ShiftySamurai

Welcome to the Salt Mines

well problem is now is i only have the 100o jason matches left so if i get a counselor im not gonna play the match just cause im a couseler and im 150 no reason to anymore that does not mean i deserve salt.

20 minutes ago, ckleckner said:

well problem is now is i only have the 100o jason matches left so if i get a counselor im not gonna play the match just cause im a couseler and im 150 no reason to anymore that does not mean i deserve salt.

You won’t play as Jason every time in Quick Play. So, yes, sitting in the lobby, letting the game start, and then ditching it because you didn’t get selected as the killer is going to earn salt. If you end up in the salt mines with other players who do the exact same thing it would be 100% working as intended. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, ckleckner said:

Yeah, it does. If you're in a lobby and leave the moment you realize you're not Jason, you're worse than useless -- you were a wasted space that could have been filled by a productive counselor. Leaving screws both the other counselors who are down a man from the start, and the Jason who's playing against a weaker, more boring opposition. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ShiftySamurai said:

You won’t play as Jason every time in Quick Play. So, yes, sitting in the lobby, letting the game start, and then ditching it because you didn’t get selected as the killer is going to earn salt. If you end up in the salt mines with other players who do the exact same thing it would be 100% working as intended. 

I am very happy to hear this, because this happens all too often. 

Some play the game to enjoy the game, and some play purely for stats. Without stats, points or achievements of some kind, they don’t see the point in playing.

I’m better off without them in the match. It opens up a counselor slot for someone who wants to play. 

4 hours ago, ikarikh said:

If 20 people get stuck in salt mines and thus stop playing because they have no one to play with, no ones going to feel sorry for them.

GTAV's system works the same. For you to get stuck in a bad players lobby, you had to be trolling and killing other players OFTEN. It's not a one time deal.

So your post comes across as someone who trolled on GTAV and got punished and now likes to troll on F13 and is scared of being punished again.

Protip: Stop trolling.

No system should be so punitive as to make players stop playing a game they paid for. If said system only sweeps up players, as in its coded in their gameplay to leave or end games/lobbies, then that's one thing. My concern was for players who blue screen and or opt out to play with friends, a handful of times daily.

in GTAV - and let's make one thing clear - killing is the name of the game. FYI, you don't have to troll to land yourself in the Chokey. Players habitually employ their personal vehicles - tanks, jets, planes, batmobiles, flying cars/bikes - as their weapon of choice in all types of warfare, including all out battles, 1v1 battles and team battles. Engaging with these players and weaponry - often becomes unavoidable - making accruing bad sports tickets unavoidable. Unless you're an advocate for leaving lobbies....

On 3/23/2018 at 9:29 PM, dmack621 said:

Dashboarding isn't an internet problem it's a game problem. My internet is great but i can still be dashboarded by the game at no fault of my own.

Edit: Was posting from my phone that died so never finished.

So dashboarding is basically like a domino effect/virus that is attached to the game servers themselves.

So Player 1 hosts a lobby in QP (or Private, doesn't matter), players 2-8 join said lobby. Maybe player 1's internet isn't great, or the people that were connected to him are in a different region. Whatever the case, players 2-8 eventually get the "connection to host lost" message. 

Okay, so now at LEAST 2 of those players if not more are basically "marked" with the stigma of the poor connection to that host even though that lobby is closed. These players have no idea they've been "marked" and so they go off to find another game.

So now I'm hosting a lobby and currently we have 6 players in game which is midway in progress. The server recognizes 2 open slots in my game and begins to try and fill those slots whether the game is already in progress or not (look at your rooms during play, you'll see spectators, they never stay when they realize game in progress but it DOES put them in.) So one of those players is player 4 from the former player 1's lobby ... the server tries to put him into my game, and because he is entering with that "mark" of his previously failed game connection it dashboards me and ends the game for everyone in my lobby.

Same works for private. You invite some friends, one of them previously lost connection to a host before you invited them, and when they join, whether mid-game or not it dashboards you.

This is not something in the host's control whatsoever. But it happens frequently enough that it would take about 1 week for players to be penalized for something they have ZERO control over as host. Dashboarding is not quitting, it's having the game itself fail on you because some other player didn't restart the game after a bad connection and it is JUST as frustrating to the host as it is to everyone who was in his lobby. 

Speaking of which, you shouldn't HAVE to restart the game every other match either, and again no host has any control over whether or not other players restart their games before joining his lobby.

So no matter what way it's worded, people are going to be punished because of an unstable game that decides to pass around one bad connection across the board, infecting as many lobbies as it can in a domino effect. 

You ERASE salt by playing normal matches without quitting.

So if you play for a few hours a night and get 2 disconnects during that time, it will be counteracted by all the matches you played that night where you finished the game.

Unless you're disconnecting every other match for hours on end, the "Salt" system will NOT affect you.

Getting Salt =/= Being sent to the Salt mines. You have to earn a LOT of salt points to get sent there. And a d/c gives you the LOWEST amount of salt points.

Long story short, you have nothing to worry about :P

On 3/24/2018 at 1:52 AM, BlackKidFromPart5 said:

No system should be so punitive as to make players stop playing a game they paid for. If said system only sweeps up players, as in its coded in their gameplay to leave or end games/lobbies, then that's one thing. My concern was for players who blue screen and or opt out to play with friends, a handful of times daily.

in GTAV - and let's make one thing clear - killing is the name of the game. FYI, you don't have to troll to land yourself in the Chokey. Players habitually employ their personal vehicles - tanks, jets, planes, batmobiles, flying cars/bikes - as their weapon of choice in all types of warfare, including all out battles, 1v1 battles and team battles. Engaging with these players and weaponry - often becomes unavoidable - making accruing bad sports tickets unavoidable. Unless you're an advocate for leaving lobbies....

If you go to a concert you paid money for and start punching people, groping women, or whatever else and get yourself thrown out of the venue, do you think you deserve a refund, let alone will get one? Do you think ANYONE will feel sorry for you having paid money and getting kicked out and losing your money?

Why do you feel games are different? If you manage to get yourself in a bad players queue for being a bad player, why do you think anyone would feel sympathy for you and the fact you lost your investment now?

Don't want your game obsolete and your investment lost? Don't be a bad player.

If you simply cannot enjoy the game without doing illegal things, enjoy the short ride while it lasts. No ones going to feel bad for you after.

• Like 3

Just had a host ragequit on me after I killed him on PS4. Can I list him here for a preemptive salt mine candidate?

6 minutes ago, Drawxne said:

Just had a host ragequit on me after I killed him on PS4. Can I list him here for a preemptive salt mine candidate?

No. 

The system will handle itself. Just find another lobby to play in and enjoy your night.

Courier said no. As long as you let the kill animation complete you can leave without penalty. 

12 hours ago, [IllFonic]Courier said:

There has been some confusion on what "Leaving a match early" means.
To clarify, players (who are not currently hosting) will not gain any infractions for leaving a match AFTER they have been killed.

There probably are, but there was a statement - and I'll be paraphrasing - that 'occasional loss of connection' would NOT earn trips to the salt mines. This on the other hand implies regular loss of connection COULD. Now if you'll tell me the "leaving" part applies only to people who choose to "leave match" via in-game-option, I'll get the idea of it. But I was under the impression that every loss of connection will lead to a certain amount of salt points.

However, the scenario which I described and which frequently happens to me is still an issue for me personally. If I'm hosting a lobby which noone can connect to and I leave the empty lobby & therefore closing it down while "waiting for players" that'll never join, am I still leaving as a host and therefore gaining salt? Or is it only counted as "leaving" after the cutscene rolled?

Furthermore, since Shifty mentioned recording in game footage for Jason teamers and such...is the idea that you'll nullify your salt-counter if you can proove that you left a match because of Jason teaming? Or was this meant as an "instead of leaving, report them" kind of appeal?

Edited by Thor_Bjarnason
Re-phrasing

I think this is a good idea.

Although dedicated servers are a better solution, but meanwhile I think that salt mines is totally acceptable and hopefully it will reduce grumpy salt hosts for a long period in the future.

Once implemented It would be interesting to know/see how many players are actually expelled to the salt mines.

I vote to have teamkill added for becoming a salt mine candidate: yesterday, 2 different lobbies, different players which drove me over by ? 

@ShiftySamurai What about people who want to be jason and now idle for 2mins instead of leaving. Or suicide every time they are counselor?

And what about timewasters who keep you in a game by just fooling around as jason?

The expanded clarification from the Devs was a much needed plus. Still interested to see how this whole thing plays out. I am glad that they are trying to rangel in the Rage-Quitters and hope that this works as intended.

My fear is that the Trolls (like cockroaches) will always seem to find a way.

Put me in the “cautiously optimistic” category for now.

@ShiftySamurai The only issue is have with this, is that I’ve been host at least 5 times I can remember. And the game crashed. Is this going to count against a player as a quit? If not then I’m fine with this. Because I would’ve already been a level 150 had it not been for rage quits and hosts ending lobbies 

4 hours ago, Wolledc said:

Once implemented It would be interesting to know/see how many players are actually expelled to the salt mines.

I vote to have teamkill added for becoming a salt mine candidate: yesterday, 2 different lobbies, different players which drove me over by ? 

I’ve been thinking about this. I have an idea also. Just encountered teamers this morning who were working together. It turned into war of words over PSN messenger. I captured the video of the culprits, and screen capped the messenger comments. Thought about turning it into a YouTube video for my channel, but I kinda feel bad about emotionally destroying teenagers. I’m definitely reporting the video to JasonKillsBugs.com if I don’t make the YouTube thing though.

I digress. Turning friendly fire off was a nice touch, but since cars aren’t affected, team killers are still rampant. What if there was a “hardcore mode” that turns all friendly fire back on in their own lobbies? Instead of punishing trolls, you’re giving them an incentive to go away on their own, by choice. Once in this mode, they’ll never leave.

4 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

And what about timewasters who keep you in a game by just fooling around as jason?

If a Jason player is just wasting everyone’s time (like hiding in the water, etc) then it makes it very easy to escape, and then leave the game. 

I saw another question about leaving from the lobby screen, and no, leaving in the lobby screen before the game starts will not generate salt. That’s the perfect time to leave. 

12 hours ago, ckleckner said:

You wanna play Jason, then host a private lobby and make yourself Jason otherwise have patience or enjoy the salt mines!

So now I’ll be forced to play with 10 year old, racist, homophobic, annoying, dancing, trolling little fucks??? Awesome. Can’t wait......

1 minute ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

So now I’ll be forced to play with 10 year old, racist, homophobic, annoying, dancing, trolling little fucks??? Awesome. Can’t wait......

If you routinely quit in the middle of games, that’s what it looks like. But as you’ll see throughout the thread, there are specific timeframes throughout a match that determine whether or not you’ll earn salt. Cautiously optimistic here, but it seems to me like the idea was well-thought out. 

13 hours ago, ckleckner said:

then ull probablly have a bunch of people who suicde just so they dont get salt

This is actually a fairly good point, though I'm not bothered by it terribly. I could see in-game suicides spiking.