PowellCampsNAKED

News on update this Friday the 13th?

2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

It was just the first thing that went through my mind when I read all the details all about the salt mines...

"Why do this if dedicated servers are coming?"

Doesn't make sense. Like I said...my guess is they're hoping the salt mines will take care of the issue and then no one will be demanding dedicated servers.

People only really want dedicated servers because the host leaves - not because of performance. So I think Gun is more inclined to find a way to deter quitting than shelling out for dedicated servers - especially on a dying game.

Dedicated Servers aren't coming - ever. I don't care what Gun claims. I'll believe it when I see it.

My friend that covers video games for Rolling Stone and Variety told me pretty much the same thing - that he would be shocked if this game ever gets dedicated servers. 

I can't think of any time the developers have just straight up lied to us about anything, however, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

2 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

I wasn't aware. Is there a reason for that?

I don't think dedicated servers did much for this game when it comes to cheating, which I assume is what you're getting at.

Reason is because there are more Server providers on PC, and they are just flat out cheaper than console servers. For consoles, the servers belong to Microsoft / Sony, and everything goes through them.

A lot of anti-cheat stuff happens server-side. On PC, this is important because anyone on a PC has access to the game files, and therefore, can modify them and attempt to cheat any time they want to. On consoles, accessing files for modification is much more of an ordeal. You basically need a modded system. As far as I know, that's extremely rare this gen. Consoles just don't need the servers to do the anti-cheat work because 99% of the players can't change their files - it's pointless.

14 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Reason is because there are more Server providers on PC, and they are just flat out cheaper than console servers. For consoles, the servers belong to Microsoft / Sony, and everything goes through them.

A lot of anti-cheat stuff happens server-side. On PC, this is important because anyone on a PC has access to the game files, and therefore, can modify them and attempt to cheat any time they want to. On consoles, accessing files for modification is much more of an ordeal. You basically need a modded system. As far as I know, that's extremely rare this gen. Consoles just don't need the servers to do the anti-cheat work because 99% of the players can't change their files - it's pointless.

I can only recall a handful of games that got hit with the mod craze. COD4: MW like you mentioned, and Skyrim and Fallout, which are single player so not the same can of worms as something multiplayer. Also as far as the systems being modded out, I believe it got a lot harder and more expensive after the boom of original xbox and ps2's. Everyone had those it seems in high school. Now it is much more rare like you said.

29 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

I can only recall a handful of games that got hit with the mod craze. COD4: MW like you mentioned, and Skyrim and Fallout, which are single player so not the same can of worms as something multiplayer. Also as far as the systems being modded out, I believe it got a lot harder and more expensive after the boom of original xbox and ps2's. Everyone had those it seems in high school. Now it is much more rare like you said.

I'm only familiar with the game modding scene because I'm admittedly a huge film/TV pirate. I pay for my music, games, and some movies though. But I used to see all the Xbox and Playstation games on torrent or fileshare sites. That stopped this gen. 360/PS3/Wii games were common. But I don't think I've ever seen any sort of illegal download for an Xbox One or PS4 game though.

So yeah, in that regard, games don't need to rely on dedicated servers to catch such fuckery. Because it just doesn't exist this gen. No one is "hacking" a console game. There's exploits, sure. But nothing like what we're seeing with the game on PC right now (even with dedicated servers).

9 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I'm only familiar with the game modding scene because I'm admittedly a huge film/TV pirate. I pay for my music, games, and some movies though. But I used to see all the Xbox and Playstation games on torrent or fileshare sites. That stopped this gen. 360/PS3/Wii games were common. But I don't think I've ever seen any sort of illegal download for an Xbox One or PS4 game though.

So yeah, in that regard, games don't need to rely on dedicated servers to catch such fuckery. Because it just doesn't exist this gen. No one is "hacking" a console game. There's exploits, sure. But nothing like what we're seeing with the game on PC right now (even with dedicated servers).

Yep. Hey, I feel ya' on those. I do pay for games, some movies, and definitely music(huge music lover and try to support the bands I love). But I don't really do much tv anyways and can get that shit for free online lol. and I love pc gaming, but went console because of how much more you run into that shit than on pc. You pointed out everyone up in arms for dedicated servers on consoles being solely based on host quitting, connection drop outs, while not calling for them for the performance aspect. What does dedicated servers do for the performance outside of connection/etc?

Edit: My in depth knowledge surrounds guitar/music, history, and construction/mechanics. Trying to learn more about these things.

12 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

You pointed out everyone up in arms for dedicated servers on consoles being solely based on host quitting, connection drop outs, while not calling for them for the performance aspect. What does dedicated servers do for the performance outside of connection/etc?

Certain instances/effects can be powered by the server and take a load off the client. For example, soon enough you'll be able to "rent" a high-end PC that you stream from via server..So you could potentially play 4K games from a pretty basic system/PC without actually having the hardware. You'd simply be streaming it, kinda like netflix. The only requirement on your end is a display at whatever resolution you're pushing, and fast enough internet to stream it...

As far as how it impacts F13 on consoles, the host's console and their internet connection, and everyone else's internet connection, collectively, is what is running the game you're playing (peer-to-peer). It's why some matches have worse fps than others, why rain cripples fps on consoles (and PC to an extent)...etc

1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

Certain instances/effects can be powered by the server and take a load off the client. For example, soon enough you'll be able to "rent" a high-end PC that you stream from via server..So you could potentially play 4K games from a pretty basic system/PC without actually having the hardware. You'd simply be streaming it, kinda like netflix. The only requirement on your end is a display at whatever resolution you're pushing, and fast enough internet to stream it...

As far as how it impacts F13 on consoles, the host's console and their internet connection, and everyone else's internet connection, collectively, is what is running the game you're playing (peer-to-peer). It's why some matches have worse fps than others, why rain cripples fps on consoles (and PC to an extent)...etc

Thanks for that break down. Puts the importance of dedicated server into perspective, outside of the whole host dropping bit.

• Like 1

On 2018-04-12 at 3:52 AM, The Gloved One said:

Trust me ,its not a big deal if they don't release anything on the Thirteenth.

It's a missed opportunity. And that is a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vagenrullar said:

Welcome to the Land of Missed Opportunity.

• Haha 1

I’ve gone to lurking the last couple months and have been taking a break from f13. Probably much needed. It got a bit stale which really magnified the frustrations of console issues. I’ll most likely check the game out again tomorrow after work with the xp bonus. Although, it’ll only get me to 150 sooner which isn’t a great Thing necessarily. Other than those I’ve met through here, there are way more assholes on this game of late or basically in general. I started having much less fun when people started playing this game as if it were a competitive esport with rules and/or takes tons of skill. Leveling up makes going through and playing games with the general public that still play the game at least worth something. 

This game is very much so dependent on who you play with. So many people have moved away from this game for a variety of reasons. None of my close friends in real life want any part of this game anymore. I don’t see this dev team bringing much more interest for this title for more than a month at a time. Plus, I know plenty of the most active folks around here, along with myself, are just over the disappointments. 

Ive gotten more than my monies worth out of this game so I won’t complain too much. Had a lot of fun at the beginning (once it worked) and met plenty of cool people. If it wasn’t Friday the 13th though, I doubt I would’ve played it as much or got into it as much as I did. I do wonder if a more polished team got the license instead, what could’ve been.  I hope the next update knocks it out of the park. I’ll be there.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Salt Mines won't effect me much because I think I've given up QP until I see something resembling significant overhaul.

I think if the time ever comes that they introduce a counselor based singleplayer mode to go along with singleplayer challenges/offline bots. I may drop QP forever barring new maps I'll play in QP briefly. I know I'll probably hop in QP once Uber/Grendel comes, but not before that most likely.

Since weapon swapping, Part 7 tweaks, Roy overalls will be enjoyable without the need of the QP experience. I see no need to waste 20 minutes on a dull affair of teamers, trolls, glitchers, etc.

3 hours ago, vagenrullar said:

Again,Do you want them to rush content out and then complain that they rushed it to fit a holiday? They've  been  working a while on this so let them take their time within the April-May range.

I don't want rushed content, but they had to know the level of hype around the date so just saying the big update wouldn't be happening on Friday the 13th would have been good enough for me.  Or if they released the salt mines or the new counselor that would have bridged us to the update.  Understand that the update is touching so many areas of the game even those two things may not have been possible as well.  Was looking for a tweet from them this week just setting expectation that they'd do some cool things like an XP weekend since it's Friday the 13th but don't expect the big update.

On April 10, 2018 at 3:31 PM, Alkavian said:

No date. April at earliest. That is all we know.

That's a CRAP answer. Y'all know how far along you are and how much to go.  If you don't , then either you're LYING or you shoved it TOO FAR up your own ASS !! This game came out 2015- 2016 and I personally had it since the disc came out , which in itself is 6 months ago . 2  1/2 years to get your game together and YOU tell US to " Shove it up your Asses" ? I think this very patient COMMUNITY DESERVES BETTER ( mic drop ) 

That's a CRAP answer. Y'all know how far along you are and how much to go.  If you don't , then either you're LYING or you shoved it TOO FAR up your own ASS !! This game came out 2015- 2016 and I personally had it since the disc came out , which in itself is 6 months ago . 2  1/2 years to get your game together and YOU tell US to " Shove it up your Asses" ? I think this very patient COMMUNITY DESERVES BETTER ( mic drop ) 

5 minutes ago, Billabong506 said:

The game came out in 2017. 

14 minutes ago, Billabong506 said:

If you're this wound up about an update to a game, you might want to seek professional help. 

Billabong, Billaboob, Billanoob whatever your name is, you sound like need a blunt. This game has only been out for a year....  

tenor.gif

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Billabong506 said:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't work for them. I mean considering all the "you" in there it looks like the assumption is being made that he does. And if he doesn't then you just kind of blew up at an innocent bystander and then gave yourself a "mic drop"? 

Thanks for the entertaining post though. That shit's always funny. And that "y'all know" line there took it right in to Jerry Springer territory. Good stuff.

The Community DESERVES BETTER  !!  Personally , I like playing games that are COMPLETE.  Not you ?  I can't help that. The FORUM started 2015 , so says BEN , so, yeah , they had 2 1/2 years to develope it.   What games are you still playing from even 6 months ago ?  As for my mental state , after the whole ' They sold Savini Jason on-line scandal and NO patch updates since January or February , my patients are a little thin.  If the games is sooooo great, why are the devs changing it ?  Because it needs it in their opinion .  Enjoy yourself waiting, NORMAL PEOPLE are MOVING ON.

2 minutes ago, Billabong506 said:

my patients are a little thin.  

Well then maybe you aren't feeding your "patients" enough.  They really should be eating more! *Ba Dum Tss*:lol:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

Well then maybe you aren't feeding your "patients" enough.  They really should be eating more! *Ba Dum Tss*:lol:

Beat me to it

22 minutes ago, Billabong506 said:

The Community DESERVES BETTER  !!

This community seems to be taking this waiting period well. At least, the mature members of the audience. We're getting a lot of good stuff with this update, and I can bet my bottom dollar that there will be a little bit more goodies to be announced before the actual release date comes.

Honestly, I would rather the devs pause the content bundle for now and prep a release for the update. When it releases, and everything has been tested and any new bugs that are there have been reported and hammered out, THEN more content can come out.

1 hour ago, Billabong506 said:

The Community DESERVES BETTER  !!  Personally , I like playing games that are COMPLETE.  Not you ?  I can't help that. The FORUM started 2015 , so says BEN , so, yeah , they had 2 1/2 years to develope it.   What games are you still playing from even 6 months ago ?  As for my mental state , after the whole ' They sold Savini Jason on-line scandal and NO patch updates since January or February , my patients are a little thin.  If the games is sooooo great, why are the devs changing it ?  Because it needs it in their opinion .  Enjoy yourself waiting, NORMAL PEOPLE are MOVING ON.

I play plenty of games that are older than 6 months. Rocksmith, Black ops 3, COD WW2, Battlefront 2, hell I still fire up the ps1 and 2 at times for gems like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evils 1-3 and those games are 20 years old. Calm down or move along.

1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

You beat me to it, you witty bastard you lol.

giphy.gif