Sign in to follow this  
JasonLives86

Should running Jasons be able to sprint?

I think if they were to allow the running Jasons to sprint, this would get rid of the issue of counselors that can easily get away from Jason even at a casual jogging pace. Jason sprinted in the early movies after all. I'm basing this on spectating numerous games today where running Jasons couldn't even grab a casually jogging counselor right in front of him, and to make matters worse, these counselors would even occasionally stop for a second to let him catch up, just to continue casually jogging. This is absolutely pathetic and just plain sad to watch. Now I'm not saying Jason should be able to sprint faster than a counselor, but he should be able to grab a counselor jogging right in front of him. I think the way it should be done is make it like the counselors. He can walk, jog like he does now, and sprint. I feel like this would also help solve the long standing issue of ring around the Rosie in cabins around couches and tables. Either this, or give jason another slight speed increase, although I reaslise that is probably controversial, and I assure you that is NOT my intention with this post, this is just my opinion on this issue. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that Jason sprinted in parts 2,3,and 4. What he usually did was a medium-paced jog towards the end of each film. If you want a sprinting Jason to be in the game, then that Jason has to be the remake Jason because he was seen doing a full out sprint in many scenes in the movie. But since Gun/Illfonic supposedly don't have the rights to Remake Jason or the Freddy vs Jason Jason, it would seem unlikely. But I still do think that those two Jasons can find a way into the game one way or another in the future.

36 minutes ago, JasonLives86 said:

This is absolutely pathetic and just plain sad to watch.

I do agree that it is sad to watch but just like BigJay said it was more of a medium paced jog for the most part while the remake was actual sprinting. I definitely wouldn't mind them adding an option for Jason to sprint but it would probably need to be implemented with a stamina bar much like the counselors have but drains quicker.

Maybe something like he can sprint for 5-10 seconds straight before it runs out and when it does he can only walk(can't jog) for the next 5-10 seconds while it fills back up. However! At this point it is highly unlikely that such a change would get added to the game. 

31 minutes ago, j03audette said:

I do agree that it is sad to watch but just like BigJay said it was more of a medium paced jog for the most part while the remake was actual sprinting. I definitely wouldn't mind them adding an option for Jason to sprint but it would probably need to be implemented with a stamina bar much like the counselors have but drains quicker.

Maybe something like he can sprint for 5-10 seconds straight before it runs out and when it does he can only walk(can't jog) for the next 5-10 seconds while it fills back up. However! At this point it is highly unlikely that such a change would get added to the game. 

Right, this is what I was thinking as well. It's been a while since I watched the early movies, so his running speed is kind of fuzzy in my memory, but I think you're right about the medium pace. Maybe a sprint would be too much, but I do think his run speed should be at least somewhat faster than it is now. I don't know about you, but when I see him running in the game, to me he looks more like he's just going for a jog, rather than being intensely determined to catch up to a fleeing counselor.

9 minutes ago, JasonLives86 said:

Right, this is what I was thinking as well. It's been a while since I watched the early movies, so his running speed is kind of fuzzy in my memory, but I think you're right about the medium pace. Maybe a sprint would be too much, but I do think his run speed should be at least somewhat faster than it is now. I don't know about you, but when I see him running in the game, to me he looks more like he's just going for a jog, rather than being intensely determined to catch up to a fleeing counselor.

I agree! I've personally always found the running Jason's jogging animation to look rather goofy. At the very less while jogging he should be able to catch up/gain ground on jogging counselors thus forcing them to start sprinting.

• Like 1

Fuck no. But there could be something like lunge but it should be risky. Lunge is available for "Can Run" Jasons only and it can only be used while Shift is on cooldown. He basically launches himself forwards and grabs the counselor in front of him. But it consumes half bar of the Shift. Simply increases its cooldown.

Depends...he only slightly sprinted in Part 4 and the Remake he did a full out sprint. He shouldn’t be any faster. He catches ground with slow counselors who are jogging pretty fast believe it or not, it’s better then it was before. There have been times where I have jogged as Tiffany and I can visually see Jason catching up to me, and if you play a slow counselor then you basically have to sprint the entire way because Jason is so fast. How fast do you guys want Jason to be? He was NEVER super fast in the movies. A 110 pound girl should be a hell of a lot faster than a 300 pound man stalking her and trying to kill her.

• Thanks 1

@JasonLives86 Perhaps... one day.... if they ever get the rights to the remake Jason (questionable at best if they will ever even try again), there can be a Jason that sprints (with a stamina bar at least).... maybe. Jason can grab a counselor jogging in front of him... if they are within grab range. The new grab animation and adjustments coming in the next update will add a bit of a lunge to his grab, but we will have to wait and see how it works until we can play with... and against it. 
    There are ways for Jason to catch up to any counselor now. Practice with the throwing knives... they work well once you can use them effectively. I used offline mode to get better with knives and it helped a lot, particularly with long distance archery throwing and finding the spawn points of the knives. Running or powerwalking after them until your morph and shift regenerate, judiciously using sense and stalk to help out while morphing ahead and using shift to catch up and grab or slash them.

@The Gunslinger as I stated above, and shifty mentioned in the post about new grab animations.... there will be a bit of a lunge in the new animation. Please explain why this should EVER have ANYTHING to do with causing a partial or full shift regeneration or increasing its cool down. A lunge is vastly different from what shift is.... yet a lunge added to the grab does add some visual realism to the game, which will make it look better. 

@JennyMyers1984 I play Mitch... a lot. Speed of 3... lowest it gets for counselors. I also use the 'r' button (I play on PC) to look behind me all the time. It helps me avoid knives thrown by Jason and to see if he is catching up. Running in a straight line... even the running Jasons are not catching up, until my stamina is depleted. But if the Jason changes his angle of approach, watches which way the counselor is going, Jason can catch up by cutting the angle towards the counselor's destination. Even though he is slower, he is taking a shorter route towards the point where their paths would cross and can (and will) catch up if the counselor insists on getting to that destination. This can make it seem like he is indeed running slightly faster than you when in fact, he is not.
     Only Jaws fans will get this, but...... "5 Degrees Port... Hold Your Course!"

14 minutes ago, Ahab said:

@JasonLives86 Perhaps... one day.... if they ever get the rights to the remake Jason (questionable at best if they will ever even try again), there can be a Jason that sprints (with a stamina bar at least).... maybe. Jason can grab a counselor jogging in front of him... if they are within grab range. The new grab animation and adjustments coming in the next update will add a bit of a lunge to his grab, but we will have to wait and see how it works until we can play with... and against it. 
    There are ways for Jason to catch up to any counselor now. Practice with the throwing knives... they work well once you can use them effectively. I used offline mode to get better with knives and it helped a lot, particularly with long distance archery throwing and finding the spawn points of the knives. Running or powerwalking after them until your morph and shift regenerate, judiciously using sense and stalk to help out while morphing ahead and using shift to catch up and grab or slash them.

@The Gunslinger as I stated above, and shifty mentioned in the post about new grab animations.... there will be a bit of a lunge in the new animation. Please explain why this should EVER have ANYTHING to do with causing a partial or full shift regeneration or increasing its cool down. A lunge is vastly different from what shift is.... yet a lunge added to the grab does add some visual realism to the game, which will make it look better. 

@JennyMyers1984 I play Mitch... a lot. Speed of 3... lowest it gets for counselors. I also use the 'r' button (I play on PC) to look behind me all the time. It helps me avoid knives thrown by Jason and to see if he is catching up. Running in a straight line... even the running Jasons are not catching up, until my stamina is depleted. But if the Jason changes his angle of approach, watches which way the counselor is going, Jason can catch up by cutting the angle towards the counselor's destination. Even though he is slower, he is taking a shorter route towards the point where their paths would cross and can (and will) catch up if the counselor insists on getting to that destination. This can make it seem like he is indeed running slightly faster than you when in fact, he is not.
     Only Jaws fans will get this, but...... "5 Degrees Port... Hold Your Course!"

I usually play Jenny (speed of 3 so just like with Mitch it is as low as it gets) or Tiffany and I can tell a difference in the two. Don’t know but for some reason if I do jog as Jenny...Jason WILL slowly catch up to me. I use the look back button to avoid knives as well and due to Jenny’s low stumble chance I have a clear way of seeing how easily he’ll catch up to me while I’m jogging. It just seems as though he catches up A LOT quicker if I don’t start to sprint and just jog. Maybe that’s just me being paranoid as a counselor but Jason is obviously a lot faster than he was pre-patch.

@JennyMyers1984 in a straight line, following directly in your footsteps... it will seem that Jason very closely matches your pace. If he is slightly slower or slightly faster, I cannot see it at all.... But, through some long chases, I never have to sprint to get extra room between us so long as he directly follows behind me taking the same path I did. So he cannot be catching up or I would have to sprint for breathing room. Remember, always watch your stamina when Jason is not in sight, you will need all of it when he is in sight. It can be difficult for us slow counselor players to play 'keep away' from the big guy.
   The only time I have to sprint as Mitch for breathing room is when Jason is trying to cut me off before I reach my destination by using the angle of a shorter route. I could explain this so much easier with illustrations, but it is taken from basic physics and geometry.
    Here is the simplest example I can come up with right now. The same basis as a WWII sub firing a torpedo at a ship. It is not fired directly at the ship... the ship will no longer be there when the torpedo gets to that point. It is fired in the direction of where the two will meet with both of their different speeds taken into account from their initial positions. The faster torpedo in this case will be 'caught' by the slower ship where their paths cross... or at the 'destination' of the fast mover, even though the fast mover covered more distance. This is reversing rolls of course, but look at it this way.... A slower torpedo can be fired at a faster ship taking into account distance and speed of both movers to find where their paths will cross. With the correct angle of attack, the slower torpedo will hit the faster ship. This is obviously not possible with the slow mover behind the fast, but when the fast is not directly behind but off to one side, the angle of attack for the pursuer changes and he can indeed catch up to you (depending of course on the positioning and destination) by covering less ground to the same destination.
     Its all about positioning, differing speeds from the starting point and distance for each mover to travel to the destination (which is usually a window to jump through for us), but each change in direction is a new starting point. You simply have to try and keep a shorter route to the destination than Jason can possibly take... sometimes, this is very difficult and he can seem faster than you. Even the slightest difference in your route to Jason's route chasing you can make him seem faster for this reason.
   Two nights ago, I used this principal to get away from a Part 6 Jason (no bonus or penalty water speed) in the boat as well (I could see the icon for Jason on the mini map). It worked well, but if I had five or ten more yards to the exit he would have caught me. I had to explain all of this to the Jason player in the lobby as well. He seemed to understand.
   I find pattern recognition, basic physics and geometry to be very simple concepts and have no problem pulling this stuff off just off the top of my head... but I find that sometimes I have a hard time explaining things like this to people that have not recognized it for what it is. I hope this explanation helps.

33 minutes ago, Ahab said:

@JennyMyers1984 in a straight line, following directly in your footsteps... it will seem that Jason very closely matches your pace. If he is slightly slower or slightly faster, I cannot see it at all.... But, through some long chases, I never have to sprint to get extra room between us so long as he directly follows behind me taking the same path I did. So he cannot be catching up or I would have to sprint for breathing room. Remember, always watch your stamina when Jason is not in sight, you will need all of it when he is in sight. It can be difficult for us slow counselor players to play 'keep away' from the big guy.
   The only time I have to sprint as Mitch for breathing room is when Jason is trying to cut me off before I reach my destination by using the angle of a shorter route. I could explain this so much easier with illustrations, but it is taken from basic physics and geometry.
    Here is the simplest example I can come up with right now. The same basis as a WWII sub firing a torpedo at a ship. It is not fired directly at the ship... the ship will no longer be there when the torpedo gets to that point. It is fired in the direction of where the two will meet with both of their different speeds taken into account from their initial positions. The faster torpedo in this case will be 'caught' by the slower ship where their paths cross... or at the 'destination' of the fast mover, even though the fast mover covered more distance. This is reversing rolls of course, but look at it this way.... A slower torpedo can be fired at a faster ship taking into account distance and speed of both movers to find where their paths will cross. With the correct angle of attack, the slower torpedo will hit the faster ship. This is obviously not possible with the slow mover behind the fast, but when the fast is not directly behind but off to one side, the angle of attack for the pursuer changes and he can indeed catch up to you (depending of course on the positioning and destination) by covering less ground to the same destination.
     Its all about positioning, differing speeds from the starting point and distance for each mover to travel to the destination (which is usually a window to jump through for us), but each change in direction is a new starting point. You simply have to try and keep a shorter route to the destination than Jason can possibly take... sometimes, this is very difficult and he can seem faster than you. Even the slightest difference in your route to Jason's route chasing you can make him seem faster for this reason.
   Two nights ago, I used this principal to get away from a Part 6 Jason (no bonus or penalty water speed) in the boat as well (I could see the icon for Jason on the mini map). It worked well, but if I had five or ten more yards to the exit he would have caught me. I had to explain all of this to the Jason player in the lobby as well. He seemed to understand.
   I find pattern recognition, basic physics and geometry to be very simple concepts and have no problem pulling this stuff off just off the top of my head... but I find that sometimes I have a hard time explaining things like this to people that have not recognized it for what it is. I hope this explanation helps.

Yes I understand exactly what you said. I have had a lot of times where I have to backtrack and find a different route from Jason due to him trying to cut me off. I don’t ever really have to SPRINT per-say in order to get breathing room, it’s just if I’m too close to Jason the Darth Vader grab will catch me pretty easily (I believe his grab is at a good length but at times the lag between the two players can cause some pretty long grabs). I never really have to worry about stamina while playing Jenny simply because even if she is almost drained on stamina, one hit on Jason and her stamina bar will fill up almost completely. You gotta bait Jason into a grab and avoid it then turn around a whack him with a bat, although most experienced players won’t fall for this trick. A 5 stamina will get you from point A to point B without much of an issue, the only two counselors I have difficulty with is Lachappa and Deborah when dealing with stamina. You’re kind of forced to jog with them because their stamina can’t hold out for very long. I can’t tell you how many times I have chased Deb for only 30 seconds and she is already winded and out of stamina.

• Like 1

If Jason could sprint in game then there would be no point in playing as anyone other than Vanessa. Slow characters have it bad as it is.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BigJay said:

I wouldn't say that Jason sprinted in parts 2,3,and 4. What he usually did was a medium-paced jog towards the end of each film. If you want a sprinting Jason to be in the game, then that Jason has to be the remake Jason because he was seen doing a full out sprint in many scenes in the movie. But since Gun/Illfonic supposedly don't have the rights to Remake Jason or the Freddy vs Jason Jason, it would seem unlikely. But I still do think that those two Jasons can find a way into the game one way or another in the future.

i agree on 2 and 3 but 4 when he chases trish to her house was a little faster than a jog

No that's ridiculous this would just put fixers in an even worst situation.

I swear to God it's like everyone wants only Vanessa to be viable in this game with these suggestions.

• Like 2

I think they may have to increase Vanessa's stumbling when she is afraid to make her a little less perfect for outrunning Jason during a chase. 

I honestly think Jenny needs a +1 to her speed and another stat dropped by a point. She should be able to kite Jason well like a lot of final girls. I'm a Jenny main and manage this but to be more in line with the trope she shouldn't be so slow. Chris Higgins had a decent sprint even after she landed face first into a rock.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:37 PM, JasonLives86 said:

I feel like this would also help solve the long standing issue of ring around the Rosie in cabins around couches and tables. Either this, or give jason another slight speed increase, 

I think instead of a speed increase or sprint option, to fix this problem Jason should just be able to break the furniture. If Jason can stop a moving car and break down doors, why not break a table so you cant run around it anymore. I literally watched a ring around the rosie with Vanessa for 5 minutes the other day. It was PAINFUL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mtk9210 said:

I think instead of a speed increase or sprint option, to fix this problem Jason should just be able to break the furniture. If Jason can stop a moving car and break down doors, why not break a table so you cant run around it anymore. I literally watched a ring around the rosie with Vanessa for 5 minutes the other day. It was PAINFUL.

Exactly, I completely agree! Heck, I believe Jason can even break down the fences in the game, and obviously the windows.

2 minutes ago, JasonLives86 said:

Exactly, I completely agree! Heck, I believe Jason can even break down the fences in the game, and obviously the windows.

I'd love to see one day where if Jason is in rage mode, he can just go in and flip tables and all out of the way and pin the counselors in. But I will keep dreaming.

Just now, Mtk9210 said:

I'd love to see one day where if Jason is in rage mode, he can just go in and flip tables and all out of the way and pin the counselors in. But I will keep dreaming.

:lol: yes that would be so awesome! Kind of like that scene in Halloween H20 where Lauries crawling under the tables while Michael Myers just flips them all out of the way.

3 minutes ago, Mtk9210 said:

Yes, This would be great in RAGE Mode, Break table and door easier, plus A brisk sprint. None of this power walk crap. Make it faster for the Jason's who can move quicker. But across the board make them move quicker.

39 minutes ago, Erik13E said:

Yes, This would be great in RAGE Mode, Break table and door easier, plus A brisk sprint. None of this power walk crap. Make it faster for the Jason's who can move quicker. But across the board make them move quicker.

Well yes, like I said, in rage mode. Maybe the new engine will give them more freedom to give Jason some aggressive aspects while he is in rage. I think he needs some more perks than just walking through doors (to a ready and waiting bat) and increased sense need to come with "Rage" mode.