hokiehi

Tips for using a non-running Jason

Smash all windows and lay traps in doorways if need be. I found my biggest issue was counselors running round packanack lodge so might as well try trap them.

Also get used to using the shift so you can start doing istagrab when you shift to someone. I still remember doing that and the guy yells "you fuckers don't know how to play this game!" Still no idea why it made him so mad

It doesn't matter if you have a walking or running Jason. You should be taking out power throughout the map. When the counselor fear is up their stamina is greatly affected and they stumble twice as much. Chasing a Vanessa with the power off is a lot easier then with the power on.

Someone else here also mention throwing knives. Good for them. If you can snap toss them well then there is no counter. Counselors cannot expected it nor do they have the reflexes to block it in time because its near instance.

1 hour ago, Ocular_Pat-down said:

lay traps in doorways if need be

Never do this. Total waste of a trap.

51 minutes ago, Loading said:

Someone else here also mention throwing knives. Good for them. If you can snap toss them well then there is no counter. Counselors cannot expected it nor do they have the reflexes to block it in time because its near instance.

Yes throwing knives are very powerful. 30% damage per knife so just 2 will cripple a counselor. Also -

If you ever see a counselor jump through an open window, smash it (in combat stance) while they are on the ground, then throw the knife once they stand out of animation. This will deal 20% + 30% damage which = crippled. Very important they are standing out of animation otherwise the damage isn't calculated correctly. Otherwise if they jump through a broken window or closed window, that is already 20% so you can just throw the knife when they're still on the ground for the 30% which cripples them.

General rule in combat with knives is - if you have to aim, don't throw it. Mid-range it is all too easy for a counselor to dodge and usually results in wasted knife. Long range, while cool, doesn't give you the opportunity to capitalize on it, and they can safely spray at a distance (though you could argue for resource wasting). Ideally, stick to a range close enough for guaranteed hit with no aim, keep the pressure on and don't give them time to spray.

Knife can also be immediately interrupted with block (and slash) which makes it safe for group combat. Another good tactic is to interrupt a counselor's swing with knife and immediately grab (much like block grab). Knife interrupted with slash is also a good combo, particularly for +Weapon Str Jasons this is a fast, devastating 60% damage. Doing this twice kills a counselor with any Jason. Knives are a limited resource so close range guaranteed hits are the way to go, don't gamble with them. Triggering in/out of combat stance to centre your target beforehand also helps.

1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

Yes throwing knives are very powerful. 30% damage per knife so just 2 will cripple a counselor. Also -

If you ever see a counselor jump through an open window, smash it (in combat stance) while they are on the ground, then throw the knife once they stand out of animation. This will deal 20% + 30% damage which = crippled. Very important they are standing out of animation otherwise the damage isn't calculated correctly. Otherwise if they jump through a broken window or closed window, that is already 20% so you can just throw the knife when they're still on the ground for the 30% which cripples them.

General rule in combat with knives is - if you have to aim, don't throw it. Mid-range it is all too easy for a counselor to dodge and usually results in wasted knife. Long range, while cool, doesn't give you the opportunity to capitalize on it, and they can safely spray at a distance (though you could argue for resource wasting). Ideally, stick to a range close enough for guaranteed hit with no aim, keep the pressure on and don't give them time to spray.

Knife can also be immediately interrupted with block (and slash) which makes it safe for group combat. Another good tactic is to interrupt a counselor's swing with knife and immediately grab (much like block grab). Knife interrupted with slash is also a good combo, particularly for +Weapon Str Jasons this is a fast, devastating 60% damage. Doing this twice kills a counselor with any Jason. Knives are a limited resource so close range guaranteed hits are the way to go, don't gamble with them. Triggering in/out of combat stance to centre your target beforehand also helps.

When snapping TK quick off the run, if I line the shot off the top of my right shoulder it's pretty good. But fast walking Jason is off the right side of his mask to score a good hit. It seems to be pretty close with minimal to no aim. Does that sound about right? What spot do you use for a quick throw?

44 minutes ago, Redrum138 said:

When snapping TK quick off the run, if I line the shot off the top of my right shoulder it's pretty good. But fast walking Jason is off the right side of his mask to score a good hit. It seems to be pretty close with minimal to no aim. Does that sound about right? What spot do you use for a quick throw?

If I need a mid-range throw, what I do rather than aim is enter combat stance and move a little to the right, then exit to throw. I have more success with that for mid range than aiming, since as soon as a counselor witnesses you aiming they tend to run around like a maniac making it more difficult. I am quite adept at quickly moving the aim to the right and immediately throwing, but the combat stance method is better in my experience. Other times you will just need to move the aim up if they are already centered in your sights, but it is situational.

Again though, close range with no aim at all is best. The only time you would go for mid range is if Tommy and sweater girl are together, then you definitely need to stay out of sweater range. 

EDIT: There are exceptions, for example if counselor stumbles / opens a door / climbs through a window, basically any animation they cannot get out of. That’s when you can take time to aim. But in general combat you basically never want them to see you aim. 

1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

If I need a mid-range throw, what I do rather than aim is enter combat stance and move a little to the right, then exit to throw. I have more success with that for mid range than aiming, since as soon as a counselor witnesses you aiming they tend to run around like a maniac making it more difficult.

Huh, ok! I'll have to try that. Up close, I can quick throw like a ninja but mid to long range is definitely my weakness, and yeah if the guys I play see me aim I normally just pull it back to save the knife. The ONLY time I take the shot is like you said when they go for a window or door. Thanks for the info @Tommy86

3 minutes ago, Redrum138 said:

Huh, ok! I'll have to try that. Up close, I can quick throw like a ninja but mid to long range is definitely my weakness, and yeah if the guys I play see me aim I normally just pull it back to save the knife. The ONLY time I take the shot is like you said when they go for a window or door. Thanks for the info @Tommy86

No worries :) There is actually a couple of things you can do with knife cancel but it is probably better left for PM right now. Don't know if people are ready for it yet.

57 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

No worries :) There is actually a couple of things you can do with knife cancel but it is probably better left for PM right now. Don't know if people are ready for it yet.

I hear ya, I use knives on slashing hits for quick limp. But, That's not a big thing. Otherwise, on block I'll use them. That's fun, especially when it's through a window they thought they had a good angle on me through. Knives are so versatile!

On 03/04/2018 at 9:32 AM, Tommy86 said:

Huh weird, worked plenty times at Packanack....