21 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Good video, @ToneEnthrall if you have links to anymore of these talks please share, they're very interesting.

Agreed, thanks for posting this.

Well it gives an idea of what they are doing with the engine upgrade in the back-end. Hopefully, no more full build downloading each time an update pushes.

3 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Well it gives an idea of what they are doing with the engine upgrade in the back-end. Hopefully, no more full build downloading each time an update pushes.

It should also mean it'll be easier to push out hotfixes and small bug patches.

8 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

I hope so. It's kind of annoying having to wait until the next big patch update (and we all know how long that can take) just to get a couple small, minor bugs fixed.

2 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

We can hope. That would be a highly desirable improvement.

• Like 1

I've always been under the assumption that the lack of small updates was due to not wanting to spend money on console certification and update processes and not that the game is unable to handle patches.

Well this really answers I ton of questions I had about the game. I always wondered why Vanessa the game's meta character is available from the start of the game. Why the game's balance feels differently when players are working together. The game wasn't designed with the metagame in mind and was built to be a more single player experience. Basically with all balance based around the casual quick play experience as opposed to a group of coordinated players playing as a team competitively.

After watching this have more respect for those guys over at Illfonic. With limited time and resources they managed to make something special and then gave us more for free when the game sold well. I am looking forward to the engine upgrade even more then I did before if it means bug fixes will become more of a "plug and play" affair rather than a month wait.

In video games I have always looked for innovation to be the driving force behind anything I crave playing. This generation Alien: Isolation and Friday the 13th The Game have been my favorite experiences. Both games proved that atmosphere and authentic attention to a film's environment along with fun and tence gameplay you can actually make a successful film based video game that isn't a shameless cash grab. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Well this really answers I ton of questions I had about the game. I always wondered why Vanessa the game's meta character is available from the start of the game. Why the game's balance feels differently when players are working together. The game wasn't designed with the metagame in mind and was built to be a more single player experience. Basically with all balance based around the casual quick play experience as opposed to a group of coordinated players playing as a team competitively.                

Yeah, the video does enlighten a bit on the Dev point of view over at Illfonic. You can see how the game balance issues have arisen due to the mindset at development. The admission that perks were basically an afterthought really hit home on how badly they currently are implemented. At least I understand better where they were at in the developmental mindset. I do hope they can revisit the flaws and improve them a bit with some hindsight on how things have been.

1 hour ago, MichaelMemers said:

I've always been under the assumption that the lack of small updates was due to not wanting to spend money on console certification and update processes and not that the game is unable to handle patches.

This is a good point. Basically, they created a pain in the butt for themselves by not allowing small changes on the back-end. I always was pretty pissy about having to download the whole damn thing each time an update pushed. Man I hope this gets fixed with the engine update. Fixes coming through quicker and play testing on their end going smoother will be a welcome change if it is something they address.

Just watched it. Pretty informative.

They really should've reconsidered the perk system. Even the legendary update is basically just putting a paint job on a rusty car at this point.

Their answer for staleness wasn't exactly too thought provoking though. Someone asked what they've done to prevent staleness, they answer with Jason's rage mechanic. I feel like they misunderstood the question.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this very informative. Whatever he was hinting at near the end excites me, he seemed to be aware we would all be seeing it at some point and tailoring answers. 

The flaregun fun fact was pretty cool too. B)

I watched the video and have quite a few thoughts on it.

My biggest takeaway is that we need a larger Illphonic presence on the forum. @[IllFonic]Courier, @[IllFonic]illwill, @[Illfonic]Jered and @Gertz need to engage us here as it appears Gun is taking them information and then Illphonic is not always listening. I was surprised to hear there's a bit of a disconnect between the two companies in terms of how the game should play and what's needed.

I came away from it actually viewing Gun slightly better. They want a true Friday the 13th experience. I was disappointed to see Illphonic can't understand how to balance the game so they don't try.

20 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

Just watched it. Pretty informative.

They really should've reconsidered the perk system. Even the legendary update is basically just putting a paint job on a rusty car at this point.

Their answer for staleness wasn't exactly too thought provoking though. Someone asked what they've done to prevent staleness, they answer with Jason's rage mechanic. I feel like they misunderstood the question.

Pretty sure the guy said stalemates. People hiding in a corner to wait out the match. Which is actually a win condition in the game, but you don't see it happen much, largely because of Rage.

34 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

My biggest takeaway is that we need a larger Illphonic presence on the forum. @[IllFonic]Courier, @[IllFonic]illwill, @[Illfonic]Jered and @Gertz need to engage us here as it appears Gun is taking them information and then Illphonic is not always listening. I was surprised to hear there's a bit of a disconnect between the two companies in terms of how the game should play and what's needed.

I came away from it actually viewing Gun slightly better. They want a true Friday the 13th experience. I was disappointed to see Illphonic can't understand how to balance the game so they don't try.

That doesn't surprise me at all. From playing the game, that becomes painfully evident.

Gun comes up with the ideas and the money and then they get Illfonic to do the actual dev work because no one at Gun knows how to program. They see the big picture for what they want the game to be but they don't understand the technical speed bumps Illfonic has to get over.

This is why we're now waiting on a new engine. The current one is too limiting and Illfonic can't achieve what Gun wants them to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

That doesn't surprise me at all. From playing the game, that becomes painfully evident.

Gun comes up with the ideas and the money and then they get Illfonic to do the actual dev work because no one at Gun knows how to program. They see the big picture for what they want the game to be but they don't understand the technical speed bumps Illfonic has to get over.

This is why we're now waiting on a new engine. The current one is too limiting and Illfonic can't achieve what Gun wants them to.

Yep

It was also interesting to hear the maps were supposed to be even bigger.

I would've liked to see how big they originally were supposed to be.

Higgins - Extra Large

Packanack - Extra Large

Crystal Lake - Extra Large

I would assume perhaps the lake actually played a much bigger role in those maps or the woods were even more dense.

No need for any more Small/Extra Large variants after that though.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:07 PM, bewareofbears said:

This.

On 4/5/2018 at 4:07 AM, bewareofbears said:

Haven't watched the video yet, will do later when I have some time. But, in not surprised to hear there is a disconnect in communication with Illfonic. It wouldn't be the first time they have had miscommunication on a project. Remember that time they built an environment kit for star citizen to the wrong scale. Not saying its all their fault but the fact the multiple titles have had problems due to miscommunication at least rests partly on them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

Haven't watched the video yet, will do later when I have some time. But, in not surprised to hear there is a disconnect in communication with Illfonic. It wouldn't be the first time they have had miscommunication on a project. Remember that time they built an environment kit for star citizen to the wrong scale. Not saying its all their fault but the fact the multiple titles have had problems due to miscommunication at least rests partly on them. 

It definitely makes me wonder. If I remember right, Illphonic chose the week of this game's release to move offices. Someone there is making some terrible calls.

Wasn't it they opened a second office, rather than moving from the first one?

I can't find about it on a quick search, though I seem to recall seeing pictures of the other place before much furniture was in.