another (like on Packanack).

Disarming with a pocket knife is a better approach most of the time.

You eat traps either when Jason is distracted enough OR, when he's right there and you have some backup around. But if Jason isn't already there, calling him over is often a bad choice.

Disagree. In private matches anyway. I'm running Vanessa and tanking all day. Maybe the exception would be if you have a repair character at the phone house. 

Just now, malloymk said:

Disagree. In private matches anyway. 

You're always in private matches lol. Did you know there are a Nightmare on Crystal Lake game inside this one?  You just need to hit the button that says "Quick Play", you wait a little and you're in. 

Me and random argued last night over tanking a trap.

He drops a med spray by the trap near the phone box and tells me to tank the trap

Me. "Fuck that you do it".

Him.. "Bro, my characters too dumb to fix it quickly.

Me.  "Im dumb too".

Him "Bro this game needs rock, paper scissor emotes for shit like this"

Dude cracked me up so i decided to tank it ..     Started to fix the phone box.  Jason showed up and killed me and then killed him a few seconds later.  

Hahahaaa..

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PlayerAgainstTheMachine said:

You're always in private matches lol. Did you know there are a Nightmare on Crystal Lake game inside this one?  You just need to hit the button that says "Quick Play", you wait a little and you're in. 

I play QP sometimes. Most of the time I can't get through a game though. So then I usually just host a lobby and wait to get at least 5 in.

1 minute ago, HuDawg said:

He drops a med spray by the trap near the phone box and tells me to tank the trap

Me.  "Im dumb too".

Dude cracked me up so i decided to tank it ..     Started to fix the phone box.  Jason showed up and killed me and then killed him a few seconds later.  

Hahahaaa..

That last Haahaaa seemed a bit hollow, Are you still okay? Are you suffering from Chronic Phone Fixing Syndrome? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Me.  "Im dumb too".

Hahahaaa..

At least he could talk to you and wasn't just spazzing out on the flashlight. I end up whacking them with a bat to get them to stop and then just tank it, so I don't have to deal with that shit anymore.. F13 problems...

5 minutes ago, malloymk said:

I play QP sometimes. Most of the time I can't get through a game though. So then I usually just host a lobby and wait to get at least 5 in.

You play Quick Play?  (Which sometimes it isn't that quick by the way). Cause everytime I get online and I see who's playing F13 you are always in private xD. 

It’s great where it’s at now , I never find a pocket knife and I still survive most matches. When I’m Jason the pocket knifes don’t phase me just set more traps and guess what their next step is. 

It is perfect as it is. With the jason buffs, knives are a valuable tool for counsellors not just to stay alive but to get things done. There are max 5 per match, so Jason can encounter less. There are not so many knives that counsellors dont have to work for their escapes, which was the problem before when there were 9 or more knives and shotguns per match. 

The amount now is perfect. Jasons grab is a one hit kill action, so knives need to be in play to provide some protection to this and keep Jasons gameplay more versatile. Its niether too easy nor too hard for Jason in the average game.

2 hours ago, Kodiak said:

Haha to be honest you're one of the few people who actually got me that night; I was running across the bridge on Higgins to go and fix the car when you caught me (I had the last car part). From what I remember, at the beginning of the match after you spotted me you chased me for most of the match until I ran to other counselors. Then you chased me out of the phone house, encountered Tommy (?) and then chased me on the bridge again lol. I didn't have enough stamina to jog to the next house :( Nobody used stalk against me, I was expecting shift grabs out of nowhere 99% of the time. 

It must have been one of the rare times I played Jason this last weekend. I wanted the last of the Tommy tapes and I don't like playing as Jason when I'm high :P

4 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Kill early before they have the chance to find them.. If you are morphing all over setting traps for 5mins then you have to deal with knives later...

Focus on killing too much in the early part, and they'll fix stuff.

2 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Focus on killing too much in the early part, and they'll fix stuff.

Agree, but if you wait too long to start applying pressure you will let the game get away anyways...

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Agree, but if you wait too long to start applying pressure you will let the game get away anyways...

Setting up the stage usually takes about 2 minutes on average. You know, the basic stuff. Properly trapping objectives, smashing a power generator you might come across, breaking a window or door here and there, picking up knives you find along the way. Maybe scaring off a counselor or two.

Now, I'm all in for a good spawn kill, but that only works if you catch the counselor completely off guard. Otherwise, a good counselor will have you waste those 2 minutes chasing after him with no guarantee that you'll even get the kill.

Given these circumstances, might as well wait for your shift to charge up before going full agro on the other players.

4 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

You eat traps either when Jason is distracted enough OR, when he's right there and you have some backup around. But if Jason isn't already there, calling him over is often a bad choice.

I'll do it to be the distraction if I know the team is about to make a play on the phone elsewhere. Jason pops over and I then try to keep his attention. I do not mind if Jason kills me as long as that call gets made. 

• Like 1

I'd say the amount of knives are fine right now. The counselors need something to combat Jason's only strength...which is grabbing/shift grabbing and even then...its only a temporary counter.

Counselors are still superior in melee and in groups combined with any meds, even against weapon strength Jasons. Swift attacker allows them to swing through his attacks, regardless if he hits or not, it does nothing to them meanwhile it stuns him depending on the weapon and if not...it damages him. Counselors literally suffer no effect from his attacks unless they start limping and that doesn't happen against a perked up counselor if Jason is lucky enough to land a couple swings.

Now if they ever change up Jason's melee hit box from the weapon itself to whatever is in front of him, along with other fixes...then who knows what happens.

It's always going to feel like too many pocket knives when dealing with players that can effectively delay/kite Jason.  I had 3 games couple nights ago where I had to survive the night due to blotched J-Kills, I didn't even have to use my PK to make it though.  After chasing one counselor for about 4-5 mins, only to be knifed in the neck when you finally grab them, you'll feel like even one pocket knife is too many.

I just did a match as Jason, and I killed all 7 counselors and not one of them had a pocket knife. Either they were using them to pop traps (but I don't think they were as the car and phone were not touched), or they just didn't find any in the cabins they searched.

6 hours ago, megaweenieman said:

Every match I run into 4-5. It’s an improvement compared to before the last update but what is the point of giving half the counselors second wind?

I play on PS4 and there is 3 plus Tommy which makes it 4. I can live with that, at launch when the game was at its best there was 3 I can’t complain Vs the 9 that were in the game up,to the last patch.... lots of things about this game are broken but the knives are fine IMO

I think the number of knives is right on the money. What players do with them is another matter entirely but trying to dull the effects of players' misuse by adding more is no solution at all. We've been there before; it's a bleak and sorrowful place.

6 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

It's fine where it is now.

If counselors weren't dumb/selfish and actually used them on traps, it wouldn't even be remotely problematic.

It's fine as is now because those 4-5 knives aren't helping the counselors survive. It just delays the inevitable for one more grab.

What is the point in using your knife when you can easily tank the trap. You don’t even know how many times I’ve eaten the trap as Tiffany then had Deb fix the box and I body block the fuse box so Jason can’t destroy it, and if Jason tries grabbing me then I still have my knife to use...that is more than enough time for Deb to make the call the the police. It’s smart strategy to tank the trap and have your knife at the ready for protecting the fuse box. It gets and objective done and I wouldn’t call it “selfish”

6 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

You're better off setting traps than trying to chase counselors without your Shift ability. Pocket knives actually rarely lead to survival, as I mentioned in my previous post.

A pocket knife doesn't help you survive if the cops haven't been called yet. But it can all but guarantee your survival if they have been called.

A pocket knife is better used for disarming traps rather than escaping Jason. The only time you should eat a trap is if you have good backup or you know Jason is preoccupied chasing a car or something. Or you eat the trap as soon as he Morphs away...That's become one of my go-to moves. When I spawn at the fuse box (like 90% of the time lol) I let Jason set his traps, chases me a bit, gives up and Morphs to cars for trapping, then I immediately eat the trap at the fuse box, essentially wasting his trap.

Most Jasons will put more than one trap on the phone, so some tanking is required.

There is 5 knives max per round, if you think that is too much while playing Jason then look back at the August-January playstyle. You had up to 9 knives, I think one time I found six per round. I was the last one left and I kept kiting Jason through Blair’s Cove and people left theirs knives on the dock of the boat and there was three of them, I already had three myself. That is what you call overkill, the amount we have now is perfect. I had some close encounter rounds where I had to kite Jason for an extended time and I had the knives to back me up, but I never find more than two or three. Sometimes I’m the lucky one who finds three knives and I’ll be more than happy to share them with the group. Knives don’t need a nerf anymore than they already have. Honestly there isn’t much that needs to be nerfed or buffed on either the counselor or Jason’s side, the game is pretty well balanced. Obviously some gameplay mechanics, perks, and counselor stats could be tweaked although

1 minute ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

What is the point in using your knife when you can easily tank the trap. You don’t even know how many times I’ve eaten the trap as Tiffany then had Deb fix the box and I body block the fuse box so Jason can’t destroy it, and if Jason tries grabbing me then I still have my knife to use...that is more than enough time for Deb to make the call the the police. It’s smart strategy to tank the trap and have your knife at the ready for protecting the fuse box. It gets and objective done and I wouldn’t call it “selfish”

Depends on how good the player is at delaying Jason I suppose.  Many players still can't delay Jason more than 2 mins even with a PK, so getting the car or fuse done without alerting Jason is within their best interest.  Otherwise, I do agree with you.   PK are a valued commodity, Health sprays are cheap.

I would argue and say there isn't enough for most QP sessions if you're going up against a good Jason because chances are you will be going it alone.  I finally found a good crew of people to play with on mic in private match where we can all team up,  hit objectives or go for the sweater and swarm Jason in a  collective group. pocket knives aren't needed.  If you're going it alone in QP and Jason is good and you're team is just a pile of horse dung I would say  the amount of knives currently isn't enough if you want to stand a decent chance at surviving with a quality Jason.  I can promise you, you will  have maybe  a 1 PERCENT CHANCE of surviving me  at Jason in QP if you're team is garbage under the current  game parameters.   So for the purpose of QP, I've always said in most cases Pocket knives need to increase.  Its too difficult if you're team is useless and Jason is good and knows what their doing 

I can't even begin to explain how much EASIER it is being a counselor with a good crew of people communicating in private match sessions (Honestly you don't even need a pocket knife in this situation)  against playing with people not on mics or just goofing off and not doing anything against. good Jason .  I wish I could have found a good crew of people to play with sooner than 3-4 months of painstaking pissed off QP play with goofy 7 year old kids and no lobbies with mics.  Its not even the same game when you have a good private match crew. 

For the purpose of MOST QP matches, I would say more picket knives are needed.  For private match sessions, 1-2 is fine.  More than enough 

Speaking of that, Ive been ran over by a fellow counselor with a car 3 TIMES just in the past 4 matches in QP.   this is the reality of horse-shit  random QP these days if you're a counselor  :rolleyes:

The only time its possible to enjoy this game most times is when my crew of private matchers are on