PowellCampsNAKED

News on update this Friday the 13th?

4 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

Since not a single Friday the 13th has passed since the game released without SOMETHING happening on that date.

There's only been 1 Friday the 13th since the game launched. It's not like there is a long standing tradition of content being released on Friday the 13ths. And there is something happening tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

There's only been 1 Friday the 13th since the game launched. It's not like there is a long standing tradition of content being released on Friday the 13ths. And there is something happening tomorrow.

I thought there had been more, that's my mistake. And yes, I am aware that something is happening tomorrow. I never said there wasn't, I said it would have been nice if they had made a brief statement saying that the update isn't coming tomorrow. 

I don't understand why that should be a bother - to either Shifty or the other users here.

1 minute ago, RKSDooM said:

I thought there had been more, that's my mistake. And yes, I am aware that something is happening tomorrow. I never said there wasn't, I said it would have been nice if they had made a brief statement saying that the update isn't coming tomorrow. 

I don't understand why that should be a bother - to either Shifty or the other users here.

We get a new crop of blind defenders every season. ;)

• Like 1

If your game is called Friday the 13th and you say an update may hit in April, and there's a Friday the 13th in April, maybe let everyone know before that day that it for sure isn't going to hit on that day.

It's not the end of the world if you don't, but, considering the minimal amount of effort required I don't see why you wouldn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

If your game is called Friday the 13th and you say an update may hit in April, and there's a Friday the 13th in April, maybe let everyone know before that day that it for sure isn't going to hit on that day.

It's not the end of the world if you don't, but, considering the minimal amount of effort required I don't see why you wouldn't.

It's probably more fun for them to watch everyone get all worked up about something that was born from speculation and rumour. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

I don't think they are thinking that much about it. If anything they want people to think it is right around the corner to drum up interest. I remember before the game released they would always wait until the last minute to announce a delay.

• Like 1

BREAKING: Dedicated servers will launch when the Titanic reaches New York Harbour. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

BREAKING: Dedicated servers will launch when the Titanic reaches New York Harbour. 

DAAAAAMN!!!!

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

It's probably more fun for them to watch everyone get all worked up about something that was born from speculation and rumour. 

"Those crazy kids - speculating that the update might hit on April 13th just because we said it might hit in April and that's a Friday the 13th and our game is called Friday the 13th! Point and laugh at the way their insane minds work!"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

DAAAAAMN!!!!

giphy.gif

Of course you can speculate as the date would make sense, but they've repeatedly said there was no set release date. I can speculate that they'll swerve us and we'll get a release date tomorrow, but that would be just speculation and has nothing to back it up other than the date making sense. I do agree though, a status update would be appreciated. 

And I agree, they don't OWE us anything. It would just be nice if they used a smidgen of common sense combined with a tiny bit of effort to realize that people might be hoping that the "possibly April" update would land on Friday the 13th and give us an update on things.

If they don't, I'm not going to lose my shit about it or anything, but it does seems a wee bit dickish for them not to do so when speculation regarding that date is so obviously going to be a thing.

6 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

And I agree, they don't OWE us anything. It would just be nice if they used a smidgen of common sense combined with a tiny bit of effort to realize that people might be hoping that the "possibly April" update might land on Friday the 13th and give us an update on things.

If they don't, I'm not going to lose my shit about it or anything, but it does seems a wee bit dickish for them not to do so when speculation regarding that date is so obviously going to be a thing.

lol...people just don't have realistic expectations. As soon as Gun said "April, at best" I tossed April out the window. Pessimistic, maybe. But NOTHING has happened "at best" with this dev team.

My guess is they're RUSHING in hopes to have it ready for May 26th, and I think even that will be a stretch.

Really hope this is all worth it...If people pick up the new engine and it's anything like things are now, the update won't prolong the lifespan of the game more than a month or two.

3 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

lol...people just don't have realistic expectations. As soon as Gun said "April, at best" I tossed April out the window. Pessimistic, maybe. But NOTHING has happened "at best" with this dev team.

My guess is they're RUSHING in hopes to have it ready for May 26th, and I think even that will be a stretch.

Yep. You can pretty much add a month and a half to any of their approximate release dates. And that's being generous.

That said I just want them to nail this next update. If it takes longer, well whatever. Just get it right. And by right I mean smooth gameplay with little bugs. I don't care about the bells and whistles. Perk system, new counselors, new Jasons. Nuh. Don't care. Just smooth gameplay. Fix the little details. Fix the hit boxes. These are things that matter. 

Just my opinion though. But yeah, April. Lol. I mean I guess anything is possible and they swerve us, but my guess is May with dedicated servers in "early 2019".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, malloymk said:

Yep. You can pretty much add a month and a half to any of their approximate release dates. And that's being generous.

That said I just want them to nail this next update. If it takes longer, well whatever. Just get it right. And by right I mean smooth gameplay with little bugs. I don't care about the bells and whistles. Perk system, new counselors, new Jasons. Nuh. Don't care. Just smooth gameplay. Fix the little details. Fix the hit boxes. These are things that matter. 

Just my opinion though. But yeah, April. Lol. I mean I guess anything is possible and they swerve us, but my guess is May with dedicated servers in "early 2019".

this, and close to a year with a full single player mode and dedicated servers i am feeling like is a myth at this point......I know they "confirmed" it is coming but really.....a year after launch?

15 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

this, and close to a year with a full single player mode and dedicated servers i am feeling like is a myth at this point......I know they "confirmed" it is coming but really.....a year after launch?

I don't buy that dedicated servers are still coming. Here's why:

The Salt Mines.

Why go through all the trouble of warning hosts that they'll be punished for quitting early and eventually banished to "the salt mines" if dedicated servers negate all that?

Basically they're trying everything and anything (else) they can, before they resort to dedicated servers. The hope is that the salt mines will remedy the issue and that dedicated servers won't be needed.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

The Salt Mines.

Why go through all the trouble of warning hosts that they'll be punished for quitting early and eventually banished to "the salt mines" if dedicated servers negate all that?

Basically they're trying everything and anything (else) they can, before they resort to dedicated servers. The hope is that the salt mines will remedy the issue and that dedicated servers won't be needed.

I get the feeling you're right, but I still don't understand this. They had no trouble putting dedicated servers in the PC version, which currently has fewer than 500 people playing. They have no problem with spending months not updating the game because they want to upgrade the engine. How hard can putting servers in the game be?

Just now, AldermachXI said:

The Salt Mines.

Very good point. Didn't think about the fact that all of the work and coding going to the salt mines would be useless after dedicated servers drop. Does seem pointless to do all that work for a short term remedy.

2 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

Very good point. Didn't think about the fact that all of the work and coding going to the salt mines would be useless after dedicated servers drop. Does seem pointless to do all that work for a short term remedy.

Only the bit about hosts leaving would become redundant. The rest would still work as usual, and is still coming to the PC version.

Just now, MichaelMemers said:

I get the feeling you're right, but I still don't understand this. They had no trouble putting dedicated servers in the PC version, which currently has fewer than 500 people playing.

Dedicated servers are cheaper for PC games and security depends on them a little more than consoles do. Consoles don't have to take that extra measure because so few consoles are modded these days.

The only game I recall seeing modded on consoles in recent years was COD4: MW. 

Just now, MichaelMemers said:

Only the bit about hosts leaving would become redundant. The rest would still work as usual, and is still coming to the PC version.

True. But I think @AldermachXI is on to something here. Given his track record on calling shit out. And knowledge surrounding things with the gaming industry and how it works. Knows far more than I. I guess we will see SOON™

9 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Dedicated servers are cheaper for PC games

I wasn't aware. Is there a reason for that?

9 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

security depends on them a little more than consoles do.

I don't think dedicated servers did much for this game when it comes to cheating, which I assume is what you're getting at.

4 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

True. But I think @AldermachXI is on to something here. Given his track record on calling shit out. And knowledge surrounding things with the gaming industry and how it works. Knows far more than I. I guess we will see SOON™

It was just the first thing that went through my mind when I read all the details all about the salt mines...

"Why do this if dedicated servers are coming?"

Doesn't make sense. Like I said...my guess is they're hoping the salt mines will take care of the issue and then no one will be demanding dedicated servers.

People only really want dedicated servers because the host leaves - not because of performance. So I think Gun is more inclined to find a way to deter quitting than shelling out for dedicated servers - especially on a dying game.

Dedicated Servers aren't coming - ever. I don't care what Gun claims. I'll believe it when I see it.

Just now, AldermachXI said:

It was just the first thing that went through my mind when I read all the details all about the salt mines...

"Why do this if dedicated servers are coming?"

Doesn't make sense. Like I said...my guess is they're hoping the salt mines will take care of the issue and then no one will be demanding dedicated servers.

People only really want dedicated servers because the host leaves - not because of performance. So I think Gun is more inclined to find a way to deter quitting than shelling out for dedicated servers - especially on a dying game.

Dedicated Servers aren't coming - ever. I don't care what Gun claims. I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah, I have been feeling like they were a myth, even before salt mines were announced. Just the way they have been since day one about them. Even though I know little about the development side, I do have common sense and have this unique ability to smell bullshit a mile away. Got that trait from my late, great father.

• Like 1