Sign in to follow this  
jetlee2777

Fear composure bar new perk suggestion.

Hello there Gunmedia and Illfonic.

I would like to suggest if your're playing now as counselors to add a composure/fear bar, where you can see the current value pretty much like a scale from 1-10, there you will see like for example on Jenny exactly when she started to get fear, and not just by her facial expressions.

And maybe also add a perk, which will help to improve/increase your overall composure.

Cause this would be very helpful esp. for very low composure counselors, just like Chad.

Thank you. 

• Like 1

TBH, I'd rather that such a feature not be added.

Horror/survival games tend to favor mechanics where you don't have a concrete idea of your status, such as being forced to determine your remaining health by looking at your avatar in-game (which is obviously difficult if they already have blood on them). The reason is because it builds up suspense, making it more difficult for the player to know if they're about to be put into a trickier situation. Friday the 13th is a survival horror game, so having more HUD features only puts players at ease since they'll know exactly how long they have before their counselors starts to panic. As of right now the lack of clarity puts more pressure on the counselor to play carefully, which helps set up the mood for, well, a horror game.

3 hours ago, Trident77 said:

TBH, I'd rather that such a feature not be added.

Horror/survival games tend to favor mechanics where you don't have a concrete idea of your status, such as being forced to determine your remaining health by looking at your avatar in-game (which is obviously difficult if they already have blood on them). The reason is because it builds up suspense, making it more difficult for the player to know if they're about to be put into a trickier situation. Friday the 13th is a survival horror game, so having more HUD features only puts players at ease since they'll know exactly how long they have before their counselors starts to panic. As of right now the lack of clarity puts more pressure on the counselor to play carefully, which helps set up the mood for, well, a horror game.

Ok but the gameplay mechanic is broken, cause what I notice is no matter now if I have my flashlight on in the dark or not, my counselor still got fear sooner or later, and probably also starts to stumble.

And eventhough my counselor got zero fear, and high composure they can be still easy grab killed by Jason, and I'm not talking now of an instant kill, but weapon kill.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jetlee2777 said:

Ok but the gameplay mechanic is broken, cause what I notice is no matter now if I have my flashlight on in the dark or not, my counselor still got fear sooner or later, and probably also starts to stumble.

And eventhough my counselor got zero fear, and high composure they can be still easy grab killed by Jason, and I'm not talking now of an instant kill, but weapon kill.

The flashlight alone won't prevent fear build up in the dark. The game weighs multiple factors such as whether you're alone, if you're in the dark without a light, if you have a weapon, etc. So if your counselor is starting to panic in the dark even with a flashlight it's because you had more fear factors going against you rather than ones that reduces them.

But it's for the best. If a counselor had no fear in the dark with just a flashlight turned on, you could essentially stand still in some random corner of the map, and never be found until Jason finally gets his Rage ability (which would take a long time).

Grab kills are meant to be difficult to break out of. It's countered by having teammates nearby who can free you, which helps reinforce the idea that you should cooperate with your team so that someone will back you up.

1 hour ago, Trident77 said:

The flashlight alone won't prevent fear build up in the dark. The game weighs multiple factors such as whether you're alone, if you're in the dark without a light, if you have a weapon, etc. So if your counselor is starting to panic in the dark even with a flashlight it's because you had more fear factors going against you rather than ones that reduces them.

But it's for the best. If a counselor had no fear in the dark with just a flashlight turned on, you could essentially stand still in some random corner of the map, and never be found until Jason finally gets his Rage ability (which would take a long time).

Grab kills are meant to be difficult to break out of. It's countered by having teammates nearby who can free you, which helps reinforce the idea that you should cooperate with your team so that someone will back you up.

Ok and how can you reduce now your fear?, let me guess with broken perks?

Well but you still make ping noises though.

Nah the breaking free of Jasons grab is broken, and even teammates are nearby like you said they can't always save you either because of three factors instant kill, miss the swing, or to slow swing animation.

5 hours ago, jetlee2777 said:

Nah the breaking free of Jasons grab is broken, and even teammates are nearby like you said they can't always save you either because of three factors instant kill, miss the swing, or to slow swing animation.

The fear reduction perks (Prepardness, Night Owl, Nerves of Steel, Controlled Breathing, Ice Cold, Lone Wolf, and Teamwork) aren't broken, you're just failing to keep the counselors fear in check because you aren't doing actions in-game that helps calm them down. You should use hiding spots for a handful of seconds as well as stay within light/barricaded cabins to reduce fear, and there's more ways as well. There's a list of them here on this website.

Like I said earlier, the grab isn't broken. You're dealing with a supernatural entity who has titanic strength like effortlessly busting down heavily reinforced doors; it's pretty obvious you're not going to have an easy time breaking free, and you can counter grabs with teammates/pocket knives.

Fear of the unknown is mankind's deepest rooted terror. Playing F13, we know we are not going to be killed. We know we are safe in our homes. So how does the game "scare you" and make you fear for your characters life? 

It makes things unknown. 

You need a general idea of your state to play the game, but if I knew on a 10 scale where I was and how I could go before fear caused problems, it takes the fear out of the game. I'd know I could do action X for Y length of time before I needed to refresh. 

F13 doesn't need that. The fact is that there are ways to guesstimate your fear level and it works fine. The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented. 

6 hours ago, jetlee2777 said:

I break free of Jason's grip mashing the 'e' button.... sometimes, it gets harder to do as the game goes on. Fear is probably a factor here, if it isn't then it should be.... rage should be a major factor here as well, if it already isn't. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't it be more difficult to break free of Jason's grip for anyone.... when he is in rage mode?
   The three factors you give are not an issue, they should be there. Jason should be able to instantly kill you. Technically... just like in real life.... you are alive, you are alive.... you are dead. Death is always instant, if you are not dead... you are still alive. Not having the option of a kill animation that can start instantly is way too much of a nerf to Jason and way too much of a buff to counselors. Most of the kills (almost all of them in fact) require you to move to find room to do them. Miss the swing? Are you saying no one should ever miss? How unrealistic is that? No one is perfect. Hysterical strength may be a thing, hysterical accuracy is not now, nor ever will be a thing. Slow swing? Are you saying everyone but Jason should swing so fast no one would ever be able to counter it? I refer you to my last point (hysterical accuracy should never be a thing) with the addition of; the counselors do not and should not have super powers (unless they add Tina from part 7).
   You also forgot the human shield tactic. Some people also complain about not being able to save their friends because Jason puts his victim in the way of their swing. I would point out to anyone who says this: The human shield is a viable and realistic tactic. If you want to strike anything, you need to be in the correct position to do so. A counselor's weapon should never 'magically' phase through another counselor (even if it was another counselor standing in the way of the swing by accident) to save someone from Jason's grip because that person could not be bothered to properly position themselves, or could not do it in time.
   Fear is a hidden mechanic for several reasons, all perfectly reasonable. You can read the wiki page that @Trident77 linked in his post to find out how to reduce fear. Reducing fear should also not be instant or easy to do. The fear mechanic adds some realism that would otherwise not be there, no one is going to act afraid in this game and put themselves at a disadvantage on purpose. Who is going to stumble on purpose when Jason is following close behind them?

1 hour ago, Risinggrave said:

Fear of the unknown is mankind's deepest rooted terror. Playing F13, we know we are not going to be killed. We know we are safe in our homes. So how does the game "scare you" and make you fear for your characters life? 

It makes things unknown. 

You need a general idea of your state to play the game, but if I knew on a 10 scale where I was and how I could go before fear caused problems, it takes the fear out of the game. I'd know I could do action X for Y length of time before I needed to refresh. 

F13 doesn't need that. The fact is that there are ways to guesstimate your fear level and it works fine. The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented. 

Fear is a funny one, I wouldn't really want a bar telling me how 'scared' my character was, having the screen go darker and stamina regenerate slower is good enough. If anything the fear factor is slight. It could be a lot worse, a lot harder. You could have your character in semi-mental-breakdown in which they end up making a lot more noise moving about and sobbing or stopping to throw up etc etc. Perhaps making the outside loos more of an objective to improve composure. What's strange is you can avoid fear as well, for example should you want to run a walking Jason round the long table in a cabin you can quite easily stay so far in front that you don't have to directly look at Jason and thus your fear level never rises even when Jason's about 6 feet behind you.

There does need to be a fear bar so counselors can play more effectively. The same argument against a fear meter could be applied to the stamina bar yet we have one because it’s crucial to properly gauge how much stamina one has. Many of us just keep pushing and pushing until we get as many objectives done and escape or we die. Frankly, I run Deb into the ground no effs given. Fear? Loneliness? Stamina? Traps? Jason?  Nothing stops me from objectives if it benefits the team.

I do know that fear accumulates but because I don’t know exactly how affected I am, I just keep pushing. If I could properly gauge how bad my fear is, I would definitely take measures to reduce it. My philosophy is if I still have my mini-map I’m ok, even tho I can tell that fear has gotten out of hand by the amount of black. Either way, there’s no quantifiable way to properly gauge fear level like there is stamina so it really doesn’t make sense to have one and not the other. I still find it odd that we have a stamina meter but no life or fear meter. There are many inconsistent components to the game like this. We are supposed to wing it with figuring out how much life and fear we have but we do know how much stamina. If anything it should be the opposite. We should have a meter for each or no meters at all. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 7:09 PM, Trident77 said:

The fear reduction perks (Prepardness, Night Owl, Nerves of Steel, Controlled Breathing, Ice Cold, Lone Wolf, and Teamwork) aren't broken, you're just failing to keep the counselors fear in check because you aren't doing actions in-game that helps calm them down. You should use hiding spots for a handful of seconds as well as stay within light/barricaded cabins to reduce fear, and there's more ways as well. There's a list of them here on this website.

Like I said earlier, the grab isn't broken. You're dealing with a supernatural entity who has titanic strength like effortlessly busting down heavily reinforced doors; it's pretty obvious you're not going to have an easy time breaking free, and you can counter grabs with teammates/pocket knives.

on the "teammates saving you" note:

I got grabbed in a match yesterday: 2 counselors with baseball bats, 1 counselor with a wrench - all 3 were hitting jason and he wasnt even phased, and they hit him multiple times, so eitjer something is seriously broken or idk....

Then another match: i hit jason with a bat 3 times in a row and he doesnt get stunned, and its the freaking part 3 jason who doesnt even have high stun resist, and i was running a +16% stun chance perk even

Something is seriously broken and either not all hits register or idk.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

There does need to be a fear bar so counselors can play more effectively. The same argument against a fear meter could be applied to the stamina bar yet we have one because it’s crucial to properly gauge how much stamina one has. Many of us just keep pushing and pushing until we get as many objectives done and escape or we die. Frankly, I run Deb into the ground no effs given. Fear? Loneliness? Stamina? Traps? Jason?  Nothing stops me from objectives if it benefits the team.

I do know that fear accumulates but because I don’t know exactly how affected I am, I just keep pushing. If I could properly gauge how bad my fear is, I would definitely take measures to reduce it. My philosophy is if I still have my mini-map I’m ok, even tho I can tell that fear has gotten out of hand by the amount of black. Either way, there’s no quantifiable way to properly gauge fear level like there is stamina so it really doesn’t make sense to have one and not the other. I still find it odd that we have a stamina meter but no life or fear meter. There are many inconsistent components to the game like this. We are supposed to wing it with figuring out how much life and fear we have but we do know how much stamina. If anything it should be the opposite. We should have a meter for each or no meters at all. 

Dude, at heart this is still a video game. I didn't say everything in a horror game had to be determined by looking at the avatar in-game. The main thing here is aesthetics: it's easy to tell when a counselor is afraid, as well as how afraid they are (they start doing dumber things like muttering to themselves when hiding), but stamina is more difficult because there's no real way of telling how tired someone is just by looking at them (not to mention it would involve new animations done through mocap sessions, something that costs a lot of money).

There's a difference between "challenging" and "frustrating." You could play a game of chess with someone on a boat set on fire out in the middle of the sea, but while it would make things more difficult it wouldn't be more fun. Knowing your stamina is one of the concessions that makes the experience less frustrating at the cost there are ways to weaken stamina regeneration (fear levels).

What we have currently have for the HUD works; if anything, the mini-map could possibly be something that you don't start off with until you find an item in-game, like maybe a compass, but even I don't have any real problems with what we currently have. This whole thread is just complaining about something that is a non-issue.

11 hours ago, HateMe said:

on the "teammates saving you" note:

I got grabbed in a match yesterday: 2 counselors with baseball bats, 1 counselor with a wrench - all 3 were hitting jason and he wasnt even phased, and they hit him multiple times, so eitjer something is seriously broken or idk....

Then another match: i hit jason with a bat 3 times in a row and he doesnt get stunned, and its the freaking part 3 jason who doesnt even have high stun resist.

Something is seriously broken and either not all hits register or idk.

Hit detection in the game has always been a problem. It might be one of several things that the up coming game engine update might solve.

Or you might be hitting your teammate on accident when Jason grabs them. Or you're hitting Jason too early before he completes the grab counselor animation. There's a lot of possibilities here.

1 minute ago, Trident77 said:

Dude, at heart this is still a video game. I didn't say everything in a horror game had to be determined by looking at the avatar in-game.

There's a difference between "challenging" and "frustrating." You could play a game of chess with someone on a boat set on fire out in the middle of the sea, but while it would make things more difficult it wouldn't be more fun. Knowing your stamina is one of the concessions that makes the experience less frustrating at the cost there are ways to weaken stamina regeneration (fear levels).

What we have currently have for the HUD works; if anything, the mini-map could possibly be something that you don't start off with until you find an item in-game, like maybe a compass, but even I don't have any real problems with what we currently have. This whole thread is just complaining about something that is a non-issue.

Hit detection in the game has always been a problem. It might be one of several things that the up coming game engine update might solve.

Or you might be hitting your teammate on accident when Jason grabs them. Or you're hitting Jason too early before he completes the grab counselor animation. There's a lot of possibilities here.

Well no jason was facing them with his back, so hitting the counselor i find rather not possible, he didnt kill me right away he was just holding me, so hitting too late or too early should also not be a factor here. And it wasnt this bad always it literally changes in one of the recent updates as before that i never experienced this. And its not just me some of my friends say the same thing.

I hope this gets fixed cause this is just ridiculous.

Also they should add an IQ test before playing this game cause 9/10 times the person that comes back as Tommy is a total idiot LOL