Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
deathbat96777

Counselor Trap In Front of Car After Battery Is In?

Bear Trap in Front of the Car? Yay or nay?   

13 members have voted

  1. 1. Bear Trap in Front of the Car? Yay or nay?

    • Yes
      7
    • No, that's stupid
      7


Recommended Posts

I did this last night during a quick play match on Packanack Small (first time I'd played online in over a week!). Basically, I placed a bear trap directly in front of the car after I had already put the battery in. My goal with this was that if and when said car was started, just in case momma's boy decided to play hulk smash with the hood, he would instead step in the bear trap, giving us enough time to drive around him and not get slaughtered. Was this idea brilliant, or was it insanely stupid? I can see where it would go wrong, especially if I'm not using a mic and someone steps in it unintentionally. What do you guys think? Would this even work as an offensive tactic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a pretty decent idea to me... That ensures everyone has time to hop in after it's started. I think that would definitely throw him off for a minute.

Did you catch him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, deathbat96777 said:

I did this last night during a quick play match on Packanack Small (first time I'd played online in over a week!). Basically, I placed a bear trap directly in front of the car after I had already put the battery in. My goal with this was that if and when said car was started, just in case momma's boy decided to play hulk smash with the hood, he would instead step in the bear trap, giving us enough time to drive around him and not get slaughtered. Was this idea brilliant, or was it insanely stupid? I can see where it would go wrong, especially if I'm not using a mic and someone steps in it unintentionally. What do you guys think? Would this even work as an offensive tactic? 

Hell Yeah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do this as well, a couple of feet in front. I use a mic to warn people if Jason isn't there yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should try this the next time I play! But knowing me, I would accidentally step in my own trap lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen people do this with success but more often a counselor steps in it. 

You can warn them but that doesn't seem to matter. Is everyone in range to hear the warning? Do you have a Mic? Are you even gonna be around when an unaware counselor shows up? Do you all speak the same language?

IMO it's on the player to be paying attention to it anyways. It can work but odds are you'll snag another counselor before Jason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*sigh* when your too tired and press 'nay' on accident. That is a cool and a funny strategy! And I am the king of stupid strategies that work! I'm going to try this out

Tbh, I might catch a wild Chad or the freshly born Kenny more than the predator known as Jason. QP really does bring the stupid out :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@deathbat96777 interesting idea, but very circumstantial... It only works if Jason tries to stop the car just as you are starting it. If the trap is too close to the car it may initiate the animation of him smashing the hood anyway. It only requires him to touch the car. If you hit him in the bear trap, he will still stop the car. Where to place the trap would be very important... if he can get around it, then it may just be wasted effort. Creative thinking though... I bet it will work sometimes.
   Be careful when you warn others about it so that Jason does not hear you. In his rush to get the car, he may not see it, this is when it would work best..... Counselors may still run into it without seeing it there or even forgetting you told them... this can lead to a betrayal penalty for you. The counselor that ran into it may not be very happy either.... even if he or she was warned. Just the positioning of the camera behind your counselor makes it easy to forget to watch every step you take and limits your view of the rest of your surroundings when you do tilt the camera to watch your every step.

   I have a friend that came up with the idea of placing a bear trap in front of the gas and battery before they were repaired. This prevents Jason from putting a trap down in that spot, even if he triggers it. Any counselor can easily disarm it and does not have to tank or waste a pocket knife on Jason's trap. This has also caught a few counselors in the traps.... but it does otherwise work for its purpose. I got a good laugh once when spectating and he forgot about the trap... catching himself in it. Even a good plan can sometimes backfire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ahab said:

this can lead to a betrayal penalty for you

Traps don't cause betrayal penalties.

12 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I have a friend that came up with the idea of placing a bear trap in front of the gas and battery before they were repaired. This prevents Jason from putting a trap down in that spot, even if he triggers it.

You don't need to arm it, just place it there. No danger that way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Truth I was not sure about the bear trap leading to a betrayal penalty.... I should have been more clear on that one by using the word 'could' instead of 'can'. Thank you for the clarification.

   Although you do not have to arm it, you will not catch an unsuspecting Jason who is trying to put a trap there if you do not arm it... I walked into it once as Jason myself... that was how I discovered he was doing it in the first place. But there is no risk of catching a counselor that was not paying attention if you do not arm it of course. I like the no risk for counselors option with that myself. Setting one in front of the fuse box is also effective if you can get one there before Jason shows up... but that would be rare.
   Arming a bear trap anywhere other than behind a locked door is dangerous for any counselor, and sometimes... if Jason is able to get around it, another counselor will run into it there anyway. I imagine very few of us are watching where each step lands.
   Bear traps are always risky if they are close by when you are not paying attention  for whatever reason.... but they do sometimes still come in handy. Still, its good to see people trying to use them effectively in new ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Although you do not have to arm it, you will not catch an unsuspecting Jason who is trying to put a trap there if you do not arm it...

True, but usually the trap gets moved in the process of him getting out of it. This means that there is a chance the trap will no longer effectively block the objective. I'd rather be sure that the trap is protecting the objective than make sure he gets trapped (in this scenario). I always just put them behind doors because I'm lazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Truth said:

True, but usually the trap gets moved in the process of him getting out of it. This means that there is a chance the trap will no longer effectively block the objective. I'd rather be sure that the trap is protecting the objective than make sure he gets trapped (in this scenario). I always just put them behind doors because I'm lazy.

   I did not think of that... the trap does sometimes get moved as Jason breaks free. Damn good point. I will inform my friends that do this.... Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ahab said:

   I did not think of that... the trap does sometimes get moved as Jason breaks free. Damn good point. I will inform my friends that do this.... Thanks.

No problem, glad I could help!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this idea. First off, a counselor wouldn't normally go in front of the hood if they already know the battery has been repaired, and Jason certainly wouldn't know to expect it. You could consider leaving a med spray near the activated bear trap if you have extras, just in case an unsuspecting victim arrives, and on the flip side counselors who need items will be glad to find a med spray near an objective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×