Sign in to follow this  
Veevleigh

The Final Girls (Movie)

So, I rewatched the horror-comedy The Final Girls last night, and thought it'd be fun to see what people think of it here.

For those of you who don't know about it, it's from 2015, and a movie about a bunch of modern day teenagers who get trapped in an 80's slasher movie (that they know is a movie). Although it's not Friday the 13th, the film they get trapped in is clearly supposed to be a parody of that. They call it the 'grand daddy of camp slashers', it features a bald, masked killer with a machete who was bullied and harmed by camp counsellors who now comes for revenge with a machete (called 'Billy Murphy' here) who even shows up to a very familiar 'ki ki ki ma ma ma' style sound effect and even very familiar yellow Camp Counsellor shirts. They even sing the same song in a circle by guitar as played at the start of Part One.

It's actually got a pretty good emotional core (the main character's Mum, who has since passed away, starred in the movie so they meet her character, but of course she has no idea who she was in the 'real world') and some great little jokes about slashers in general (having sex or taking your top off literally summons the killer, for example).

Sadly, it's a bit toothless, having been cut down to miss the R rating, so it's parodying slashers without actually getting to show any of the gore, but it's still great fun, and the type of movie I can imagine Friday fans would appreciate.

• Like 1

Haven’t seen it but will give it a shot. Seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil? Worth the free watch on Netflix 

13 hours ago, Kashyyyk said:

Haven’t seen it but will give it a shot. Seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil? Worth the free watch on Netflix 

Tucker and Dale is a great movie! Though a little more of a parody of hillbilly horrors than Friday the 13th, I thought, but it's absolutely fantastic and great fun.

One of my favourites!  Recreated that 80s vibe really well and had what so many modern horrors and slashers forget to include ... characters we actually care about.  Thought the story was clever, the humour was good, and it was really well acted by everyone.  

Biggest problem was the complete lack of gore. You can't homage 80s slasher films and be completely gore free.  Was hoping the Blu-ray release might add some bits back in but its blood free to unfortunately.  Not sure if there's a blu-ray commentary track, need to go back and check, but if there is that would be an interesting listen to find out what happened with the kill scenes, or lack thereof.

The other slight let down was Billy the killer. Presumably he's a Jason tribute, but his mask is awful, some clunky, wooden Aztec looking thing ... I thought they could have designed him much better.

3 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

One of my favourites!  Recreated that 80s vibe really well and had what so many modern horrors and slashers forget to include ... characters we actually care about.  Thought the story was clever, the humour was good, and it was really well acted by everyone.  

Biggest problem was the complete lack of gore. You can't homage 80s slasher films and be completely gore free.  Was hoping the Blu-ray release might add some bits back in but its blood free to unfortunately.  Not sure if there's a blu-ray commentary track, need to go back and check, but if there is that would be an interesting listen to find out what happened with the kill scenes, or lack thereof.

The other slight let down was Billy the killer. Presumably he's a Jason tribute, but his mask is awful, some clunky, wooden Aztec looking thing ... I thought they could have designed him much better.

I remember reading online Sony only agreed to make the film if they went PG-13, so sadly I doubt the gory kills were ever filmed.

I thought the same about Billy's mask until a friend pointed out it actually resembles the totem poles around the camp, which is actually pretty clever.

1 hour ago, Veevleigh said:

I remember reading online Sony only agreed to make the film if they went PG-13, so sadly I doubt the gory kills were ever filmed.

I thought the same about Billy's mask until a friend pointed out it actually resembles the totem poles around the camp, which is actually pretty clever.

Ahhhh, that makes sense ... great spot as I wouldn't have noticed that myself. Think I actually quite like it now! :-) 

31 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Ahhhh, that makes sense ... great spot as I wouldn't have noticed that myself. Think I actually quite like it now! :-) 

I'm the same lol! Made me like it a lot more.