Sign in to follow this  
TommyJarvis80

Does anyone else feel like the grab is broken and overused?

Hello. Just started playing the game this week, and I keep getting grabbed from really far away, even with players using Jason, who have good internet ping. Anyone else seen this yet? Seems like every Jason does nothing but grab a lot. I guess because it's so easy to do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, TommyJarvis80 said:

Hello. Just started playing the game this week, and I keep getting grabbed from really far away, even with players using Jason, who have good internet ping. Anyone else seen this yet? Seems like every Jason does nothing but grab a lot. I guess because it's so easy to do?

The grab is fine kinda, it's just the animation of the grab makes it seem like it's really far.

Just now, Qcici said:

The grab is fine kinda, it's just the animation of the grab makes it seem like it's really far.

Yea. So, with the new animation coming, will that make to where I'm not grabbed from so far away? Just yesterday,  got grabbed from over a long table. Not sure if that has to do with animation? Or, if the game itself is broken maybe? Also, I noticed that all Jason's just grab. But, there's no cool down for grab. There's a cool down for throwing knives though. Which actually takes some good aim, and effort. Kind of backwards right?

Just now, TommyJarvis80 said:

Yea. So, with the new animation coming, will that make to where I'm not grabbed from so far away? Just yesterday,  got grabbed from over a long table. Not sure if that has to do with animation? Or, if the game itself is broken maybe? Also, I noticed that all Jason's just grab. But, there's no cool down for grab. There's a cool down for throwing knives though. Which actually takes some good aim, and effort. Kind of backwards right?

The new animation won't really help with getting grabbed from far away. The animation is really a buff because now after grabs he moves two steps more so it's harder for counselors to hit him in time to save their friends. I think when the rare instances of broken grabs occur, it's because the grab hitbox is stationary instead of dynamic. If they made the hitbox move through his arm to his fingertips, that could solve issues with broken grabs. 

Technically there is a cooldown for grabs lol, it's two seconds. The reason why Throwing Knives have cooldowns is because without it, Jason would be too OP. Imagine playing Roy with his +Knives strength and just fire squadding someone with all your knives, they can't use any of their pocket knives or heal in time. It's not backwards because if you get hit by a throwing knife, then go through a broken window without thick skinned equipped, you'll instantly be limping (which makes absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever.) 

Really they need to make the hitbox dynamic for the grabs, that can fix issues.

Hm. Why do I feel like this thread was made by an alternate account to somebody I've run across ? 

• Haha 5

I don't think it's overused, I prefer watching the cinematic death scenes over death via slashing (provided it isn't the tired choke execution over and over again.) Someone did suggest in another thread that the grab range should be more like an inverted cone, which does make a lot more sense. (Counselors literally on top of Jason should be easier to grab than those standing further away.) But it is what it is. We'll see how game play feels when the new animation tweaks are added in. 

1 hour ago, TommyJarvis80 said:

You remind me of a man named @TADAARAIS:rolleyes:....If you're not get used to the grab as this is the best its really gonna get and will look crisp with the new animation.

• Haha 1

hmm i think jasons grab is fine.

jason should be more powerfull than counselors.

i think jason is to easy to kill.

people who play as counselors complain about jason.

people who play as jason complain about counselors have it too easy.

THE SOLUTION TO ALL THIS WHINING AND COMPLAINING THAT EACH SIDE IS NOT FAIR IS SIMPLE.

THE DEVELOPERS NEED TO MAKE A DIFFICULTY SETTING FOR EACH MAP.

THEN THE PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED.

PEOPLE CAN PLAY IN A NIGHTMARE MODE Where Jason is stronger and its more of a challenge for counselors.

Easy mode would be easier for counselors.

10 minutes ago, TADAARAIS said:

hmm i think jasons grab is fine.

jason should be more powerfull than counselors.

i think jason is to easy to kill.

people who play as jason complain about counselors have it too easy.

THE SOLUTION TO ALL THIS WHINING AND COMPLAINING THAT EACH SIDE IS NOT FAIR IS SIMPLE.

PEOPLE CAN PLAY IN A NIGHTMARE MODE Where Jason is stronger and its more of a challenge for counselors.

Easy mode would be easier for counselors.

It's not that simple.

5 minutes ago, TommyJarvis80 said:

The pings you see on your screen are not the same as the pings on anyone else's screen. They are usually close to what you see, but different. Lag is always present to one extent or another. A random lag spike can cause a grab look further away to you than it did to the Jason player, and the other way around. It can also cause other issues, like trying to bar a door and the animation screws up, then a few seconds later it continues as though nothing happened. A fence post suddenly shifts and appears in front of the car you are driving, giving you no way to avoid hitting it and making you look like a poor driver. These things can and will happen and it will almost never happen at a 'good' time. Chances are you will not even notice a lag spike... by the time you 'get grabbed from far away' and check the pings.... all the pings are already back to normal.... hence the term, lag SPIKE. What you see on your screen is slightly off of what any other player in the match is seeing on their screen.
    Many people complain that the grab is broken and claim to be grabbed from across the street. I have seen very few questionable grabs in the last few months and non that cannot be explained by a lag spike or persistent lag. Even when we had 'the force grab' that everyone agrees was way to overpowered... no one was grabbed from that far away, but many claimed to be. Most grabs as it is now do not connect if the counselor is not within arms reach of Jason. Many of these do not connect either. Very close in grab attempts fail often, I see grabs miss way more than any questionable grabs whether I am playing Jason or a counselor. The people complaining about the grab distance always fail to admit how many close in grabs were attempted on them that missed. Remember the grab that happened to you is not every grab performed in a game. The grab can easily be judged by how it happens most often.... which is arm's length.
    Programmers will never make something like Jason's grab look the same every time it is used on each screen viewing the game in question as long as lag exists... and until quantum entanglement is perfected and implemented into communications.... there will be lag.

Grabs are overused???? Grabs are what all of the animation based kills are built off of. Grabs can be escaped with a pocket knife, another counselor hitting Jason with you in his grip, or mashing the 'e' button (or whatever button it is on a controller). Many times mashing the 'e' button will not help you... but the kill animations take a certain amount of space to execute them, so Jason has to move with you in his grip to get to a spot to use them. Asphyxiate and head punch require next to no room, you will probably not escape if Jason uses them... and he will. Other times, you will escape his grip mashing the button... it depends on the circumstances and how far Jason has to move to use the kill that he wants.
     With the amount of times Jason can miss with a grab... and the amount of times people DO escape from his grip (by whatever means).... there is no need for a cool down, which would be rather unrealistic. Throwing knives, you have to grab the knife, take aim and throw, a cool down is just realistic here (even considering quick throws are possible in game, just hard to aim).... a grab, all you have to do is move your arm or possibly lunge forward towards what you are trying to grab. I don't know about you, but I can swing my arm out to grab (or lunge) over and over and over again for quite a while before my arm gets tired and I need a 'cool down'.
     What is wrong with being grabbed from across a table? I have seen that in game, but never over a wide piece of furniture, ALWAYS a pretty thin piece of furniture. As far as that goes, if you are within reach of his grab, you should get grabbed... over furniture or not.... if his arm can touch you... you get grabbed. Keep in mind.... what you are seeing on your screen is slightly off from what the Jason player is seeing. If you were grabbed from across anything wider than a thin piece of furniture, I would like to see video of it. As far as that goes, be grateful there is no environment kill which uses a large table that Jason happens to be on the other side of and smashes the counselor against the opposite wall, cutting them in half. It would be the most used environment kill in the game... ever. It would also be a pretty cool kill and end those ring around the rosie games much quicker.

The grab is being adjusted again with the coming update... we all need to reserve judgement until we see it from both sides after the next update.
     There are many...many...many other posts about this already. I am surprised no one has told you to use the search option before making a new post.... but I am sure someone will pop on to tell you (other than me).

2 hours ago, TommyJarvis80 said:

Hey newcomer! Anyway Grab is pretty op. And it's op because Jason needs it to be. He faces seven to one odds. However if you have some buddies and you team up on Jason his Grab can become a liability. If encountering Jason on your own I personally recommend running and only fighting if you have to. Use the cabins and their windows to your advantage. Kite Jason around as much as you can and sometimes Jason will get bored or flustration will set in and he will leave you alone. Especially if someone else is repairing something and screws up. As you play you adapt to Jason's kill range and become harder and harder to catch.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pazuzu said:

I don't think it's overused, I prefer watching the cinematic death scenes over death via slashing (provided it isn't the tired choke execution over and over again.)

Don’t forget that wack ass headpunch kill. At least choke looks cool.

20 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Hm. Why do I feel like this thread was made by an alternate account to somebody I've run across ? 

Wha- Darrin... Is that... You?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Qcici said:

The new animation won't really help with getting grabbed from far away. The animation is really a buff because now after grabs he moves two steps more so it's harder for counselors to hit him in time to save their friends. I think when the rare instances of broken grabs occur, it's because the grab hitbox is stationary instead of dynamic. If they made the hitbox move through his arm to his fingertips, that could solve issues with broken grabs. 

Technically there is a cooldown for grabs lol, it's two seconds. The reason why Throwing Knives have cooldowns is because without it, Jason would be too OP. Imagine playing Roy with his +Knives strength and just fire squadding someone with all your knives, they can't use any of their pocket knives or heal in time. It's not backwards because if you get hit by a throwing knife, then go through a broken window without thick skinned equipped, you'll instantly be limping (which makes absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever.) 

Really they need to make the hitbox dynamic for the grabs, that can fix issues.

Interesting. I've seen Jason's grab really fast over, and over, and without ever slowing down the grab speed. He even moves still while grabbing. I've also noticed a lot of the kids on here just spam it really fast as well. You're right as well, even teammates can't save you. Which is quite unfair really. Seems like this game has no balance.

Elias...No. I just want people to be forced to use all 4 kills, and not just one of them 99% of the time. Also, I don't want Jason to be underpowered. He should be OP. I just feel like the grab is really needing some creative attention. It's the most deadly way to kill, and the quickest way to kill. Unfortunately, it has no cool down.

Alien...Yea, good to be here man. I'm actually pretty good at eluding Jason. I use windows, and get batteries on, gas, and fixing the fuse box/calling the cops done. But, most of the time, Jason is on me when the round starts, and I'm fighting him for the whole round, and everything is in scarcity to top it off. That's not mentioning team killers. Which is also a real pain. I've seen Jason grab kill all 8 in 6 minutes flat. Seems like Jason's odds are better than ours. Even in the movies, he was put in his dormant state in every movie. I don't know, just seems like the balance is all about Jason, and not counselors. 

Ahab...Yea, I know about lag, and ping. In fact, people with lower ping (20-80) seem to be grabbing me from further away. I actually got grabbed from across a table my first time playing. He had 46 ping. Which is pretty good really. Mine is usually at 40-50m unless I'm on a bad server, then it shoots way up. I'm guessing it's because of the host being from another country. I was in a server yesterday with a bunch of French guys, 1 of them was the host, and my ping was at 400. LOL You're right though, if I'm right on his hand when he grabs, then it should be an instant death. No doubt about it. But, I never get that close, and I still get grabbed. Even on a good server. Looks to me like the actual game mechanics are needing a change. Maybe make the grab a mini-game? 

Ris...No sir. This is my only account. It took me 2 days just to figure out this site. The site wouldn't confirm my email from my phone oddly enough. So, I broke out my laptop.

TAD...That's not necessarily true. Jason was stopped in every movie. However, Jason should be more powerful than counselors. You're right about that. I'm not saying Jason should be weak by any means. I just think the grab range should be reduced. Only if you're touching his hand when he reaches, no more, no less. 

Seems like this game has no balance.

Elias...No. I just want people to be forced to use all 4 kills, and not just one of them 99% of the time. Also, I don't want Jason to be underpowered. He should be OP. I just feel like the grab is really needing some creative attention. It's the most deadly way to kill, and the quickest way to kill. Unfortunately, it has no cool down.

This game is balanced right now .Also Jason shouldn't be forced to use all four kills as  in some instances you need to use multiple quick kills .A cool down for grab will help trolls troll Jason more overall.

22 hours ago, TADAARAIS said:

Wouldn't this split the player base?

3 hours ago, Elias Voorhees said:

So, you want Jason players to just slash all the time? Like Mario collecting coins killing counselors is what Jason is supposed to do.

Jason's mother and resume says he's a "killer". How he kills is up to him. B)

Elias...No. I just want people to be forced to use all 4 kills, and not just one of them 99% of the time.

Couldn't their use of the same kill be part of their strategy?

13 minutes ago, The Gloved One said:

This game is balanced right now .Also Jason shouldn't be forced to use all four kills as  in some instances you need to use multiple quick kills .A cool down for grab will help trolls troll Jason more overall.

I agree. The balance is better than it's been in months.

14 hours ago, TommyJarvis80 said:

Interesting. I've seen Jason's grab really fast over, and over, and without ever slowing down the grab speed. He even moves still while grabbing. I've also noticed a lot of the kids on here just spam it really fast as well. You're right as well, even teammates can't save you. Which is quite unfair really. Seems like this game has no balance.

Looks like The_Minotaur80 made a new account...  

But lets just say for the sake of this argument this is not a new Minotaur account.

Just spams grab?  Spamming grab is only useful of a Counselor keeps hanging around in grab range.  Spamming grab makes Jason SLOWER.   Therefore GRAB SPAM is only problem if a the counselor is to stupid run away.    The counter to "GRAB SPAM" is simply RUN AWAY.

This game will never be balanced..  Because its 7 vs 1.  Game is designed around 7 counselors trying escape while Jason slaughters them all.  This game is not about ONE player beating Jason silly for 20 mins.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 8:46 PM, TADAARAIS said:

Meh.. i play as counselor and i don't complain about Jason.

Sometimes the easiest solution is just to ignore the whiners.    Since the way i see it, The only time people who whine about Jason is few people on this forum.   And even then most of the complaining is just done by the SAME person whos too dense to understand what the game is about even after being told the same thing over and over again.

Some problems don't need to be solved.

@TommyJarvis80
   Jason can only spam grab so fast... and if he grabs you, there is no reason to hit grab again. If he misses, of course he is going to try again and again until he grabs you. Why wouldn't he?  A cool down for grab would be beyond ridiculous. Team mates can save you.... they have to actually strike Jason to do it. Striking through a counselor to hit Jason is ridiculous once again. If you are in a position to hit Jason when he is holding a counselor and actually strike Jason, then the counselor is saved. If not, then the counselor dies if he cannot get out of the grip himself. How is this in any way unfair? 
    You want people to be forced to use 4 kills? If you want people to play a game the way you want them to... then play with people who agree to your rules before the match starts. Do not assume you can tell ANYONE how to play... let alone the person who you are playing against. This person would be a fool to listen to the person he is playing against telling him not to do something. I do not like to see the same kill over and over again either.... but that is how some people want to play... so that is how they WILL play. I do not always use all four executions that I have picked either, sometimes I get to use eight different environment kills, but it is nice to have the option to use whatever kill I have prepared if I so choose.
    You claim to be 'pretty good' at eluding Jason, then you state you are fighting him the whole round. Eluding and fighting are two entirely different things. Eluding is staying away from Jason, fighting is getting in his face. Fighting Jason = Death. Eluding Jason = Escape... but not all the time, sometimes he will get you. If you were actually good at eluding Jason, you would probably not be complaining about his grab. If you were not 'in his face' while he tries to grab you, but misses... you would not complain about grab spamming. I see a whole lot more missed attempts at grabs in this game then grabs that connect.
    I have never seen a Jason grab kill every counselor with a grab in 6 minutes... that is pretty good, considering there is usually at least something resembling a chase for every counselor, unless they are attacking him in a group... then they should expect to get cut down. Grabs are a useless tactic for Jason when fighting groups. Lets see.... 8 counselors, if Jason is very  lucky, he might kill two before he gets shift.. leaving 6 to kill in the next three minutes or so... leaving about 30 seconds between kills... a few kills can take upwards of ten seconds to perform, further reducing the time to chase the counselors to get this done in the time you state.... Shift needs to regenerate to catch up to someone who has any kind of stamina left, unless Jason spawns with 20 knives and can hit every time he throws one (it takes quite a while to go around and gather knives)..... It sound to me like the Jason player you are talking about simply hacked down a large group of battle Chads and maybe got in a grab kill or two before or after fighting the group. The 6 minute timing even sounds correct if they were using communications to coordinate their efforts.... I have done that with many groups that wanted to fight. It is so much easier to kill everyone when they come to you, but it makes for a short and boring game for the Jason player.
   I do not think you understand lag well at all... or you would never have complained about the grab in the first place. Lag is far from consistent. After you see something caused by lag and look at the pings, lag will often (by often, I mean 90% of the time, which can translate to the next 90 times you look) seem normal by the time you look. The types of grabs you are talking about are rare, unless you are experiencing consistent lag... then yes, you would be able to look at the pings after the event in question and see that there is lag. As I stated... what you see on your screen is slightly off from what ANY other player in the match is seeing on their screen. Even half a second makes a big enough difference that when you sync up to the Jason player, you are in his grip. Someone recently described it like a rear view mirror that states, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear... and Jason may well be closer to you than he appears on your screen. It can also work in reverse and he could be farther away from you than he appears on your screen, causing many of the missed grabs we see. In a multi player game, you send info to a server (so does everyone else in the match), all of this is processed and sent back to individual players. As I used the term: sync up... that would mean after the Jason player grabs you on his screen and the processed info comes back to you... suddenly you find yourself in his grip.... and yes, even half a second difference is more than enough for this to happen. The grab does not need a reduction at all.... if you do not want to get grabbed by Jason so often... I suggest keeping your distance, which works for as long as you are able to keep your distance.
   Just because Jason was stopped in the movies does not mean he needs to be stopped in the game every time. A game and a movie are two totally different mediums. Things change when shifting into another medium just to make sense. A movie starts with a script.... everyone knows everything that is going to happen throughout the entire movie before filming starts and each movie will have a resolution (sequels are almost never planned until a movie makes enough money to justify one), in the case of these movies... the resolution is Jason being 'stopped'. In a game... things are totally different. Other than starting off looting cabins, the rest of the match is just varying possibilities until something actually occurs. Each thing that occurs may raise the chance of something related to it occurring, no one is leaving in a car or boat unless someone does something to help in repairing it. Will you escape? Will you find a repair part? will Jason kill you? Will you kill Jason? and so on... nothing is certain until certain events happen that make them inevitable.
   You say you think Jason should be overpowered but suggest nerfing him while complaining about scarcity of items that were taken away because of the meta of 'Jason bullying' that was caused by excessive weapons, med sprays and pocket knives. It sounds to me more like you want Jason nerfed further so you can beat on him easier and more often.
   Game balance is pretty good right now and so long as it is possible for both cars and the boat to be repaired and leave with every single counselor in them before Jason even gets his first shift (this does occur but it is rare and takes actual teamwork).... I don't think nerfing Jason in any way, shape or form will help further the balance in this game.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:39 PM, doitagain said:

Don’t forget that wack ass headpunch kill. At least choke looks cool.

Uh, no. Quick choke is the worst looking kill in the game. If you mean the longchoke/headstomp, I agree. 

On 4/3/2018 at 4:12 PM, Freddie Mercury said:

Wha- Darrin... Is that... You?

That isn't my guess.

9 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Looks like The_Minotaur80 made a new account...  

This is.