Sign in to follow this  
PrincessTiffany

Let's talk about bear traps.

16 hours ago, Thatguyinktown said:

I've even seen counselors trap the radio that's on.

You hate rock and roll, Jason? Well, fuck you! 

• Like 1

There are reasons for placements on both. The only stupid play in F13 is the one you slavishly commit to without considering the circumstances of the match.

22 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

The trap can be set in the door jam so that it can't be stepped on from inside or outside with the door shut and Jason can't side step it. The only way past it is to shift. If he does that in a 1 door cabin, he either has to step in it to get out or wait for his shift to cool down.

How is this done?

2 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

How is this done?

Open the door, set the trap in the jam with the door open, shut and lock the door. There isn't enough room in the actual door jam to sidestep it.

Just now, MichaelMemers said:

That sounds dangerous.

It requires you to have good aim, which not all men do.  Just ask the person who cleans toilets.

41 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

And closing/barricading the door isn't going to teleport your character onto the armed trap?

If the trigger is right in the middle of the jam or just barely toward the outside you can close the door and bar it no problem. For a counselor to get caught in it they have to put their nose to the door and even then they don't always get caught.

The first one is how I like to set them when I have a little more time to get it right. 

The second one is how I set them when I'm in a hurry. I like being sideways to the door because it's easier to set them right against the door and reduce the area Jason has to sidestep it.

Edited by AdmiralJT

If I'm putting it in the doorjamb, then I arm the trap after barring the door - the prompt will still be accessible from inside the cabin, and won't overlap with the door bar prompt.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

If I'm putting it in the doorjamb, then I arm the trap after barring the door - the prompt will still be accessible from inside the cabin, and won't overlap with the door bar prompt.

WY900.gif

12 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Sometimes I have problems lining up to get the prompt for the trap and not the door if I do it that way. Not sure if it's due to bad ping times or something clunky on the PS4.

2 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Sometimes I have problems lining up to get the prompt for the trap and not the door if I do it that way. Not sure if it's due to bad ping times or something clunky on the PS4.

Combat stance trap placement isn't just for Jason, though. If what you mean is the two prompts overlap, I haven't found that to be the case on PC with an xbox controller, but of course ymmv.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Combat stance trap placement isn't just for Jason, though. If what you mean is the two prompts overlap, I haven't found that to be the case on PC with an xbox controller, but of course ymmv.

On the PS4 you can't enter combat stance with a trap. Often times it pulls only the door prompt when trying to set the trap.

12 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

There is really no definitively right or wrong place to set a trap.

On the contrary, I played a couple games in a lobby once where someone didn't seem to even be picking up the traps, just setting them where they were spawned. Probably just to get the point bonus. And since it didn't seem to have been picked up, and being the idiot that I am, I just went to grab it and got stuck in it.

I'll grant you that setting a trap against a wall is pretty pointless but like you said...

11 minutes ago, Hell Toupee said:

being the idiot that I am, I just went to grab it and got stuck in it.

For the record I've done that too.

On 14/03/2018 at 2:21 PM, PrincessTiffany said:

Bear Traps

I always get annoyed, when players always set the bear traps inside the house by the door. It is supposed to be set outside the door to have it's full benefits.

There is no "supposed to" in case of bear traps. There are pros and cons both ways.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:11 PM, Thatguyinktown said:

Why didn't I think of this?  Gotta try that lol.

Honestly, counselor traps are widely pointless.

As Jason you can see them, you can side step them or shift past them.

In front of the door, you can just side swipe down doors that have traps in front of them and shift through.  Behind the door, you can shift through or walk around.  

If you think trapping the front of a one door cabin is a wise choice, and Jason can't side swipe the door down for whatever reason, the smart Jason will just go around the entire cabin and take out the like 2 or 3 windows, and then leave.  You're now stuck in that cabin and forced to reset your trap to get out...or take window damage...your choice. 

I've seen people who will trap their own objectives just to hear someone else stupidly step into it but apparently that's a strategy now. 

On 3/14/2018 at 8:11 PM, Thatguyinktown said:

Like what can I say man? It was playing my jam!

On 3/14/2018 at 5:21 PM, PrincessTiffany said:

Bear Traps

I always get annoyed, when players always set the bear traps inside the house by the door. It is supposed to be set outside the door to have it's full benefits.

So are you saying you're a Defender of the Holy Doors? Lol

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/17615-defenders-of-the-holy-doors/

*The Chad approves of traps on either side of the door, but for the inside ones learn proper placement!

I still don't understand the rationale for putting it outside the door.  In addition to being a great way to ensnare fellow counselors, does it REALLY provide a benefit to counselors in a pursuit anyway?

Let's break it down: in simple game mechanics, a trap is something that pauses a players movement, holding them in place for several seconds.  This is used to buy time in the game, and presumably either close distance between a counselor and jason for jason, or put more distance between a counselor and Jason for counselors.

So with that in mind, lets discuss the best case scenario if jason is trapped outside a door.  The counselor can choose to escape the cabin, but they've already ate up time recognizing the trap has been triggered, getting out of the window and running to the next place by the time Jason recovers, and then they're right back where they were before: in a cabin waiting for Jason to enter.  Oh, and Jason's already outside the cabin, making the pursuit for him even easier.

or say you want to hold him in place outside the door to make it easier to demask him (i mean...okay?).  So, he's there outside the door: now what.  Now you're blindly swinging a weapon like a drunk sorority girl with a pinata and maybe you hit him in those several seconds, or maybe you clip on the doorframe eating up the number of swings you can take before your weapon breaks.  Oh also, now when he's out of the trap, you're closer to the door and closer to Jason when he does break down the door.

Now, best case scenario if the trap is inside the cabin: Jason gets trapped.  You now have those seconds to go out the window (which you'd be prepped for anyway since you know the door is broken AND can see him walk into it vs waiting for the trap points) AND when Jason finally breaks out of the trap, he now has to get back OUT of the cabin, otherwise he wastes shift time.  You've effectively the maximum amount of distance between you and Jason this way.

or say you want some free hits to demask him.  once he's in the trap inside, you now know EXACTLY where you're swinging, making every hit count.  You can even time your escape correctly just by recognizing the trap escape animation.

Tip to ensnare Jason on a trap:

All predators have something called "Prey Drive." Prey drive is the instinctive inclination of a carnivore to find, pursue and capture prey.  It's the reason why they tell you not to run away from bears or mountain lions: because it triggers their instinct to chase you, even if they don't want to.  Humans being predators and not being able to turn off that instinct while playing Jason, I use that to my advantage:  Put yourself close to the trap and run away when Jason breaks down the door.  Do it quickly after the door is broken, and in my experience, most Jasons get caught up in their Prey drive that they forget to check under the door, instantly catching them in the trap.

18 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

I still don't understand the rationale for putting it outside the door.  In addition to being a great way to ensnare fellow counselors, does it REALLY provide a benefit to counselors in a pursuit anyway?

Let's break it down: in simple game mechanics, a trap is something that pauses a players movement, holding them in place for several seconds.  This is used to buy time in the game, and presumably either close distance between a counselor and jason for jason, or put more distance between a counselor and Jason for counselors.

So with that in mind, lets discuss the best case scenario if jason is trapped outside a door.  The counselor can choose to escape the cabin, but they've already ate up time recognizing the trap has been triggered, getting out of the window and running to the next place by the time Jason recovers, and then they're right back where they were before: in a cabin waiting for Jason to enter.  Oh, and Jason's already outside the cabin, making the pursuit for him even easier.

or say you want to hold him in place outside the door to make it easier to demask him (i mean...okay?).  So, he's there outside the door: now what.  Now you're blindly swinging a weapon like a drunk sorority girl with a pinata and maybe you hit him in those several seconds, or maybe you clip on the doorframe eating up the number of swings you can take before your weapon breaks.  Oh also, now when he's out of the trap, you're closer to the door and closer to Jason when he does break down the door.

Now, best case scenario if the trap is inside the cabin: Jason gets trapped.  You now have those seconds to go out the window (which you'd be prepped for anyway since you know the door is broken AND can see him walk into it vs waiting for the trap points) AND when Jason finally breaks out of the trap, he now has to get back OUT of the cabin, otherwise he wastes shift time.  You've effectively the maximum amount of distance between you and Jason this way.

or say you want some free hits to demask him.  once he's in the trap inside, you now know EXACTLY where you're swinging, making every hit count.  You can even time your escape correctly just by recognizing the trap escape animation.

Tip to ensnare Jason on a trap:

All predators have something called "Prey Drive." Prey drive is the instinctive inclination of a carnivore to find, pursue and capture prey.  It's the reason why they tell you not to run away from bears or mountain lions: because it triggers their instinct to chase you, even if they don't want to.  Humans being predators and not being able to turn off that instinct while playing Jason, I use that to my advantage:  Put yourself close to the trap and run away when Jason breaks down the door.  Do it quickly after the door is broken, and in my experience, most Jasons get caught up in their Prey drive that they forget to check under the door, instantly catching them in the trap.

There is another outcome from placing the trap inside the door.

Jason spends time busting the door down, he sees the trap. He then pauses weighing his options. He decides to shift in the cabin. He misses his grab and you flee out the window. Now he has to burn his morph, wait till his shift cools down, or step in the trap to get out of the cabin.

This can delay him for a good amount of time, and those extra seconds can be the difference between survival and death.

3 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

There is another outcome from placing the trap inside the door.

Jason spends time busting the door down, he sees the trap. He then pauses weighing his options. He decides to shift in the cabin. He misses his grab and youbflee out the window. Now he has to burn his morph, wait till his shift cools down, or step in the trap to get out of the cabin.

This can delay him for a good amount of time, and those extra seconds can be the difference between survival and death.

So, what you're saying is, placing a trap outside the door is about as useful as a sweatervest

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/926994e5-ec61-4cc3-9e6f-6eddd9e2fbe8#Byeche8I6G.copy