Shadesofjoe

Hot Take: I Still Enjoy The "Original Three" The Most

New content is the lifeblood of any game. We all want to see new maps for F13 for the sake of variety. But if I'm going to be perfectly honest, I enjoy Higgins Haven, Crystal Lake, and Packanack more than Jarvis House or Pinehurst.

I don't want to seem like a downer. I know the devs put a lot of work into the two most recent maps. And it's not that I dislike them, but I feel like the "original three" are the most balanced in terms of counselor/Jason advantage. Jarvis House (and Pinehurst, to a lesser degree) tend to favor Jason when you consider the layout and part distribution. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's nice to have some maps that are harder for even organized counselors, but if you're twisting my arm, I'm still going to choose Higgins, Crystal, or Packanack if I want to have the most fun--either as Jason or a counselor.

I agree completely. Jarvis and Pinehurst unfairly favor Jason. I’m not arguing that Jason should have an overall advantage, but not to the point where the scale is flipped on something that’s out of both Jason and the counselors’ hands. It’s also dumb how small maps unfairly favor counselors. It takes me usually 2-4 minutes to find all supplies for BOTH cars. There needs to be some rework on the balancing that currently in place regarding maps.

Don't be ashamed man, I'm the exact same way. I still prefer the original 3 maps the most, but I don't mind playing on Jarvis and Pinehurst for the sake of variety.

@Shadesofjoe I enjoy the original 3 as well, because I feel the most comfortable playing them both as Jason and as a counselor. Higgins is probably my favorite map. I will say that I have taken a liking to the Jarvis House map. Pinehurst is ok, but I like Jarvis more. The only maps I really don't care for are the small ones. I'll still play on them, but they are definitely not my first choice.

the original 3 suck compared to pinehurst and jarvis  fyi theres no map that favors jason 

11 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

@Shadesofjoe I enjoy the original 3 as well, because I feel the most comfortable playing them both as Jason and as a counselor.

That’s the problem though, everyone who’s been playing the game from the start feels comfortable with these maps cause we’ve memorized them so well. Had Jarvis or Pinehurst been out on release day, people wouldn’t have such a negative opinion on them. 

Small maps need to be revamped though they’re terrible.

Jarvis House is poorly designed and beyond salvaging and Pinehurst needs more objective spawn locations so everything important isn't in a single quarter of the map. Higgins Small is the only good small map with Packanack Small being the worst.

Crystal Lake is, and will remain my favorite I think. I'm not a fan of the new maps, including the small ones. I'll play on any map, but Crystal Lake is just amazing to me. First map I played on, I actually died in the repair shop on the west side of the map. My Kenny was just standing there, admiring the detail of my favorite scene from the movie finally rendered in a game. Total fanboy as Jason walked up from behind, I didn't even care! I knew I was hooked on a new addiction right then!

14 minutes ago, doitagain said:

That’s the problem though, everyone who’s been playing the game from the start feels comfortable with these maps cause we’ve memorized them so well. Had Jarvis or Pinehurst been out on release day, people wouldn’t have such a negative opinion on them. 

Small maps do need revamped though they’re terrible.

I don't necessarily see it as a problem, although I agree that it can be an unfair advantage against newer players. Especially those that are inexperienced playing as Jason.

12 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

Jarvis House is poorly designed and beyond salvaging

I'm just going to have to disagree with you here. I actually enjoy playing the Jarvis House map. No doubt that I've had my share of rough matches trying to escape this map, but I have a blast with it. 

• Like 1

I favor the original three as well...it doesn’t favor Jason or a counselor. The small maps favors counselors and Jarvis and Pinehurst favors Jason. The original three are a great balance. You have to SEARCH to find the propellor on Pinehurst, the boat is always near Muholland Camp and sometimes the propellor is all the way in Camorillo Camp. On Jarvis House one boat part is always on the far island opposite from the boat on you have to venture across the entire map. I have rarely escaped in the car on Jarvis map and nothing EVER gets done on that map. They are fun maps because they provide a challenge but most of the time wind up being tedious because of having to carry the parts all the way across the map.

1 minute ago, Rexfellis said:

I don't necessarily see it as a problem, although I agree that it can be an unfair advantage against newer players. 

I'm just going to have to disagree with you here. I actually enjoy playing the Jarvis House map. No doubt that I've had my share of rough matches trying to escape this map, but I still have fun on it. 

I do not like playing Jarvis because of it’s lack of cabins and having to venture across the map to find parts. Although I’ll say the two big houses are beautiful and have great places to hide from Jason.

No issues with Jarvis.

The narrow, mountainous paths come right out of the movie and their dangerous, as they should be.

They could've added more cabins on either side once you get out of those narrow paths. Other than that, no issues.

I would agree though that the original 3 maps have a charm about them.

Still..the game needs new, innovative settings more than ever. Grendel is next and I expect any variation of Part 8 is probably going to take time, so we'll be stuck with more woods and cabins laced around iconic Part 6, Part 7 and Part 9 locations.

An abandoned camp blood, a winter crystal lake could be easy cosmetic maps, but even a Part 4 Morgue map would take time.

3 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

No issues with Jarvis.

The narrow, mountainous paths come right out of the movie and their dangerous, as they should be.

They could've added more cabins on either side once you get out of those narrow paths. Other than that, no issues.

I would agree thought that the original 3 maps have a charm about them.

Still..the game needs new, innovative settings more than ever. Grendel is next and I expect any variation of Part 8 is probably going to take time, so we'll be stuck with more woods and cabins laced around iconic Part 6, Part 7 and Part 9 locations.

An abandoned camp blood, a winter crystal lake could be easy cosmetic maps, but even a Part 4 Morgue map would take time.

My issue with Jarvis isn't so much the layout as it is the item spawn locations. They're just so unforgiving. I'm not saying the propeller needs to spawn in the house right next to the boat. But when it's all the way across the map, that's just too far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

I do not like playing Jarvis because of it’s lack of cabins and having to venture across the map to find parts. Although I’ll say the two big houses are beautiful and have great places to hide from Jason.

Jarvis can be a chore as a counselor, but that may be why I like it, the challenge. I agree that you can find plenty of hiding spots at the Jarvis residence. I will say that if I spawn either at Dier Bay or Fire Branch, I get a little nervous. I'm not gonna win many footraces with Deborah and both of those are pretty bottle-necked. But, like any other obstacle, you just gotta adapt and overcome.

Yea it seems the original Four are the best.  Of course, they are far and away the best movies as well.  Im not a huge Jarvis Map fan but it sure if Farr better than PineWORST.  Ughhh 

People thinks its easier for Jason?  I think its the most difficult map for Jason due to the sheer volume/vastness of it 

34 minutes ago, pioneer67fkd said:

the original 3 suck compared to pinehurst and jarvis  fyi theres no map that favors jason 

Pinehurst and Jarvis house undoubtedly favor Jason. Since there is always 1 boat and a randomized car. Which is unfair since it randomly spawns a 2 seater. This ultimately give Jason less to worry about in regards to counselors escaping in that vehicle.

26 minutes ago, Redrum138 said:

Crystal Lake is, and will remain my favorite I think. I'm not a fan of the new maps, including the small ones. I'll play on any map, but Crystal Lake is just amazing to me. First map I played on, I actually died in the repair shop on the west side of the map. My Kenny was just standing there, admiring the detail of my favorite scene from the movie finally rendered in a game. Total fanboy as Jason walked up from behind, I didn't even care! I knew I was hooked on a new addiction right then!

I have to agree, to me Crystal lake seems the most accurate to the movies. As a counselor I like playing it because it's more of a challenge not having 1 big cabin that I can loop Jason through. There are more different obstacles to play with. The garage, boathouse, and the archery range make for some interesting chases.

As Jason I find it a challenge also because it's the one I most often have a car escaping and there are so many cabins spread out it's hard  to keep track of which ones you've already busted the door off of. So when I'm chasing someone I never can predict which way they're gonna go when they bail out a window.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

Pinehurst and Jarvis house undoubtedly favor Jason. Since there is always 1 boat and a randomized car. Which is unfair since it randomly spawns a 2 seater. This ultimately give Jason less to worry about in regards to counselors escaping in that vehicle.

no they don't if you spread out its almost impossible for jason to track on those maps and its easier to avoid his shifting if he is chasing you on them as well 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pioneer67fkd said:

no they don't if you spread out its almost impossible for jason to track on those maps and its easier to avoid his shifting if he is chasing you on them as well 

That might be the case if you have  a -morph Jason. But even a normal morph Jason can dominate easily considering the space between objectives and items.

7 minutes ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

That might be the case if you have  a -morph Jason. But even a normal morph Jason can dominate easily considering the space between objectives and items.

morph is unreliable it could morph to a spot far enough away that objective can be completed 

2 minutes ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

^^This. I really don't understand the problems people playing as Jason are having on the larger maps. Even with -morph, it's really not that hard to cover the maps. I'm not going to tag Dorian in this one, because he will just keep coming back with the same, tired bullshit. He's infested enough threads with his whining and boasting as it is. 

I personally have an easier time as Jason on the Pinehurst and Jarvis House maps. I don't play Jason often, but I have found that it is much more difficult for the counselors to complete objectives on these two maps. I usually have a pretty decent kill rate on both, and I'm really not a very good killer. Fixing shit and driving is my jam! :lol:

3 minutes ago, pioneer67fkd said:

morph is unreliable it could morph to a spot far enough away that objective can be completed 

True! On Jarvis, morphing too close to the bridge by the cops will put you in the lake under the bridge. Takes a while to get back up to the road, giving counselors an uncontested escape. And the many fences and rocks make shifting more difficult.

I'm going go say the same thing what I've always been saying.

There is nothing wrong with the landscape of the 2 new maps. You can easily fix those maps by properly spacing out the objectives and making sure that parts spawn within the 4 cabin radius. If you fix that you fix 90% of the problem.

Small maps are the same thing. Instead of having parts spawn near the objectives, it should be at least 2 cabins away and no further then the 5th cabin. That way Jason can have a bit more time to work with instead of seeing a car start running when he hasn't got shift yet.

It also helps if you can have 2 cars on the 2 new maps and have a boat option on the small maps.

17 minutes ago, pioneer67fkd said:

I agree that morph pretty annoying in that regard and isn’t 100% accurate. But it’s doesn’t take you far enough to be considered unreliable.

5 minutes ago, Loading said:

I'm going go say the same thing what I've always been saying.

There is nothing wrong with the landscape of the 2 new maps. You can easily fix those maps by properly spacing out the objectives and making sure that parts spawn within the 4 cabin radius. If you fix that you fix 90% of the problem.

Small maps are the same thing. Instead of having parts spawn near the objectives, it should be at least 2 cabins away and no further then the 5th cabin. That way Jason can have a bit more time to work with instead of seeing a car start running when he hasn't got shift yet.

It also helps if you can have 2 cars on the 2 new maps and have a boat option on the small maps.

Exactly. My biggest issue is with the small maps the spawn places are ridiculous. In the first minute alone you can find a battery and gas two houses away from a car. There needs to be a overhaul on the spawn locations.