megaweenieman

Still too many pocket knives

Every match I run into 4-5. It’s an improvement compared to before the last update but what is the point of giving half the counselors second wind?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I don't know, I feel like it's in a pretty good place right now. Maybe 1 or 2 less and it'd be perfect, but that's just me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Kill early before they have the chance to find them.. If you are morphing all over setting traps for 5mins then you have to deal with knives later...

• Like 3

It's fine where it is now.

If counselors weren't dumb/selfish and actually used them on traps, it wouldn't even be remotely problematic.

It's fine as is now because those 4-5 knives aren't helping the counselors survive. It just delays the inevitable for one more grab.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4-5 is a decent balance I think. You won't always run into that many of them and even if you have 5 a couple will probably be used on traps.

• Like 2

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

Kill early before they have the chance to find them.. If you are morphing all over setting traps for 5mins then you have to deal with knifes later...

This is true, but I still gotta set my traps, can't risk anyone escaping :lol:

4 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

If counselors weren't dumb/selfish and actually used them on traps, it wouldn't even be remotely problematic.

It's fine as is now because those 4-5 knives aren't helping the counselors survive. It just delays the inevitable for one more grab.

I agree 100% with every word you typed.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

All correct. I also think that the amount of knives is fine right now. First aid sprays are perhaps a little too easy to find but knives are fine. Very few people use them on traps and that also gets on my nerves, I always use mine where it's beneficial. I can outrun Jason for a long time just with good stamina management and window jumping (as @TheHansonGoons and @Thatguyinktown can probably attest to) so keeping them on me for anything but traps is just a get out of jail free card.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JasonLives86 said:

This is true, but I still gotta set my traps, can't risk anyone escaping :lol:

You're better off setting traps than trying to chase counselors without your Shift ability. Pocket knives actually rarely lead to survival, as I mentioned in my previous post.

A pocket knife doesn't help you survive if the cops haven't been called yet. But it can all but guarantee your survival if they have been called.

A pocket knife is better used for disarming traps rather than escaping Jason. The only time you should eat a trap is if you have good backup or you know Jason is preoccupied chasing a car or something. Or you eat the trap as soon as he Morphs away...That's become one of my go-to moves. When I spawn at the fuse box (like 90% of the time lol) I let Jason set his traps, chases me a bit, gives up and Morphs to cars for trapping, then I immediately eat the trap at the fuse box, essentially wasting his trap.

• Like 1

There are 3 pocket knives, 4 when Tommy arrives. I tested it over the span of hours and hours with a group of friends in private. 1 will spawn at a random camp fire, or one of the designated spots that aren't marked on map as a camp fire (example: the boat dock by the main road on Jarvis house). The other 2 pocket knives are found in drawers. The 4th pocket knife spawns in when Tommy Arrives on the scene.

4 pocket knives is not a lot at all, but not too little either. It is balanced. 

• Like 1

With 7 counselors (8 if you include Tommy), I think 4-5 pocket knives is fair.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

All correct. I also think that the amount of knives is fine right now. First aid sprays are perhaps a little too easy to find but knives are fine. Very few people use them on traps and that also gets on my nerves, I always use mine where it's beneficial. I can outrun Jason for a long time just with good stamina management and window jumping (as @TheHansonGoons and @Thatguyinktown can probably attest to) so keeping them on me for anything but traps is just a get out of jail free card.

I do not know this man

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, megaweenieman said:

Every match I run into 4-5. It’s an improvement compared to before the last update but what is the point of giving half the counselors second wind?

If you run into 4-5 every match, I want to play with you. As it stands, I only find one about every 4-5 MATCHES.

8 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

First aid sprays are perhaps a little too easy to find but knives are fine.

Couldn't agree more. Before the last update, people just scurried to campsites at the beginning of the match to pick up an instant knife, spray, and maybe shotgun. You can still find med sprays in static locations, but knives are hit-and-miss. I tend to feel like I hit the jackpot when I find one, especially if I've already found the fuse. (I main Deborah) 

. . . that is, unless Mr. Voorhees was a big, fat Jerky Jerkerson and left THREE traps at the fuse box . . .  <_<

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thatguyinktown said:

I do not know this man

Haha to be honest you're one of the few people who actually got me that night; I was running across the bridge on Higgins to go and fix the car when you caught me (I had the last car part). From what I remember, at the beginning of the match after you spotted me you chased me for most of the match until I ran to other counselors. Then you chased me out of the phone house, encountered Tommy (?) and then chased me on the bridge again lol. I didn't have enough stamina to jog to the next house :( Nobody used stalk against me, I was expecting shift grabs out of nowhere 99% of the time. 

Pocket knives are fine, people just need to use them on traps, but then again, I find it a waste if you have thick skinned and medic on as well as a healing spray, if you have that, eat the trap and then heal yourself. 

I usually go 1-4 games on average without finding a single pocket knife:pocketknife:. I've even spectated most other counselors in a game dying without a pocket knife. The amount is fine as is.

11 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

As it stands, I only find one about every 4-5 MATCHES

Same here

I'd honestly be okay with no pocket knives in matches.

Most people use them as get out of jail free cards early in the match, thus playing carelessly and wasting them, and never both using them to disarm a trap on the fusebox or the car.  They then die a minute or so later and have contributed nothing.  Maybe if they didn't have a pocket knife they would be more helpful towards the team effort...even if just to be more cautious and not be all up in Jason's face. 

Personally, I'd miss them if they were gone since I do actually use them on objectives that are trapped...even if I do not have the objective part.  

• Like 1

I only use them on traps if it's the only thing stopping our getting something repaired silently, the rest of the time I just tank the trap.

21 minutes ago, Gummybish said:

Pocket knives are fine, people just need to use them on traps, but then again, I find it a waste if you have thick skinned and medic on as well as a healing spray, if you have that, eat the trap and then heal yourself. 

Bad strategy unless you know Jason is heavily (chasing car or boat) distracted.

Scenario: Nothing is really going on and you eat a trap, Jason shows up and either kills you or now knows to patrol that objective more attentively - often leading to that objective being ruled out. Double fucked if that objective is really close to another (like on Packanack).

Disarming with a pocket knife is a better approach most of the time.

You eat traps either when Jason is distracted enough OR, when he's right there and you have some backup around. But if Jason isn't already there, calling him over is often a bad choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

Scenario: Nothing is really going on and you eat a trap, Jason shows up and either kills you or now knows to patrol that objective more attentively - often leading to that objective being ruled out. Double fucked if that objective is really close to another (like on Packanack).

You eat traps either when Jason is distracted enough OR, when he's right there and you have some backup around. But if Jason isn't already there, calling him over is often a bad choice.

Oh well of course, I should have edited my post to say in certain situations when he is distracted.  

6 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Ugh I wish i played  with you on my team. It so frustrating that not many players realize that the knives should be treated as secondary objectives.  This is best advice, always cut the trap unless the cops are called.

This is definitely a good veteran topic though.

When do you eat the trap? And when do you disarm it?

I definitely eat traps. But most of the time it's never risky at all. I'll either do it as soon as he Morphs away from the fuse box or cars at the start of the round - with or without the fuse/parts. I just wanna burn his trap. It's a good strategy too. Only Part 2 can really counter it.

Otherwise I typically only eat traps if there's a group around and I know being grabbed won't matter because someone will knock me loose if I do.

I see players try to eat traps and repair things when it's down to 3 counselors and two of them are hiding under beds...People seem to think they'll have time before Jason shows up. It never ends well.

Eating traps definitely works better if you do it before Jason has Morphed to all objectives. After that 2 minute or so mark it becomes more dangerous.

It's also quite the "wtf" moment for Jason when his traps get eaten so quickly after he places them too. Do you go back to objective A or do you go trap C before they get that done too?